IndiaDivine.org

Masked saboteurs unleash violent attack on anglers

Rate this topic

Guest guest

The Times August 19, 2006 Masked saboteurs unleash violent attack on anglersBy Steve Bird A GANG of masked hunt saboteurs wielding baseball bats smashed up rods, damaged cars and started fights in an unprovoked attack on a group of anglers. The anti-bloodsports campaigners are

believed to have targeted the fly-fishermen after failing to find many grouse-shooting parties to disrupt in the North West of England. The gang emerged from woodland near Bank House Fly Fishery at Caton, near Lancaster. About 30 men carrying baseball bats and blocks of wood descended on the lake shouting “Sabs” before smashing the anglers’ rods, damaging nearby cars and starting fights. Two fishermen were assaulted and a woman was punched in the face. Lucy Belson, 36, a nurse, who was fishing at the time, said that the gang had threatened to push her in the water unless she fled. She said: “I was enjoying a peaceful day’s fishing when this gang suddenly arrived. They began throwing stones and one of them said:

‘Its the easy way or the hard way. You have been sabbed.’ “They told me to get out or I would end up getting wet. It was a clear threat. Then a fight broke out on the lakeside between the gang and some anglers. I decided to get out of the place but they then ran towards me jostling me and waving baseball bats. They were shouting: ‘Get her,’ and they smashed my rod.” Ms Belson, from Kirkby Lonsdale, said that the saboteurs would not stop her fishing: “I was shaken at the time but am now very angry. They are cowards but they will not frighten me. I will go back to the lake.” Police believe that the saboteurs moved to the lake last weekend after disrupting a grouse shoot at Lowgill, Cumbria. It is thought that they then travelled to Abbeystead estate, where the Duke of Westminster entertains members of the Royal Family at the start of the shooting season. Because of the low numbers of birds on the Duke’s moorland the gang would have moved on, because

there was no shooting party. A police spokesman said: “This is a disturbing new trend, attacking people as they fish. Obviously we are looking at the criminal damage element. Fly rods can cost up to £4,000.” Tom Fell, the regional director of the Countryside Alliance, said: “We have been warning anglers that their sport was under a very real threat. These people will stop at nothing to achieve their ends.” North West Hunt Saboteurs said last year that it would start targeting fishing groups by disrupting angling competitions. At coarse fishing competitions, where the fish are thrown back into the water alive, the saboteurs are urged to erect ‘match cancelled’ signs, wire up gates, blow whistles and splash in the water to scare off the fish.Peter H

All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine

I don't believe they were real sabs. I have never heard any sabs threaten violence - it is usually the other way round - sabs being threatened and beaten up. There must be an agenda somewhere here. I know that people are worried that now hunting with dogs is illegal animal activists will turn their attention, quite rightly, towards fishing, but I reckon this is a group of anglers/hunters pretending to be sabs.

Jo

-

peter VV

Sunday, August 20, 2006 9:05 AM

Re: Masked saboteurs unleash violent attack on anglers

The Times

August 19, 2006

Masked saboteurs unleash violent attack on anglersBy Steve Bird

A GANG of masked hunt saboteurs wielding baseball bats smashed up rods, damaged cars and started fights in an unprovoked attack on a group of anglers. The anti-bloodsports campaigners are believed to have targeted the fly-fishermen after failing to find many grouse-shooting parties to disrupt in the North West of England.

