IndiaDivine.org

Giant beetle emerges from the woodwork

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Times Online June 28, 2006 A Giant Capricorn beetle unseen in the UK for 300 years (Western Mail/PA) Giant beetle emerges from the woodworkLee Glendinning and agencies A giant beetle thought to have been extinct in Wales for more than 300 years has been discovered by a carpenter in a furniture workshop. Startled staff at the Llanelli factory huddled round a pile of

English Oak when the rare Capricorn beetle climbed out and they came close to hitting it with a hammer. The creature, which makes a screeching noise by rubbing its legs together, has powerful jaws capable of biting through wood, and antennae up to 10cm long scared staff at The Foothold Group. Ben Perrot, a carpenter at the factory said it looked "like a monster from Dr Who", and he initially thought it was a plastic toy. "I thought someone had left it there to give me a fright - it looked like something you would get from a toy shop. But then it started to move and realised it was alive." They placed the beetle in a glass jar and called in a local entomologist who immediately recognised its importance. "I was gobsmacked because it was bloody huge for a beetle," said Tony Giles, the workshop manager. "There were a few suggestions to start with between getting a 2lb hammer or just throwing it out of the

window. Cooler heads prevailed." Ian Morgan, the entomologist, said there was a possibility the beetle may have been imported from central Europe. "This type of long-horn beetle was supposed to have been extinct in the UK since 1700," he told the Western Mail in Cardiff. "This is the first time in centuries that it has been seen here in Wales. "It is male and he was found in timber labelled English oak wood, so it makes you question whether this massive beast is alive in England too. "I realised he was something special as soon as I saw it." Mr Morgan said the Capricorn beetle depends on very large oaks for its grubs to feed on over a long period. It is illegal to kill it anywhere. But while this beetle has been saved from the carpenter's hammer, it will not live for much longer. By nature, the giant Capricorn has a short life span and is likely to survive for only two more

weeks Once it dies, its body will be donated to the National Museum of Wales.Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

Guest guest

Im gonna start saying "gobsmacked" all the time now.peter VV <swpgh01 wrote: Times Online June 28, 2006 A Giant Capricorn beetle unseen in the UK for 300 years (Western Mail/PA) Giant beetle emerges from the woodworkLee Glendinning and agencies A giant beetle thought to have been extinct in Wales for more than 300 years has been discovered by a carpenter in a furniture workshop. Startled staff at the Llanelli factory huddled round a pile of English Oak when the rare Capricorn beetle climbed out and they came close to hitting it with a hammer. The creature, which makes a screeching noise by rubbing its legs together, has powerful jaws capable of biting through wood, and antennae up to 10cm long scared staff at The Foothold Group. Ben Perrot, a carpenter at the factory said it looked "like a monster from Dr Who", and he initially thought it was a plastic toy. "I thought someone had left it there to give me a fright - it looked like something

you would get from a toy shop. But then it started to move and realised it was alive." They placed the beetle in a glass jar and called in a local entomologist who immediately recognised its importance. "I was gobsmacked because it was bloody huge for a beetle," said Tony Giles, the workshop manager. "There were a few suggestions to start with between getting a 2lb hammer or just throwing it out of the window. Cooler heads prevailed." Ian Morgan, the entomologist, said there was a possibility the beetle may have been imported from central Europe. "This type of long-horn beetle was supposed to have been extinct in the UK since 1700," he told the Western Mail in Cardiff. "This is the first time in centuries that it has been seen here in Wales. "It is male and he was found in timber labelled English oak wood, so it makes you question whether this massive beast is alive in England too. "I realised he was something special as soon as I saw it." Mr Morgan said the Capricorn beetle depends on very large oaks for its grubs to feed on over a long period. It is illegal to kill it anywhere. But while this beetle has been saved from the carpenter's hammer, it will not live for much longer. By nature, the giant Capricorn has a short life span and is likely to survive for only two more weeks Once it dies, its body will be donated to the National Museum of Wales. Peter H To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

Talk is cheap. Use Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates starting at 1¢/min.

Guest guest

Please don't.

