IndiaDivine.org

New Dr Who episode

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Well, well, what a strange episode. It started well, and ended well, but didnt do much for me in the middle, but all said and done I liked it! I know there are probably a lot of Dr Who fans will hate it, but all things considered , I liked it. It was entertaining, and thats all it should be. The Valley Vegan..................Peter H

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Guest guest

Hi Peter

It could have been worse, but I wasn't keen. I would have preferred it if it had been a stand alone play, not a Doctor Who episode. Peter Kay was better than I expected he would be, and Mark Warren was good, but I didn't like the mix of style - old Beatles films, Morgan, a Suitable Case For Treatment etc. I most definitely did not like the 'comedy' chase in the first few scenes.

Jo

-

peter VV

Saturday, June 17, 2006 9:05 PM

Re: New Dr Who episode

Well, well, what a strange episode. It started well, and ended well, but didnt do much for me in the middle, but all said and done I liked it!

I know there are probably a lot of Dr Who fans will hate it, but all things considered , I liked it. It was entertaining, and thats all it should be.

The Valley Vegan..................

Peter H

Guest guest

I dont think it fair to criticise RTD for choosing to include humour, he isnt the only writer/producer to do so with Dr Who, there has been some humour as long as I can remember. What he has done to the series is short of miraculous, given that it was dropped by the BBC originally, and BBC Wales had to save it and bring it back, and it is as popular with children if not more than it ever has been since the seventies. The Valley Vegan.................jo <jo.heartwork wrote: Hi Peter / Peter I would like to know why comedy is included in Doctor Who at all. It was originally a serious science

fiction programme. If RTD wants to produce comedy why doesn't he produce something different? BBJo - Peter Kebbell Sunday, June 18, 2006 10:31 AM Re: New Dr Who episode Hi Peter >Well,

well, what a strange episode. It started well, and ended well, but didnt do much for me in the middle, but all said and done I liked it >I know there are probably a lot of Dr Who fans will hate it, but all things considered , I liked it. It was entertaining, and thats all it should >be. Considering what I'd heard about it beforehand, I was pleasantly surprised. Definitely the worst so far this series IMHO, but I thought it was still better than the one where the Dr took the Slitheen out to dinner last series, and not as bad as the worst of the classic series. I thought with this one, it was a very poor storyline, with a bad script, which was only saved by some excellent performances from the supporting cast (not that the regulars had much to do!!!) I just think it's a shame that Russell Davies seems to feel the need to waste an episode each season with some sort of attempt at slapstick.

BB Peter Peter H

Guest guest

Actually, I thought all the comedy worked well, especially chase and the comments about which colour bucket Rose should have used! I thought that the actress who played Rose`s mum had a particularly good scene where she chucked Elton out.........didnt think she was much of an actress before that. As I said, probably too quirky fo formost Dr Who fans. Do you watch the Dr Who confidentials on BBC3 after each episode?, it transpires that the reason they had an episode with not a lot of the Dr is that they were filming 2 episodes at the same time, might explain a lot! The Valley Vegan..........jo <jo.heartwork wrote: Hi Peter It could have been worse, but I wasn't keen. I would have preferred it if it had been a stand alone play, not a Doctor Who episode. Peter Kay was better than I expected he would be, and Mark Warren was good, but I didn't like the mix of style - old Beatles films, Morgan, a Suitable Case For Treatment etc. I most definitely did not like the 'comedy' chase in the first few scenes. Jo - peter VV Saturday, June 17, 2006 9:05 PM Re: New Dr Who episode Well, well, what a strange episode. It started well, and ended well, but didnt do much for me in the middle, but all said and done I liked it! I know there are probably a lot of Dr Who fans will hate it, but all things considered , I liked it. It was entertaining, and thats all it should be. The Valley Vegan.................. Peter H Send instant messages to your

online friends http://uk.messenger. Peter H

Guest guest

Hi Peter

>Well, well, what a strange episode. It started well, and ended well, but didnt do much for me in the middle, but all said and done I liked it

>I know there are probably a lot of Dr Who fans will hate it, but all things considered , I liked it. It was entertaining, and thats all it should

>be.

