IndiaDivine.org

Fw: Perception or truth?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Wife is watchin some reverse racist film about a black girl taking a white boyfriend home, and it made me think about something someone once said that vegetarianism is a white middle class thing. Now I dont buy the class thing, or the striclty white thing, but are there any black ( excuse me if it should be afro/caribean ) people on this list?, and I must admit, I havent met any black vegans - the only famous british one I can think of is the excellent poet benjamin zepheniah. What say all of you? Peter H

All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine

Guest guest

Hi Peter

It's an interesting question. I know a number of Indian & Asian vegetarians, but even in the multi-cultural heart of Bristol, I don't know any black (apologies if this is not the current PC term) veggies, and I've never seen any turn up to the Kebele regular vegan / veggie nights, which is slap bank in the middle of the most ethnically diverse area of the city.... so perhaps it is a largely white middle-class thing. If that's true, I think it's quite sad really :-(

BB

Peter

-

peter VV

Saturday, July 08, 2006 9:38 PM

Re: Fw: Perception or truth?

Wife is watchin some reverse racist film about a black girl taking a white boyfriend home, and it made me think about something someone once said that vegetarianism is a white middle class thing.

Now I dont buy the class thing, or the striclty white thing, but are there any black ( excuse me if it should be afro/caribean ) people on this list?, and I must admit, I havent met any black vegans - the only famous british one I can think of is the excellent poet benjamin zepheniah.

What say all of you?

Peter H

All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine

Guest guest

I don't know any vegans other than white. Mind you, where I live it is quite countryfied and the population is not very diverse. One of my Indian friends is vegetarian - but that's about it.

Jo

-

Peter

Sunday, July 09, 2006 9:13 PM

Hi Peter

It's an interesting question. I know a number of Indian & Asian vegetarians, but even in the multi-cultural heart of Bristol, I don't know any black (apologies if this is not the current PC term) veggies, and I've never seen any turn up to the Kebele regular vegan / veggie nights, which is slap bank in the middle of the most ethnically diverse area of the city.... so perhaps it is a largely white middle-class thing. If that's true, I think it's quite sad really :-(

BB

Peter

-

peter VV

Saturday, July 08, 2006 9:38 PM

Wife is watchin some reverse racist film about a black girl taking a white boyfriend home, and it made me think about something someone once said that vegetarianism is a white middle class thing.

Now I dont buy the class thing, or the striclty white thing, but are there any black ( excuse me if it should be afro/caribean ) people on this list?, and I must admit, I havent met any black vegans - the only famous british one I can think of is the excellent poet benjamin zepheniah.

What say all of you?

Peter H

Guest guest

the second vegan i ever met was african american......

peter VV Jul 8, 2006 1:38 PM Re: Fw: Perception or truth?

What say all of you?

Peter H

Defending this corruption on which you are sat

You tell me what to think, you tell me this and that

`Freedom is O.K. you scum` but make sure it`s never used

In your defence of liberty I always stand accused

Guest guest

ok..thought about this fer the last 20 minutes er so..and have a couple comments...

i think a LOT of this may stem from a different sort of..how to put this, racism, or prejudice, that we may not be consider

now, can't speak of wot happens over across the pond

but here..off the top of my head, i can think of three vegan/vegetarian restaurants that are owned by african americans within 2 miles of my haus...(black muslim bakery, that jamaican place downtown, and that vegan place over on the berkeley border)

ans this begs the point of all the other peoples who are vegan/vegetarian...indian, asian...etc

wot about ethiopian?

how to put this...

maybe its that we all go to different places t oit..fer wotever reason

maybe its all very divided?

maybe, like when you go out to wotever restaurant...."we" only go to places that well, other people of european descent go...

????

at some level, there is a cultural bias...i know here in the good ol US o A, there's a whole thing of "what, you don't eat pork? you don't eat chicken?" amongst certain segments of the population..

and, especially in more poorer neighborhoods, there really isn't any healthy food...its all corner liquor stores and fast food....