Jo

-

cortney aldrich

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 10:03 PM

Re: Giant beetle emerges from the woodwork

Im gonna start saying "gobsmacked" all the time now.peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

Times Online

June 28, 2006

A Giant Capricorn beetle unseen in the UK for 300 years (Western Mail/PA)

Giant beetle emerges from the woodworkLee Glendinning and agencies

A giant beetle thought to have been extinct in Wales for more than 300 years has been discovered by a carpenter in a furniture workshop.

Startled staff at the Llanelli factory huddled round a pile of English Oak when the rare Capricorn beetle climbed out and they came close to hitting it with a hammer.

The creature, which makes a screeching noise by rubbing its legs together, has powerful jaws capable of biting through wood, and antennae up to 10cm long scared staff at The Foothold Group.

Ben Perrot, a carpenter at the factory said it looked "like a monster from Dr Who", and he initially thought it was a plastic toy.

"I thought someone had left it there to give me a fright - it looked like something you would get from a toy shop. But then it started to move and realised it was alive."

They placed the beetle in a glass jar and called in a local entomologist who immediately recognised its importance.

"I was gobsmacked because it was bloody huge for a beetle," said Tony Giles, the workshop manager.

"There were a few suggestions to start with between getting a 2lb hammer or just throwing it out of the window. Cooler heads prevailed."

Ian Morgan, the entomologist, said there was a possibility the beetle may have been imported from central Europe.

"This type of long-horn beetle was supposed to have been extinct in the UK since 1700," he told the Western Mail in Cardiff. "This is the first time in centuries that it has been seen here in Wales.

"It is male and he was found in timber labelled English oak wood, so it makes you question whether this massive beast is alive in England too.

"I realised he was something special as soon as I saw it."

Mr Morgan said the Capricorn beetle depends on very large oaks for its grubs to feed on over a long period. It is illegal to kill it anywhere.

But while this beetle has been saved from the carpenter's hammer, it will not live for much longer.

By nature, the giant Capricorn has a short life span and is likely to survive for only two more weeks

Once it dies, its body will be donated to the National Museum of Wales.

Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

Talk is cheap. Use Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates starting at 1¢/min.

Guest guest

, " jo " <jo.heartwork wrote:

>I am gobsmacked that you would discourage me from using the

term " gobsacked " . This is gobsmacking rediculas. What the gobsmack

is the world comeing to?

> Please don't.

>

> Jo

> -

> cortney aldrich

>

> Wednesday, June 28, 2006 10:03 PM

> Re: Giant beetle emerges from the woodwork

>

>

> Im gonna start saying " gobsmacked " all the time now.

>

> peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

> Times Online June 28, 2006

>

>

>

> A Giant Capricorn beetle unseen in the UK for

300 years (Western Mail/PA)

>

>

>

>

>

> Giant beetle emerges from the woodwork

> Lee Glendinning and agencies

>

>

>

>

>

> A giant beetle thought to have been extinct in

Wales for more than 300 years has been discovered by a carpenter in a

furniture workshop.

>

>

> Startled staff at the Llanelli factory huddled

round a pile of English Oak when the rare Capricorn beetle climbed

out and they came close to hitting it with a hammer.

> The creature, which makes a screeching noise by

rubbing its legs together, has powerful jaws capable of biting

through wood, and antennae up to 10cm long scared staff at The

Foothold Group.

> Ben Perrot, a carpenter at the factory said it

looked " like a monster from Dr Who " , and he initially thought it was

a plastic toy.

> " I thought someone had left it there to give me a

fright - it looked like something you would get from a toy shop. But

then it started to move and realised it was alive. "

> They placed the beetle in a glass jar and called in

a local entomologist who immediately recognised its importance.

> " I was gobsmacked because it was bloody huge for a

beetle, " said Tony Giles, the workshop manager.

> " There were a few suggestions to start with between

getting a 2lb hammer or just throwing it out of the window. Cooler

heads prevailed. "

> Ian Morgan, the entomologist, said there was a

possibility the beetle may have been imported from central Europe.

> " This type of long-horn beetle was supposed to have

been extinct in the UK since 1700, " he told the Western Mail in

Cardiff. " This is the first time in centuries that it has been seen

here in Wales.

