IndiaDivine.org

Hong Kong Cafe : Madison Vegan Variant

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

The Vegan Variant: Hong Kong Cafe Submitted by Nicole on Wed, 2006-07-12 09:35. Food | Restaurants | Vegan Variant There really aren't many good Chinese restaurants in Madison... the food is usually bland, incredibly greasy, and hard to find

without fish sauce or beef broth.Hong Kong Cafe is pretty good though. I have only gotten delivery, so I don't know how the restaurant itself is, but the food is enjoyable and the service via delivery has always been very fast. Hong Kong Cafe uses little grease, as is noticeably true through tasting and just looking at the food, as well as is seen on their information page online (www.hkcafemadison.com). Most dishes also do not have MSG in them. I have also been told after questioning when ordering that the vegetarian items are truly vegetarian and do not use fish sauce or beef or chicken broth. Their delivery service is so fast that I actually was not prepared when they brought the food. The fastest I have gotten delivery was probably 15 minutes from them, and they have never taken more than a half hour. We ordered an order of Kung Pao Tofu (or Governor's Tofu), Garlic Broccoli, Vegetarian Soup, and Steamed Vegetable Dumplings. I

have also tried Buddha's Delight and Seasame Tofu..... 1. Kung Pao Tofu - My favorite out of everything I have tried for entrees. Tofu, some vegetables, and peanuts in a sweet and spicy brown sauce. There is more tofu in this than anything else, so if you're looking for something with mostly vegetables, this isn't it. It is extremely satisfying and filling. The sauce is thick, not too salty, and has the perfect amount of spice where you notice it, but it is not overpowering. The tofu feels like it was actually pressed: it seems a lot firmer even after frying than other restaurants' tofu that I have tried. This is good, because then it does not taste like airy gristle (if this doesn't make sense, it means tough, lumpy tofu with a lot of air pockets that half falls apart in your mouth after chewing, and half needs to just be massacred to be digsted). The peanuts are a nice touch and add a good variation in texture. 2. Garlic Broccoli - Broccoli,

carrots, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, and mushrooms in a garlic brown sauce. I like this one a lot because it is full of filling vegetables, mostly broccoli of course, and the sauce is gentle and mild, but still flavorful and not bland. My boyfriend said that it tasted too garlic-y and it was overpowering for him, but I dind't think so at all. 3. Buddha's Delight - Tofu, broccoli, carrots, baby corn, water chestnuts, mushrooms, peapods, and bamboo shoots in a white gluten sauce. This dish was just kind of mediocre. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't all that exciting, either. The baby corn and chestnuts tasted a little can-ny. Not my favorite, but okay. 4. Seasame Tofu - Tofu, broccoli, carrots, peas, and some other veggies in a sweet, brown seasame sauce. This one is fairly similar to the Kung Pao Tofu in taste and description, however, I do like the Kung Pao better. The seasame flavor is obviously where the difference comes in, and it is very good,

however, I think the Kung Pao has a more distinctive and satisfying flavor. 5. Vegetarian Soup - Vegetable broth with peapods, carrots, onions, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, and baby corn.... and tomatoes?? Yes, there are tomatoes in this soup... just big pieces of tomato... I don't get it. I just scooped them out and put them aside. The soup, otherwise, is fine, but extremely salty. It's nothing too exciting. 6. Steamed Vegetable Dumplings - You can get the dumplings steamed or fried, but I went with steamed to make the healthier choice. Frankly, I didn't miss the frying-that-I-could-have-had at all. These were very delicate, yet still a satisfying, chewy texture, with a substantial vegetable/tofu mixture inside. They come with a seasame dipping sauce and are seriously great. If they were bigger, I would probably make more of my order consist of these. Skipping the grease makes them light and filling, instead of greasy and heavy and too filling.

I have not tried their fried ones, so I cannot say for sure, but I prefer steamed in general. Hong Kong Cafe is a little pricier than your average Chinese restaurant, but the quality of the food is worth the extra few bucks. Better quality, less grease and msg, and good service. If you have additional health concerns, they seem willing to help you with what you need, and there is also a health food section on the menu, which offers steamed dishes with sauce on the side. There is also a lunch menu available until 3pm with smaller portions. All their locations and phone numbers: http://www.hkcafemadison.com/contactus.phpThe menu is also online.Cash, check, or charge accepted.Alchohol served.Madison, Wis.53703Peter H

All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine

Guest guest

you've got some sort of thing fer madison wisconsin don't you!

:)

"NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice. They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no recourse nor protection save to call for the impeachment of the current President."

Guest guest

what is the origin of the name wisconsin? Are there any vegans there? The Valley Vegan............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: you've got some sort of thing fer madison wisconsin don't you! :) "NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National

Security Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice. They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no recourse nor protection save to call for the impeachment of the current President."Peter H

Copy addresses and emails from any email account to Mail - quick, easy and free. Do it now...

Guest guest

its a bastardization/anglicazation of a first nations word...

peter VV Jul 13, 2006 11:51 AM Re: Hong Kong Cafe : Madison Vegan Variant

what is the origin of the name wisconsin?

Are there any vegans there?

The Valley Vegan............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

"NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National

Security Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice. They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no recourse nor protection save to call for the impeachment of the current President."

Peter H

Copy addresses and emails from any email account to Mail - quick, easy and free. Do it now...

Defending this corruption on which you are sat

You tell me what to think, you tell me this and that

`Freedom is O.K. you scum` but make sure it`s never used

In your defence of liberty I always stand accused

Guest guest

what word? The Valley Vegan.............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: its a bastardization/anglicazation of a first nations word... peter VV Jul 13, 2006 11:51 AM Re: Hong Kong Cafe : Madison Vegan Variant what is the origin of the name wisconsin? Are there any vegans there? The Valley Vegan............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: you've got some sort of thing fer madison wisconsin don't you! :) "NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice. They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no recourse nor protection save to call for the impeachment of the current President." Peter H Copy addresses and emails from any email account to Mail - quick, easy and free. Do it now... Defending this corruption on which you are sat You tell me what to think, you tell me this and that `Freedom is O.K. you scum` but make sure it`s never used In your defence of liberty I always stand accusedPeter H

All New Mail – Tired of Vi@gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you.

Guest guest

heck if i know

now i'm gonna have to look it up

sorry..i don't speak algonquin er chippewa....

peter VV Jul 14, 2006 1:28 PM Re: Hong Kong Cafe : Madison Vegan Variant

what word?

The Valley Vegan.............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

its a bastardization/anglicazation of a first nations word...

peter VV Jul 13, 2006 11:51 AM Re: Hong Kong Cafe : Madison Vegan Variant

what is the origin of the name wisconsin?

Are there any vegans there?

The Valley Vegan............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

"NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice. They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no recourse nor protection save to call for the impeachment of the current President."

Peter H

Copy addresses and emails from any email account to Mail - quick, easy and free. Do it now... Defending this corruption on which you are sat You tell me what to think, you tell me this and that `Freedom is O.K. you scum` but make sure it`s never used In your defence of liberty I always stand accused

Peter H

All New Mail Tired of Vi@gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you.

Defending this corruption on which you are sat

You tell me what to think, you tell me this and that

`Freedom is O.K. you scum` but make sure it`s never used

In your defence of liberty I always stand accused