BUT, that said, there are still hordes of healthy movements and the like in those communities

muslim vegetarian movements

rastafarianism

and some other religious movements

but..again saying this is a "white middle class" movement is almost offensive i think to all the other peoples of the world who have this diet almost hardwired into their cultures...

consider what happens when people from other places come here to the West...how they get all sorta health ailments...ones that are basically unknown where they hail from(cardiac issues, hypertension, high blood pressure, obesity, etc and so forth)...

cheers

fraggle

"NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice. They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no recourse nor protection save to call for the impeachment of the current President."

Guest guest

I hear what you are saying and I think it definately is more different on both sides of the pond. I think that saying came from this side of the water about 5 years ago on some telly programme, There certainly doesnt seem to be the same choice over here as over there, certainly less choices in the sticks as it were. You may well have 3 vegan/vegetarian businesses within 2 miles, for me it would probably be 20 miles, and that would be pushing it.(Another reason I dont eat out ). And are there any black vegans on this list? The Valley Vegan..............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: ok..thought about this fer the last 20 minutes er so..and have a couple comments... i think a LOT of this may stem from a different

sort of..how to put this, racism, or prejudice, that we may not be consider now, can't speak of wot happens over across the pond but here..off the top of my head, i can think of three vegan/vegetarian restaurants that are owned by african americans within 2 miles of my haus...(black muslim bakery, that jamaican place downtown, and that vegan place over on the berkeley border) ans this begs the point of all the other peoples who are vegan/vegetarian...indian, asian...etc wot about ethiopian? how to put this... maybe its that we all go to different places t oit..fer wotever reason maybe its all very divided? maybe, like when you go out to wotever restaurant...."we" only go to places that well, other people of european descent go... ???? at some level, there is a cultural bias...i know here in the good ol US o A, there's

a whole thing of "what, you don't eat pork? you don't eat chicken?" amongst certain segments of the population.. and, especially in more poorer neighborhoods, there really isn't any healthy food...its all corner liquor stores and fast food.... BUT, that said, there are still hordes of healthy movements and the like in those communities muslim vegetarian movements rastafarianism and some other religious movements but..again saying this is a "white middle class" movement is almost offensive i think to all the other peoples of the world who have this diet almost hardwired into their cultures... consider what happens when people from other places come here to the West...how they get all sorta health ailments...ones that are

basically unknown where they hail from(cardiac issues, hypertension, high blood pressure, obesity, etc and so forth)... cheers fraggle "NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice. They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no recourse nor protection save to call for the impeachment of the current President."Peter H

Try the all-new Mail . "The New Version is radically easier to use" – The Wall Street Journal

Guest guest

I still dont buy it, in any country it aint a middle class thing. However, the black thing? well there are plenty of vegetarian Indians/ Pakistani/Bangeladeshi etc, after all its a lot of their religions influence, but african origins? cant think of any ( apart from Ethiopean/Rastafari ), same for Caribean. I wouldnt expect to see many in the valleys, hell I only know of 1 black family in the vicinity, but somewhere like Bristol as Peter says with its areas like St Pauls? should be a few black vegetarian/vegans? The Valley Vegan.................Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Peter It's an

interesting question. I know a number of Indian & Asian vegetarians, but even in the multi-cultural heart of Bristol, I don't know any black (apologies if this is not the current PC term) veggies, and I've never seen any turn up to the Kebele regular vegan / veggie nights, which is slap bank in the middle of the most ethnically diverse area of the city.... so perhaps it is a largely white middle-class thing. If that's true, I think it's quite sad really :-( BB Peter - peter VV Saturday, July 08, 2006 9:38 PM Re: Fw: Perception or truth? Wife is watchin some reverse racist film about a black girl taking a white boyfriend home, and it made me think about something someone once said that vegetarianism is a white middle class thing. Now I dont buy the class thing, or the striclty white thing, but are there any black ( excuse me if it should be afro/caribean ) people on this list?, and I must admit, I havent met any black vegans - the only famous british one I can think of is the excellent poet benjamin zepheniah. What say all of you? Peter H All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine Peter H

The all-new Mail goes wherever you go - free your email address from your Internet provider.

Guest guest

Hi Fraggle

>ans this begs the point of all the other peoples who are vegan/vegetarian...indian, asian...etc

Well I tend to go to the Indian owned One-Stop Thali.... Tiffins (my fave vegan friendly take-away) is also Indian owned, and so is The Kingston Vegetaria (I think?)

>wot about ethiopian?

I've only known one Ethiopian, and he was only vegan during lent.... I'll never forget the look on his face when I wished him a merry Timkat :-)

>maybe its that we all go to different places t oit..fer wotever reason

>maybe its all very divided?

>maybe, like when you go out to wotever restaurant...."we" only go to places that well, other people of european descent

> go...

This is possible - but I'd have thought that the Uni Veggie society would have a decent cultural mix - which it really doesn't seem to

>but..again saying this is a "white middle class" movement is almost offensive i think to all the other peoples of the world who have

> this diet almost hardwired into their cultures...

Very true - and a good point. Perhaps those from other cultures are more used to being veggie, so don't "seek out" other people to share these things with - after all, vegetarianism is still a bit of an oddity amongst the white-middle class, so perhaps we just band together because we are something "different" from what is expected of our culture (if that makes any sense at all!)

BB

Peter

Guest guest

HI Fraggle

I gather where you live is a very alternative place, with lots of different ethnicities. Therefore it is likely that you do have a choice of lots of different places to eat. Peter (Valley Vegan) lives in Wales where he is lucky to have one vegetarian restaurant within a hundred miles.

In London there is a variety of vegetarian restaurants. We visited a Vietnamese one which was nice. My favourite restaurant is run by Indians. I can honestly say that I know no more than five black people (none of them are veggie or vegan). There is not much in the way of racial mix in my neck of the woods.

I am not stating this from prejudice because I am not prejudiced. It is just a fact here, and I think Peter (VV) has the same kind of environment.

Jo

-

fraggle

Monday, July 10, 2006 5:45 PM

ok..thought about this fer the last 20 minutes er so..and have a couple comments...

i think a LOT of this may stem from a different sort of..how to put this, racism, or prejudice, that we may not be consider

now, can't speak of wot happens over across the pond

but here..off the top of my head, i can think of three vegan/vegetarian restaurants that are owned by african americans within 2 miles of my haus...(black muslim bakery, that jamaican place downtown, and that vegan place over on the berkeley border)

ans this begs the point of all the other peoples who are vegan/vegetarian...indian, asian...etc

wot about ethiopian?

how to put this...

maybe its that we all go to different places t oit..fer wotever reason

maybe its all very divided?

maybe, like when you go out to wotever restaurant...."we" only go to places that well, other people of european descent go...

????

at some level, there is a cultural bias...i know here in the good ol US o A, there's a whole thing of "what, you don't eat pork? you don't eat chicken?" amongst certain segments of the population..

and, especially in more poorer neighborhoods, there really isn't any healthy food...its all corner liquor stores and fast food....

BUT, that said, there are still hordes of healthy movements and the like in those communities

muslim vegetarian movements

rastafarianism

and some other religious movements

but..again saying this is a "white middle class" movement is almost offensive i think to all the other peoples of the world who have this diet almost hardwired into their cultures...

consider what happens when people from other places come here to the West...how they get all sorta health ailments...ones that are basically unknown where they hail from(cardiac issues, hypertension, high blood pressure, obesity, etc and so forth)...

cheers

fraggle

"NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice. They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no recourse nor protection save to call for the impeachment of the current President."

Guest guest

Vegan Restaurants Are Thriving in the Black Community as People Seek a More Healthful LifestyleBy Ron HowellSTAFF WRITER

Mawule Jobe-Simon, owner of the Green Paradise restaurant in Brooklyn, admits he's on the radical end of the vegetarian spectrum.Not only does he shun fish, meat, milk and eggs, but all of his dishes are raw. That means they're made entirely of uncooked vegetables and fruits, creatively blended and spiced, of course.There was a time when a menu like his would have died on arrival in a largely black community. But Jobe-Simon says times, and tastes, have been changing."It's like a new generation, a whole new revolution, just growing stronger and stronger as days go by," said Jobe-Simon, 26, who opened his restaurant on Vanderbilt Avenue six months ago.Black-owned vegan and vegetarian restaurants have been opening at a quick clip in New York and elsewhere, catering to a population that, according to experts, is struggling to reverse grim health statistics and adopt a more healthful lifestyle."It's just amazing right now how many people are getting on this diet," Jobe-Simon said of his veganism.On one single block in Brooklyn - Church Avenue between Flatbush and Bedford avenues - five vegetarian businesses have sprouted in recent years.Some observers think the health explosion is related to an ongoing emigration from the Caribbean, especially from Jamaica, home of the Rastafarian religious group.Rastas are better known for reggae music and smoking marijuana. But "from the beginning, Rasta people have always lived a vegetarian lifestyle, meaning anything that moves is not supposed to be eaten," said Larry Dawson, a Jamaican-born Rastafarian and owner of Health Conscious, a primarily vegetarian food center in Laurelton.Jobe-Simon, the Trinidad-born owner of Green Paradise, also is Rastafarian.Vegetarian entrepreneurs also claim that growing numbers of blacks in the hip-hop generation have acquired a taste for tofu."We're next to a barber shop, and all the guys come in for soy patties," said Jade Williams, 21, assistant manager at Nature's Best health food store in Valley Stream. "The more available it is, the more they will eat it and they say, 'Hey, this is not so bad!'"Williams' father, Gerald Williams, who opened Nature's Best five years ago, is from Jamaica, like so many of the vegan store owners.But it would be wrong to conclude that African- Americans are not onboard the vegetarian train.In fact, some say the granddaddy of black vegetarianism is African-American comedian Dick Gregory. It is an opinion that Gregory, 70, shares."I'm the one who changed the whole thing in the black community," said Gregory, who has written books on the subject and spoken out about it for four decades.In a telephone interview last week from California, Gregory reported the vegan explosion is hitting not only New York, but black communities in Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, St. Louis and Los Angeles.He said the phenomenon is especially dramatic considering black people's long love affair with greasy foods. "It used to be if you told someone not to eat pork, you could almost get into a fight," he said.Gregory called the vegetarian trend "a real explosion, a revolution that's happening across the country in the black community."A sure sign of vegetarianism's deep penetration into black society, Gregory said, is that major soul food restaurants all around the country have put vegetarian platters on their menus.At Sylvia's Soul Food Restaurant on Lenox Avenue in Harlem, manager Judy Smith agreed, saying Sylvia's has a veggie plate consisting of cooked greens, garlic potatoes, yams and salad.In addition to numerous storefronts selling vegan patties and sandwiches, Newsday located about 20 black-owned restaurants serving vegan lunches and dinners in Queens, Brooklyn, Manhattan, the Bronx and Long Island. Nadine Williams wishes there were more.Williams, 24, was eating a lunch last week of flavored soy chunks, chickpeas and brown rice mixed with vegetables at the Veggie Castle on Church Avenue in Brooklyn. "There's a demand for more stores," said Williams, who immigrated to New York from her native Jamaica five years ago. She called herself a "lacto-ovo-vegetarian" who occasionally eats food made with cow's milk or eggs. She chose her new dietary path seven months ago in a pact with a friend."We said we would do it for two weeks, and it just progressed from there," said Williams, a business journalism major at Baruch College.In giving up meat and fish, she said, "There's been a tremendous improvement, especially in my skin. ... I usually had bumps, breakouts, but I don't have them anymore." She said that in her circle of acquaintances she sees a lot more people getting into the vegetarian lifestyle.Few of those interviewed knew much about Joseph and Silva Swinton, a black couple from Queens Village who are accused of endangering their daughter by putting her on a radical vegan diet. Prosecutors say the Swintons fed their daughter, Ice, ground nuts, fresh- squeezed juices, herbal tea, beans, cod liver oil and flaxseed oil. Ice was 15months old at the time authorities discovered her condition in November 2001. She weighed only 10 pounds (a child of that age typically weighs 23 pounds) and appeared to have no muscle, prosecutors said.Ice, now 2, has made significant progress and is living in foster care with her 7-month-old brother. Her parents were arrested in last April; their trial continues this week in Queens Supreme Court.Donna Cover acknowledged she was initially troubled by news reports about the Swintons. But she never wavered in her belief that being a vegan was right for her. And for her four children.When she first became a vegan 21 years ago - before the birth of her oldest child, Joseph - Cover consulted a pediatrician. Since then she hasn't looked back. Her four children have been vegans since birth and "they have never strayed," she said."You should see my son [Joseph, now 20]. He's built up with muscles because he likes to look cute for the girls. ...And all my children are very bright. I connect it to the diet," she said.Donna and Danny Cover, emigrants from Jamaica, own the Strictly Roots vegetarian restaurant in Harlem. Although they are not Rastafarians, a picture of one of the world's most famous Rastas, the late Bob Marley, graces one wall. Next to it is a poster advising customers "How to Win an Argument With a Meat Eater."Among the pointers: Tell the meat eaters it is wrong to kill animals; that a vegetarian diet reduces the risk of heart disease; that agriculture is more effective than livestock grazing for feeding the world's growing population.But experts say appetite, rather than hunger, is what drives most Americans. And so black vegan chefs say they spend hours a day trying to appeal to palates raised on non-vegetarian foods.Listed on the menu at Tchefa's restaurant on Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn are curry soy goat, curry soy shrimp, barbecue soy chicken, sweet and sour tofu, lo mein dishes, and vegetarian cakes and pies."We have all the down-home Southern and West Indian-type food," said Queen Mother Maast Amm Amen, the Bronx-born cook and boss at Tchefa, which means "food of the Gods" in ancient Egyptian.Some say the vegan eating style for blacks is a political act of self-assertion."We are trying to introduce African foods and products that we were robbed of during slavery," said Beta Duckett, manager of the Sundial Herbs and Herbal Health Food Shoppe in Uniondale.Sundial is one of the most successful distributors in the black vegan market in New York. It sells dinners at its Uniondale store but is better known for its Wood Root Tonic, an energy- and strength-booster made of Jamaican herbs and roots that is sold at hundreds of stores in the metropolitan area.Duckett said she and other black vegan business people are trying to cure "the sickest race on the planet."There is much evidence underlying her strong statement. According to the American Heart Association, "the prevalence of high blood pressure in African-Americans in the United States is among the highest in the world." The association also says blacks between the ages of 35 and 54 are four times more likely than whites to die from stroke.Last fall, a group of health advocates formed the Black Vegetarian Society of New York and vowed to try to change those statistics. It met at the Uptown Juice Bar, a popular vegan restaurant in Harlem."There's a growing amount of evidence which shows that vegetarian diets for African-Americans can lead to lower rates of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer and other dietary-related illnesses," said John Sankofa, who is working on a master's degree in public health at Columbia University.Sankofa said that while "some folks might think vegetarianism is growing for fashionable reasons," the trend is as serious as life and death.Incidentally, some business people say, there is money to be made in the changing appetites.Viburt Bernard, who opened the Veggie Castle in 1998, said he was surprised at how well his business has been doing."You think you would get a line that's 80 percent Rastafarian, but that's not so," Bernard said. "I wasn't aware how big vegetarianism is.... They're popping up all over the place, these vegetarian places. It's a big, big business, and it's growing."

FAIR USE NOTICE

Guest guest

then my point would be, that if you (in the general sense of you) don't know many folks of other backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, etc and so forth..then saying you(again, using the general you, not the Jo you)

(holy crap that made no sense)

don't know any vegans of black brown yellow purple green mauve magenta umber pink persuasion is sorta..i dunno..moot?

i don't know any penguins who eat linguine...then again, i don't know any penguins...

*shrug*

it may be that...people of other cultures backgrounds don't go into the "vegan movement" as much as a certain other group

see..the thing is, when this came up..i had to think to myself "ok, last time i went out to eat, how many folks of what ethnic background were in which place"

and i had to think hard...and try to imagine the places

i dunno if its cuz i'm blind er wotever

but..sure..there were many folks of every which way persuasion, sexuality, creed, height....

maybe i'm having issues with it as well..since i don't have vegan friends er this friend er that friend

i have some friends who are vegan....i don't think of i guess as "my vegan friends"...

guess its just the way my brainwaves gather...

er don't gather...

stoopid brain....

fraggle

jo Jul 10, 2006 11:50 AM Re: Fw: Perception or truth?

HI Fraggle

I gather where you live is a very alternative place, with lots of different ethnicities. Therefore it is likely that you do have a choice of lots of different places to eat. Peter (Valley Vegan) lives in Wales where he is lucky to have one vegetarian restaurant within a hundred miles.

Guest guest

Fraggle, take a deep breath, take a long sip, and start again. Holy crap, is there a language barrier here or what?................I mean I know I`m stupid, but that just didnt register in my cranum sorry Fragmiester............. The Valley Vegan............... Streets of wet black holesOn roads you can never knowYou never have themBut, they alway's have you'Till the day that you croak(it's no joke)fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: then my point would be, that if you (in the general sense of you) don't know many folks of other backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, etc and so forth..then saying you(again, using the general you, not the Jo you) (holy crap that made no

sense) don't know any vegans of black brown yellow purple green mauve magenta umber pink persuasion is sorta..i dunno..moot? i don't know any penguins who eat linguine...then again, i don't know any penguins... *shrug* it may be that...people of other cultures backgrounds don't go into the "vegan movement" as much as a certain other group see..the thing is, when this came up..i had to think to myself "ok, last time i went out to eat, how many folks of what ethnic background were in which place" and i had to think hard...and try to imagine the places i dunno if its cuz i'm blind er wotever but..sure..there were many folks of every which way persuasion, sexuality, creed, height.... maybe i'm having issues with it as well..since i don't have vegan friends er this friend er that friend i have some friends who are vegan....i don't think of i guess as "my vegan friends"... guess its just the way my brainwaves gather... er don't gather... stoopid brain.... fraggle jo Jul 10, 2006 11:50 AM Re: Fw: Perception or truth? HI Fraggle I gather where you live is a very

alternative place, with lots of different ethnicities. Therefore it is likely that you do have a choice of lots of different places to eat. Peter (Valley Vegan) lives in Wales where he is lucky to have one vegetarian restaurant within a hundred miles. Defending this corruption on which you are sat You tell me what

to think, you tell me this and that `Freedom is O.K. you scum` but make sure it`s never used In your defence of liberty I always stand accusedPeter H

Guest guest

i took a deep breathe..but forgot to release ...and passed out

peter VV Jul 10, 2006 12:42 PM Re: Fw: Perception or truth?

Fraggle, take a deep breath, take a long sip, and start again. Holy crap, is there a language barrier here or what?................I mean I know I`m stupid, but that just didnt register in my cranum sorry Fragmiester.............

The Valley Vegan...............

Streets of wet black holesOn roads you can never knowYou never have themBut, they alway's have you'Till the day that you croak(it's no joke)fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

then my point would be, that if you (in the general sense of you) don't know many folks of other backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, etc and so forth..then saying you(again, using the general you, not the Jo you)

don't know any vegans of black brown yellow purple green mauve magenta umber pink persuasion is sorta..i dunno..moot?

i don't know any penguins who eat linguine...then again, i don't know any penguins...

*shrug*

it may be that...people of other cultures backgrounds don't go into the "vegan movement" as much as a certain other group

see..the thing is, when this came up..i had to think to myself "ok, last time i went out to eat, how many folks of what ethnic background were in which place"

but..sure..there were many folks of every which way persuasion, sexuality, creed, height....

maybe i'm having issues with it as well..since i don't have vegan friends er this friend er that friend

i have some friends who are vegan....i don't think of i guess as "my vegan friends"...

er don't gather...

stoopid brain....

fraggle

HI Fraggle

I gather where you live is a very alternative place, with lots of different ethnicities. Therefore it is likely that you do have a choice of lots of different places to eat. Peter (Valley Vegan) lives in Wales where he is lucky to have one vegetarian restaurant within a hundred miles. Defending this corruption on which you are sat You tell me what

to think, you tell me this and that `Freedom is O.K. you scum` but make sure it`s never used In your defence of liberty I always stand accused

Peter H

Guest guest

ok

simple terms

how many vegans do you know?

how many people of non-welsh extraction do you know?

peter VV Jul 10, 2006 12:42 PM Re: Fw: Perception or truth?

Fraggle, take a deep breath, take a long sip, and start again. Holy crap, is there a language barrier here or what?................I mean I know I`m stupid, but that just didnt register in my cranum sorry Fragmiester.............

Guest guest

My ex husband is black and he was vegan....but only because his wife refused to cook him anything else!!!!!!!!!! Poor guy, no wonder we're not married anymore, huh?

Talk is cheap. Use Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates starting at 1¢/min.

Guest guest

Hi Fraggle

>as People Seek a More Healthful Lifestyle

OK, I just have to say it... "Healthful"???????? What the heck happened to the perfectly good "healthy"?

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Fraggle

>how many vegans do you know?

>how many people of non-welsh extraction do you know?

You might want to clarify that since about 95% of people in Wales are not of Welsh extraction if you go back more than 2 generations....

BB

Peter

Guest guest

*throws paws up in the air*

ok..what were we talking about again?

Peter Jul 10, 2006 1:15 PM Re: Fw: Perception or truth?

Hi Fraggle

>how many vegans do you know?

>how many people of non-welsh extraction do you know?

You might want to clarify that since about 95% of people in Wales are not of Welsh extraction if you go back more than 2 generations....

BB

Peter

Guest guest

I can only state what I have experienced - five people I know - none vegans. It doesn't make me an expert - just answering the question.

When I go to Rasa in Stoke Newington almost everyone else in there is Indian. Other restaurants I've been in are near enough 100% white people. Maybe it is the restaurants I go to. The only African restaurant around here is a Nando, which is South African, but I have never been in there because it has mainly meat dishes. My South African friends tell me that vegetarianism is not big there, in the white or black population. People enjoy their meat in large quantities there.

What sort of thing would you like me to say?

Jo

-

fraggle

Monday, July 10, 2006 8:31 PM

*shrug*

er don't gather...

stoopid brain....

fraggle

HI Fraggle

Guest guest

LOL - these Americans :-)

Jo

-

Peter

Monday, July 10, 2006 9:14 PM

Hi Fraggle

>as People Seek a More Healthful Lifestyle

OK, I just have to say it... "Healthful"???????? What the heck happened to the perfectly good "healthy"?

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Well, I am an Indian(though am anti-patriotic) ... I am a vegan .. . I know one or two vegans from India .. but then, I know a lot of Vegetarians .. there is a sect in India called as Brahmins and they are supposed to be vegetarians, its their culture .. .. I dont think it is in anyway Racist .. On 7/11/06, Peter Kebbell <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Jo

> LOL - these Americans :-)

What gets me is that they laugh at George Bush when he invents new words.... ;-)

BB

Peter

-- ShivaGraduate Student,State University of New York,Binghamtonhttp://www.shiv.co.nrTo ease another's heartache is to forget one's own.

Guest guest

Indeed .......... :-)

BBJo

-

Peter Kebbell

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 8:39 AM

Hi Jo

What gets me is that they laugh at George Bush when he invents new words.... ;-)

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Shiva

Thanks. I am not racist - just not lucky enough to know lots of people from different races. I wish I knew a lot of vegetarians. I know of some at work and a few who claim to be veggie but eat fish!! I used to know some vegans when we were in the local hunt sab group. Now the only vegans I know are Peter and some of his friends.

Jo

-

Shiva K

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 1:17 PM

Well, I am an Indian(though am anti-patriotic) ... I am a vegan .. . I know one or two vegans from India .. but then, I know a lot of Vegetarians .. there is a sect in India called as Brahmins and they are supposed to be vegetarians, its their culture .. .. I dont think it is in anyway Racist ..

On 7/11/06, Peter Kebbell <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Jo

BB

Peter

-- ShivaGraduate Student,State University of New York,Binghamtonhttp://www.shiv.co.nrTo ease another's heartache is to forget one's own.

Guest guest

Hi Jo,I didn't mean to tell that u r racis or tag you as one. Just wanted to let you know that there are quite a few people from other parts of the world too.I wud be happy to see more and more people becoming vegans or atleast veggie's ... ShivaOn 7/11/06, jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

Hi Shiva

Thanks. I am not racist - just not lucky enough to know lots of people from different races. I wish I knew a lot of vegetarians. I know of some at work and a few who claim to be veggie but eat fish!! I used to know some vegans when we were in the local hunt sab group. Now the only vegans I know are Peter and some of his friends.

Jo

-

Shiva K

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 1:17 PM

Well, I am an Indian(though am anti-patriotic) ... I am a vegan .. . I know one or two vegans from India .. but then, I know a lot of Vegetarians .. there is a sect in India called as Brahmins and they are supposed to be vegetarians, its their culture .. .. I dont think it is in anyway Racist ..

On 7/11/06, Peter Kebbell <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Jo

BB

Peter