IndiaDivine.org

Mind the clouds, feel the solstice

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Mind the clouds, feel the solstice The summer solstice began with a gloomy, grey-streaked sunrise at Stonehenge this morning. Around 17,000 people, fewer than the expected 25,000, gathered to greet the longest day of the year with drinks, chanting and spiritual openness. An hour-long downpour at 2am took some of the fun out of the party, but as the sun struggled to make itself seen, a

chorus went up: "Feel the solstice!" Today was the seventh solstice that druids, hippies, pagans and the curious have been able to celebrate at the stone circle since it was re-opened for sun worshipping in 2000. Fears of "hippy invasions" and the Pagans for Peace movement in the 1980s led to years of restrictions and a police guard at the site. For more Stonehenge, 5,000 years old and bewildering as ever, try the English Heritage website and the informative work of the Megalithic Society, which keeps a voluminous website devoted to the big stones and the circle at Avebury nearby. Where did it come from? What is it for? Stonehenge isn't the only place for a solstice. The Mayan temples of the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico are known for their alignment to

the sun, its equinoxes and climaxes. At Chíchen åtzá, you can watch the shadow of Kulkulkan, the feathered serpent god, slide down a set of stairs. According to this Nasa website of ancient observatories: "At the appointed hour, the setting sun casts a shadow of a serpent writhing down the northern steps of the pyramid. The sunlight bathes the western balustrade of the pyramid's main stairway and causes seven isosceles triangles to form, imitating the body of a serpent 37 yards long that creeps downwards until it joins the huge serpent's head carved in stone at the bottom of the stairway." At Fajada Butte, an ancient site in the Chaco Canyon in New Mexico, the summer solstice produces a thin "sun dagger" that passes along a holy wall. For more on festivals of the sun, try this map-heavy guide. In the Republic of Sakha in northern Russia, also known as Yakutia, the solstice marks the climax of Ysyakh, the annual festival of fertility. Posted by Times Online Newsdesk on 06/21/2006 at 03:53 PM | Permalink Peter H

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Guest guest

On the news this morning it said there were 13,000 people there - so if they were expecting 25,000 that isn't 17,000 less. One of our acquaintances, Arthur Pendragon, was instrumental in the talks about opening Stonehenge for the Solstice - and it eventually happened.

Apparently Peter was there, so maybe he will let us know how he found it? I've never been for a Summer Solstice.

Colin and I went to a local high place and greeted the dawn. It was cloudy and drizzly but mild, and we caught a glimpse of the sun through the clouds about 20 minutes after sunrise. We then went for a walk along the river, and got home by about 6 a.m. We then decided to go to Littlehampton. As it was a nice day I had a paddle - the water was quite warm. We had a walk, lunch and came home. It was a lovely day.

Jo

-

peter VV

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 8:25 PM

Re: Mind the clouds, feel the solstice

Mind the clouds, feel the solstice

The summer solstice began with a gloomy, grey-streaked sunrise at Stonehenge this morning.

Around 17,000 people, fewer than the expected 25,000, gathered to greet the longest day of the year with drinks, chanting and spiritual openness. An hour-long downpour at 2am took some of the fun out of the party, but as the sun struggled to make itself seen, a chorus went up: "Feel the solstice!"

Today was the seventh solstice that druids, hippies, pagans and the curious have been able to celebrate at the stone circle since it was re-opened for sun worshipping in 2000. Fears of "hippy invasions" and the Pagans for Peace movement in the 1980s led to years of restrictions and a police guard at the site.

For more Stonehenge, 5,000 years old and bewildering as ever, try the English Heritage website and the informative work of the Megalithic Society, which keeps a voluminous website devoted to the big stones and the circle at Avebury nearby. Where did it come from? What is it for?