Considering what I'd heard about it beforehand, I was pleasantly surprised. Definitely the worst so far this series IMHO, but I thought it was still better than the one where the Dr took the Slitheen out to dinner last series, and not as bad as the worst of the classic series. I thought with this one, it was a very poor storyline, with a bad script, which was only saved by some excellent performances from the supporting cast (not that the regulars had much to do!!!) I just think it's a shame that Russell Davies seems to feel the need to waste an episode each season with some sort of attempt at slapstick.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

HI Peter

I like quirky shows - The Young Ones, Bottom, The Hippies, Spaced and loads of others I can't think of at the moment. I don't think this episode of Doctor Who was good enough to be called quirky though. Why did you find the chase scene amusing - it was old-fashioned pantomime, which is good on the stage at Christmas, but this is Doctor Who! The joke about the colour of the bucket was fine, all two seconds of it. The person who plays Jackie is a good actor, but it still didn't make it a good episode. The off-colour comment about being able to manage some sort of love life, at the end of the show was also not suitable for Doctor Who. All these things would have been fine in a play not connected to Doctor Who, and would have been amusing, but Doctor Who has survived all these years being a certain formula. If you change the formula too much you do not have Doctor Who - you have a totally different progrmame with a character named Doctor Who.

Jo

-

peter VV

Sunday, June 18, 2006 8:43 AM

Actually, I thought all the comedy worked well, especially chase and the comments about which colour bucket Rose should have used!

I thought that the actress who played Rose`s mum had a particularly good scene where she chucked Elton out.........didnt think she was much of an actress before that.

As I said, probably too quirky fo formost Dr Who fans.

Do you watch the Dr Who confidentials on BBC3 after each episode?, it transpires that the reason they had an episode with not a lot of the Dr is that they were filming 2 episodes at the same time, might explain a lot!

The Valley Vegan..........jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

Hi Peter

It could have been worse, but I wasn't keen. I would have preferred it if it had been a stand alone play, not a Doctor Who episode. Peter Kay was better than I expected he would be, and Mark Warren was good, but I didn't like the mix of style - old Beatles films, Morgan, a Suitable Case For Treatment etc. I most definitely did not like the 'comedy' chase in the first few scenes.

Jo

-

peter VV

Well, well, what a strange episode. It started well, and ended well, but didnt do much for me in the middle, but all said and done I liked it!

I know there are probably a lot of Dr Who fans will hate it, but all things considered , I liked it. It was entertaining, and thats all it should be.

Peter H

Peter H

Guest guest

Hi Peter / Peter

I would like to know why comedy is included in Doctor Who at all. It was originally a serious science fiction programme. If RTD wants to produce comedy why doesn't he produce something different?

BBJo

-

Peter Kebbell

Sunday, June 18, 2006 10:31 AM

Hi Peter

>Well, well, what a strange episode. It started well, and ended well, but didnt do much for me in the middle, but all said and done I liked it

>I know there are probably a lot of Dr Who fans will hate it, but all things considered , I liked it. It was entertaining, and thats all it should

>be.

Considering what I'd heard about it beforehand, I was pleasantly surprised. Definitely the worst so far this series IMHO, but I thought it was still better than the one where the Dr took the Slitheen out to dinner last series, and not as bad as the worst of the classic series. I thought with this one, it was a very poor storyline, with a bad script, which was only saved by some excellent performances from the supporting cast (not that the regulars had much to do!!!) I just think it's a shame that Russell Davies seems to feel the need to waste an episode each season with some sort of attempt at slapstick.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

There has been a small amount of humour, but not slapstick, pantomime type humour, apart from in a couple of the Sylvester McCoy episodes - which I believe was what put you off watching any more of them.

General concensus on the Dr Who group I belong to was - same as mine, with only one person liking the episode!

Jo

-

peter VV

Saturday, June 17, 2006 10:41 PM

I dont think it fair to criticise RTD for choosing to include humour, he isnt the only writer/producer to do so with Dr Who, there has been some humour as long as I can remember. What he has done to the series is short of miraculous, given that it was dropped by the BBC originally, and BBC Wales had to save it and bring it back, and it is as popular with children if not more than it ever has been since the seventies.

