IndiaDivine.org

RE: Giant Melon, my Perspiration

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

OVER & OVER & OVER AGAIN, MY FRIEND... Few songs in history have been “controversial” enough to spark a censorship campaign – far less have been targeted on two separate occasions. And vastly fewer are those tunes that have earned this distinction three or more times. Here’s one of those… Barry McGuire – "Eve Of Destruction" The anti-war ballad, “Eve of Destruction,” was issued in 1965 when opposition to the Vietnam war began gaining momentum in America & the record immediately faced reactionary responses. Never before had such a grim & angst-ridden anti-establishment lyric [“you’re old enough to kill, but not for votin’’] sold well enough to register on the

popularity charts, & as the folk-rock tune hit #1, detractors raced to condemn it. Christian Crusade leaders charged that the lyrics were “obviously aimed at instilling fear in our teenagers as well as a sense of hopelessness,” with a nefarious goal of inducing “the American public to surrender to atheistic international Communism.” Such sentiments caused the disc to be banned by many radio stations. Then, a quarter century later, “Eve of Destruction” was banned by BBC radio during President Bush’s 1991 war against Iraq. And then, once again, the song was black-listed by America’s giant radio network, Clear Channel, in the wake of 9/11 & the ramp-up to the second President Bush’s Iraq War. Peter H

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest

Hi Peter

> Few songs in history have been "controversial" enough to spark a censorship campaign

Now that's funny, 'cos I can think of dozens of 'em... most heavy metal songs have sparked censorship campaigns by hard-line Christians! Heck, even Pat Boone got kicked off his TV show because of an album he recorded!

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Peter

Even in the Eurovision song contest Lordi were accused of being Satanists and some of the local Christians wanted them banned from taking part.

BBJo

-

Peter Kebbell

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 1:14 PM

Re: Re: Giant Melon, my Perspiration

Hi Peter

> Few songs in history have been "controversial" enough to spark a censorship campaign

Now that's funny, 'cos I can think of dozens of 'em... most heavy metal songs have sparked censorship campaigns by hard-line Christians! Heck, even Pat Boone got kicked off his TV show because of an album he recorded!

BB

Peter

Guest guest

I agree with my namesake, just visit this great site : http://www.tabootunes.com/gallery.html It shows that songs have been censored/banned from the arly 1900`s, more modern ones have included : The Kingsmen – “Louie Louie” In early-1964 Barry McGuire – "Eve Of Destruction" in 1965 etc,etc The Valley Vegan.................. Peter Kebbell <metalscarab wrote: Hi Peter > Few songs in history

have been "controversial" enough to spark a censorship campaign Now that's funny, 'cos I can think of dozens of 'em... most heavy metal songs have sparked censorship campaigns by hard-line Christians! Heck, even Pat Boone got kicked off his TV show because of an album he recorded! BB Peter Peter H

Try the all-new Mail . "The New Version is radically easier to use" – The Wall Street Journal

Guest guest

Hi Peter

>I agree with my namesake, just visit this great site :

>http://www.tabootunes.com/gallery.html

Thanks for the link. I think I see why they missed most of the heavy metal songs that sparked censorship campaigns.... the following phrase clearly shows their ignorance of the genre: " While no one has ever expected enlightened behavior (or lyrics) from the vast majority of heavy metal bands " ....

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hahahhahahaha - or should that be ROFLMAO - don't they ever read the lyrics or is their knowledge of heavy metal 25 years out of date, like the media's? and do they know any European metal? It's hard to think of any un-enlightened lyrics from my favourite bands, and some of it is ~the~ most beautiful poetry I have come across (and I have always liked poetry).

BBJo

-

Peter Kebbell

Thursday, June 29, 2006 8:30 AM

Re: Re: Giant Melon, my Perspiration

Hi Peter

>I agree with my namesake, just visit this great site :

>http://www.tabootunes.com/gallery.html

Thanks for the link. I think I see why they missed most of the heavy metal songs that sparked censorship campaigns.... the following phrase clearly shows their ignorance of the genre: "While no one has ever expected enlightened behavior (or lyrics) from the vast majority of heavy metal bands"....

BB

Peter

Guest guest

I think it is just thinking along the lines of the stereotypical rock band , the type of thing that spawned Spinal Tap. And to be fair they covered nearly every main genre of music from jazz,blues up to punk etc, cant be expert on evrything?, and if they included evrything it would be a very long article! I think my knowledge of heavy metal is probably 25 years out of date also! The Valley Vegan.................jo <jo.heartwork wrote: Hahahhahahaha - or should that be ROFLMAO - don't they ever read the lyrics or is their knowledge of heavy metal 25 years out of date, like the media's? and do they know any European metal? It's hard to

think of any un-enlightened lyrics from my favourite bands, and some of it is ~the~ most beautiful poetry I have come across (and I have always liked poetry). BBJo - Peter Kebbell Thursday, June 29, 2006 8:30 AM Re: Re: Giant Melon, my Perspiration

Hi Peter >I agree with my namesake, just visit this great site : >http://www.tabootunes.com/gallery.html Thanks for the link. I think I see why they missed most of the heavy metal songs that sparked censorship campaigns.... the following phrase clearly shows their ignorance of the genre: "While no one has ever expected enlightened behavior (or lyrics) from the vast majority of heavy metal bands".... BB Peter Peter H

Now you can scan emails quickly with a reading pane. Get the new Mail.