IndiaDivine.org

Fishermen fear action by animal rights extremists

Rate this topic

Guest guest

THE activities of the Lobster Liberation Front may sound like a comedy sketch item. However, a fervent defence of the lives of fish and sealife is behind a sinister development in the animal rights movement. Fishermen fear that they are the latest target of extremists prepared to use violent tactics to disrupt their sport. A group of anglers was attacked last week by hunt saboteurs, and fish farms have been vandalised and damaged recently. Now the national umbrella organisation for fishing is demanding a meeting with the Home Office to discuss the safety of anglers. Jim Glasspool, the chairman of the Fisheries and Angling Conservation Trust, said that it wanted to “ensure all steps are taken to protect innocent anglers from further attacks”. Users of internet fishing blogs are encouraging each other to contact their local police forces to demand what is being done to protect anglers. The change of ploy by activists coincides with an apparent

decrease in the number of threats and acts of intimidation against those involved in animal testing. Yet saboteurs have been encouraged by the hunting ban and some anglers fear that they have become a new target because of it. A bankside attack last week on fly-fishermen and women near Lancaster was blamed on hunt saboteurs who had failed to find any grouse-shooting parties. A group of 30 men armed with bats smashed up rods, threw stones, damaged cars and started fights. Two anglers were assaulted and a woman was punched in the face. Other individuals, businesses and matches have been targeted. A posting on the Animal Liberation Front (ALF) website in March was headlined “trout abusers sabotaged”. Activists broke into Newmill Trout and Deer Farm near Lanark, threw goods from the farm shop into a lake, cut brake cables on vehicles and slashed their tyres. In the same month 60 lobster pots were dismantled in Scotland while slogans were spray-painted on

fishermen’s sheds. The Lobster Liberation Front (LLF) claimed responsibility. Members of the LLF also slashed nets belonging to a fisherman in Dorset and draped them across his boats. Animal rights saboteurs were blamed for releasing 50,000 farmed fish into a reservoir in Kent this year. A spokesman for the National Federation of Anglers said that last week’s animal rights attack on fishermen was not the first. He said: “Police have to clamp down on this. Anglers need to feel that they have the support of the authorities and are safe when they go fishing.” On its website, the North West Hunt Saboteurs Association suggests that members read Angling Times to discover the location of popular venues and club meets. Forms of disruption it advocates include wiring up access gates, changing around anglers’ peg numbers, putting up “match cancelled” notices, rowing up and down the river, and using poles to lift fishing lines from the water. Fished from the angler's blogs “I said this would bloody well happen! I said they would bloody well come after me once they did for fox hunting! Bloody sabs!” “Perhaps the sabs are too stupid to have worked out that this is a battle that they will not win” “Angling should have a code of conduct in dealing with these people. I would be interested in a proper, lawful defence” “These people are fundamentalists. You cannot reason with them” “The day I have to give up fishing because the lobbyists have somehow succeeded in getting it banned is the day I declare war on my countrymen” “The best defence is to have a united angling alliance. We need to portray and upkeep an image of guardians of the countryside and the environment”Peter H

Now you can scan emails quickly with a reading pane. Get the new Mail.

i did not read that article,

just the title,

but I hope that someday..

people that kill animals for food

will be called extremists

I hope in my lifetime.

, peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

>

> THE activities of the Lobster Liberation Front may sound like a

comedy sketch item. However, a fervent defence of the lives of fish

and sealife is behind a sinister development in the animal rights

movement. Fishermen fear that they are the latest target of extremists

prepared to use violent tactics to disrupt their sport. A group of

anglers was attacked last week by hunt saboteurs, and fish farms have

been vandalised and damaged recently. Now the national umbrella

organisation for fishing is demanding a meeting with the Home Office

to discuss the safety of anglers. Jim Glasspool, the chairman of the

Fisheries and Angling Conservation Trust, said that it wanted to

" ensure all steps are taken to protect innocent anglers from further

attacks " . Users of internet fishing blogs are encouraging each other

to contact their local police forces to demand what is being done to

protect anglers. The change of ploy by activists coincides with an

apparent decrease in the number

> of threats and acts of intimidation against those involved in

animal testing. Yet saboteurs have been encouraged by the hunting ban

and some anglers fear that they have become a new target because of

it. A bankside attack last week on fly-fishermen and women near

Lancaster was blamed on hunt saboteurs who had failed to find any

grouse-shooting parties. A group of 30 men armed with bats smashed up

rods, threw stones, damaged cars and started fights. Two anglers were

assaulted and a woman was punched in the face. Other individuals,

businesses and matches have been targeted. A posting on the Animal

Liberation Front (ALF) website in March was headlined " trout abusers

sabotaged " . Activists broke into Newmill Trout and Deer Farm near

Lanark, threw goods from the farm shop into a lake, cut brake cables

on vehicles and slashed their tyres. In the same month 60 lobster

pots were dismantled in Scotland while slogans were spray-painted on

fishermen's sheds. The Lobster

> Liberation Front (LLF) claimed responsibility. Members of the LLF

also slashed nets belonging to a fisherman in Dorset and draped them

across his boats. Animal rights saboteurs were blamed for releasing

50,000 farmed fish into a reservoir in Kent this year. A spokesman

for the National Federation of Anglers said that last week's animal

rights attack on fishermen was not the first. He said: " Police have to

clamp down on this. Anglers need to feel that they have the support of

the authorities and are safe when they go fishing. " On its website,

the North West Hunt Saboteurs Association suggests that members read

Angling Times to discover the location of popular venues and club

meets. Forms of disruption it advocates include wiring up access

gates, changing around anglers' peg numbers, putting up " match

cancelled " notices, rowing up and down the river, and using poles to

lift fishing lines from the water.

> Fished from the angler's blogs

>

> " I said this would bloody well happen! I said they would bloody well

come after me once they did for fox hunting! Bloody sabs! "

>

> " Perhaps the sabs are too stupid to have worked out that this is a

battle that they will not win "

>

> " Angling should have a code of conduct in dealing with these people.

I would be interested in a proper, lawful defence "

>

> " These people are fundamentalists. You cannot reason with them "

>

> " The day I have to give up fishing because the lobbyists have

somehow succeeded in getting it banned is the day I declare war on my

countrymen "

>

> " The best defence is to have a united angling alliance. We need to

portray and upkeep an image of guardians of the countryside and the

environment "

>

> Peter H

>

>

>

>

> Now you can scan emails quickly with a reading pane. Get the new

Mail.

>

Hi Anouk

That would be good :-)

Jo

-

" Anouk Sickler " <zurumato

Sunday, August 27, 2006 5:38 PM

Re: Fishermen fear action by animal rights extremists

> i did not read that article,

> just the title,

>

> but I hope that someday..

> people that kill animals for food

> will be called extremists

> I hope in my lifetime.