The Valley Vegan.................jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

Hi Peter / Peter

I would like to know why comedy is included in Doctor Who at all. It was originally a serious science fiction programme. If RTD wants to produce comedy why doesn't he produce something different?

BBJo

-

Peter Kebbell

Sunday, June 18, 2006 10:31 AM

Hi Peter

>be.

BB

Peter

Peter H

Guest guest

Jo, Why should it be stuck in a rut? stick to a formula? it would get stale surely? I found the chase scene amusing because I took it at face value, and because it was so unexpected in Dr Who.I applaud them for trying something different.It was just a means to an end though, having to fit in filming two episodes into one schedule............and definately the worst episode so far. The Valley Vegan..................jo <jo.heartwork wrote: HI Peter I like quirky shows - The Young Ones, Bottom, The Hippies, Spaced and loads of others I can't think of at the moment. I don't think this episode of Doctor

Who was good enough to be called quirky though. Why did you find the chase scene amusing - it was old-fashioned pantomime, which is good on the stage at Christmas, but this is Doctor Who! The joke about the colour of the bucket was fine, all two seconds of it. The person who plays Jackie is a good actor, but it still didn't make it a good episode. The off-colour comment about being able to manage some sort of love life, at the end of the show was also not suitable for Doctor Who. All these things would have been fine in a play not connected to Doctor Who, and would have been amusing, but Doctor Who has survived all these years being a certain formula. If you change the formula too much you do not have Doctor Who - you have a totally different progrmame with a character named Doctor Who. Jo - peter VV Sunday, June 18, 2006 8:43 AM Re: New Dr Who episode Actually, I thought all the comedy worked well, especially chase and the comments about which colour bucket Rose should have used! I thought that the actress who played Rose`s mum had a particularly good scene where she chucked Elton out.........didnt think she was much of an actress before that. As I said, probably too quirky fo formost Dr Who fans. Do you watch the Dr Who confidentials on BBC3 after each episode?, it transpires that the reason they had an episode with not a lot of the Dr is that they were filming 2 episodes at the same time, might explain a lot! The Valley Vegan..........jo <jo.heartwork wrote: Hi Peter It could have been worse, but I wasn't keen. I would have preferred it if it had been a stand alone play, not a Doctor Who episode. Peter Kay was better than I expected he would be, and Mark Warren was good, but I didn't like the

mix of style - old Beatles films, Morgan, a Suitable Case For Treatment etc. I most definitely did not like the 'comedy' chase in the first few scenes. Jo - peter VV Saturday, June 17, 2006 9:05 PM Re: New Dr Who episode Well,

well, what a strange episode. It started well, and ended well, but didnt do much for me in the middle, but all said and done I liked it! I know there are probably a lot of Dr Who fans will hate it, but all things considered , I liked it. It was entertaining, and thats all it should be. The Valley Vegan.................. Peter H Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Peter H Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Peter H

Guest guest

I didnt say that there was comedy/slapstick/pantomime, I said humour, which I remember as far back as John Pertwee. I knew that anyone belonging to a Dr Who group wouldnt like it, or take it at face value. You are right about the Sylvester Mcoy putting me off though. I think that they just werent made as well. Just my opinion, I dont take it as seriously as you possibly? The Valley Vegan..............jo <jo.heartwork wrote: There has been a small amount of humour, but not slapstick, pantomime type humour, apart from in a couple of the Sylvester McCoy episodes - which I believe was what put you off watching any more of them. General concensus on the Dr Who group I belong to was - same as mine, with only one person liking the episode! Jo - peter VV Saturday, June 17, 2006 10:41 PM Re: New Dr Who episode I dont think it fair to criticise RTD for choosing to include humour, he isnt the only writer/producer to do so with Dr Who, there has been some humour as long as I can remember. What he has done to the series is short of miraculous, given that it was dropped by the BBC originally, and BBC Wales had to save it and bring it back, and it is as popular with children if not more than it ever has been since the seventies. The Valley Vegan.................jo <jo.heartwork wrote: Hi Peter / Peter I would like to know why comedy is included in Doctor Who at all. It was originally a

