IndiaDivine.org

ah slug nuggets

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Apparently they get a mild electric shock from contact with copper. I can only assume that they found ways around it ( overhanging plants? / jet propelled backpacks/ grappling hooks? ) The Valley Veganheartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote: Hi AnoukWe bought a couple of reels of 2 inch copper tape. My 'greenhouse' is just a plastic one, and we put tape around the bottom of the walls, inside and out, on the stand around the bottom edges - everywhere where a slug or snail could possible reach. The slugs and snails still got in and munched my seedlings. I put a snail on the tape, and it moved pretty quickly, so they obviously don't like it but are prepared to go over it to get to my seedlings!!!We will try again next year, but it is very

disappointing.Jo , "Anouk Sickler" wrote:>> Sorry to hear that jo, It must be going around.> > something ate my melons too. > the plants just wilted and tiny little undeveloped melons > were just left there. > > It is a shame, because we were looking forward to eating them> and couldn't wait.> > I might have slugs, although I have actually never seen one.> someone mentioned something about copper here, but how do you > find old information on this site? I did a search on vegan chat> but the search was innefective. > > I cannot stand to hear people in my other group that I belong to> talking about how to drwon them in beer. > > I did remove the corn caterpillars. but, might also have some ohter> damaging insects, because> There are holes in the emerging baby corns,

that have not > yet developed for eating. > > I can't tell the good insects from the bad ones. : & > > I shall try again, just like we all do. > > > > > > , "jo" wrote:> >> > Sorry to hear that Fraggle. If it's any consolation the slugs have been> > busy here while I was away and I have lost about 75% of my home grown> > annuals, and they have had a go at my latest tomato plant as well. > Also the> > neighbours cats have dug up some of my recently planted annuals in> tubs so> > they could use the tubs as lavatories! Gardening is such fun.> > > > Jo> >>

Guest guest

Hi Peter / Jo

>Apparently they get a mild electric shock from contact with copper. I can only assume that they found ways around it

>( overhanging plants? / jet propelled backpacks/ grappling hooks? )

Or perhaps Jo has masochistic slugs ;-)

BTW... why the heck has started putting posts in blasted text boxes... makes it damn awkward to leave the bit you want to reply to in the e-mail!!!!

BB

Peter

Guest guest

LOL - I think it was grappling hooks. We put tape everywhere they could possibly reach, and on the ground around the bottom, inside and out. They might have given each other piggy-backs.

Jo

-

peter VV

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 6:45 PM

Re: Re: ah slug nuggets

Apparently they get a mild electric shock from contact with copper. I can only assume that they found ways around it ( overhanging plants? / jet propelled backpacks/ grappling hooks? )

The Valley Veganheartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:

Hi AnoukWe bought a couple of reels of 2 inch copper tape. My 'greenhouse' is just a plastic one, and we put tape around the bottom of the walls, inside and out, on the stand around the bottom edges - everywhere where a slug or snail could possible reach. The slugs and snails still got in and munched my seedlings. I put a snail on the tape, and it moved pretty quickly, so they obviously don't like it but are prepared to go over it to get to my seedlings!!!We will try again next year, but it is very disappointing.Jo , "Anouk Sickler" wrote:>> Sorry to hear that jo, It must be going around.> > something ate my melons too. > the plants just wilted and tiny little undeveloped melons > were just left there. > > It is a shame, because we were looking forward to eating them> and couldn't wait.> > I might have slugs, although I have actually never seen one.> someone mentioned something about copper here, but how do you > find old information on this site? I did a search on vegan chat> but the search was innefective. > > I cannot stand to hear people in my other group that I belong to> talking about how to drwon them in beer. > > I did remove the corn caterpillars. but, might also have some ohter> damaging insects, because> There are holes in the emerging baby corns, that have not > yet developed for eating. > > I can't tell the good insects from the bad ones. : & > > I shall try again, just like we all do. > > > > > > , "jo" wrote:> >> > Sorry to hear that Fraggle. If it's any consolation the slugs have been> > busy here while I was away and I have lost about 75% of my home grown> > annuals, and they have had a go at my latest tomato plant as well. > Also the> > neighbours cats have dug up some of my recently planted annuals in> tubs so> > they could use the tubs as lavatories! Gardening is such fun.> > > > Jo> >>

Guest guest

LOL - I reckon they are.

The new layout seems to be causing different problems for different people - don't like it!

BBJo

-

Peter

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 7:37 PM

Hi Peter / Jo

>Apparently they get a mild electric shock from contact with copper. I can only assume that they found ways around it

BTW... why the heck has started putting posts in blasted text boxes... makes it damn awkward to leave the bit you want to reply to in the e-mail!!!!

BB

Peter

Guest guest

i'm not gettin aton of mail, the only reason i know is cuz i see responses to e-mails i've never seen

and, a bunch of my digests in other groups are coming up with nothing in them

great...

jo Jun 6, 2006 11:53 AM Re: Re: ah slug nuggets

LOL - I reckon they are.

The new layout seems to be causing different problems for different people - don't like it!

BBJo

-

Peter

Tuesday, June 06, 2006 7:37 PM

Hi Peter / Jo

BB

Peter

I don't wanna be no war hero

Don't want a movie made about me

I don't wanna be no war hero

Just get away from the madness I see