IndiaDivine.org

Holidays :-)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

We're just back from a holiday in Devon. We had a lovely time.

We stayed one night B & B and dinner at Cuddyford in Ashburton - good vegan food, very pleasant. For dinner we had stuffed golden courgettes with three different types of green beans, cauliflower and roast potatoes, followed by lemon tart with Swedish glace. Breakfast was a choice of fresh fruit salad, many cereals, toast and many spreads, and a cooked breakfast. The only draw back is that the vegetarian owners have beehives.

The next two nights we stayed at Fern Tor in South Molton. The owners are vegan, and animal rights activists, and all the food was vegan, and very good. We were provided with cups of redbush tea when we arrived, and they supplied soya milk for our room. For dinner on the first night we had a green salad with avacado followed by asparagus pancakes cooked in a cheesy white sauce, with green beans and potatoes, followed by summer fruits brulee with Swedish glace. Breakfast was a choice of cereal, stewed fruits, toast and spreads, cooked breakfast or porridge, or pancakes with maple syrup. The second night the dinner was a green and herb salad with strawberries and basil, followed by roast tofu and vegetables with mash and cauliflower, followed by the most heavenly figgy pudding I have ever tasted. We had a room, with a small lounge :-)

The last night we stayed at a place called Lower Norris House in North Huish near to Totnes. It was enormous. Our bedroom was as large as the whole ground floor of our house! It was a retreat with aromatherapy massages, reflexology and healing sessions, and meditation - but as we were there for only one night we did not take advantage of any of these things. The owner is veggie, but provided lovely vegan food. When we arrived we were served with a pot of redbush tea, which we took to the verandah - and spent an hour relaxing in the warm evening air, with our books, and one of their cats, which seemed to adopt me. The dinner was really good celery soup followed by stuffed aubergines (Colin had nut roast) with broad beans and roast mixed vegetables (cooked with some spices that made it delicious) and roast potatoes, followed by fresh pineapple with Swedish glace (yes, I do like Swedish glace), and Colin had apple and blackberry crumble with Alpro desert.

On our way home today we thought it would be good to go to the only remaining Cranks restaurant. It took us ages to find it as the directions given in Vegetarian Britain are not correct - it is in the Cider Press not Dartington Hall. We did not eat there in the end as we were very disappointed. There was only homity pie available, which is veggie not vegan. For vegans there was only onion bhaji - very black looking, and cold, with potato wedges - and the bhaji cost over £5 !!!! So I would definitelty not recommend Cranks.

Back to a sensible amount of eating now, and back to losing weight.

Jo

sure...jsut ruin all my preconcieved notions of English cooking

:)

jo Sep 7, 2006 3:21 PM Holidays :-)

We stayed one night B & B and dinner at Cuddyford in Ashburton - good vegan food, very pleasant. For dinner we had stuffed golden courgettes with three different types of green beans, cauliflower and roast potatoes, followed by lemon tart with Swedish glace. Breakfast was a choice of fresh fruit salad, many cereals, toast and many spreads, and a cooked breakfast. The only draw back is that the vegetarian owners have beehives.

The next two nights we stayed at Fern Tor in South Molton. The owners are vegan, and animal rights activists, and all the food was vegan, and very good. We were provided with cups of redbush tea when we arrived, and they supplied soya milk for our room. For dinner on the first night we had a green salad with avacado followed by asparagus pancakes cooked in a cheesy white sauce, with green beans and potatoes, followed by summer fruits brulee with Swedish glace. Breakfast was a choice of cereal, stewed fruits, toast and spreads, cooked breakfast or porridge, or pancakes with maple syrup. The second night the dinner was a green and herb salad with strawberries and basil, followed by roast tofu and vegetables with mash and cauliflower, followed by the most heavenly figgy pudding I have ever tasted. We had a room, with a small lounge :-)

The last night we stayed at a place called Lower Norris House in North Huish near to Totnes. It was enormous. Our bedroom was as large as the whole ground floor of our house! It was a retreat with aromatherapy massages, reflexology and healing sessions, and meditation - but as we were there for only one night we did not take advantage of any of these things. The owner is veggie, but provided lovely vegan food. When we arrived we were served with a pot of redbush tea, which we took to the verandah - and spent an hour relaxing in the warm evening air, with our books, and one of their cats, which seemed to adopt me. The dinner was really good celery soup followed by stuffed aubergines (Colin had nut roast) with broad beans and roast mixed vegetables (cooked with some spices that made it delicious) and roast potatoes, followed by fresh pineapple with Swedish glace (yes, I do like Swedish glace), and Colin had apple and blackberry crumble with Alpro desert.

