IndiaDivine.org

Encourage variety in teen vegan's diet

Rate this topic

Guest guest

From : Rocky MountainNews.com : Find creative ways to add protein, other nutrients to menu STORY TOOLS Email this story | Print POLL By Lisa Ryckman, Rocky Mountain News September 5, 2006 Question: My teenage daughter has become a vegan and won't eat any animal products, including meat, seafood, eggs and dairy. What strategies can I use

to make sure she's getting the protein she needs? Answer: Not to worry - it can be done, says Prudence Athearn Levy, a registered dietitian at Cherry Creek Nutrition. "With a little extra work, a teen's protein needs are usually met even with very strict vegan diets," she says. Depending on your daughter's age, weight, height and activity level, her minimum requirements for protein range from 46 to 56 grams, more if she's also an athlete. Look for protein-rich foods such as soy milk, soy or almond cheese, beans, lentils, whole grains such as quinoa, cereals - especially high-protein cereals such as Kashi Go Lean - nuts and nut butters, seeds, soy or brown rice protein powder for smoothies, tofu, tempeh and textured vegetable protein. "Encouraging variety is the best way to ensure she meets her protein needs," the dietitian says. "A great way to start is to visit a vegan or vegetarian restaurant and try some new dishes together." Watercourse in Denver or Sunflower or Karma Cuisine in Boulder use alternative sources for protein such as soy, beans, lentils and seeds in creative and satisfying ways, Levy says. "Then you could try to re-create it at home," she says. "You could also take a vegan cooking class together or to a vegan magazine. Another strategy to make sure she's on the right track is to plan one night each week where either she cooks the meal or you cook a totally vegan meal for the whole family together." Protein isn't necessarily the biggest nutritional concern with a vegan diet, Levy says. "She may be missing out on other essential nutrients such as calcium and vitamin D, iron, zinc and vitamin B12, which is almost exclusively found in animal products," Levy says. Encourage your daughter to drink soy milk enriched with calcium, vitamin D and B12. Other good calcium sources are dried beans, green leafy vegetables, nuts, calcium-fortified orange juice

and tofu made with calcium. Levy says the most usable form of iron is meat, but a vegan can get enough from iron-fortified bread and bread products, cereals, beans, lentils, dried fruit and spinach. To boost her ability to absorb iron, serve iron-rich food with foods rich in vitamin C, such as a spinach salad with strawberries or a bean burrito with tomato salsa. "Let her explore new foods and start to read labels together to learn more about protein and nutrition in general," Levy says. "When done right, including lots of whole grains, vegetables, fruits and non-meat/ dairy protein, vegan and vegetarian diets can be healthy and satisfying." The recipe below is from the Students Go Vegan Cookbook by Carole Raymond. Penne with White Beans and Greens Makes 4 servings 1 tablespoon olive oil 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cups) 3 large garlic cloves, minced 5 cups

chopped escarole or Swiss chard Dash of salt and pinch of ground black pepper One 15-ounce can whole tomatoes One 15-ounce can white beans or navy beans, drained 6 to 9 ounces penne 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice • In a medium skillet, heat the oil. Add the onions and saute 5 minutes over medium heat until translucent. • Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Stir in the escarole, salt and pepper. • Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, covered, until the greens are bright green, wilted and reduced by at least half. • Add the liquid from the tomatoes and coarsely chop tomatoes with a knife right in the can. • Stir the tomatoes and beans into the skillet and bring the sauce to a gentle simmer. • Cook the penne in boiling water, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes, until al dente. Drain. • Stir the lemon juice into the sauce. Divide the

pasta into 4 serving bowls. • Top with the sauce and serve immediately. Nutritional information per serving: 450 cal., 5 g fat (1 g sat.), 0 mg chol., 85 g carb., 319 mg sodium, 10 g fiber, 18 g pro.Peter H

