IndiaDivine.org

does this linguistically scare the pants off anyone else?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

well

here's one from the late 1800's

QUOTATION:

I find nothing healthful or exalting in the smooth conventions of society. I do not like the close air of saloons. I begin to suspect myself to be a prisoner, though treated with all this courtesy and luxury. I pay a destructive tax in my conformity.

ATTRIBUTION:

Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803–1882), U.S. essayist, poet, philosopher. Lecture, March 3, 1884, in Amory Hall, Boston, Massachusetts. “New England Reformers,” Essays, Second Series (1844).

Peter Kebbell Jul 12, 2006 8:39 AM Re: Re: does this scare the pants off anyone else?

Hi Nikki & all

I've been looking around a bit for "healthful" and "healthy". I've discovered that "healthy" was first used in written language in 1552... however, I can't find any reference to "healthful" prior to 1992 - I've looked at various English dictionaries dating from 1532 up to the 1990s, and none of them seem to have it prior to the early 1990s... I'd be intrigued to see if anyone can find any reference to the word earlier than that :-)

BB

Peter

On 12/07/06, earthstrm <earthstorm wrote: If only there were a place to go to in order to find out when andhow words were created.Here is what I found on healthful Dictionary.comhealth·ful adj.Conducive to good health; salutary.Healthy. See Usage Note at healthy.healthful·ly adv.healthful·ness n.Main Entry: health·ful Pronunciation: 'helth-f & lFunction: adjective: beneficial to health of body or mind ?health·ful·ly /-f & -lE/adverb ?health·ful·ness nounhealthfuladj 1: conducive to good health of body or mind; "a healthful climate"; "a healthful environment"; "healthfulnutrition"; "healthful sleep"; "Dickens's relatively healthfulexuberance" [ant: unhealthful] 2: free from filth andpathogens; "sanitary conditions for preparing food"; "a sanitarywashroom" [syn: sanitary] [ant: unsanitary]healthfulhealthful: in CancerWEB's On-line Medical DictionaryAt CancerWEB's On-line Medical Dictionary:http://cancerweb.ncl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/omd?query=healthful & action=Search+OMD1. Full of health; free from illness or disease; well; whole; sound; healthy; as, a healthful body or mind; a healthful plant.2. Serving to promote health of body or mind; wholesome; salubrious;salutary; as, a healthful air, diet. "The healthful Spirit of thygrace." (Book of Common Prayer) 3. Indicating, characterised by, or resulting from, health orsoundness; as, a healthful condition. "A mind . . . Healthful and sowell-proportioned." (Macaulay)4. Well-disposed; favorable. "Gave healthful welcome to their shipwrecked guests." (Shak)Source: Websters DictionaryNikki , "Peter" <metalscarab wrote: >> Hi Peter>> I find it mildly irritating... although not so much asthe "healthful", as the "speeded" is just an error... seems to methat healthful is one of those words that was created by someone being a bit pretentious....>> BB> Peter

Guest guest

oh come on Fraggle, dont encourage him, where will it end? dictioneries at dawn? The Valley Vegan............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: well here's one from the late 1800's QUOTATION: I find nothing healthful or exalting in the smooth conventions of society. I do not like the close air of saloons. I begin to suspect myself to be a prisoner, though treated with all this courtesy and luxury. I pay a destructive tax in my conformity. ATTRIBUTION: Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803–1882), U.S. essayist, poet, philosopher. Lecture, March 3, 1884, in Amory Hall, Boston, Massachusetts. “New England Reformers,” Essays, Second Series (1844). Peter Kebbell Jul 12, 2006 8:39 AM Re: Re: does this scare the pants off anyone else? Hi Nikki & all I've been looking around a bit for "healthful" and "healthy". I've discovered that "healthy" was first used in written language in 1552... however, I can't find any reference to "healthful" prior to 1992 - I've looked at various English dictionaries dating from 1532 up to the 1990s, and none of them seem to have it

prior to the early 1990s... I'd be intrigued to see if anyone can find any reference to the word earlier than that :-) BB Peter On 12/07/06, earthstrm <earthstorm wrote: If only there were a place to go to in order to find out when andhow words were created.Here is what I found on healthful Dictionary.comhealth·ful adj.Conducive to good health; salutary.Healthy. See Usage Note at healthy.healthful·ly adv.healthful·ness n.Main Entry: health·ful Pronunciation: 'helth-f & lFunction: adjective: beneficial to health of body or mind ?health·ful·ly

/-f & -lE/adverb ?health·ful·ness nounhealthfuladj 1: conducive to good health of body or mind; "a healthful climate"; "a healthful environment"; "healthfulnutrition"; "healthful sleep"; "Dickens's relatively healthfulexuberance" [ant: unhealthful] 2: free from filth andpathogens; "sanitary conditions for preparing food"; "a sanitarywashroom" [syn: sanitary] [ant: unsanitary]healthfulhealthful: in CancerWEB's On-line Medical DictionaryAt CancerWEB's On-line Medical Dictionary:http://cancerweb.ncl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/omd?query=healthful & action=Search+OMD1. Full of health; free from illness or disease; well; whole; sound; healthy; as, a healthful body or mind; a healthful plant.2. Serving to promote health of body or mind; wholesome; salubrious;salutary; as, a healthful air, diet. "The healthful Spirit of thygrace."

(Book of Common Prayer) 3. Indicating, characterised by, or resulting from, health orsoundness; as, a healthful condition. "A mind . . . Healthful and sowell-proportioned." (Macaulay)4. Well-disposed; favorable. "Gave healthful welcome to their shipwrecked guests." (Shak)Source: Websters DictionaryNikki , "Peter" <metalscarab wrote: >> Hi Peter>> I find it mildly irritating... although not so much asthe "healthful", as the "speeded" is just an error... seems to methat healthful is one of those words that was created by someone being a bit pretentious....>> BB> Peter

Guest guest

hey, he asked!!

only supplying information

how about dueling pints at dawn instead

peter VV Jul 12, 2006 4:31 PM Re: Re: does this linguistically scare the pants off anyone else?

oh come on Fraggle, dont encourage him, where will it end? dictioneries at dawn?

The Valley Vegan............

Defending this corruption on which you are sat

You tell me what to think, you tell me this and that

`Freedom is O.K. you scum` but make sure it`s never used

In your defence of liberty I always stand accused

Guest guest

I`ve a feeling its best not to go in rounds with you! The Valley Vegan............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: hey, he asked!! only supplying information how about dueling pints at dawn instead peter VV Jul 12, 2006 4:31 PM Re: Re: does this linguistically scare the pants off anyone else? oh come on Fraggle, dont encourage him, where will it end? dictioneries at dawn? The Valley

Vegan............ Defending this corruption on which you are sat You tell me what to think, you tell me this and that `Freedom is O.K. you scum` but make sure it`s never used In your defence of liberty I always stand accusedPeter H

Inbox full of spam? Get leading spam protection and 1GB storage with All New Mail.