IndiaDivine.org

The Vegan Variant: Monty's Blue Plate Diner

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

No idea where this is, or where Madison is ( sorry Frag ) Submitted by Nicole on Wed, 2006-07-05 09:55. Food | Restaurants | Vegan Variant Who doesn't appreciate diners? They're cozy yet stylish, either intentionally or in an accidental, vintage way, and wax nostalgia whether you have been in a diner before in your life or not. Monty's Blue Plate Diner is all of the above and more. It has a modern yet vintage 50's theme, with old, framed photographs on the wall of celebrities and icons, as well as my favorite vintage photograph there of a bunch of hot ("greasers", I suppose) dudes working on an old car. Omnivores and vegetarians are no longer the only ones who can lock eyes over a classic milkshake: vegans can ogle each other over an excellent soy version just as easily here. I'm not only going to point out why Monty's is good for vegan eating, but why it's also good for vegan dating. First, Monty's is right off the bike path, so it's even more fun getting there with a bike ride through the Atwood neighborhood (and of course there is a bike rack in front). You can eat outside if you so desire, weather permitting; otherwise indoors has air conditioning (but I will say, a lot of the time it is way too cold in

there, so bring a sweater). The music is old classics from the 50's, which makes it fun and not tacky or unbearable. There are very long booths that seat large numbers of people (or sometimes just two), smaller tables on the other side (good for a date... or if it's not busy, the booths are even better), and counter seating. If you go during brunch hours on a weekend, be prepared to have your stomach eat itself before you get seated, because it is PACKED during those times (usually at least). As for the food.... the menu is a good size and has more than a few options for the vegan-inclined. The vegetarian section is headlined as such, and has an even balance of only vegetarian, vegetarian that can be made vegan, and straight up vegan fare. Be knowledgeable in your possible selections, because on occasion, I have been assured by a wait staff that what I was considering ordering was vegan, only to find out some months later that it was definitely not from someone

else. Specifically, that was the Black Bean Burger... so.... don't get it, I guess (egg whites). I am by no means insulting the wait staff, I am just saying whomever had been assuring me clearly didn't know. What is in fact vegan is the Vegan BBQ "Pork" Sandwich, which is small chunks of seitan smothered in a sweet and smoky barbeque sauce on a bun. It comes with standard vegetable sandwich toppings (pickles, lettuce, etc.) and a dollop of a horseradish-y mustard, which I always skip because it makes my nose burn and takes away from the greatness of the barbeque. Another good one is the Sheldon. This is marinated tofu with sauerkraut, tomatoes, and pickles on rye bread (also with cheese, but just ask for no cheese). It is salty and filling and good, a little greasy though. Both of these come with either fries or a bean salad. I still have not gotten a clear answer whether the seasoned fries are vegan or not... if anyone out there knows for certain, please

comment. But to be safe, I always then get the bean salad, which is great, or regular fries. The vegetarian chili is pretty thick. It's probably a notch above mediocre. I get it if I go there and I'm not hungry enough for an entire meal and/or it's an abominable Wisconsin winter and I want to get the feeling back in my extremities. It comes with cornbread, which is not vegan. Maybe none of those suggestions are good date-material from harsh ingredients/scents left on the breath, but like they say, if you both eat garlic, then it's as if no one did. Besides, barbeque sauce smeared across your face shows your "down-to-earth" side... yeah? Dessert... there is actually a place where vegans can order dessert... that exists in the same location as where dinner was acquired. The fruit pies are vegan (not the fancy ones with crazy toppings... but the standard kind)... I have asked many times. They also have soy ice cream and soy shakes and

malts. The prices are exceptional for the portions (mostly from the sandwich part of the menu... if you move to the "dinner" or "salad" sections, it gets a little pricier) so you aren't required to go dutch for us poor-sies out there, you can order in confidence without wondering if anything is or can be specially made vegan, the seating is cozy and intimate, the music is good and not aggravating, and there is dessert without the exploitation or butchering of animals... what more could you ask for! Entree prices: $4.00 - $10.00 Hours: Mon - Thurs 7am - 9pm, Fri 7am -10pm,Sat 7:30am - 10pm, Sun 7:30am - 9pm Notes: Beer and wine served. Personal checks, VISA and MasterCard accepted. Carryout available. Handicapped Accessible.Peter H

The all-new Mail goes wherever you go - free your email address from your Internet provider.