The gang emerged from woodland near Bank House Fly Fishery at Caton, near Lancaster. About 30 men carrying baseball bats and blocks of wood descended on the lake shouting “Sabs” before smashing the anglers’ rods, damaging nearby cars and starting fights. Two fishermen were assaulted and a woman was punched in the face. Lucy Belson, 36, a nurse, who was fishing at the time, said that the gang had threatened to push her in the water unless she fled. She said: “I was enjoying a peaceful day’s fishing when this gang suddenly arrived. They began throwing stones and one of them said: ‘Its the easy way or the hard way. You have been sabbed.’ “They told me to get out or I would end up getting wet. It was a clear threat. Then a fight broke out on the lakeside between the gang and some anglers. I decided to get out of the place but they then ran towards me jostling me and waving baseball bats. They were shouting: ‘Get her,’ and they smashed my rod.” Ms Belson, from Kirkby Lonsdale, said that the saboteurs would not stop her fishing: “I was shaken at the time but am now very angry. They are cowards but they will not frighten me. I will go back to the lake.” Police believe that the saboteurs moved to the lake last weekend after disrupting a grouse shoot at Lowgill, Cumbria. It is thought that they then travelled to Abbeystead estate, where the Duke of Westminster entertains members of the Royal Family at the start of the shooting season. Because of the low numbers of birds on the Duke’s moorland the gang would have moved on, because there was no shooting party. A police spokesman said: “This is a disturbing new trend, attacking people as they fish. Obviously we are looking at the criminal damage element. Fly rods can cost up to £4,000.” Tom Fell, the regional director of the Countryside Alliance, said: “We have been warning anglers that their sport was under a very real threat. These people will stop at nothing to achieve their ends.” North West Hunt Saboteurs said last year that it would start targeting fishing groups by disrupting angling competitions. At coarse fishing competitions, where the fish are thrown back into the water alive, the saboteurs are urged to erect ‘match cancelled’ signs, wire up gates, blow whistles and splash in the water to scare off the fish.

Peter H

All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine

You could be right, more bad publicity for animal rights, just more fuel for future laws........... The Valley Vegan................jo <jo.heartwork wrote: I don't believe they were real sabs. I have never heard any sabs threaten violence - it is usually the other way round - sabs being threatened and beaten up. There must be an agenda somewhere here. I know that people are worried that now hunting with dogs is illegal animal activists will turn their attention, quite rightly, towards fishing, but I reckon this is a group of anglers/hunters pretending to be sabs. Jo - peter VV Sunday, August 20, 2006 9:05 AM Re: Masked saboteurs unleash violent attack on anglers The Times August 19, 2006 Masked saboteurs unleash violent attack on anglersBy Steve Bird A GANG of masked hunt saboteurs wielding baseball bats smashed up rods, damaged cars and started fights in an unprovoked attack on a group of anglers. The anti-bloodsports campaigners are believed to have targeted the fly-fishermen after failing to find many grouse-shooting parties to disrupt in the North West of England. The gang emerged from woodland near Bank House Fly Fishery at Caton, near Lancaster. About 30 men carrying baseball bats and blocks of wood descended on the lake shouting “Sabs” before smashing the anglers’ rods, damaging nearby cars and starting fights. Two fishermen were assaulted and a woman was punched in the face. Lucy Belson, 36, a nurse, who was fishing at the time, said that the gang had threatened to push her in the water unless she fled. She said: “I was enjoying a peaceful day’s fishing when this gang suddenly arrived. They began throwing stones and one of them said: ‘Its the easy way or the hard way. You have been sabbed.’ “They told me to get out or I would end up getting wet. It was a clear threat. Then a fight broke out on the lakeside between the gang and some anglers. I decided to get out of the

place but they then ran towards me jostling me and waving baseball bats. They were shouting: ‘Get her,’ and they smashed my rod.” Ms Belson, from Kirkby Lonsdale, said that the saboteurs would not stop her fishing: “I was shaken at the time but am now very angry. They are cowards but they will not frighten me. I will go back to the lake.” Police believe that the saboteurs moved to the lake last weekend after disrupting a grouse shoot at Lowgill, Cumbria. It is thought that they then travelled to Abbeystead estate, where the Duke of Westminster entertains members of the Royal Family at the start of the shooting season. Because of the low numbers of birds on the Duke’s moorland the gang would have moved on, because there was no shooting party. A police spokesman said: “This is a disturbing new trend, attacking people as they fish. Obviously we are looking at the criminal damage element. Fly rods can cost up to £4,000.” Tom Fell, the regional

director of the Countryside Alliance, said: “We have been warning anglers that their sport was under a very real threat. These people will stop at nothing to achieve their ends.” North West Hunt Saboteurs said last year that it would start targeting fishing groups by disrupting angling competitions. At coarse fishing competitions, where the fish are thrown back into the water alive, the saboteurs are urged to erect ‘match cancelled’ signs, wire up gates, blow whistles and splash in the water to scare off the fish. Peter H All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine Peter H