All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine

i'll be at watercourse in 3 weeks

:)

peter VV Sep 6, 2006 12:12 PM Re: Encourage variety in teen vegan's diet

Find creative ways to add protein, other nutrients to menu

STORY TOOLS

Email this story | Print

POLL

By Lisa Ryckman, Rocky Mountain News September 5, 2006

Question: My teenage daughter has become a vegan and won't eat any animal products, including meat, seafood, eggs and dairy. What strategies can I use to make sure she's getting the protein she needs? Answer: Not to worry - it can be done, says Prudence Athearn Levy, a registered dietitian at Cherry Creek Nutrition. "With a little extra work, a teen's protein needs are usually met even with very strict vegan diets," she says. Depending on your daughter's age, weight, height and activity level, her minimum requirements for protein range from 46 to 56 grams, more if she's also an athlete. Look for protein-rich foods such as soy milk, soy or almond cheese, beans, lentils, whole grains such as quinoa, cereals - especially high-protein cereals such as Kashi Go Lean - nuts and nut butters, seeds, soy or brown rice protein powder for smoothies, tofu, tempeh and textured vegetable protein. "Encouraging variety is the best way to ensure she meets her protein needs," the dietitian says. "A great way to start is to visit a vegan or vegetarian restaurant and try some new dishes together." Watercourse in Denver or Sunflower or Karma Cuisine in Boulder use alternative sources for protein such as soy, beans, lentils and seeds in creative and satisfying ways, Levy says. "Then you could try to re-create it at home," she says. "You could also take a vegan cooking class together or to a vegan magazine. Another strategy to make sure she's on the right track is to plan one night each week where either she cooks the meal or you cook a totally vegan meal for the whole family together." Protein isn't necessarily the biggest nutritional concern with a vegan diet, Levy says. "She may be missing out on other essential nutrients such as calcium and vitamin D, iron, zinc and vitamin B12, which is almost exclusively found in animal products," Levy says. Encourage your daughter to drink soy milk enriched with calcium, vitamin D and B12. Other good calcium sources are dried beans, green leafy vegetables, nuts, calcium-fortified orange juice and tofu made with calcium. Levy says the most usable form of iron is meat, but a vegan can get enough from iron-fortified bread and bread products, cereals, beans, lentils, dried fruit and spinach. To boost her ability to absorb iron, serve iron-rich food with foods rich in vitamin C, such as a spinach salad with strawberries or a bean burrito with tomato salsa. "Let her explore new foods and start to read labels together to learn more about protein and nutrition in general," Levy says. "When done right, including lots of whole grains, vegetables, fruits and non-meat/ dairy protein, vegan and vegetarian diets can be healthy and satisfying." The recipe below is from the Students Go Vegan Cookbook by Carole Raymond. Penne with White Beans and Greens Makes 4 servings 1 tablespoon olive oil 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cups) 3 large garlic cloves, minced 5 cups chopped escarole or Swiss chard Dash of salt and pinch of ground black pepper One 15-ounce can whole tomatoes One 15-ounce can white beans or navy beans, drained 6 to 9 ounces penne 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice In a medium skillet, heat the oil. Add the onions and saute 5 minutes over medium heat until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Stir in the escarole, salt and pepper. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, covered, until the greens are bright green, wilted and reduced by at least half. Add the liquid from the tomatoes and coarsely chop tomatoes with a knife right in the can. Stir the tomatoes and beans into the skillet and bring the sauce to a gentle simmer. Cook the penne in boiling water, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes, until al dente. Drain. Stir the lemon juice into the sauce. Divide the pasta into 4 serving bowls. Top with the sauce and serve immediately. Nutritional information per serving: 450 cal., 5 g fat (1 g sat.), 0 mg chol., 85 g carb., 319 mg sodium, 10 g fiber, 18 g pro.

Peter H

All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine

If George Bush said that the Earth was flat, the headline would read, "Views Differ on Shape of the Earth"

You can compare the review! Hows yer weekend break after?, bike alright? The Valley Vegan...........fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: i'll be at watercourse in 3 weeks :) peter VV Sep 6, 2006 12:12 PM Re: Encourage variety in teen vegan's diet From : Rocky MountainNews.com : Find creative ways to add protein, other nutrients to menu STORY TOOLS Email this story | Print POLL By Lisa Ryckman, Rocky Mountain News September 5, 2006 Question: My teenage daughter has become a vegan and won't eat any animal products, including meat, seafood, eggs and dairy. What strategies can I use to make sure she's getting the protein she needs? Answer: Not to worry - it can be done, says Prudence Athearn

