IndiaDivine.org

Tofu For Thought

Rate this topic

Guest guest

She's got "beef" with beef and Old McDonald.Actually, make that McDonalds, beeswax, wool and milk. Abstaining from meat and all animal by-products, Sarah Howard, a 21-year-old English major at Cal State Fullerton, is a vegan and proud of it.Many people shudder at the word "vegan," and for others, the term draws a giant question mark. Many cannot fathom a meatless vegetarian diet, much less a vegan lifestyle that rejects meat and animal by-products.Vegans are known as vegetarians who go all the way. While vegetarians do not eat meat, vegans do not consume any flesh or animal by-products such as cheese, and avoid products that contain animal by-products like leather."It is very difficult for people to understand why you chose to live this way," Howard said.Imagining the stereotypical vegan, many think of obsessive tofu-lovers, hippies and tree-huggers. But this is not the case for Howard. She wears no hemp jewelry, was raised in a

conservative Republican household and doesn't even drive a hybrid car … yet. She knows that animals have nerve endings and hates to think about their physical pain, but does not believe they have souls. Her fiance, 25-year-old Richard Corp, is also a vegan and a "normal" high school math teacher. For the couple, being vegan is about being socially conscious and aware of food choices."I lean toward a more compassionate lifestyle, what is important to the environment, to animals, to other humans," Howard said.The couple became entirely vegan about a year ago; both had been vegetarians before. The choice became clear for Howard when she did a project about the benefits of soy milk versus regular milk for a speech class."I did a lot of research on the dairy industry," Howard said. "They aren't even farms, they are animal factories. The industries are so corrupt."Citing practices like routine hormone injections and unsanitary living conditions,

Howard was persuaded to stop consuming dairy all together. The next step was avoiding animal by-products. For both Howard and Corp, the choice to be vegan is motivated by the meat industry and what they feel is deplorable treatment of animals"I just don't think it's right for us to exploit animals," Howard said. "It's heart-breaking to see the way a cow is treated, and [then] the rest of it is waste. We just take and take and take."While Vegans have long touted the health aspects of a meat-free diet, Howard focuses more on animal rights and avoiding the meat industry altogether."Some people make an effort not to use animal-tested products, but that's a small issue compared to animal farming," Howard said.She is, however, highly critical of the dietary choices Americans generally make."People are too lazy, people are uneducated when it comes to health," said Howard. "A lot of people don't care about it or research it."Howard rarely

shops at the grocery store, preferring to support local agriculture by frequenting the farmer's market. As for their transition from vegetarians to vegans, the only memorable adjustment for both Howard and Corp was ending their weekly trips for frozen yogurt. They are also constantly searching for the best vegan-friendly bread."I think it's easy, I cook more at home and cook higher-quality food," Corp said.Still, Howard complained that not everything is unavoidable. Her preferred brand of soy milk is owned by Kraft Foods, the company that, in her opinion, is one of the worst culprits of exploitation in the food industry. Other essential items, like car tires, contain animal by-products.Stewart Solomon is a vegan activist who campaigned for the organization Vegan Outreach by passing out 29,410 pamphlets on 24 college campuses last spring. He said he finds the abundance of animal by-products to be another example of the waste generated by the meat

industry."It is precisely because there are so many animals killed that there are so many left over by-products that are so readily available," Solomon said in an e-mail interview. "Not one animal has ever been sacrificed to make tires or to purify drinking water. These products are easily replaceable when need be, but now are so plentiful that you find them everywhere." Solomon is a 43-year-old high school physics and chemistry teacher in Pomona and has been a vegan for 20 years."The concept is, or at least should be, to reduce the torture and suffering of animals to the greatest degree possible," Solomon said.However, he also recognizes the skepticism many individuals have."By setting standards too high and sometimes ridiculous levels, veganism is seen by some as impossible to achieve," Solomon said.Another issue that concerns both Solomon and Corp is that of speceism, a concept addressed in the book "Vegan Freak: Being Vegan in a

Non-Vegan World" by Bob and Jenna Torres. The basic concept is that humans have "compartmentalized animals" into those we eat and those we don't."I had dogs who I loved dearly and I couldn't imagine eating them, although they would be considered quite delicious by many cultures of the world. How could I condemn them for eating dogs while I'm eating cows, pigs, and birds?" Solomon asked.Veganism is a controversial diet and a controversial philosophy, but that has not stopped its followers. Although statistics are hard to find, veganism is nothing new. The first Vegan Society was founded in 1944, and as any vegan will tell you, veganism is not a diet, it is a way of life. Even celebrities like Alicia Silverstone and Joaquin Phoenix live the vegan lifestyle.Peter H

All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine

I always have a problem with articles like this. For a start, vegetarians should not eat any flesh - they just mention meat. What is wrong with hippies and tree-huggers and why is rudeness about them considered to be acceptable!?