Stonehenge isn't the only place for a solstice. The Mayan temples of the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico are known for their alignment to the sun, its equinoxes and climaxes. At Chíchen åtzá, you can watch the shadow of Kulkulkan, the feathered serpent god, slide down a set of stairs. According to this Nasa website of ancient observatories:

"At the appointed hour, the setting sun casts a shadow of a serpent writhing down the northern steps of the pyramid. The sunlight bathes the western balustrade of the pyramid's main stairway and causes seven isosceles triangles to form, imitating the body of a serpent 37 yards long that creeps downwards until it joins the huge serpent's head carved in stone at the bottom of the stairway."

At Fajada Butte, an ancient site in the Chaco Canyon in New Mexico, the summer solstice produces a thin "sun dagger" that passes along a holy wall. For more on festivals of the sun, try this map-heavy guide. In the Republic of Sakha in northern Russia, also known as Yakutia, the solstice marks the climax of Ysyakh, the annual festival of fertility.

Posted by Times Online Newsdesk on 06/21/2006 at 03:53 PM | Permalink

Peter H

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Guest guest

Hi Jo

>Apparently Peter was there, so maybe he will let us know how he found it?

Well, it was really quite easy - I just drove down the A36, and then followed the road signs marked " stonehenge " ;-)

Seriously, though - I probably wouldn't go again. It's about 99% drunken louts, and about 1% people there for the spiritual experience. What I found really odd is that after the sun had risen, I was walking back to the car, and most of the Druids were walking towards the stones from the car park - they must have believed the BBC when they said the sunrise was 4.58am, when it was actually nearer 4 o'clock (you'd really think Druids would know better)....

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Obviously the Druids have no more insight than you ? 99% drunk? sounds like Faggles night out? Why shouldnt they celebrate with a drink? Not getting snobbish this Stonehenge experiance of yours is it? The Valley Vegan..............Peter Kebbell <metalscarab wrote: Hi Jo >Apparently Peter was there, so maybe he will let us know how he found it? Well, it was really quite easy - I just drove down the A36, and then followed the road signs marked "stonehenge" ;-) Seriously, though - I probably wouldn't go again. It's about 99% drunken louts,

and about 1% people there for the spiritual experience. What I found really odd is that after the sun had risen, I was walking back to the car, and most of the Druids were walking towards the stones from the car park - they must have believed the BBC when they said the sunrise was 4.58am, when it was actually nearer 4 o'clock (you'd really think Druids would know better).... BB Peter Peter H

All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine

Guest guest

Hi Peter

LOL! I've never been for the Summer Solstice - maybe I'll go one year just to experience it - or mayhbe I'll go to the Winter one. It doesn't suprise me that some of the Druids were late for the sunrise, especially if Arthur had anything to do with it. They probably had to get a couple of drinks in first.

Did you get very wet? It was fine drizzle here all night, but quite mild.

BBJo

-

Peter Kebbell

Thursday, June 22, 2006 9:00 AM

Hi Jo

Well, it was really quite easy - I just drove down the A36, and then followed the road signs marked "stonehenge" ;-)

Seriously, though - I probably wouldn't go again. It's about 99% drunken louts, and about 1% people there for the spiritual experience. What I found really odd is that after the sun had risen, I was walking back to the car, and most of the Druids were walking towards the stones from the car park - they must have believed the BBC when they said the sunrise was 4.58am, when it was actually nearer 4 o'clock (you'd really think Druids would know better)....

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Peter

The trouble is that it is not a rave or anything. Drunkeness does spoil the occasion for the very people who it means most to. The ones who get drunk just go because it's somewhere to gather all night. I know this because of the forums (festival forums). I'm not saying that the people who go there for spiritual reasons don't get drunk, but usually at a different time to a Pagan festival - maybe afterwards!

Jo

-

peter VV

Thursday, June 22, 2006 6:45 PM

Obviously the Druids have no more insight than you ?

99% drunk? sounds like Faggles night out?

Why shouldnt they celebrate with a drink?

Not getting snobbish this Stonehenge experiance of yours is it?

The Valley Vegan..............Peter Kebbell <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Jo

Well, it was really quite easy - I just drove down the A36, and then followed the road signs marked "stonehenge" ;-)

BB

Peter

Peter H

All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine

Guest guest

Hi Peter

>Obviously the Druids have no more insight than you ?

Apparently less - I'd have thought they would have almanacs though!

>99% drunk? sounds like Faggles night out?

>Why shouldnt they celebrate with a drink?

Don't mind people getting drunk - it's the loutish stuff that I object to.

>Not getting snobbish this Stonehenge experiance of yours is it?

Not at all - I don't mind people celebrating however they like - I'd just appreciate it if they left me to celebrate how I like. After all, I wouldn't go into a church at a major Christian celebration, get exceedingly drunk, stand on the altar and be rude about the vicar.... but perhaps you'd think that sort of behaviour was acceptable?

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Jo

>LOL! I've never been for the Summer Solstice - maybe I'll go one year just to experience it - or mayhbe I'll go to the Winter one.

> It doesn't suprise me that some of the Druids were late for the sunrise, especially if Arthur had anything to do with it. They

> probably had to get a couple of drinks in first.

I guess they were working on Pagan Standard Time... problem is, they forgot that the sun doesn't go down the pub for a beer before rising!

>Did you get very wet? It was fine drizzle here all night, but quite mild.

I did get quite wet - it was drizzling most of the night, with a couple of pretty impressive downpours. Fortunately I had the foresight to take all my waterproof stuff, so was just wet on the outside!!!

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Why would you assume that I would find that acceptable? bit rude isnt it? The Valley Vegan.............Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Peter >Obviously the Druids have no more insight than you ? Apparently less - I'd have thought they would have almanacs though! >99% drunk? sounds like Faggles night out? >Why shouldnt they celebrate with a drink? Don't mind people getting drunk - it's the loutish stuff that I object to. >Not getting snobbish this Stonehenge experiance of yours is it? Not at all - I don't mind people celebrating however they like - I'd just appreciate it if they left me to celebrate how I like. After all, I wouldn't go into a church at a major Christian celebration, get exceedingly drunk, stand on the altar and be rude about the vicar.... but perhaps you'd think that sort of behaviour was acceptable? BB Peter Peter H

Guest guest

Hi Peter

Didn't mean to be rude... just wondering why you thought it was acceptable at a religious celebration at a Pagan sacred site....

BB

Peter

-

peter VV

Thursday, June 22, 2006 8:44 PM

Why would you assume that I would find that acceptable? bit rude isnt it?

The Valley Vegan.............Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Peter

Not at all - I don't mind people celebrating however they like - I'd just appreciate it if they left me to celebrate how I like. After all, I wouldn't go into a church at a major Christian celebration, get exceedingly drunk, stand on the altar and be rude about the vicar.... but perhaps you'd think that sort of behaviour was acceptable?

BB

Peter

Peter H

Guest guest

Hi Peter

.... well, they are Druids :-)

It was just as well you took your waterproofs - at least it wasn't cold. Were there any birds to be heard - or not enough trees around for that?

BBJo

-

Peter

Thursday, June 22, 2006 7:55 PM

Hi Jo

>LOL! I've never been for the Summer Solstice - maybe I'll go one year just to experience it - or mayhbe I'll go to the Winter one.

> It doesn't suprise me that some of the Druids were late for the sunrise, especially if Arthur had anything to do with it. They

> probably had to get a couple of drinks in first.

I guess they were working on Pagan Standard Time... problem is, they forgot that the sun doesn't go down the pub for a beer before rising!

>Did you get very wet? It was fine drizzle here all night, but quite mild.

I did get quite wet - it was drizzling most of the night, with a couple of pretty impressive downpours. Fortunately I had the foresight to take all my waterproof stuff, so was just wet on the outside!!!

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Just thought that it was the done thing to have a drink at these things?didnt Jo mention that the Druids had the odd drink or three before? Maybe they arent setting a proper example? What do I know about this sort of thing eh? Just dont assume that I condone anyone hindering others beliefs please. The Valley Vegan................Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Peter Didn't mean to be rude... just wondering why you thought it was acceptable at a religious celebration at a Pagan sacred site.... BB Peter - peter VV Thursday, June 22, 2006 8:44 PM Re: Mind the clouds, feel the solstice Why would you assume that I would find that acceptable? bit rude isnt it? The Valley Vegan.............Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Peter >Obviously the Druids have no more insight than you ? Apparently less - I'd have thought they would have almanacs though! >99% drunk? sounds like Faggles night out? >Why shouldnt they celebrate with a drink? Don't mind people getting drunk - it's the loutish stuff that I object to. >Not getting snobbish this Stonehenge experiance of yours is it? Not at all - I don't mind people celebrating however they like - I'd just appreciate it if they left me to celebrate how I like. After all, I wouldn't go into a church at a major Christian celebration, get exceedingly drunk, stand on the altar and be rude about the vicar.... but perhaps you'd think that sort of behaviour was acceptable? BB Peter Peter H All

new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine Peter H

Try the all-new Mail . "The New Version is radically easier to use" – The Wall Street Journal

Guest guest

Hi Peter

Almanacs are good. I usually go to http://uk.weather.com/weather and click on climate statistics - it has the sunrise and sunset times for each day.

BBJo

-

Peter

Thursday, June 22, 2006 7:48 PM

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Peter

>Just thought that it was the done thing to have a drink at these things?didnt Jo mention that the Druids had the odd drink or

> three before? Maybe they arent setting a proper example? What do I know about this sort of thing eh?

Yeah, the odd drink... not being drunk and obnoxious :-)

>Just dont assume that I condone anyone hindering others beliefs please.

OK - although you do have to admit that everytime someone wishes anyone else a happy solstice or equinox, you do have a tendency to come back with a snide comment - for the last three festivals, you've classified my religion as silly and daft! So you must be able to see why I get the impression you think that Pagans don't deserve any respect!!!

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Jo

>It was just as well you took your waterproofs - at least it wasn't cold. Were there any birds to be heard - or not enough trees

> around for that?

Too much people noise to be able to hear birds!!! I suspect there were some hiding around somewhere :-)

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Dont take it personally, I believe I have mentioned before that I take the mikey out of all religions, yours gets no special treatment from me. This week I am worshiping the god of litter trays for he is bountiful. As a wise comedian once said, good night and may your god go with you! And I do wish everyone happy equidoo dah back, so I aint all bad? The Valley Vegan.............. Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Peter >Just thought that it was the done thing to have a drink at these things?didnt Jo mention that the Druids had the odd drink or > three before? Maybe they arent setting a proper example? What do I know about this sort of thing eh? Yeah, the odd drink... not being drunk and obnoxious :-) >Just dont assume that I condone anyone hindering others beliefs please. OK - although you do have to admit that everytime someone wishes anyone else a happy solstice or equinox, you do have a tendency to come back with a snide comment - for the last three festivals, you've classified my religion as silly and daft! So you must be able to see why I get the impression you think that Pagans don't deserve any respect!!! BB Peter Peter H

The all-new Mail goes wherever you go - free your email address from your Internet provider.

Guest guest

Although some Druids like their drink I very much doubt that they would spoil the occasion for others.

Jo

-

peter VV

Thursday, June 22, 2006 9:02 PM

Just thought that it was the done thing to have a drink at these things?didnt Jo mention that the Druids had the odd drink or three before? Maybe they arent setting a proper example? What do I know about this sort of thing eh?

Just dont assume that I condone anyone hindering others beliefs please.

The Valley Vegan................Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Peter

Didn't mean to be rude... just wondering why you thought it was acceptable at a religious celebration at a Pagan sacred site....

BB

Peter

-

peter VV

Thursday, June 22, 2006 8:44 PM

Why would you assume that I would find that acceptable? bit rude isnt it?

The Valley Vegan.............Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

Peter H

Peter H

Try the all-new Mail . "The New Version is radically easier to use" – The Wall Street Journal