IndiaDivine.org

tweetie

Rate this topic

Guest guest

well..i guess its nice they didn't kill one...

sheesh

New Multicolored Bird Found in India

September 13, 2006 — By Associated Press

NEW DELHI — A new bird species has been found in India, the first time such a

discovery has been made here in more than 50 years, an astronomer and keen bird

watcher said Tuesday.

The multicolored bird, Bugun Liocichla, was spotted in May in the remote

Eaglenest Wildlife Sanctuary in India's northeastern state of Arunachal Pradesh

near the border with China, said Ramana Athreya, a member of Mumbai's Natural

History Society.

Athreya, who found the bird, named it after the Bugun tribe, which lives in the

area. The bird has a black cap, a bright yellow patch around the eyes and

yellow, crimson, black and white patches on the wings, he told The Associated

Press.

Birdlife International, a global alliance of conservation organizations,

described it on its Web site Tuesday as " the most sensational ornithological

discovery in India for more than half a century. "

Athreya caught two of the species, but released them after making detailed notes

and taking photographs -- and keeping feathers that had worked loose in his net.

" We thought the bird was just too rare for one to be killed, " Athreya said.

" With today's modern technology, we could gather all the information we needed

to confirm it as a new species. We took feathers and photographs and recorded

the bird's songs, " he said.

Though the bird was discovered in May, the news was kept under wraps until it

was confirmed that it was a new species.

Athreya said he had first briefly spotted the bird in 1995. " But it was only

this year I had a sufficiently good look that we could move into the matter. "

Source: Associated Press

If George Bush said that the Earth was flat, the headline would read, " Views

Differ on Shape of the Earth "

Why the F*** would they even consider killing such a scarce valuable ecological resource? Did I miss something, or dont is it just that I dont think like a scientist? The Valley Vegan................ I found a shoulder to lean onAn infallible reason to live all by itselfI took one last look from the heights that I once lovedAnd then I ran like hellfraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: well..i guess its nice they didn't kill one...sheeshNew Multicolored Bird Found in IndiaSeptember 13, 2006 — By Associated Press NEW DELHI — A new bird species has been found in India, the first time such a discovery has been made here in more than 50 years, an astronomer and keen bird watcher said Tuesday. The multicolored bird, Bugun

Liocichla, was spotted in May in the remote Eaglenest Wildlife Sanctuary in India's northeastern state of Arunachal Pradesh near the border with China, said Ramana Athreya, a member of Mumbai's Natural History Society. Athreya, who found the bird, named it after the Bugun tribe, which lives in the area. The bird has a black cap, a bright yellow patch around the eyes and yellow, crimson, black and white patches on the wings, he told The Associated Press. Birdlife International, a global alliance of conservation organizations, described it on its Web site Tuesday as "the most sensational ornithological discovery in India for more than half a century." Athreya caught two of the species, but released them after making detailed notes and taking photographs -- and keeping feathers that had worked loose in his net. "We thought the bird was just too rare for one to be killed," Athreya said. "With today's modern technology, we could gather

all the information we needed to confirm it as a new species. We took feathers and photographs and recorded the bird's songs," he said. Though the bird was discovered in May, the news was kept under wraps until it was confirmed that it was a new species. Athreya said he had first briefly spotted the bird in 1995. "But it was only this year I had a sufficiently good look that we could move into the matter." Source: Associated PressIf George Bush said that the Earth was flat, the headline would read, "Views Differ on Shape of the Earth"To send an email to -

has to do with accurately cateloging the poor critter

old mindset

some of the biggest "naturalists" of the 19th century were damn good shots....

peter VV Sep 13, 2006 10:56 AM Re: tweetie

Why the F*** would they even consider killing such a scarce valuable ecological resource?

Did I miss something, or dont is it just that I dont think like a scientist?

The Valley Vegan................

I found a shoulder to lean onAn infallible reason to live all by itselfI took one last look from the heights that I once lovedAnd then I ran like hellfraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

well..i guess its nice they didn't kill one...sheeshNew Multicolored Bird Found in IndiaSeptember 13, 2006 â By Associated Press NEW DELHI â A new bird species has been found in India, the first time such a discovery has been made here in more than 50 years, an astronomer and keen bird watcher said Tuesday. The multicolored bird, Bugun Liocichla, was spotted in May in the remote Eaglenest Wildlife Sanctuary in India's northeastern state of Arunachal Pradesh near the border with China, said Ramana Athreya, a member of Mumbai's Natural History Society. Athreya, who found the bird, named it after the Bugun tribe, which lives in the area. The bird has a black cap, a bright yellow patch around the eyes and yellow, crimson, black and white patches on the wings, he told The Associated Press. Birdlife International, a global alliance of conservation organizations, described it on its Web site Tuesday as "the most sensational ornithological discovery in India for more than half a century." Athreya caught two of the species, but released them after making detailed notes and taking photographs -- and keeping feathers that had worked loose in his net. "We thought the bird was just too rare for one to be killed," Athreya said. "With today's modern technology, we could gather all the information we needed to confirm it as a new species. We took feathers and photographs and recorded the bird's songs," he said. Though the bird was discovered in May, the news was kept under wraps until it was confirmed that it was a new species. Athreya said he had first briefly spotted the bird in 1995. "But it was only this year I had a sufficiently good look that we could move into the matter." Source: Associated PressIf George Bush said that the Earth was flat, the headline would read, "Views Differ on Shape of the Earth"To send an email to -