Guest guest

Madison is in Wisconsin...

i'm not the only Yank on this site you know!!!

:)

peter VV Jul 6, 2006 1:42 PM Re: Re: The Vegan Variant: Monty's Blue Plate Diner

No idea where this is, or where Madison is ( sorry Frag )

Submitted by Nicole on Wed, 2006-07-05 09:55. Food | Restaurants | Vegan Variant

Who doesn't appreciate diners? They're cozy yet stylish, either intentionally or in an accidental, vintage way, and wax nostalgia whether you have been in a diner before in your life or not.

Monty's Blue Plate Diner is all of the above and more. It has a modern yet vintage 50's theme, with old, framed photographs on the wall of celebrities and icons, as well as my favorite vintage photograph there of a bunch of hot ("greasers", I suppose) dudes working on an old car.

Omnivores and vegetarians are no longer the only ones who can lock eyes over a classic milkshake: vegans can ogle each other over an excellent soy version just as easily here. I'm not only going to point out why Monty's is good for vegan eating, but why it's also good for vegan dating.

First, Monty's is right off the bike path, so it's even more fun getting there with a bike ride through the Atwood neighborhood (and of course there is a bike rack in front). You can eat outside if you so desire, weather permitting; otherwise indoors has air conditioning (but I will say, a lot of the time it is way too cold in there, so bring a sweater). The music is old classics from the 50's, which makes it fun and not tacky or unbearable. There are very long booths that seat large numbers of people (or sometimes just two), smaller tables on the other side (good for a date... or if it's not busy, the booths are even better), and counter seating. If you go during brunch hours on a weekend, be prepared to have your stomach eat itself before you get seated, because it is PACKED during those times (usually at least).

As for the food.... the menu is a good size and has more than a few options for the vegan-inclined. The vegetarian section is headlined as such, and has an even balance of only vegetarian, vegetarian that can be made vegan, and straight up vegan fare. Be knowledgeable in your possible selections, because on occasion, I have been assured by a wait staff that what I was considering ordering was vegan, only to find out some months later that it was definitely not from someone else. Specifically, that was the Black Bean Burger... so.... don't get it, I guess (egg whites). I am by no means insulting the wait staff, I am just saying whomever had been assuring me clearly didn't know. What is in fact vegan is the Vegan BBQ "Pork" Sandwich, which is small chunks of seitan smothered in a sweet and smoky barbeque sauce on a bun. It comes with standard vegetable sandwich toppings (pickles, lettuce, etc.) and a dollop of a horseradish-y mustard, which I always skip because it makes my nose burn and takes away from the greatness of the barbeque.

Another good one is the Sheldon. This is marinated tofu with sauerkraut, tomatoes, and pickles on rye bread (also with cheese, but just ask for no cheese). It is salty and filling and good, a little greasy though. Both of these come with either fries or a bean salad. I still have not gotten a clear answer whether the seasoned fries are vegan or not... if anyone out there knows for certain, please comment. But to be safe, I always then get the bean salad, which is great, or regular fries.

The vegetarian chili is pretty thick. It's probably a notch above mediocre. I get it if I go there and I'm not hungry enough for an entire meal and/or it's an abominable Wisconsin winter and I want to get the feeling back in my extremities. It comes with cornbread, which is not vegan.

Maybe none of those suggestions are good date-material from harsh ingredients/scents left on the breath, but like they say, if you both eat garlic, then it's as if no one did. Besides, barbeque sauce smeared across your face shows your "down-to-earth" side... yeah?

Dessert... there is actually a place where vegans can order dessert... that exists in the same location as where dinner was acquired. The fruit pies are vegan (not the fancy ones with crazy toppings... but the standard kind)... I have asked many times. They also have soy ice cream and soy shakes and malts.