serious science fiction programme. If RTD wants to produce comedy why doesn't he produce something different? BBJo - Peter Kebbell Sunday, June 18, 2006 10:31 AM Re: New Dr Who episode Hi Peter >Well, well, what a strange episode. It started well, and ended well, but didnt do much for me in the middle, but all said and done I liked it >I know there are probably a lot of Dr Who fans will hate it, but all things considered , I liked it. It was entertaining, and thats all it should >be. Considering what I'd heard about it beforehand, I was pleasantly surprised. Definitely the worst so far this series IMHO, but I thought it was still better than the one where the Dr took the Slitheen out to dinner last series, and not as bad as the worst of the classic series. I thought with this one, it was a very poor storyline, with a bad script, which was only saved by some excellent performances from the supporting cast (not that the regulars had much to do!!!) I just think it's a shame that Russell Davies seems to feel the need to waste an episode each season with some sort of attempt at

slapstick. BB Peter Peter H Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Peter H

Guest guest

Fair nuff, it isnt compulsary! we arent all sheeple clones just yet! The Valley Vegan............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: saw most of two episodes the other nite.... WW III.... sorry i just didn't like em :( Peter H

Guest guest

yeah...gonna have to remedy that

not good for the bottom line.....

peter VV Jun 18, 2006 12:28 PM Re: New Dr Who episode

Fair nuff, it isnt compulsary! we arent all sheeple clones just yet!

The Valley Vegan............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

saw most of two episodes the other nite....

WW III....

sorry

i just didn't like em

:(

Peter H

Defending this corruption on which you are sat

You tell me what to think, you tell me this and that

`Freedom is O.K. you scum` but make sure it`s never used

In your defence of liberty I always stand accused

Guest guest

Hi Jo

>I would like to know why comedy is included in Doctor Who at all. It was originally a serious science fiction programme. If RTD

> wants to produce comedy why doesn't he produce something different?

I agree. I quite like a bit of humour, but that's not the same as comedy! I also really wish they would do the occassional genuine historical story like they used to do in the Hartnell era (OK, I know I'm biased 'cos I like history) - I thought some of those plots were brilliant, and were educational as well as entertaining :-)

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Peter

I don't think it would get stuck in a rut. When you think of what they managed to do for the three or four episodes before that - would we get tired of that sort of standard?

Jo

-

peter VV

Sunday, June 18, 2006 7:16 PM

Jo,

Why should it be stuck in a rut? stick to a formula? it would get stale surely? I found the chase scene amusing because I took it at face value, and because it was so unexpected in Dr Who.I applaud them for trying something different.It was just a means to an end though, having to fit in filming two episodes into one schedule............and definately the worst episode so far.

The Valley Vegan..................jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

HI Peter

I like quirky shows - The Young Ones, Bottom, The Hippies, Spaced and loads of others I can't think of at the moment. I don't think this episode of Doctor Who was good enough to be called quirky though. Why did you find the chase scene amusing - it was old-fashioned pantomime, which is good on the stage at Christmas, but this is Doctor Who! The joke about the colour of the bucket was fine, all two seconds of it. The person who plays Jackie is a good actor, but it still didn't make it a good episode. The off-colour comment about being able to manage some sort of love life, at the end of the show was also not suitable for Doctor Who. All these things would have been fine in a play not connected to Doctor Who, and would have been amusing, but Doctor Who has survived all these years being a certain formula. If you change the formula too much you do not have Doctor Who - you have a totally different progrmame with a character named Doctor Who.

Jo

-

peter VV

Sunday, June 18, 2006 8:43 AM

Actually, I thought all the comedy worked well, especially chase and the comments about which colour bucket Rose should have used!

I thought that the actress who played Rose`s mum had a particularly good scene where she chucked Elton out.........didnt think she was much of an actress before that.

As I said, probably too quirky fo formost Dr Who fans.

Do you watch the Dr Who confidentials on BBC3 after each episode?, it transpires that the reason they had an episode with not a lot of the Dr is that they were filming 2 episodes at the same time, might explain a lot!

The Valley Vegan..........jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

Hi Peter

Jo

-

peter VV

Peter H

Peter H

Peter H

Guest guest

Hi Fraggle

>saw most of two episodes the other nite....

>WW III....

>sorry

>i just didn't like em

So, why do you keep watching 'em?