> " It is male and he was found in timber labelled

English oak wood, so it makes you question whether this massive beast

is alive in England too.

> " I realised he was something special as soon as I

saw it. "

> Mr Morgan said the Capricorn beetle depends on very

large oaks for its grubs to feed on over a long period. It is illegal

to kill it anywhere.

> But while this beetle has been saved from the

carpenter's hammer, it will not live for much longer.

> By nature, the giant Capricorn has a short life

span and is likely to survive for only two more weeks

> Once it dies, its body will be donated to the

National Museum of Wales.

>

>

>

>

> Peter H

>

>

> --

--------

> To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the

all new Security Centre.

>

>

>

>

> --

----------

> Talk is cheap. Use Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls.

Great rates starting at 1¢/min.

>

Guest guest

Hi Peter

> A giant beetle thought to have been extinct in Wales for more than 300 years has been

> discovered by a carpenter in a furniture workshop

Own up... where've you been hiding them all this time? ;-)

BB

Peter

Guest guest

LOL - When I was a kid 'gob' was a fairly nasty name for a mouth (smack you

in the gob, etc.) To me it just an aweful word that grates on my lingual

nerves.

Jo

-

" massagesister " <massagesister

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 11:34 PM

>I am gobsmacked that you would discourage me from using the

term " gobsacked " . This is gobsmacking rediculas. What the gobsmack

is the world comeing to?

> Please don't.

>

> Jo

> -

> cortney aldrich

>

> Wednesday, June 28, 2006 10:03 PM

> Re: Giant beetle emerges from the woodwork

>

>

> Im gonna start saying " gobsmacked " all the time now.

>

> peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

>

>

>

> A Giant Capricorn beetle unseen in the UK for

300 years (Western Mail/PA)

>

>

>

>

>

> Giant beetle emerges from the woodwork

> Lee Glendinning and agencies

>

>

>

>

>

> A giant beetle thought to have been extinct in

Wales for more than 300 years has been discovered by a carpenter in a

furniture workshop.

>

>

> Startled staff at the Llanelli factory huddled

round a pile of English Oak when the rare Capricorn beetle climbed

out and they came close to hitting it with a hammer.

> The creature, which makes a screeching noise by

rubbing its legs together, has powerful jaws capable of biting

through wood, and antennae up to 10cm long scared staff at The

Foothold Group.

> Ben Perrot, a carpenter at the factory said it

looked " like a monster from Dr Who " , and he initially thought it was

a plastic toy.

> " I thought someone had left it there to give me a

fright - it looked like something you would get from a toy shop. But

then it started to move and realised it was alive. "

> They placed the beetle in a glass jar and called in

a local entomologist who immediately recognised its importance.

> " I was gobsmacked because it was bloody huge for a

beetle, " said Tony Giles, the workshop manager.

> " There were a few suggestions to start with between

getting a 2lb hammer or just throwing it out of the window. Cooler

heads prevailed. "

> Ian Morgan, the entomologist, said there was a

possibility the beetle may have been imported from central Europe.

> " This type of long-horn beetle was supposed to have

been extinct in the UK since 1700, " he told the Western Mail in

Cardiff. " This is the first time in centuries that it has been seen

here in Wales.

> " It is male and he was found in timber labelled

English oak wood, so it makes you question whether this massive beast

is alive in England too.

> " I realised he was something special as soon as I

saw it. "

> Mr Morgan said the Capricorn beetle depends on very

large oaks for its grubs to feed on over a long period. It is illegal

to kill it anywhere.

> But while this beetle has been saved from the

carpenter's hammer, it will not live for much longer.

> By nature, the giant Capricorn has a short life

span and is likely to survive for only two more weeks

> Once it dies, its body will be donated to the

National Museum of Wales.

>

>

>

>

> Peter H

>

>

> --

--------

> To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the

all new Security Centre.

>

>

>

>

> --

----------

> Talk is cheap. Use Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls.

Great rates starting at 1¢/min.