The prices are exceptional for the portions (mostly from the sandwich part of the menu... if you move to the "dinner" or "salad" sections, it gets a little pricier) so you aren't required to go dutch for us poor-sies out there, you can order in confidence without wondering if anything is or can be specially made vegan, the seating is cozy and intimate, the music is good and not aggravating, and there is dessert without the exploitation or butchering of animals... what more could you ask for!

Entree prices: $4.00 - $10.00

Hours: Mon - Thurs 7am - 9pm, Fri 7am -10pm,Sat 7:30am - 10pm, Sun 7:30am - 9pm

Notes: Beer and wine served. Personal checks, VISA and MasterCard accepted. Carryout available. Handicapped Accessible.

Peter H

The all-new Mail goes wherever you go - free your email address from your Internet provider.

Defending this corruption on which you are sat

You tell me what to think, you tell me this and that

`Freedom is O.K. you scum` but make sure it`s never used

In your defence of liberty I always stand accused

Guest guest

Consider myself told off.................... Hows the paw, dipstick! The Valley Vegan...........fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: Madison is in Wisconsin... i'm not the only Yank on this site you know!!! :) peter VV Jul 6, 2006 1:42 PM Re: Re: The Vegan Variant: Monty's Blue Plate Diner No idea where this is, or where Madison is ( sorry Frag ) Submitted by Nicole on Wed, 2006-07-05 09:55. Food | Restaurants | Vegan Variant Who doesn't appreciate diners? They're cozy yet stylish, either intentionally or in an accidental, vintage way, and wax nostalgia whether you have been in a diner before in your life or not. Monty's Blue Plate

Diner is all of the above and more. It has a modern yet vintage 50's theme, with old, framed photographs on the wall of celebrities and icons, as well as my favorite vintage photograph there of a bunch of hot ("greasers", I suppose) dudes working on an old car. Omnivores and vegetarians are no longer the only ones who can lock eyes over a classic milkshake: vegans can ogle each other over an excellent soy version just as easily here. I'm not only going to point out why Monty's is good for vegan eating, but why it's also good for vegan dating. First, Monty's is right off the bike path, so it's even more fun getting there with a bike ride through the Atwood neighborhood (and of course there is a bike rack in front). You can eat outside if you so desire, weather permitting; otherwise indoors has air conditioning (but I will say, a lot of the time it is way too cold in there, so bring a sweater). The music is old classics from the 50's, which makes

it fun and not tacky or unbearable. There are very long booths that seat large numbers of people (or sometimes just two), smaller tables on the other side (good for a date... or if it's not busy, the booths are even better), and counter seating. If you go during brunch hours on a weekend, be prepared to have your stomach eat itself before you get seated, because it is PACKED during those times (usually at least). As for the food.... the menu is a good size and has more than a few options for the vegan-inclined. The vegetarian section is headlined as such, and has an even balance of only vegetarian, vegetarian that can be made vegan, and straight up vegan fare. Be knowledgeable in your possible selections, because on occasion, I have been assured by a wait staff that what I was considering ordering was vegan, only to find out some months later that it was definitely not from someone else. Specifically, that was the Black Bean Burger... so.... don't get it, I

guess (egg whites). I am by no means insulting the wait staff, I am just saying whomever had been assuring me clearly didn't know. What is in fact vegan is the Vegan BBQ "Pork" Sandwich, which is small chunks of seitan smothered in a sweet and smoky barbeque sauce on a bun. It comes with standard vegetable sandwich toppings (pickles, lettuce, etc.) and a dollop of a horseradish-y mustard, which I always skip because it makes my nose burn and takes away from the greatness of the barbeque. Another good one is the Sheldon. This is marinated tofu with sauerkraut, tomatoes, and pickles on rye bread (also with cheese, but just ask for no cheese). It is salty and filling and good, a little greasy though. Both of these come with either fries or a bean salad. I still have not gotten a clear answer whether the seasoned fries are vegan or not... if anyone out there knows for certain, please comment. But to be safe, I always then get the bean salad, which is great, or