Jo

-

peter VV

Friday, September 08, 2006 9:47 PM

Re: Tofu For Thought

She's got "beef" with beef and Old McDonald.Actually, make that McDonalds, beeswax, wool and milk. Abstaining from meat and all animal by-products, Sarah Howard, a 21-year-old English major at Cal State Fullerton, is a vegan and proud of it.Many people shudder at the word "vegan," and for others, the term draws a giant question mark. Many cannot fathom a meatless vegetarian diet, much less a vegan lifestyle that rejects meat and animal by-products.Vegans are known as vegetarians who go all the way. While vegetarians do not eat meat, vegans do not consume any flesh or animal by-products such as cheese, and avoid products that contain animal by-products like leather."It is very difficult for people to understand why you chose to live this way," Howard said.Imagining the stereotypical vegan, many think of obsessive tofu-lovers, hippies and tree-huggers. But this is not the case for Howard. She wears no hemp jewelry, was raised in a conservative Republican household and doesn't even drive a hybrid car … yet. She knows that animals have nerve endings and hates to think about their physical pain, but does not believe they have souls. Her fiance, 25-year-old Richard Corp, is also a vegan and a "normal" high school math teacher. For the couple, being vegan is about being socially conscious and aware of food choices."I lean toward a more compassionate lifestyle, what is important to the environment, to animals, to other humans," Howard said.The couple became entirely vegan about a year ago; both had been vegetarians before. The choice became clear for Howard when she did a project about the benefits of soy milk versus regular milk for a speech class."I did a lot of research on the dairy industry," Howard said. "They aren't even farms, they are animal factories. The industries are so corrupt."Citing practices like routine hormone injections and unsanitary living conditions, Howard was persuaded to stop consuming dairy all together. The next step was avoiding animal by-products. For both Howard and Corp, the choice to be vegan is motivated by the meat industry and what they feel is deplorable treatment of animals"I just don't think it's right for us to exploit animals," Howard said. "It's heart-breaking to see the way a cow is treated, and [then] the rest of it is waste. We just take and take and take."While Vegans have long touted the health aspects of a meat-free diet, Howard focuses more on animal rights and avoiding the meat industry altogether."Some people make an effort not to use animal-tested products, but that's a small issue compared to animal farming," Howard said.She is, however, highly critical of the dietary choices Americans generally make."People are too lazy, people are uneducated when it comes to health," said Howard. "A lot of people don't care about it or research it."Howard rarely shops at the grocery store, preferring to support local agriculture by frequenting the farmer's market. As for their transition from vegetarians to vegans, the only memorable adjustment for both Howard and Corp was ending their weekly trips for frozen yogurt. They are also constantly searching for the best vegan-friendly bread."I think it's easy, I cook more at home and cook higher-quality food," Corp said.Still, Howard complained that not everything is unavoidable. Her preferred brand of soy milk is owned by Kraft Foods, the company that, in her opinion, is one of the worst culprits of exploitation in the food industry. Other essential items, like car tires, contain animal by-products.Stewart Solomon is a vegan activist who campaigned for the organization Vegan Outreach by passing out 29,410 pamphlets on 24 college campuses last spring. He said he finds the abundance of animal by-products to be another example of the waste generated by the meat industry."It is precisely because there are so many animals killed that there are so many left over by-products that are so readily available," Solomon said in an e-mail interview. "Not one animal has ever been sacrificed to make tires or to purify drinking water. These products are easily replaceable when need be, but now are so plentiful that you find them everywhere." Solomon is a 43-year-old high school physics and chemistry teacher in Pomona and has been a vegan for 20 years."The concept is, or at least should be, to reduce the torture and suffering of animals to the greatest degree possible," Solomon said.However, he also recognizes the skepticism many individuals have."By setting standards too high and sometimes ridiculous levels, veganism is seen by some as impossible to achieve," Solomon said.Another issue that concerns both Solomon and Corp is that of speceism, a concept addressed in the book "Vegan Freak: Being Vegan in a Non-Vegan World" by Bob and Jenna Torres. The basic concept is that humans have "compartmentalized animals" into those we eat and those we don't."I had dogs who I loved dearly and I couldn't imagine eating them, although they would be considered quite delicious by many cultures of the world. How could I condemn them for eating dogs while I'm eating cows, pigs, and birds?" Solomon asked.Veganism is a controversial diet and a controversial philosophy, but that has not stopped its followers. Although statistics are hard to find, veganism is nothing new. The first Vegan Society was founded in 1944, and as any vegan will tell you, veganism is not a diet, it is a way of life. Even celebrities like Alicia Silverstone and Joaquin Phoenix live the vegan lifestyle.