>

To send an email to -

Guest guest

Ok, I'm sorry Jo, I'll stop. I don't want to grate on any of your nerves, lingual or otherwise.jo <jo.heartwork wrote: LOL - When I was a kid 'gob' was a fairly nasty name for a mouth (smack youin the gob, etc.) To me it just an aweful word that grates on my lingualnerves.Jo-"massagesister" <massagesister >Wednesday, June 28, 2006

11:34 PM Re: Giant beetle emerges from the woodwork , "jo" <jo.heartwork wrote:>I am gobsmacked that you would discourage me from using theterm "gobsacked". This is gobsmacking rediculas. What the gobsmackis the world comeing to?> Please don't.>> Jo> -> cortney aldrich> > Wednesday, June 28, 2006 10:03 PM> Re: Giant beetle emerges from the woodwork>>> Im gonna start saying "gobsmacked" all the time now.>> peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:> Times Online June 28, 2006>>>> A Giant Capricorn beetle unseen in the UK for300 years (Western

Mail/PA)>>>>>> Giant beetle emerges from the woodwork> Lee Glendinning and agencies>>>>>> A giant beetle thought to have been extinct inWales for more than 300 years has been discovered by a carpenter in afurniture workshop.>>> Startled staff at the Llanelli factory huddledround a pile of English Oak when the rare Capricorn beetle climbedout and they came close to hitting it with a hammer.> The creature, which makes a screeching noise byrubbing its legs together, has powerful jaws capable of bitingthrough wood, and antennae up to 10cm long scared staff at TheFoothold Group.> Ben Perrot, a carpenter at the factory said itlooked "like a monster from Dr Who", and he initially thought it wasa plastic toy.> "I thought someone had left it there to give me afright - it looked like something you would get from

a toy shop. Butthen it started to move and realised it was alive."> They placed the beetle in a glass jar and called ina local entomologist who immediately recognised its importance.> "I was gobsmacked because it was bloody huge for abeetle," said Tony Giles, the workshop manager.> "There were a few suggestions to start with betweengetting a 2lb hammer or just throwing it out of the window. Coolerheads prevailed."> Ian Morgan, the entomologist, said there was apossibility the beetle may have been imported from central Europe.> "This type of long-horn beetle was supposed to havebeen extinct in the UK since 1700," he told the Western Mail inCardiff. "This is the first time in centuries that it has been seenhere in Wales.> "It is male and he was found in timber labelledEnglish oak wood, so it makes you question whether this massive beastis alive in England too.> "I realised he was

something special as soon as Isaw it."> Mr Morgan said the Capricorn beetle depends on verylarge oaks for its grubs to feed on over a long period. It is illegalto kill it anywhere.> But while this beetle has been saved from thecarpenter's hammer, it will not live for much longer.> By nature, the giant Capricorn has a short lifespan and is likely to survive for only two more weeks> Once it dies, its body will be donated to theNational Museum of Wales.>>>>> Peter H>>> > To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed theall new Security Centre.>>>>> --> Talk is cheap. Use Messenger to make

PC-to-Phone calls.Great rates starting at 1¢/min.>To send an email to -

Guest guest

Not taking away from the great discovery, but what the heck

does " gobsmacked " mean? :)

Nikki

, peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

>

>

>

> A Giant Capricorn beetle unseen in the UK for 300 years (Western

Mail/PA)

<<SNIP>>

Guest guest

LOL Nikki, Jo and I have been discussing this term. Apparently "gob" can mean mouth. So hit in the mouth.....still not sure. All I know is that it is my new favorite gobsmacking word, you can use it for anything! gobsmacked, Cortneyearthstrm <earthstorm wrote: Not taking away from the great discovery, but what the heck does "gobsmacked" mean? :)Nikki , peter VV

<swpgh01 wrote:>> Times Online June 28, 2006> > > A Giant Capricorn beetle unseen in the UK for 300 years (Western Mail/PA) <<SNIP>>

Want to be your own boss? Learn how on Small Business.

Guest guest

Hi Nikki

>Not taking away from the great discovery, but what the heck

>does " gobsmacked " mean? :)

You mean that there's a horrible abuse of the English language that you *don't* have in the US??? Maybe there's hope for you yet ;-)

It means shocked, but it's really a rather tasteless word IMHO :-)

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Nikki

Smacked in the mouth.