regular fries. The vegetarian chili is pretty thick. It's probably a notch above mediocre. I get it if I go there and I'm not hungry enough for an entire meal and/or it's an abominable Wisconsin winter and I want to get the feeling back in my extremities. It comes with cornbread, which is not vegan. Maybe none of those suggestions are good date-material from harsh ingredients/scents left on the breath, but like they say, if you both eat garlic, then it's as if no one did. Besides, barbeque sauce smeared across your face shows your "down-to-earth" side... yeah? Dessert... there is actually a place where vegans can order dessert... that exists in the same location as where dinner was acquired. The fruit pies are vegan (not the fancy ones with crazy toppings... but the standard kind)... I have asked many times. They also have soy ice cream and soy shakes and malts. The prices are exceptional for the portions (mostly from the

sandwich part of the menu... if you move to the "dinner" or "salad" sections, it gets a little pricier) so you aren't required to go dutch for us poor-sies out there, you can order in confidence without wondering if anything is or can be specially made vegan, the seating is cozy and intimate, the music is good and not aggravating, and there is dessert without the exploitation or butchering of animals... what more could you ask for! Entree prices: $4.00 - $10.00 Hours: Mon - Thurs 7am - 9pm, Fri 7am -10pm,Sat 7:30am - 10pm, Sun 7:30am - 9pm Notes: Beer and wine served. Personal checks, VISA and MasterCard accepted. Carryout available. Handicapped Accessible. Peter H

The all-new Mail goes wherever you go - free your email address from your Internet provider. Defending this corruption on which you are sat You tell me what

to think, you tell me this and that `Freedom is O.K. you scum` but make sure it`s never used In your defence of liberty I always stand accusedPeter H

All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine

Guest guest

my knee?

f*cked up

*shrug*

and, somehow..i have to get to a show i'm workin in SF on friday nite....

ugh...

peter VV Jul 6, 2006 3:25 PM Re: Re: The Vegan Variant: Monty's Blue Plate Diner

Consider myself told off....................

Hows the paw, dipstick!

The Valley Vegan...........fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

Madison is in Wisconsin...

i'm not the only Yank on this site you know!!!

:)

-----

"NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice. They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no recourse nor protection save to call for the impeachment of the current President."

Guest guest

If its that bad how you gonnado a show hoppalong? The Valley Vegan..............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: my knee? f*cked up *shrug* and, somehow..i have to get to a show i'm workin in SF on friday nite.... ugh... peter VV Jul 6, 2006 3:25 PM Re: Re: The Vegan Variant: Monty's Blue Plate Diner Consider myself told off.................... Hows the paw,

dipstick! The Valley Vegan...........fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: Madison is in Wisconsin... i'm not the only Yank on this site you know!!! :) ----- "NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice. They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no recourse nor protection save to call for the impeachment of the current President."Peter H

All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine

Guest guest

i stand and take money all nite at this place

i can stand on one leg...

peter VV Jul 6, 2006 3:38 PM Re: Re: The Vegan Variant: Monty's Blue Plate Diner

If its that bad how you gonnado a show hoppalong?

The Valley Vegan..............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

my knee?

f*cked up

*shrug*

ugh...

"NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice. They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no recourse nor protection save to call for the impeachment of the current President."

Guest guest

You serious? I hope you got backup. You should be resting that knee. The Valley Vegan...........fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: i stand and take money all nite at this place i can stand on one leg... peter VV Jul 6, 2006 3:38 PM Re: Re: The Vegan Variant: Monty's Blue Plate Diner If its that bad how you gonnado a show hoppalong? The Valley Vegan..............fraggle

<EBbrewpunx wrote: my knee? f*cked up *shrug* and, somehow..i have to get to a show i'm workin in SF on friday nite.... ugh... "NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice. They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no recourse nor protection save to call for the impeachment of the current President."Peter H

Inbox full of spam? Get leading spam protection and 1GB storage with All New Mail.

Guest guest

Of course you can. I hurt my knee on the way to the cinema about 7 years ago. Waited until we'd seen the film before I got it x-rayed and the next night stood on one leg all evening for a Sepultura concert.