Levy, a registered dietitian at Cherry Creek Nutrition. "With a little extra work, a teen's protein needs are usually met even with very strict vegan diets," she says. Depending on your daughter's age, weight, height and activity level, her minimum requirements for protein range from 46 to 56 grams, more if she's also an athlete. Look for protein-rich foods such as soy milk, soy or almond cheese, beans, lentils, whole grains such as quinoa, cereals - especially high-protein cereals such as Kashi Go Lean - nuts and nut butters, seeds, soy or brown rice protein powder for smoothies, tofu, tempeh and textured vegetable protein. "Encouraging variety is the best way to ensure she meets her protein needs," the dietitian says. "A great way to start is to visit a vegan or vegetarian restaurant and try some new dishes together." Watercourse in Denver or Sunflower or Karma Cuisine in Boulder use alternative sources for protein such as soy, beans,

lentils and seeds in creative and satisfying ways, Levy says. "Then you could try to re-create it at home," she says. "You could also take a vegan cooking class together or to a vegan magazine. Another strategy to make sure she's on the right track is to plan one night each week where either she cooks the meal or you cook a totally vegan meal for the whole family together." Protein isn't necessarily the biggest nutritional concern with a vegan diet, Levy says. "She may be missing out on other essential nutrients such as calcium and vitamin D, iron, zinc and vitamin B12, which is almost exclusively found in animal products," Levy says. Encourage your daughter to drink soy milk enriched with calcium, vitamin D and B12. Other good calcium sources are dried beans, green leafy vegetables, nuts, calcium-fortified orange juice and tofu made with calcium. Levy says the most usable form of iron is meat, but a vegan can get enough from

iron-fortified bread and bread products, cereals, beans, lentils, dried fruit and spinach. To boost her ability to absorb iron, serve iron-rich food with foods rich in vitamin C, such as a spinach salad with strawberries or a bean burrito with tomato salsa. "Let her explore new foods and start to read labels together to learn more about protein and nutrition in general," Levy says. "When done right, including lots of whole grains, vegetables, fruits and non-meat/ dairy protein, vegan and vegetarian diets can be healthy and satisfying." The recipe below is from the Students Go Vegan Cookbook by Carole Raymond. Penne with White Beans and Greens Makes 4 servings 1 tablespoon olive oil 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cups) 3 large garlic cloves, minced 5 cups chopped escarole or Swiss chard Dash of salt and pinch of ground black pepper One 15-ounce can whole

tomatoes One 15-ounce can white beans or navy beans, drained 6 to 9 ounces penne 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice • In a medium skillet, heat the oil. Add the onions and saute 5 minutes over medium heat until translucent. • Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Stir in the escarole, salt and pepper. • Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, covered, until the greens are bright green, wilted and reduced by at least half. • Add the liquid from the tomatoes and coarsely chop tomatoes with a knife right in the can. • Stir the tomatoes and beans into the skillet and bring the sauce to a gentle simmer. • Cook the penne in boiling water, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes, until al dente. Drain. • Stir the lemon juice into the sauce. Divide the pasta into 4 serving bowls. • Top with the sauce and serve immediately. Nutritional

information per serving: 450 cal., 5 g fat (1 g sat.), 0 mg chol., 85 g carb., 319 mg sodium, 10 g fiber, 18 g pro. Peter H All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine If George Bush said that the Earth was flat, the headline would read, "Views Differ on Shape of the Earth"Peter H

Try the all-new Mail . "The New Version is radically easier to use" – The Wall Street Journal

watercourse was REALLY good last year

their vegan fajitas were incredible...

weekend was great

last few days have been a disaster...

:(

bike is fine

rebecca's still no running tho

fraggle

peter VV Sep 7, 2006 11:19 AM Re: Encourage variety in teen vegan's diet

You can compare the review!

Hows yer weekend break after?, bike alright?

If George Bush said that the Earth was flat, the headline would read, "Views Differ on Shape of the Earth"

Glad the weekend was good, sorry the last few days werent. must be karma. Why dont you give Rebecca a hand rebuilding the bike? Build up to my bday not wonderful, coming home from work, picking up a paintbrush aint my idea of fun. The Valley Vegan..............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: watercourse was REALLY good last year their vegan fajitas were incredible... weekend was great last few days have been a disaster... :( bike is fine rebecca's still no running tho fraggle peter VV Sep 7, 2006 11:19 AM Re: Encourage variety in teen vegan's diet You can compare the review! Hows yer weekend break after?, bike alright? If George Bush said that the Earth was flat, the headline would read, "Views Differ on Shape of the Earth"Peter H

thanx on the karma..

sheesh

because rebecca is much more mechanically inclined then i am

peter VV Sep 7, 2006 12:59 PM Re: Encourage variety in teen vegan's diet

Glad the weekend was good, sorry the last few days werent. must be karma. Why dont you give Rebecca a hand rebuilding the bike?