BB

Jo

-

" earthstrm " <earthstorm

Thursday, June 29, 2006 1:52 PM

> Not taking away from the great discovery, but what the heck

> does " gobsmacked " mean? :)

>

> Nikki

Guest guest

Don't worry too much :-) I can live with it.

Jo

-

cortney aldrich

Thursday, June 29, 2006 1:20 PM

Re: Re: Giant beetle emerges from the woodwork

Ok, I'm sorry Jo, I'll stop. I don't want to grate on any of your nerves, lingual or otherwise.jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

LOL - When I was a kid 'gob' was a fairly nasty name for a mouth (smack youin the gob, etc.) To me it just an aweful word that grates on my lingualnerves.Jo-"massagesister" <massagesister >Wednesday, June 28, 2006 11:34 PM Re: Giant beetle emerges from the woodwork , "jo" <jo.heartwork wrote:>I am gobsmacked that you would discourage me from using theterm "gobsacked". This is gobsmacking rediculas. What the gobsmackis the world comeing to?> Please don't.>> Jo> -> cortney aldrich> > Wednesday, June 28, 2006 10:03 PM> Re: Giant beetle emerges from the woodwork>>> Im gonna start saying "gobsmacked" all the time now.>> peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:> Times Online June 28, 2006>>>> A Giant Capricorn beetle unseen in the UK for300 years (Western Mail/PA)>>>>>> Giant beetle emerges from the woodwork> Lee Glendinning and agencies>>>>>> A giant beetle thought to have been extinct inWales for more than 300 years has been discovered by a carpenter in afurniture workshop.>>> Startled staff at the Llanelli factory huddledround a pile of English Oak when the rare Capricorn beetle climbedout and they came close to hitting it with a hammer.> The creature, which makes a screeching noise byrubbing its legs together, has powerful jaws capable of bitingthrough wood, and antennae up to 10cm long scared staff at TheFoothold Group.> Ben Perrot, a carpenter at the factory said itlooked "like a monster from Dr Who", and he initially thought it wasa plastic toy.> "I thought someone had left it there to give me afright - it looked like something you would get from a toy shop. Butthen it started to move and realised it was alive."> They placed the beetle in a glass jar and called ina local entomologist who immediately recognised its importance.> "I was gobsmacked because it was bloody huge for abeetle," said Tony Giles, the workshop manager.> "There were a few suggestions to start with betweengetting a 2lb hammer or just throwing it out of the window. Coolerheads prevailed."> Ian Morgan, the entomologist, said there was apossibility the beetle may have been imported from central Europe.> "This type of long-horn beetle was supposed to havebeen extinct in the UK since 1700," he told the Western Mail inCardiff. "This is the first time in centuries that it has been seenhere in Wales.> "It is male and he was found in timber labelledEnglish oak wood, so it makes you question whether this massive beastis alive in England too.> "I realised he was something special as soon as Isaw it."> Mr Morgan said the Capricorn beetle depends on verylarge oaks for its grubs to feed on over a long period. It is illegalto kill it anywhere.> But while this beetle has been saved from thecarpenter's hammer, it will not live for much longer.> By nature, the giant Capricorn has a short lifespan and is likely to survive for only two more weeks> Once it dies, its body will be donated to theNational Museum of Wales.>>>>> Peter H>>> > To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed theall new Security Centre.>>>>> --> Talk is cheap. Use Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls.Great rates starting at 1¢/min.>To send an email to -

Guest guest

I admit it, I have a personal menagerie of extinctions. Anyone want a dodo? The Valley Vegan.......................Peter Kebbell <metalscarab wrote: Hi Peter > A giant beetle thought to have been extinct in Wales for more than 300 years has been > discovered by a carpenter in a furniture workshop Own up... where've you been hiding them all this time? ;-) BB Peter Peter H

Try the all-new Mail . "The New Version is radically easier to use" – The Wall Street Journal

Guest guest

Hi Jo

> Smacked in the mouth.

Not quite as nice as I though originally.