Jo

-

fraggle

Thursday, July 06, 2006 8:54 PM

Re: Re: The Vegan Variant: Monty's Blue Plate Diner

peter VV Jul 6, 2006 3:38 PM Re: Re: The Vegan Variant: Monty's Blue Plate Diner

my knee?

f*cked up

*shrug*

ugh...

Guest guest

Sorry Jo, no offense, but the thought of someone your age standing all night on one leg at a Sepultura gig is fairly amusing................ The Valley Vegan............jo <jo.heartwork wrote: Of course you can. I hurt my knee on the way to the cinema about 7 years ago. Waited until we'd seen the film before I got it x-rayed and the next night stood on one leg all evening for a Sepultura concert. Jo -----

Original Message ----- fraggle Thursday, July 06, 2006 8:54 PM Re: Re: The Vegan Variant: Monty's Blue Plate Diner i stand and take money all nite at this place i can stand on one leg... peter VV Jul 6, 2006 3:38 PM Re:

Re: The Vegan Variant: Monty's Blue Plate Diner If its that bad how you gonnado a show hoppalong? The Valley Vegan..............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: my knee? f*cked up *shrug* and, somehow..i have to get to a show i'm workin in SF on friday nite.... ugh..."NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice. They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no recourse nor protection save

to call for the impeachment of the current President." Peter H

Inbox full of spam? Get leading spam protection and 1GB storage with All New Mail.

Guest guest

I don't mind it amusing you. I had a fantastic evening and incidentally, I was probably only about 52 then :-) If you're interested we have our tickets for the Bloodstock weekend in September, Iron Maiden in December, and will be booking for ProgPowerUK in March, and Opeth, Anathema and Dragonforce concerts in the autumn. You never know what else might turn up.

Jo

-

peter VV

Friday, July 07, 2006 9:01 PM

Sorry Jo, no offense, but the thought of someone your age standing all night on one leg at a Sepultura gig is fairly amusing................

The Valley Vegan............jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

Of course you can. I hurt my knee on the way to the cinema about 7 years ago. Waited until we'd seen the film before I got it x-rayed and the next night stood on one leg all evening for a Sepultura concert.

Jo

-

fraggle

Thursday, July 06, 2006 8:54 PM

my knee?

f*cked up

*shrug*

ugh..."NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice. They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no recourse nor protection save

to call for the impeachment of the current President."

Peter H

Guest guest

Nice to know your still out there enjoying the live music scene. The Valley Vegan..............jo <jo.heartwork wrote: I don't mind it amusing you. I had a fantastic evening and incidentally, I was probably only about 52 then :-) If you're interested we have our tickets for the Bloodstock weekend in September, Iron Maiden in December, and will be booking for ProgPowerUK in March, and Opeth, Anathema and Dragonforce concerts in the autumn. You never know what else might turn up. Jo - peter VV Friday, July 07, 2006 9:01 PM Re: Re: The Vegan Variant: Monty's Blue Plate Diner Sorry Jo, no offense, but the thought of someone your age standing all night on one leg at a Sepultura gig is fairly amusing................ The Valley Vegan............jo <jo.heartwork wrote: Of course you can. I hurt my knee on the way to the cinema about 7 years ago. Waited until we'd seen the film before I got it x-rayed and the next night stood on one leg all evening for a Sepultura concert. Jo - fraggle Thursday, July 06, 2006 8:54 PM Re: Re: The Vegan Variant: Monty's Blue Plate Diner i stand and take money all nite at this place i can stand on one leg... peter VV Jul 6, 2006 3:38 PM Re: Re: The Vegan Variant: Monty's Blue Plate Diner If its that bad how you gonnado a show hoppalong? The Valley Vegan..............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: my knee? f*cked up *shrug* and, somehow..i have to get to a show i'm workin in SF on friday nite.... ugh..."NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice. They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no recourse nor protection save to call for the impeachment of the current President." Peter H Inbox full of spam? Get leading spam protection and 1GB storage with All New Mail. Peter H

Try the all-new Mail . "The New Version is radically easier to use" – The Wall Street Journal