IndiaDivine.org

Truffles ????

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Does anyone know what truffles look like?

In our garden these fungi grow every year. They are whitish, like

mushrooms, about the same size as button mushrooms. Inside the white skin

it is black and they are quite hard. They smell a bit like mushrooms but

moreso, and the smell is very strong.

Jo

Guest guest

I wouldnt advise you eat any fungi unless you are absolutely sure what you are doing, there are hundreds of different mushrooms and toadstools which are simular in appearence , but some are poisonous. truffles usually grow underground not overground as normal mushrooms do. Tuber aestivum (var uncinatum): the English truffle is roundish in shaped covered with coarse polygonal warts, black in colour outside and brownish and veined with white within; its average size is about that of a small apple. It grows from July till autumn or winter; and prefers beech, oak and birch woods on argillaceous or calcareous soil and has sometimes been observed in pine woods. It grows gregariously, often in company with Tuber brumale and in France and Italy. Tuber brumale: referred to above, grown in Britain. It is a winter truffle and is found chiefly under oaks and abele trees from October to December. It is black in colour,

globose, more or less regular in shape and is covered with sharp polygonal warts: the mature flesh is blackish grey marbled with white veins. The odour is very strong and lasts a long time: the taste is generally esteemed Edible mushrooms are either Saprobes which grow on dead matter, Parasites which grow on living plants or - as is the case with truffles - Mycorrhizal which establish a symbiotic relationship with the roots of suitable host trees. The Valley Vegan..............jo <jo.heartwork wrote: Does anyone know what truffles look like?In our garden these fungi grow every year. They are whitish, likemushrooms, about the same size as button mushrooms. Inside the white skinit is black and they are quite hard. They smell a bit like mushrooms

butmoreso, and the smell is very strong.Jo

Guest guest

Hi Peter

I wouldn't eat any fungi from the wild. I know there are many poisonous ones. It sounds as though it is definitely not a truffle. Thanks for the info.

Jo

-

peter VV

Saturday, July 15, 2006 5:25 PM

Re: Truffles ????

I wouldnt advise you eat any fungi unless you are absolutely sure what you are doing, there are hundreds of different mushrooms and toadstools which are simular in appearence , but some are poisonous.

truffles usually grow underground not overground as normal mushrooms do.

Tuber aestivum (var uncinatum): the English truffle is roundish in shaped covered with coarse polygonal warts, black in colour outside and brownish and veined with white within; its average size is about that of a small apple. It grows from July till autumn or winter; and prefers beech, oak and birch woods on argillaceous or calcareous soil and has sometimes been observed in pine woods. It grows gregariously, often in company with Tuber brumale and in France and Italy.

Tuber brumale: referred to above, grown in Britain. It is a winter truffle and is found chiefly under oaks and abele trees from October to December. It is black in colour, globose, more or less regular in shape and is covered with sharp polygonal warts: the mature flesh is blackish grey marbled with white veins. The odour is very strong and lasts a long time: the taste is generally esteemed

Edible mushrooms are either Saprobes which grow on dead matter, Parasites which grow on living plants or - as is the case with truffles - Mycorrhizal which establish a symbiotic relationship with the roots of suitable host trees.

The Valley Vegan..............jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

Does anyone know what truffles look like?In our garden these fungi grow every year. They are whitish, likemushrooms, about the same size as button mushrooms. Inside the white skinit is black and they are quite hard. They smell a bit like mushrooms butmoreso, and the smell is very strong.Jo

Guest guest

truffles form underground, and are sorta like warty tubers in shape....like

lumpy walnuts almost...

>jo <jo.heartwork

>Jul 15, 2006 5:26 AM

>

> Truffles ????

>

>Does anyone know what truffles look like?

>

>In our garden these fungi grow every year. They are whitish, like

>mushrooms, about the same size as button mushrooms. Inside the white skin

>it is black and they are quite hard. They smell a bit like mushrooms but

>moreso, and the smell is very strong.

