IndiaDivine.org

At last.... :-)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Speaking as someone who cycles and walks around Bristol, it's about time the police started doing something about the cyclists who are a danger to themselves and others! :-)

BB

Peter

Cyclist condemns red light fine

A Bristol cyclist is condemning a decision to prosecute him for riding through a red light early in the morning, as a waste of public money. Chris Adams was issued with a fixed penalty notice by a police officer near Queens Road last December. He appealed against the fine, but says magistrates went ahead with the case, which involved three costly hearings. A police spokesman said officers have to respond if they see an offence being committed in front of them. Inspector Mike Cox said: " Cyclists have a responsibility to the Road Traffic Act. " We don't go out to target them, but if it happens in front of us, we have to deal with it. "

We're living in a world where it's imperative to get people out of their cars and this sort of thing doesn't encourage people onto their bikes

Chris Adams, cyclist

He added: " Other members of the public will feel we were right to do this. " He admitted that police have a range of options when dealing with an offence, but said the officer in this case felt it was necessary to issue a fine. But Mr Adams, who was ordered to pay £30 with £100 costs, said: " It was 5.55am, I was surprised when the police stopped me, I was the only traffic on the road. " Not only is it a waste of time and money on both sides, there is another important issue. " We're living in a world where it's imperative to get people out of their cars and this sort of thing doesn't encourage people onto their bikes. "

Guest guest

Hi Peter

Hi Peter/Peter

I think it's a good idea. Why should cyclists not obey the simple rules that are there to protect everyone.

It always makes me laugh that people put up with all sorts of major injustice in this world - things they could rebel against, and yet the only rules they rebel against are the simple ones that actually help people. Doh!

Jo

-

Peter Kebbell

Friday, July 14, 2006 10:32 AM

At last.... :-)

Speaking as someone who cycles and walks around Bristol, it's about time the police started doing something about the cyclists who are a danger to themselves and others! :-)

BB

Peter

Cyclist condemns red light fine

A Bristol cyclist is condemning a decision to prosecute him for riding through a red light early in the morning, as a waste of public money. Chris Adams was issued with a fixed penalty notice by a police officer near Queens Road last December. He appealed against the fine, but says magistrates went ahead with the case, which involved three costly hearings. A police spokesman said officers have to respond if they see an offence being committed in front of them. Inspector Mike Cox said: "Cyclists have a responsibility to the Road Traffic Act. "We don't go out to target them, but if it happens in front of us, we have to deal with it."

We're living in a world where it's imperative to get people out of their cars and this sort of thing doesn't encourage people onto their bikes

Chris Adams, cyclist

He added: "Other members of the public will feel we were right to do this." He admitted that police have a range of options when dealing with an offence, but said the officer in this case felt it was necessary to issue a fine. But Mr Adams, who was ordered to pay £30 with £100 costs, said: "It was 5.55am, I was surprised when the police stopped me, I was the only traffic on the road. "Not only is it a waste of time and money on both sides, there is another important issue. "We're living in a world where it's imperative to get people out of their cars and this sort of thing doesn't encourage people onto their bikes."

Guest guest

Hi Peter

LOL - I was having trouble answering your email. I couldn't get it to write above your's so I wrote it below and pasted - must have left a 'Peter' in the wrong place.

BBJo

-

Peter Kebbell

Friday, July 14, 2006 11:01 AM

Re: At last.... :-)

Hi Jo / Jo / Jo

Hi Peter

Hi Peter/Peter

Hey - there seem to be three of me ;-)

BB

Peter

Guest guest

I agree, however, you have to be nuts to cycle round some places especially in cities, you are guranteed to have an accident...........buses and taxi drivers seem to consider them fair game! Maybe we could do with more cycle lanes/tracks?..although I doubt that you would keep other traffic/pedestrianns out of them. The Valley Vegan...............jo <jo.heartwork wrote: Hi Peter Hi Peter/Peter I think it's a good idea. Why should cyclists not obey the simple rules that are there to protect everyone. It always makes me laugh that people put up with all sorts of major injustice in this world - things they could rebel against, and yet the only rules they rebel against are the simple ones that actually help people. Doh! Jo - Peter Kebbell Friday, July 14, 2006 10:32 AM At last.... :-) Speaking as someone who cycles and walks around Bristol, it's about time the police started doing something about the cyclists who are a danger to themselves and others! :-) BB Peter Cyclist condemns red light fine A Bristol cyclist is condemning a decision to prosecute him for riding through a red light early in the morning, as a waste of public

money. Chris Adams was issued with a fixed penalty notice by a police officer near Queens Road last December. He appealed against the fine, but says magistrates went ahead with the case, which involved three costly hearings. A police spokesman said officers have to respond if they see an offence being committed in front of them. Inspector Mike Cox said: "Cyclists have a responsibility to the Road Traffic Act. "We don't go out to target them, but if it happens in front of us, we have to deal with it." We're living in a world where it's imperative to get people out of their cars and

this sort of thing doesn't encourage people onto their bikes Chris Adams, cyclist He added: "Other members of the public will feel we were right to do this." He admitted that police have a range of options when dealing with an offence, but said the officer in this case felt it was necessary to issue a fine. But Mr Adams, who was ordered to pay £30 with £100 costs, said: "It was 5.55am, I was surprised when the police stopped me, I was the only traffic on the road. "Not only is it a waste of time and money on both sides, there is another important issue. "We're living in a world where it's imperative to get people out of their cars and this sort of thing doesn't encourage people onto their bikes." Peter H

Try the all-new Mail . "The New Version is radically easier to use" – The Wall Street Journal

Guest guest

Hi Peter

>I agree, however, you have to be nuts to cycle round some places especially in cities, you are guranteed to have an

> accident...........buses and taxi drivers seem to consider them fair game!

>Maybe we could do with more cycle lanes/tracks?..although I doubt that you would keep other traffic/pedestrianns out of

> them.

I agree. In Bristol the buses are the most dangerous - they really don't take any notice of cyclists at all. Cars are mostly pretty good with cyclists, and I've never particularly noticed taxis - but buses could really do with something done about them. As for pedestrians - quite a lot of them are idiots.... I've had three very close calls with pedestrians stepping out into cycle lanes right in front of me. And just to clarify, I am a safe cyclist - I do stop at red lights and zebra crossings, and don't cycle on the pavement!

BB

Peter

Guest guest

zebra crossing?

they have zebras in bristol?

damn...global warming was worse then i thought

Peter Jul 14, 2006 2:24 PM Re: At last.... :-)

Hi Peter

>I agree, however, you have to be nuts to cycle round some places especially in cities, you are guranteed to have an

> accident...........buses and taxi drivers seem to consider them fair game!

>Maybe we could do with more cycle lanes/tracks?..although I doubt that you would keep other traffic/pedestrianns out of

> them.

I agree. In Bristol the buses are the most dangerous - they really don't take any notice of cyclists at all. Cars are mostly pretty good with cyclists, and I've never particularly noticed taxis - but buses could really do with something done about them. As for pedestrians - quite a lot of them are idiots.... I've had three very close calls with pedestrians stepping out into cycle lanes right in front of me. And just to clarify, I am a safe cyclist - I do stop at red lights and zebra crossings, and don't cycle on the pavement!

BB

Peter

Defending this corruption on which you are sat

You tell me what to think, you tell me this and that

`Freedom is O.K. you scum` but make sure it`s never used

In your defence of liberty I always stand accused