Peter H

All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine

I agree, nuthin wrong with respecting all life forms flora or fauna, I cant help touching trees when I see nice ones, or other plants,sniffing flowers, but then even my kids find me strange! The Valley Vegan..........jo <jo.heartwork wrote: I always have a problem with articles like this. For a start, vegetarians should not eat any flesh - they just mention meat. What is wrong with hippies and tree-huggers and why is rudeness about them considered to be acceptable!? Jo - peter VV Friday, September 08, 2006 9:47 PM Re: Tofu For Thought She's got "beef" with beef and Old McDonald.Actually, make that McDonalds, beeswax, wool and milk. Abstaining from meat and all animal by-products, Sarah Howard, a 21-year-old English major at Cal State Fullerton, is a vegan and proud of it.Many people shudder at the word "vegan," and for others, the term draws a giant question mark. Many cannot fathom

a meatless vegetarian diet, much less a vegan lifestyle that rejects meat and animal by-products.Vegans are known as vegetarians who go all the way. While vegetarians do not eat meat, vegans do not consume any flesh or animal by-products such as cheese, and avoid products that contain animal by-products like leather."It is very difficult for people to understand why you chose to live this way," Howard said.Imagining the stereotypical vegan, many think of obsessive tofu-lovers, hippies and tree-huggers. But this is not the case for Howard. She wears no hemp jewelry, was raised in a conservative Republican household and doesn't even drive a hybrid car … yet. She knows that animals have nerve endings and hates to think about their physical pain, but does not believe they have souls. Her fiance, 25-year-old Richard Corp, is also a vegan and a "normal" high school math teacher. For the couple, being vegan is about being socially conscious and aware of

food choices."I lean toward a more compassionate lifestyle, what is important to the environment, to animals, to other humans," Howard said.The couple became entirely vegan about a year ago; both had been vegetarians before. The choice became clear for Howard when she did a project about the benefits of soy milk versus regular milk for a speech class."I did a lot of research on the dairy industry," Howard said. "They aren't even farms, they are animal factories. The industries are so corrupt."Citing practices like routine hormone injections and unsanitary living conditions, Howard was persuaded to stop consuming dairy all together. The next step was avoiding animal by-products. For both Howard and Corp, the choice to be vegan is motivated by the meat industry and what they feel is deplorable treatment of animals"I just don't think it's right for us to exploit animals," Howard said. "It's heart-breaking to see the way a cow is treated, and

[then] the rest of it is waste. We just take and take and take."While Vegans have long touted the health aspects of a meat-free diet, Howard focuses more on animal rights and avoiding the meat industry altogether."Some people make an effort not to use animal-tested products, but that's a small issue compared to animal farming," Howard said.She is, however, highly critical of the dietary choices Americans generally make."People are too lazy, people are uneducated when it comes to health," said Howard. "A lot of people don't care about it or research it."Howard rarely shops at the grocery store, preferring to support local agriculture by frequenting the farmer's market. As for their transition from vegetarians to vegans, the only memorable adjustment for both Howard and Corp was ending their weekly trips for frozen yogurt. They are also constantly searching for the best vegan-friendly bread."I think it's easy, I cook more at

home and cook higher-quality food," Corp said.Still, Howard complained that not everything is unavoidable. Her preferred brand of soy milk is owned by Kraft Foods, the company that, in her opinion, is one of the worst culprits of exploitation in the food industry. Other essential items, like car tires, contain animal by-products.Stewart Solomon is a vegan activist who campaigned for the organization Vegan Outreach by passing out 29,410 pamphlets on 24 college campuses last spring. He said he finds the abundance of animal by-products to be another example of the waste generated by the meat industry."It is precisely because there are so many animals killed that there are so many left over by-products that are so readily available," Solomon said in an e-mail interview. "Not one animal has ever been sacrificed to make tires or to purify drinking water. These products are easily replaceable when need be, but now are so plentiful that you find them

everywhere." Solomon is a 43-year-old high school physics and chemistry teacher in Pomona and has been a vegan for 20 years."The concept is, or at least should be, to reduce the torture and suffering of animals to the greatest degree possible," Solomon said.However, he also recognizes the skepticism many individuals have."By setting standards too high and sometimes ridiculous levels, veganism is seen by some as impossible to achieve," Solomon said.Another issue that concerns both Solomon and Corp is that of speceism, a concept addressed in the book "Vegan Freak: Being Vegan in a Non-Vegan World" by Bob and Jenna Torres. The basic concept is that humans have "compartmentalized animals" into those we eat and those we don't."I had dogs who I loved dearly and I couldn't imagine eating them, although they would be considered quite delicious by many cultures of the world. How could I condemn them for eating dogs while I'm eating cows,

pigs, and birds?" Solomon asked.Veganism is a controversial diet and a controversial philosophy, but that has not stopped its followers. Although statistics are hard to find, veganism is nothing new. The first Vegan Society was founded in 1944, and as any vegan will tell you, veganism is not a diet, it is a way of life. Even celebrities like Alicia Silverstone and Joaquin Phoenix live the vegan lifestyle. Peter H All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine Peter H