IndiaDivine.org

Gardening

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I put some new perennials in one of the back beds today. I put plenty of compost in as the ground is like dry fine sand. I've given them a good watering and put up little fences to keep the cats off until the plants fill the gaps - I wonder if the slugs will leave them alone! All in all it's not been a successful year. Luckily the shrubs seem to have been strong and flowered well.

How's everyone else's gardens growing?

JO

Guest guest

Did you put up signs telling the slugs to keep off? My garden has been trampled by cats large and small, still theres always next year! I have a few pots of back up cornflowers to put in to fill the odd gap, but some of my plants have had it! I need to stake a few of the taller perenials, ( I always to forget to put stakes in , in spring before they are tall) On the plus side, my strawberries and blueberry plants are doing well in containers. The trouble is, the slugs and snails tend to eat my berries before I do. On the subject of kittens, two have a new home together, just the fluffy little tom (Rocky ) who my wife and kids have told me we are keeping, but not how we are supposed to put it into practise, as we have one cat in our bedroom, one gets locked downstairs at night because she doesnt get on with our other one. And now this kitten which the younger downstairs cat doesnt like, is supposed to be living with us? Since the kittens have gone last night , the mother has been wandering around calling for them, its very sad.She is sticking to the last one like glue. Its just started chucking it down outside, typical, I watered the plants earlier! The Valley Vegan..............jo <jo.heartwork wrote: I put some new perennials in one of the back beds today. I put plenty of compost in as the ground is like dry fine sand. I've given them a good watering and put up little fences to keep the cats off until the plants fill the gaps - I wonder if the slugs will leave them alone! All in all it's not been a successful year. Luckily the shrubs seem to have been strong and

flowered well. How's everyone else's gardens growing? JO Peter H

Inbox full of spam? Get leading spam protection and 1GB storage with All New Mail.

Guest guest

well, so far harvesting lettuce, spinach, and basil

i guess thats not bad considering we've been here, wot, 7 weeks?

corn is tall, about 6'...which is about the ebst i've ever gotten it...

it is just starting to tassel

tomatoes are finally spreading and setting fruit.

funny, the ones i thought of as cast offs, as i left them in their little seedling pots too long, and sorta stuck off in the corner cuz i was out of room, but didn't want to just throw em in compast, are doing the best!! yay fer the underdog

beans are doing nicely in between the corn...surpassing them in height now on the stalks!

tho the beans in other parts of the garden are fighting a long nasty skirmish with the slugs and snails

peas, and zucchini have started to flower...

melons, musk melons, and cucumbers are still sorta lagging...

eggplants have finally taken off..took long enough

and peppers look sorta sad still....

planted a tree datura last week..looks like its finally coming out of transplant shock

today need to do some serious weeding along the edges....

Defending this corruption on which you are sat

You tell me what to think, you tell me this and that

`Freedom is O.K. you scum` but make sure it`s never used

In your defence of liberty I always stand accused

Guest guest

Hi Jo

So far so good. The corn is coming up nicely and I actually got to

eat a raspberry, so my two new items of the year are fairing well.

All of the varities of peppers and maters have babies on them. Only

the cucumbers seem to be moving slow. Everything else is progressing

nicely too so far.

BB

Nikki

, " jo " <jo.heartwork wrote:

>

> I put some new perennials in one of the back beds today. I put

plenty of compost in as the ground is like dry fine sand. I've

given them a good watering and put up little fences to keep the cats

off until the plants fill the gaps - I wonder if the slugs will

leave them alone! All in all it's not been a successful year.

Luckily the shrubs seem to have been strong and flowered well.

>

> How's everyone else's gardens growing?

>

> JO

>