>

>

>

> , peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

> >

> > THE activities of the Lobster Liberation Front may sound like a

> comedy sketch item. However, a fervent defence of the lives of fish

> and sealife is behind a sinister development in the animal rights

> movement. Fishermen fear that they are the latest target of extremists

> prepared to use violent tactics to disrupt their sport. A group of

> anglers was attacked last week by hunt saboteurs, and fish farms have

> been vandalised and damaged recently. Now the national umbrella

> organisation for fishing is demanding a meeting with the Home Office

> to discuss the safety of anglers. Jim Glasspool, the chairman of the

> Fisheries and Angling Conservation Trust, said that it wanted to

> " ensure all steps are taken to protect innocent anglers from further

> attacks " . Users of internet fishing blogs are encouraging each other

> to contact their local police forces to demand what is being done to

> protect anglers. The change of ploy by activists coincides with an

> apparent decrease in the number

> > of threats and acts of intimidation against those involved in

> animal testing. Yet saboteurs have been encouraged by the hunting ban

> and some anglers fear that they have become a new target because of

> it. A bankside attack last week on fly-fishermen and women near

> Lancaster was blamed on hunt saboteurs who had failed to find any

> grouse-shooting parties. A group of 30 men armed with bats smashed up

> rods, threw stones, damaged cars and started fights. Two anglers were

> assaulted and a woman was punched in the face. Other individuals,

> businesses and matches have been targeted. A posting on the Animal

> Liberation Front (ALF) website in March was headlined " trout abusers

> sabotaged " . Activists broke into Newmill Trout and Deer Farm near

> Lanark, threw goods from the farm shop into a lake, cut brake cables

> on vehicles and slashed their tyres. In the same month 60 lobster

> pots were dismantled in Scotland while slogans were spray-painted on

> fishermen's sheds. The Lobster

> > Liberation Front (LLF) claimed responsibility. Members of the LLF

> also slashed nets belonging to a fisherman in Dorset and draped them

> across his boats. Animal rights saboteurs were blamed for releasing

> 50,000 farmed fish into a reservoir in Kent this year. A spokesman

> for the National Federation of Anglers said that last week's animal

> rights attack on fishermen was not the first. He said: " Police have to

> clamp down on this. Anglers need to feel that they have the support of

> the authorities and are safe when they go fishing. " On its website,

> the North West Hunt Saboteurs Association suggests that members read

> Angling Times to discover the location of popular venues and club

> meets. Forms of disruption it advocates include wiring up access

> gates, changing around anglers' peg numbers, putting up " match

> cancelled " notices, rowing up and down the river, and using poles to

> lift fishing lines from the water.

> > Fished from the angler's blogs

> >

> > " I said this would bloody well happen! I said they would bloody well

> come after me once they did for fox hunting! Bloody sabs! "

> >

> > " Perhaps the sabs are too stupid to have worked out that this is a

> battle that they will not win "

> >

> > " Angling should have a code of conduct in dealing with these people.

> I would be interested in a proper, lawful defence "

> >

> > " These people are fundamentalists. You cannot reason with them "

> >

> > " The day I have to give up fishing because the lobbyists have

> somehow succeeded in getting it banned is the day I declare war on my

> countrymen "

> >

> > " The best defence is to have a united angling alliance. We need to

> portray and upkeep an image of guardians of the countryside and the

> environment "

> >

> > Peter H

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Now you can scan emails quickly with a reading pane. Get the new

> Mail.

> >

To send an email to -

>

One of our friends runs the Crustacean Protection Society in England. Someone has to do it.

Jo

-

peter VV

Sunday, August 27, 2006 8:21 AM

Re: Fishermen fear action by animal rights extremists

THE activities of the Lobster Liberation Front may sound like a comedy sketch item. However, a fervent defence of the lives of fish and sealife is behind a sinister development in the animal rights movement. Fishermen fear that they are the latest target of extremists prepared to use violent tactics to disrupt their sport. A group of anglers was attacked last week by hunt saboteurs, and fish farms have been vandalised and damaged recently. Now the national umbrella organisation for fishing is demanding a meeting with the Home Office to discuss the safety of anglers. Jim Glasspool, the chairman of the Fisheries and Angling Conservation Trust, said that it wanted to “ensure all steps are taken to protect innocent anglers from further attacks”. Users of internet fishing blogs are encouraging each other to contact their local police forces to demand what is being done to protect anglers. The change of ploy by activists coincides with an apparent decrease in the number of threats and acts of intimidation against those involved in animal testing. Yet saboteurs have been encouraged by the hunting ban and some anglers fear that they have become a new target because of it. A bankside attack last week on fly-fishermen and women near Lancaster was blamed on hunt saboteurs who had failed to find any grouse-shooting parties. A group of 30 men armed with bats smashed up rods, threw stones, damaged cars and started fights. Two anglers were assaulted and a woman was punched in the face. Other individuals, businesses and matches have been targeted. A posting on the Animal Liberation Front (ALF) website in March was headlined “trout abusers sabotaged”. Activists broke into Newmill Trout and Deer Farm near Lanark, threw goods from the farm shop into a lake, cut brake cables on vehicles and slashed their tyres. In the same month 60 lobster pots were dismantled in Scotland while slogans were spray-painted on fishermen’s sheds. The Lobster Liberation Front (LLF) claimed responsibility. Members of the LLF also slashed nets belonging to a fisherman in Dorset and draped them across his boats. Animal rights saboteurs were blamed for releasing 50,000 farmed fish into a reservoir in Kent this year. A spokesman for the National Federation of Anglers said that last week’s animal rights attack on fishermen was not the first. He said: “Police have to clamp down on this. Anglers need to feel that they have the support of the authorities and are safe when they go fishing.” On its website, the North West Hunt Saboteurs Association suggests that members read Angling Times to discover the location of popular venues and club meets. Forms of disruption it advocates include wiring up access gates, changing around anglers’ peg numbers, putting up “match cancelled” notices, rowing up and down the river, and using poles to lift fishing lines from the water.