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Peter

I too like the odd amusing quip - which, as you say, is not comedy. I also would like some historial episodes. I enjoyed the one with Dickens in it and Queen Victoria, even though they did not contain much 'history'. I like the settings to vary - some historical, some in different worlds or dimensions.

BBJo

-

Peter

Sunday, June 18, 2006 9:56 PM

Hi Jo

>I would like to know why comedy is included in Doctor Who at all. It was originally a serious science fiction programme. If RTD

I agree. I quite like a bit of humour, but that's not the same as comedy! I also really wish they would do the occassional genuine historical story like they used to do in the Hartnell era (OK, I know I'm biased 'cos I like history) - I thought some of those plots were brilliant, and were educational as well as entertaining :-)

BB

Peter

Guest guest

You remember the Hartnel era? good god how old is Jo? Only kidding Jo.... The Valley Vegan...............Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Jo >I would like to know why comedy is included in Doctor Who at all. It was originally a serious science fiction programme. If RTD > wants to produce comedy why doesn't he produce something different? I agree. I quite like a bit of humour, but that's not the same as comedy! I also

really wish they would do the occassional genuine historical story like they used to do in the Hartnell era (OK, I know I'm biased 'cos I like history) - I thought some of those plots were brilliant, and were educational as well as entertaining :-) BB Peter Peter H

Guest guest

Hi Peter

>You remember the Hartnel era? good god how old is Jo?

In England we have neat little devices known as video recorders and DVD players....

I guess it's true what they say.... when it's 10am in the UK, it's 4am in Chicago, but it's still 1938 in Wales ;-)

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Jo

Yep - they were good episodes, but I was thinking more of the "pure" historical stories where they just arrive in the midst of an important historical event and get caught up in events - no "aliens" or anything - just pure historical drama. They still do the occassional one on the Big Finish audios - the last one was a really good story where they find themselves in the middle of the Drogheda massacre in Ireland....

BB

Peter

-

jo

Sunday, June 18, 2006 10:15 PM

Hi Peter

I too like the odd amusing quip - which, as you say, is not comedy. I also would like some historial episodes. I enjoyed the one with Dickens in it and Queen Victoria, even though they did not contain much 'history'. I like the settings to vary - some historical, some in different worlds or dimensions.

BBJo

-

Peter

Sunday, June 18, 2006 9:56 PM

Hi Jo

BB

Peter

Guest guest

to see if they got any better....

how can you tell if ya are gonna like something er not if you don't watch more then 5 minutes of it?

Peter Jun 18, 2006 2:07 PM Re: New Dr Who episode

Hi Fraggle

>WW III....

>sorry

>i just didn't like em

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Fraggle

Fair point... I just thought that you'd already watched the whole of one episode and not liked it, so to watch two more whole episodes and still not like it... I hope you're not gonna torture yourself any more.... next time you see Dr Who on, dig out an old Ramones record or something to cheer yourself up ;-)

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

Sunday, June 18, 2006 10:37 PM

to see if they got any better....

how can you tell if ya are gonna like something er not if you don't watch more then 5 minutes of it?

Peter Jun 18, 2006 2:07 PM Re: New Dr Who episode

Hi Fraggle

>WW III....

>sorry

>i just didn't like em

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Who says that? ignorami with no concept of geography? The Valley Vegan.............Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Peter >You remember the Hartnel era? good god how old is Jo? In England we have neat little devices known as video recorders and DVD players.... I guess it's true what they say.... when it's 10am in the UK, it's 4am in Chicago, but it's still 1938 in Wales ;-) BB Peter Peter H

Guest guest

CE or BC?

Peter Jun 18, 2006 2:33 PM Re: New Dr Who episode

Hi Peter

>You remember the Hartnel era? good god how old is Jo?

In England we have neat little devices known as video recorders and DVD players....

I guess it's true what they say.... when it's 10am in the UK, it's 4am in Chicago, but it's still 1938 in Wales ;-)

BB

Peter

Guest guest

I was supposed to be on my way out for the evening, when the first episode of Dr Who came on. I watched the whole episode standing in the doorway - ready to go.

Jo

-

peter VV

Sunday, June 18, 2006 10:18 PM

You remember the Hartnel era? good god how old is Jo?

Only kidding Jo....

The Valley Vegan...............Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Jo

BB

Peter

Peter H