On our way home today we thought it would be good to go to the only remaining Cranks restaurant. It took us ages to find it as the directions given in Vegetarian Britain are not correct - it is in the Cider Press not Dartington Hall. We did not eat there in the end as we were very disappointed. There was only homity pie available, which is veggie not vegan. For vegans there was only onion bhaji - very black looking, and cold, with potato wedges - and the bhaji cost over £5 !!!! So I would definitelty not recommend Cranks.

Jo

If George Bush said that the Earth was flat, the headline would read, "Views Differ on Shape of the Earth"

Hi Jo

Sounds absolutely wonderful! I am gald you both enjoyed it for the

most part. :)

BB

Nikki

, " jo " <jo.heartwork wrote:

>

> We're just back from a holiday in Devon. We had a lovely time.

>

> We stayed one night B & B and dinner at Cuddyford in Ashburton - good

vegan food, very pleasant. For dinner we had stuffed golden

courgettes with three different types of green beans, cauliflower and

roast potatoes, followed by lemon tart with Swedish glace. Breakfast

was a choice of fresh fruit salad, many cereals, toast and many

spreads, and a cooked breakfast. The only draw back is that the

vegetarian owners have beehives.

>

> The next two nights we stayed at Fern Tor in South Molton. The

owners are vegan, and animal rights activists, and all the food was

vegan, and very good. We were provided with cups of redbush tea when

we arrived, and they supplied soya milk for our room. For dinner on

the first night we had a green salad with avacado followed by

asparagus pancakes cooked in a cheesy white sauce, with green beans

and potatoes, followed by summer fruits brulee with Swedish glace.

Breakfast was a choice of cereal, stewed fruits, toast and spreads,

cooked breakfast or porridge, or pancakes with maple syrup. The

second night the dinner was a green and herb salad with strawberries

and basil, followed by roast tofu and vegetables with mash and

cauliflower, followed by the most heavenly figgy pudding I have ever

tasted. We had a room, with a small lounge :-)

>

> The last night we stayed at a place called Lower Norris House in

North Huish near to Totnes. It was enormous. Our bedroom was as

large as the whole ground floor of our house! It was a retreat with

aromatherapy massages, reflexology and healing sessions, and

meditation - but as we were there for only one night we did not take

advantage of any of these things. The owner is veggie, but provided

lovely vegan food. When we arrived we were served with a pot of

redbush tea, which we took to the verandah - and spent an hour

relaxing in the warm evening air, with our books, and one of their

cats, which seemed to adopt me. The dinner was really good celery

soup followed by stuffed aubergines (Colin had nut roast) with broad

beans and roast mixed vegetables (cooked with some spices that made it

delicious) and roast potatoes, followed by fresh pineapple with

Swedish glace (yes, I do like Swedish glace), and Colin had apple and

blackberry crumble with Alpro desert.

>

> On our way home today we thought it would be good to go to the only

remaining Cranks restaurant. It took us ages to find it as the

directions given in Vegetarian Britain are not correct - it is in the

Cider Press not Dartington Hall. We did not eat there in the end as

we were very disappointed. There was only homity pie available, which

is veggie not vegan. For vegans there was only onion bhaji - very

black looking, and cold, with potato wedges - and the bhaji cost over

£5 !!!! So I would definitelty not recommend Cranks.

>

> Back to a sensible amount of eating now, and back to losing weight.

>

> Jo

>

Thanks Nikki

It was good, and the weather was lovely.

BB

Jo

-

" earthstrm " <earthstorm

Friday, September 08, 2006 1:18 PM

Re: Holidays :-)

Hi Jo

Sounds absolutely wonderful! I am gald you both enjoyed it for the

most part. :)

BB

Nikki

, " jo " <jo.heartwork wrote:

>

> We're just back from a holiday in Devon. We had a lovely time.

>

> We stayed one night B & B and dinner at Cuddyford in Ashburton - good

vegan food, very pleasant. For dinner we had stuffed golden

courgettes with three different types of green beans, cauliflower and

roast potatoes, followed by lemon tart with Swedish glace. Breakfast

was a choice of fresh fruit salad, many cereals, toast and many

spreads, and a cooked breakfast. The only draw back is that the

vegetarian owners have beehives.

>

> The next two nights we stayed at Fern Tor in South Molton. The

owners are vegan, and animal rights activists, and all the food was

vegan, and very good. We were provided with cups of redbush tea when

we arrived, and they supplied soya milk for our room. For dinner on

the first night we had a green salad with avacado followed by

asparagus pancakes cooked in a cheesy white sauce, with green beans

and potatoes, followed by summer fruits brulee with Swedish glace.