Fished from the angler's blogs

“I said this would bloody well happen! I said they would bloody well come after me once they did for fox hunting! Bloody sabs!”

“Perhaps the sabs are too stupid to have worked out that this is a battle that they will not win”

“Angling should have a code of conduct in dealing with these people. I would be interested in a proper, lawful defence”

“These people are fundamentalists. You cannot reason with them”

“The day I have to give up fishing because the lobbyists have somehow succeeded in getting it banned is the day I declare war on my countrymen”

“The best defence is to have a united angling alliance. We need to portray and upkeep an image of guardians of the countryside and the environment”

Peter H

Now you can scan emails quickly with a reading pane. Get the new Mail.

Hi Anouk, I like the idea, and given time.who knows? Extremisms is just that extremism, terrorists are just terrorists, they make any cause less likely to be sympathised with or taken seriously. However, with this and many simular articles lately, ALF/Animal Rights members seem to be the bad guys in the medias eyes more and more. The Valley Vegan...........Anouk Sickler <zurumato wrote: i did not read that article,just the title,but I hope that someday..people that kill animals for foodwill be called extremistsI hope in my lifetime. , peter VV wrote:>> THE activities of the Lobster Liberation Front may sound like acomedy sketch item. However, a fervent

defence of the lives of fishand sealife is behind a sinister development in the animal rightsmovement. Fishermen fear that they are the latest target of extremistsprepared to use violent tactics to disrupt their sport. A group ofanglers was attacked last week by hunt saboteurs, and fish farms havebeen vandalised and damaged recently. Now the national umbrellaorganisation for fishing is demanding a meeting with the Home Officeto discuss the safety of anglers. Jim Glasspool, the chairman of theFisheries and Angling Conservation Trust, said that it wanted to"ensure all steps are taken to protect innocent anglers from furtherattacks". Users of internet fishing blogs are encouraging each otherto contact their local police forces to demand what is being done toprotect anglers. The change of ploy by activists coincides with anapparent decrease in the number> of threats and acts of intimidation against those involved

inanimal testing. Yet saboteurs have been encouraged by the hunting banand some anglers fear that they have become a new target because ofit. A bankside attack last week on fly-fishermen and women nearLancaster was blamed on hunt saboteurs who had failed to find anygrouse-shooting parties. A group of 30 men armed with bats smashed uprods, threw stones, damaged cars and started fights. Two anglers wereassaulted and a woman was punched in the face. Other individuals,businesses and matches have been targeted. A posting on the AnimalLiberation Front (ALF) website in March was headlined "trout abuserssabotaged". Activists broke into Newmill Trout and Deer Farm nearLanark, threw goods from the farm shop into a lake, cut brake cableson vehicles and slashed their tyres. In the same month 60 lobsterpots were dismantled in Scotland while slogans were spray-painted onfishermen's sheds. The Lobster> Liberation Front (LLF)

claimed responsibility. Members of the LLFalso slashed nets belonging to a fisherman in Dorset and draped themacross his boats. Animal rights saboteurs were blamed for releasing50,000 farmed fish into a reservoir in Kent this year. A spokesmanfor the National Federation of Anglers said that last week's animalrights attack on fishermen was not the first. He said: "Police have toclamp down on this. Anglers need to feel that they have the support ofthe authorities and are safe when they go fishing." On its website,the North West Hunt Saboteurs Association suggests that members readAngling Times to discover the location of popular venues and clubmeets. Forms of disruption it advocates include wiring up accessgates, changing around anglers' peg numbers, putting up "matchcancelled" notices, rowing up and down the river, and using poles tolift fishing lines from the water.> Fished from the angler's blogs> >

"I said this would bloody well happen! I said they would bloody wellcome after me once they did for fox hunting! Bloody sabs!" > > "Perhaps the sabs are too stupid to have worked out that this is abattle that they will not win" > > "Angling should have a code of conduct in dealing with these people.I would be interested in a proper, lawful defence" > > "These people are fundamentalists. You cannot reason with them" > > "The day I have to give up fishing because the lobbyists havesomehow succeeded in getting it banned is the day I declare war on mycountrymen" > > "The best defence is to have a united angling alliance. We need toportray and upkeep an image of guardians of the countryside and theenvironment"> > Peter H > > > > > Now you can scan emails quickly with a reading pane. Get the

new Mail.>To send an email to -