I thought that being a scientist meant a lot of observation? not gonna learn a lot about the habits off a stiff are you? I guess they thought that they could tell more by dissection than observing an animal in its natural habitat. The Valley Vegan...............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: has to do with accurately cateloging the poor critter old mindset some of the biggest "naturalists" of the 19th century were damn good shots.... peter VV Sep 13, 2006 10:56 AM Re:

tweetie Why the F*** would they even consider killing such a scarce valuable ecological resource? Did I miss something, or dont is it just that I dont think like a scientist? The Valley Vegan................ I found a shoulder to lean onAn infallible reason to live all by itselfI took one last look from the heights that I once lovedAnd then I ran like hellfraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: well..i guess its nice they didn't kill one...sheeshNew Multicolored Bird Found in IndiaSeptember 13, 2006 — By Associated Press NEW DELHI — A new bird species has been found in India, the first time such a discovery has been made here in more than 50 years, an astronomer and keen bird watcher said Tuesday.

The multicolored bird, Bugun Liocichla, was spotted in May in the remote Eaglenest Wildlife Sanctuary in India's northeastern state of Arunachal Pradesh near the border with China, said Ramana Athreya, a member of Mumbai's Natural History Society. Athreya, who found the bird, named it after the Bugun tribe, which lives in the area. The bird has a black cap, a bright yellow patch around the eyes and yellow, crimson, black and white patches on the wings, he told The Associated Press. Birdlife International, a global alliance of conservation organizations, described it on its Web site Tuesday as "the most sensational ornithological discovery in India for more than half a century." Athreya caught two of the species, but released them after making detailed notes and taking photographs -- and keeping feathers that had worked loose in his net. "We thought the bird was just too rare for one to be killed," Athreya said. "With today's

modern technology, we could gather all the information we needed to confirm it as a new species. We took feathers and photographs and recorded the bird's songs," he said. Though the bird was discovered in May, the news was kept under wraps until it was confirmed that it was a new species. Athreya said he had first briefly spotted the bird in 1995. "But it was only this year I had a sufficiently good look that we could move into the matter." Source: Associated PressIf George Bush said that the Earth was flat, the headline would read, "Views Differ on Shape of the Earth"To send an email to -

its a long standing "tradition" in research.....

they collect "specimens" for further study..and toss em in bio banks and natural history museums

peter VV Sep 13, 2006 11:19 AM Re: tweetie

I thought that being a scientist meant a lot of observation? not gonna learn a lot about the habits off a stiff are you? I guess they thought that they could tell more by dissection than observing an animal in its natural habitat.

The Valley Vegan...............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

has to do with accurately cateloging the poor critter

old mindset

some of the biggest "naturalists" of the 19th century were damn good shots....

peter VV Sep 13, 2006 10:56 AM Re: tweetie

Why the F*** would they even consider killing such a scarce valuable ecological resource?

Did I miss something, or dont is it just that I dont think like a scientist?

The Valley Vegan................

I found a shoulder to lean onAn infallible reason to live all by itselfI took one last look from the heights that I once lovedAnd then I ran like hellfraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

well..i guess its nice they didn't kill one...sheeshNew Multicolored Bird Found in IndiaSeptember 13, 2006 â By Associated Press NEW DELHI â A new bird species has been found in India, the first time such a discovery has been made here in more than 50 years, an astronomer and keen bird watcher said Tuesday. The multicolored bird, Bugun Liocichla, was spotted in May in the remote Eaglenest Wildlife Sanctuary in India's northeastern state of Arunachal Pradesh near the border with China, said Ramana Athreya, a member of Mumbai's Natural History Society. Athreya, who found the bird, named it after the Bugun tribe, which lives in the area. The bird has a black cap, a bright yellow patch around the eyes and yellow, crimson, black and white patches on the wings, he told The Associated Press. Birdlife International, a global alliance of conservation organizations, described it on its Web site Tuesday as "the most sensational ornithological discovery in India for more than half a century." Athreya caught two of the species, but released them after making detailed notes and taking photographs -- and keeping feathers that had worked loose in his net. "We thought the bird was just too rare for one to be killed," Athreya said. "With today's modern technology, we could gather all the information we needed to confirm it as a new species. We took feathers and photographs and recorded the bird's songs," he said. Though the bird was discovered in May, the news was kept under wraps until it was confirmed that it was a new species. Athreya said he had first briefly spotted the bird in 1995. "But it was only this year I had a sufficiently good look that we could move into the matter." Source: Associated PressIf George Bush said that the Earth was flat, the headline would read, "Views Differ on Shape of the Earth"To send an email to -