Build up to my bday not wonderful, coming home from work, picking up a paintbrush aint my idea of fun.

The Valley Vegan..............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

watercourse was REALLY good last year

their vegan fajitas were incredible...

weekend was great

last few days have been a disaster...

:(

bike is fine

rebecca's still no running tho

fraggle

peter VV Sep 7, 2006 11:19 AM Re: Encourage variety in teen vegan's diet

You can compare the review!

Hows yer weekend break after?, bike alright? If George Bush said that the Earth was flat, the headline would read, "Views Differ on Shape of the Earth"

Peter H

Good job your bile is under warranty then!.............ha ha only joking..........go on smile! The Valley Vegan...........fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: thanx on the karma.. sheesh because rebecca is much more mechanically inclined then i am peter VV Sep 7, 2006 12:59 PM Re: Encourage variety in teen vegan's diet Glad the weekend was good, sorry the last few days werent. must be karma. Why dont you give Rebecca a hand rebuilding

the bike? Build up to my bday not wonderful, coming home from work, picking up a paintbrush aint my idea of fun. The Valley Vegan..............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: watercourse was REALLY good last year their vegan fajitas were incredible... weekend was great last few days have been a disaster... :( bike is fine rebecca's still no running tho fraggle peter VV Sep 7, 2006 11:19 AM To:

Re: Encourage variety in teen vegan's diet You can compare the review! Hows yer weekend break after?, bike alright? If George Bush said that the Earth was flat, the headline would read, "Views Differ on Shape of the Earth" Peter H All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine If George Bush said that the Earth was flat, the headline would read, "Views Differ on Shape of the Earth"Peter H

Hi Peter

>Build up to my bday not wonderful, coming home from work, picking up a paintbrush aint my idea of fun.

So - when is your bday... and for how long will you have been 27? :-)

BB

Peter

45 tomorrow, still havent finished decorating.blah! The Valley Vegan....................................Peter Kebbell <metalscarab wrote: Hi Peter >Build up to my bday not wonderful, coming home from work, picking up a paintbrush aint my idea of fun. So - when is your bday... and for how long will you have been 27? :-) BB Peter Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail

Thanks, just got in from a chinese meal with my family. very full now, and still have a table full of chocolate, and my wife made me a chocolate birthday cake! Gonna OD on chocolate in the next couple of days! Still havent finished decorating.........blah! The Valley Vegan..............Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Peter >45 tomorrow, still havent finished decorating.blah! In that case, Happy Birthday :-) BB Peter Peter H

Win a BlackBerry device from O2 with . Enter now.

Hi Peter

I hope you had a good meal. Forget the decorating for a couple of days :-)

Jo

-

peter VV

Saturday, September 09, 2006 8:46 PM

Re: Encourage variety in teen vegan's diet

Thanks, just got in from a chinese meal with my family. very full now, and still have a table full of chocolate, and my wife made me a chocolate birthday cake!

Gonna OD on chocolate in the next couple of days!

Still havent finished decorating.........blah!

The Valley Vegan..............Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Peter

>45 tomorrow, still havent finished decorating.blah!

In that case, Happy Birthday :-)

BB

Peter

Peter H

Win a BlackBerry device from O2 with . Enter now.

I just cant relax until its done!, place has looked like a bomb has hit it and I cant stand it! The Valley Vegan............jo <jo.heartwork wrote: Hi Peter I hope you had a good meal. Forget the decorating for a couple of days :-) Jo -

peter VV Saturday, September 09, 2006 8:46 PM Re: Encourage variety in teen vegan's diet Thanks, just got in from a chinese meal with my family. very full now, and still have a table full of chocolate, and my wife made me a chocolate birthday cake! Gonna OD on chocolate in the next couple of days! Still havent finished decorating.........blah! The Valley Vegan..............Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Peter >45 tomorrow, still havent finished decorating.blah! In that case, Happy Birthday :-) BB Peter Peter H Win a BlackBerry device from O2 with . Enter now. Peter H

The all-new Mail goes wherever you go - free your email address from your Internet provider.

> Gonna OD on chocolate in the next couple of days!

The PERFECT b-day gift!!!!! :D

Nikki

, peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

>

> Thanks, just got in from a chinese meal with my family. very full

now, and still have a table full of chocolate, and my wife made me a

chocolate birthday cake!

> Gonna OD on chocolate in the next couple of days!

> Still havent finished decorating.........blah!

>

> The Valley Vegan..............

>