>

>Jo

>

>

>

>

>To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Truffles/OregonTruffles.htm

>jo <jo.heartwork

>Jul 15, 2006 5:26 AM

>

> Truffles ????

>

>Does anyone know what truffles look like?

>

>In our garden these fungi grow every year. They are whitish, like

>mushrooms, about the same size as button mushrooms. Inside the white skin

>it is black and they are quite hard. They smell a bit like mushrooms but

>moreso, and the smell is very strong.

>

>Jo

>

>

>

>

>To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

does it have a stem, or is it round/globish?

Defending this corruption on which you are sat

You tell me what to think, you tell me this and that

`Freedom is O.K. you scum` but make sure it`s never used

In your defence of liberty I always stand accused

Guest guest

Thanks Fraggle

Ours definitely are not truffles.

Jo

-

" fraggle " <EBbrewpunx

Sunday, July 16, 2006 7:05 PM

> truffles form underground, and are sorta like warty tubers in

shape....like lumpy walnuts almost...

>

>

> >jo <jo.heartwork

> >Jul 15, 2006 5:26 AM

> >

> > Truffles ????

> >

> >Does anyone know what truffles look like?

> >

> >In our garden these fungi grow every year. They are whitish, like

> >mushrooms, about the same size as button mushrooms. Inside the white

skin

> >it is black and they are quite hard. They smell a bit like mushrooms but

> >moreso, and the smell is very strong.

> >

> >Jo

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >To send an email to -

> >

Guest guest

sounds like puffballs

jo Jul 16, 2006 1:20 PM Re: Truffles ????

It doesn't have a stem as far as I can see.

Jo

-

fraggle

Sunday, July 16, 2006 7:11 PM

does it have a stem, or is it round/globish?Defending this corruption on which you are sat

Defending this corruption on which you are sat

Guest guest

I agree, some are edible, but you have to eat them when they are immature ( before they puff up and explode!) The Valley Vegan..................fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: sounds like puffballs jo Jul 16, 2006 1:20 PM Re: Truffles ???? It doesn't have a

stem as far as I can see. Jo - fraggle Sunday, July 16, 2006 7:11 PM Re: Truffles ???? does it have a stem, or is it round/globish?Defending this corruption on

which you are sat You tell me what to think, you tell me this and that `Freedom is O.K. you scum` but make sure it`s never used In your defence of liberty I always stand accused Defending this corruption on which you are sat You tell me what to think, you tell me this and that `Freedom is O.K. you scum` but make

sure it`s never used In your defence of liberty I always stand accusedPeter H

Inbox full of spam? Get leading spam protection and 1GB storage with All New Mail.

Guest guest

:-[ I must admit I don't fancy eating much in the way of fungi. I like mushrooms and oyster mushrooms but that's about it.

Jo

-

peter VV

Monday, July 17, 2006 8:27 PM

I agree, some are edible, but you have to eat them when they are immature ( before they puff up and explode!)

The Valley Vegan..................fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

sounds like puffballs

jo Jul 16, 2006 1:20 PM Re: Truffles ????

It doesn't have a stem as far as I can see.

Jo

-

fraggle

Sunday, July 16, 2006 7:11 PM

does it have a stem, or is it round/globish?Defending this corruption on

which you are sat You tell me what to think, you tell me this and that `Freedom is O.K. you scum` but make sure it`s never used In your defence of liberty I always stand accused Defending this corruption on which you are sat You tell me what to think, you tell me this and that `Freedom is O.K. you scum` but make

sure it`s never used In your defence of liberty I always stand accused

Peter H

Inbox full of spam? Get leading spam protection and 1GB storage with All New Mail.

Guest guest

i love mushrooms!!!!!

at the farmers market we got organic shitake, maitake and baby bellas on saturday...

num num....

already grilled up the baby portabellas yesterday....

jo Jul 17, 2006 1:30 PM Re: Truffles ????

:-[ I must admit I don't fancy eating much in the way of fungi. I like mushrooms and oyster mushrooms but that's about it.

Jo

"NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice. They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no recourse nor protection save to call for the impeachment of the current President."