Breakfast was a choice of cereal, stewed fruits, toast and spreads,

cooked breakfast or porridge, or pancakes with maple syrup. The

second night the dinner was a green and herb salad with strawberries

and basil, followed by roast tofu and vegetables with mash and

cauliflower, followed by the most heavenly figgy pudding I have ever

tasted. We had a room, with a small lounge :-)

>

> The last night we stayed at a place called Lower Norris House in

North Huish near to Totnes. It was enormous. Our bedroom was as

large as the whole ground floor of our house! It was a retreat with

aromatherapy massages, reflexology and healing sessions, and

meditation - but as we were there for only one night we did not take

advantage of any of these things. The owner is veggie, but provided

lovely vegan food. When we arrived we were served with a pot of

redbush tea, which we took to the verandah - and spent an hour

relaxing in the warm evening air, with our books, and one of their

cats, which seemed to adopt me. The dinner was really good celery

soup followed by stuffed aubergines (Colin had nut roast) with broad

beans and roast mixed vegetables (cooked with some spices that made it

delicious) and roast potatoes, followed by fresh pineapple with

Swedish glace (yes, I do like Swedish glace), and Colin had apple and

blackberry crumble with Alpro desert.

>

> On our way home today we thought it would be good to go to the only

remaining Cranks restaurant. It took us ages to find it as the

directions given in Vegetarian Britain are not correct - it is in the

Cider Press not Dartington Hall. We did not eat there in the end as

we were very disappointed. There was only homity pie available, which

is veggie not vegan. For vegans there was only onion bhaji - very

black looking, and cold, with potato wedges - and the bhaji cost over

£5 !!!! So I would definitelty not recommend Cranks.

>

> Back to a sensible amount of eating now, and back to losing weight.

>

> Jo

>

To send an email to -

Sound fun, glad you enjoyed yourselves. Nice part of the country isnt it? The Valley Vegan............jo <jo.heartwork wrote: We're just back from a holiday in Devon. We had a lovely time. We stayed one night B & B and dinner at Cuddyford in Ashburton - good vegan food, very pleasant. For dinner we had stuffed golden courgettes with three different types of green beans, cauliflower and roast potatoes, followed by lemon tart with Swedish glace. Breakfast was a choice of fresh fruit salad, many cereals, toast and many spreads, and a cooked breakfast. The only draw back is

that the vegetarian owners have beehives. The next two nights we stayed at Fern Tor in South Molton. The owners are vegan, and animal rights activists, and all the food was vegan, and very good. We were provided with cups of redbush tea when we arrived, and they supplied soya milk for our room. For dinner on the first night we had a green salad with avacado followed by asparagus pancakes cooked in a cheesy white sauce, with green beans and potatoes, followed by summer fruits brulee with Swedish glace. Breakfast was a choice of cereal, stewed fruits, toast and spreads, cooked breakfast or porridge, or pancakes with maple syrup. The second night the dinner was a green and herb salad with strawberries and basil, followed by roast tofu and vegetables with mash and cauliflower, followed by the most heavenly figgy pudding I have ever

tasted. We had a room, with a small lounge :-) The last night we stayed at a place called Lower Norris House in North Huish near to Totnes. It was enormous. Our bedroom was as large as the whole ground floor of our house! It was a retreat with aromatherapy massages, reflexology and healing sessions, and meditation - but as we were there for only one night we did not take advantage of any of these things. The owner is veggie, but provided lovely vegan food. When we arrived we were served with a pot of redbush tea, which we took to the verandah - and spent an hour relaxing in the warm evening air, with our books, and one of their cats, which seemed to adopt me. The dinner was really good celery soup followed by stuffed aubergines (Colin had nut roast) with broad beans and roast mixed vegetables (cooked with some spices that made

it delicious) and roast potatoes, followed by fresh pineapple with Swedish glace (yes, I do like Swedish glace), and Colin had apple and blackberry crumble with Alpro desert. On our way home today we thought it would be good to go to the only remaining Cranks restaurant. It took us ages to find it as the directions given in Vegetarian Britain are not correct - it is in the Cider Press not Dartington Hall. We did not eat there in the end as we were very disappointed. There was only homity pie available, which is veggie not vegan. For vegans there was only onion bhaji - very black looking, and cold, with potato wedges - and the bhaji cost over £5 !!!! So I would definitelty not recommend Cranks. Back to a sensible amount of eating now, and back to losing

weight. Jo Peter H

All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine

Thanks Peter. We did enjoy ourselves. It is lovely. We went to Kents Cavern, on a boat trip from Dartmouth, walked along the cliffs at the Valley of Rocks near Lynton, and visited Widdecombe in the Moor and lots of other villages on Dartmoor, and Exmoor.

Jo

-

peter VV

Friday, September 08, 2006 9:51 PM

Re: Holidays :-)

Sound fun, glad you enjoyed yourselves. Nice part of the country isnt it?

The Valley Vegan............jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

Jo

Peter H

All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine