IndiaDivine.org

Demon Duck of DOOM? - Only 2 in stock

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Palaeontologists digging in northern Australia have found fossil evidence of several new species - including a "killer kangaroo". The flesh-eating marsupial would have lived between 10 and 20 million years ago, scientists say. The research team has also unearthed evidence of a large carnivorous bird dubbed the "demon duck of doom". The dig site in Queensland has yielded remains of at least 20 previously unknown creatures. The team from the University of New South Wales made the discoveries in the Riversleigh fossil fields in the north-west of the state. Fanged beasts Professor Mike Archer said the dig had turned up "truly extraordinary material". He said the killer kangaroos would not have been like the creatures of today. "There were meat-eating kangaroos with long fangs, and galloping kangaroos with long forearms, which could not hop," he told The Australian newspaper. Palaeontologist Sue Hand, who also participated in the dig, told Australian radio that other potentially frightening creatures were unearthed. "Very big birds... More like ducks, earned the name demon ducks of doom, some at least may have been carnivorous," she said. The team now plans to study the fossils in detail, to see what more they can learn about the species and what effect changing climate had on their development. Peter H

All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine

Guest guest

Wow - that's interesting. The kanagaroo sounds a little like the animals in The Dark Crystal.

Jo

-

peter VV

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 7:37 PM

Re: Demon Duck of DOOM? - Only 2 in stock

Palaeontologists digging in northern Australia have found fossil evidence of several new species - including a "killer kangaroo".

The flesh-eating marsupial would have lived between 10 and 20 million years ago, scientists say. The research team has also unearthed evidence of a large carnivorous bird dubbed the "demon duck of doom". The dig site in Queensland has yielded remains of at least 20 previously unknown creatures.

The team from the University of New South Wales made the discoveries in the Riversleigh fossil fields in the north-west of the state. Fanged beasts Professor Mike Archer said the dig had turned up "truly extraordinary material". He said the killer kangaroos would not have been like the creatures of today. "There were meat-eating kangaroos with long fangs, and galloping kangaroos with long forearms, which could not hop," he told The Australian newspaper. Palaeontologist Sue Hand, who also participated in the dig, told Australian radio that other potentially frightening creatures were unearthed. "Very big birds... More like ducks, earned the name demon ducks of doom, some at least may have been carnivorous," she said. The team now plans to study the fossils in detail, to see what more they can learn about the species and what effect changing climate had on their development.

Peter H

All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine

Guest guest

if you have a megalania, i'm in!

"NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice. They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no recourse nor protection save to call for the impeachment of the current President."

Guest guest

ah...skeksis!

"come here gelfling!"

jo Jul 12, 2006 3:11 PM Re: Demon Duck of DOOM? - Only 2 in stock

Wow - that's interesting. The kanagaroo sounds a little like the animals in The Dark Crystal.

Jo

-----

Defending this corruption on which you are sat

You tell me what to think, you tell me this and that

`Freedom is O.K. you scum` but make sure it`s never used

In your defence of liberty I always stand accused

Guest guest

Hi Peter

> Demon Duck of DOOM? - Only 2 in stock

Looks like that war between the ducks and squirrells has been going on longer than any of us thought ;-)

BB

Peter

Guest guest

I meant the striders(?) - the animals the gelflings rode like horses. I thought the skeksis and mystics were good too. Some of our rituals sound like the mystics :-)

Jo

-

fraggle

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 9:40 PM

ah...skeksis!

"come here gelfling!"

Jo

-----

Guest guest

Hi Peter

I think the hedgehogs joined in too :-)

BBJo

-

Peter

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 11:23 PM

Hi Peter

> Demon Duck of DOOM? - Only 2 in stock

Looks like that war between the ducks and squirrells has been going on longer than any of us thought ;-)

BB

Peter

Guest guest

ah yes..land striders....

:)

jo Jul 12, 2006 3:33 PM Re: Demon Duck of DOOM? - Only 2 in stock

I meant the striders(?) - the animals the gelflings rode like horses. I thought the skeksis and mystics were good too. Some of our rituals sound like the mystics :-)

Jo

-

fraggle

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 9:40 PM

ah...skeksis!

"come here gelfling!"

Jo

----- Defending this corruption on which you are sat