I think I found appeal to it because it reminds me of a great band. :)

Ah well, off to find a better word

BB

Nikki :)

Guest guest

Hi Nikki

>Not quite as nice as I though originally.

>I think I found appeal to it because it reminds me of a great band. :)

Which band?

>Ah well, off to find a better word

I can highly recommend elucidate, and hypercoristicon - they're two of my favourites.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Nikki

Which band is that?

BB

Jo

-

" earthstrm " <earthstorm

Thursday, June 29, 2006 11:56 PM

> Hi Jo

>

>

> > Smacked in the mouth.

>

> Not quite as nice as I though originally.

>

> I think I found appeal to it because it reminds me of a great band. :)

>

> Ah well, off to find a better word

>

> BB

> Nikki :)

Guest guest

Hi Peter/Nikki

I wish I had favourite words. I can never remember the long ones. I suppose I like the word 'nice', which most people don't.

BBJo

-

Peter Kebbell

Friday, June 30, 2006 8:26 AM

Re: Re: Giant beetle emerges from the woodwork

Hi Nikki

>Not quite as nice as I though originally.

>I think I found appeal to it because it reminds me of a great band. :)

Which band?

>Ah well, off to find a better word

I can highly recommend elucidate, and hypercoristicon - they're two of my favourites.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

no...gobsmacked is a very English colloquilism....

the only people that i've ever known to use gob in any way shape er form over here were folks talking about "gobbing", spitting, on folks, and this was...bloody hell...umm...over 25 years ago....

and this was very much an english import

tally ho!

Peter Kebbell Jun 29, 2006 6:29 AM Re: Re: Giant beetle emerges from the woodwork

Hi Nikki

>Not taking away from the great discovery, but what the heck

>does "gobsmacked" mean? :)

You mean that there's a horrible abuse of the English language that you *don't* have in the US??? Maybe there's hope for you yet ;-)

It means shocked, but it's really a rather tasteless word IMHO :-)

BB

Peter

Defending this corruption on which you are sat

You tell me what to think, you tell me this and that

`Freedom is O.K. you scum` but make sure it`s never used

In your defence of liberty I always stand accused

Guest guest

oh wait...i stand corrected

my friend pete the roadie has said gobsmacked recently....

nevermind....

cortney aldrich Jun 29, 2006 5:20 AM Re: Re: Giant beetle emerges from the woodwork Ok, I'm sorry Jo, I'll stop. I don't want to grate on any of your nerves, lingual or otherwise.jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

LOL - When I was a kid 'gob' was a fairly nasty name for a mouth (smack youin the gob, etc.) To me it just an aweful word that grates on my lingualnerves.Jo-"massagesister" <massagesister >Wednesday, June 28, 2006 11:34 PM Re: Giant beetle emerges from the woodwork , "jo" <jo.heartwork wrote:>I am gobsmacked that you would discourage me from using theterm "gobsacked". This is gobsmacking rediculas. What the gobsmackis the world comeing to?> Please don't.>> Jo> -> cortney aldrich> > Wednesday, June 28, 2006 10:03 PM> Re: Giant beetle emerges from the woodwork>>> Im gonna start saying "gobsmacked" all the time now.>> peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:> Times Online June 28, 2006>>>> A Giant Capricorn beetle unseen in the UK for300 years (Western Mail/PA)>>>>>> Giant beetle emerges from the woodwork> Lee Glendinning and agencies>>>>>> A giant beetle thought to have been extinct inWales for more than 300 years has been discovered by a carpenter in afurniture workshop.>>> Startled staff at the Llanelli factory huddledround a pile of English Oak when the rare Capricorn beetle climbedout and they came close to hitting it with a hammer.> The creature, which makes a screeching noise byrubbing its legs together, has powerful jaws capable of bitingthrough wood, and antennae up to 10cm long scared staff at TheFoothold Group.> Ben Perrot, a carpenter at the factory said itlooked "like a monster from Dr Who", and he initially thought it wasa plastic toy.> "I thought someone had left it there to give me afright - it looked like something you would get from a toy shop. Butthen it started to move and realised it was alive."> They placed the beetle in a glass jar and called ina local entomologist who immediately recognised its importance.> "I was gobsmacked because it was bloody huge for abeetle," said Tony Giles, the workshop manager.> "There were a few suggestions to start with betweengetting a 2lb hammer or just throwing it out of the window. Coolerheads prevailed."> Ian Morgan, the entomologist, said there was apossibility the beetle may have been imported from central Europe.> "This type of long-horn beetle was supposed to havebeen extinct in the UK since 1700," he told the Western Mail inCardiff. "This is the first time in centuries that it has been seenhere in Wales.> "It is male and he was found in timber labelledEnglish oak wood, so it makes you question whether this massive beastis alive in England too.> "I realised he was something special as soon as Isaw it."> Mr Morgan said the Capricorn beetle depends on verylarge oaks for its grubs to feed on over a long period. It is illegalto kill it anywhere.> But while this beetle has been saved from thecarpenter's hammer, it will not live for much longer.> By nature, the giant Capricorn has a short lifespan and is likely to survive for only two more weeks> Once it dies, its body will be donated to theNational Museum of Wales.>>>>> Peter H>>> > To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed theall new Security Centre.>>>>> --> Talk is cheap. Use Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls.Great rates starting at 1¢/min.>To send an email to -