The all-new Mail goes wherever you go - free your email address from your Internet provider.

it was al queda....

maybe they can put "famous welsh fly fishing locations" on a list of possible terrorist attack locations..and then get funds from US Homeland Security...

like the petting zoo in alabama

peter VV Aug 20, 2006 10:40 AM Re: Masked saboteurs unleash violent attack on anglers

You could be right, more bad publicity for animal rights, just more fuel for future laws...........

The Valley Vegan................jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

I don't believe they were real sabs. I have never heard any sabs threaten violence - it is usually the other way round - sabs being threatened and beaten up. There must be an agenda somewhere here. I know that people are worried that now hunting with dogs is illegal animal activists will turn their attention, quite rightly, towards fishing, but I reckon this is a group of anglers/hunters pretending to be sabs.

Jo

-

peter VV

Sunday, August 20, 2006 9:05 AM

Re: Masked saboteurs unleash violent attack on anglers

The Times

August 19, 2006

Masked saboteurs unleash violent attack on anglersBy Steve Bird

A GANG of masked hunt saboteurs wielding baseball bats smashed up rods, damaged cars and started fights in an unprovoked attack on a group of anglers. The anti-bloodsports campaigners are believed to have targeted the fly-fishermen after failing to find many grouse-shooting parties to disrupt in the North West of England.

NI_MPU('middle'); The gang emerged from woodland near Bank House Fly Fishery at Caton, near Lancaster. About 30 men carrying baseball bats and blocks of wood descended on the lake shouting Sabs before smashing the anglers rods, damaging nearby cars and starting fights. Two fishermen were assaulted and a woman was punched in the face. Lucy Belson, 36, a nurse, who was fishing at the time, said that the gang had threatened to push her in the water unless she fled. She said: I was enjoying a peaceful days fishing when this gang suddenly arrived. They began throwing stones and one of them said: Its the easy way or the hard way. You have been sabbed. They told me to get out or I would end up getting wet. It was a clear threat. Then a fight broke out on the lakeside between the gang and some anglers. I decided to get out of the place but they then ran towards me jostling me and waving baseball bats. They were shouting: Get her, and they smashed my rod. Ms Belson, from Kirkby Lonsdale, said that the saboteurs would not stop her fishing: I was shaken at the time but am now very angry. They are cowards but they will not frighten me. I will go back to the lake. Police believe that the saboteurs moved to the lake last weekend after disrupting a grouse shoot at Lowgill, Cumbria. It is thought that they then travelled to Abbeystead estate, where the Duke of Westminster entertains members of the Royal Family at the start of the shooting season. Because of the low numbers of birds on the Dukes moorland the gang would have moved on, because there was no shooting party. A police spokesman said: This is a disturbing new trend, attacking people as they fish. Obviously we are looking at the criminal damage element. Fly rods can cost up to £4,000. Tom Fell, the regional director of the Countryside Alliance, said: We have been warning anglers that their sport was under a very real threat. These people will stop at nothing to achieve their ends. North West Hunt Saboteurs said last year that it would start targeting fishing groups by disrupting angling competitions. At coarse fishing competitions, where the fish are thrown back into the water alive, the saboteurs are urged to erect match cancelled signs, wire up gates, blow whistles and splash in the water to scare off the fish.

Peter H

Peter H

The all-new Mail goes wherever you go - free your email address from your Internet provider.

If George Bush said that the Earth was flat, the headline would read, "Views Differ on Shape of the Earth"