Guest guest

Ok word smith...what does "colloquilism" mean then.fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: no...gobsmacked is a very English colloquilism.... the only people that i've ever known to use gob in any way shape er form over here were folks talking about "gobbing", spitting, on folks, and this was...bloody hell...umm...over 25 years ago.... and this was very much an english import tally ho! Peter Kebbell

Jun 29, 2006 6:29 AM Re: Re: Giant beetle emerges from the woodwork Hi Nikki >Not taking away from the great discovery, but what the heck >does "gobsmacked" mean? :) You mean that there's a horrible abuse of the English language that you *don't* have in the US??? Maybe there's hope for you yet ;-) It means shocked, but it's really a rather tasteless word IMHO :-) BB Peter Defending this corruption on which you are sat You tell me what to think, you tell me this and that `Freedom is O.K. you scum` but make sure it`s never used In your defence of liberty I always stand accused

Sneak preview the all-new .com. It's not radically different. Just radically better.

Guest guest

Hi Peter

> >Not quite as nice as I though originally.

> >I think I found appeal to it because it reminds me of a great

band. :)

> Which band?

Are you serious?

Godsmack

> >Ah well, off to find a better word

> I can highly recommend elucidate, and hypercoristicon - they're

two of my

> favourites.

Well then I definately cannot use those, I need original ones of my

own. :)

BB

Nikki

Guest guest

Hi Jo

I thought Peter was just kidding when he asked. Do you not have

Godsmack over there?

BB

Nikki

>

> Hi Nikki

>

> Which band is that?

>

> BB

> Jo

Guest guest

Hi Jo

That's a good word!

BB

Nikki

>

> Hi Peter/Nikki

>

> I wish I had favourite words. I can never remember the long ones.

I suppose I like the word 'nice', which most people don't.

>

> BB

> Jo

Guest guest

Hi Nikki

> > Which band?

> Are you serious?

Oh, sorry, I thought this was Nikki. Let me start again... Hi John.

> Godsmack

Oh, them - haven't heard of them for years! :-)

> > I can highly recommend elucidate, and hypercoristicon - they're two of

my

> > favourites.

> Well then I definately cannot use those, I need original ones of my

> own. :)

But there's 6 billion people in the world... how will you know that any word

you pick isn't someone else's favourite?

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Peter

> > > Which band?

> > Are you serious?

> Oh, sorry, I thought this was Nikki. Let me start again... Hi John.

???????

> > Godsmack

> Oh, them - haven't heard of them for years! :-)

I heard them just the other day :)

> > > I can highly recommend elucidate, and hypercoristicon -

they're two of

> my

> > > favourites.

> > Well then I definately cannot use those, I need original ones of

my

> > own. :)

> But there's 6 billion people in the world... how will you know

that any word

> you pick isn't someone else's favourite?

Hey now, what's with the combining of posts here? :)

At least whatever I pick will not be highly publicized as someone

elses. :)

BB

Nikki