IndiaDivine.org

Ridiculed for being vegan?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi everyone, my name is Courtney and I'm 22 years old. I've recently stopped eating meat and have been avoiding dairy products and eggs as well. I'm having a hard time dealing with all of the opposition I'm facing. Thanks to all of you out there in cyberspace taking time to read this.

A close friend of mine has been vegetarian for over a year. I'd always been interested in her ability to not have meat and stick to it. I admired it and thought I could do it one day. With that in mind, I started working more frequently with someone who is vegan. He told me all sorts of stories of why he has chosen that way of life but it didn't sink in until I saw PETA's "Meet Your Meat" video. He talked to me about animal cruelty yet I still had butter on my bagel. I felt guilty about it too - and he was like, "Look, I ate meat and cheese too, so I'm not going to judge you for it." I don't preach to my friends and family about why they shouldn't eat meat or eggs or have dairy. I don't. I work at Starbucks and I'm serving this stuff for crying outloud! I just want someone to respect my choices and understand where I'm coming from.

I live at home with my mom and she teases me relentlessly. The other night I was making hashbrowns and she was making eggs. We were both using forks. She said, "Oh Court I used that to stir the eggs" and I was upset. She was kidding around but I didn't like that she was making fun of me. Last night it was, "Hey Court you wanna pick up the pizza?" and she goes "Wait you aren't going to eat any." Statements and critical comments from her drive me crazy and hurt my feelings: "Let's see how long this lasts," and "You'll be back to eating meat in no time." My mom has started to eat my food because it's obviously better than what she's eating - i.e., organic corn chips to go with my organic salsa... a million times better than what she munches on for a snack! She tried my soy cheddar cheese. I haven't had cheese in a long time so to me it tasted pretty good... "This has no flavor!" Does anyone else out there experienc

e this? My girlfriend is very supportive, thank goodness. She offers me food or a bite to eat but then takes it back apologetically.And of course, I hear, "I could never do that!" Well you could if you wanted to. Anyone can do anything they set their mind to. Anyone else deal with this?-Courtney

HI Courtney

I expect your mum is a bit scared that you are changing. It is not logical but it happens. Try to just ignore her teasing, and she will eventually live happily with it. As she is enjoying your food now, she might well eat less and less meat as time goes on.

I know Starbucks has bad press but in my local town it is the only place I can get a decaffeinated soya latte, and a hummous and roast veg baguette - so it's not all bad.

Jo

-

shyswtie28

Friday, September 15, 2006 2:48 PM

Ridiculed for being vegan?

Hi everyone, my name is Courtney and I'm 22 years old. I've recently stopped eating meat and have been avoiding dairy products and eggs as well. I'm having a hard time dealing with all of the opposition I'm facing. Thanks to all of you out there in cyberspace taking time to read this.A close friend of mine has been vegetarian for over a year. I'd always been interested in her ability to not have meat and stick to it. I admired it and thought I could do it one day. With that in mind, I started working more frequently with someone who is vegan. He told me all sorts of stories of why he has chosen that way of life but it didn't sink in until I saw PETA's "Meet Your Meat" video. He talked to me about animal cruelty yet I still had butter on my bagel. I felt guilty about it too - and he was like, "Look, I ate meat and cheese too, so I'm not going to judge you for it." I don't preach to my friends and family about why they shouldn't eat meat or eggs or have dairy. I don't. I work at Starbucks and I'm serving this stuff for crying outloud! I just want someone to respect my choices and understand where I'm coming from. I live at home with my mom and she teases me relentlessly. The other night I was making hashbrowns and she was making eggs. We were both using forks. She said, "Oh Court I used that to stir the eggs" and I was upset. She was kidding around but I didn't like that she was making fun of me. Last night it was, "Hey Court you wanna pick up the pizza?" and she goes "Wait you aren't going to eat any." Statements and critical comments from her drive me crazy and hurt my feelings: "Let's see how long this lasts," and "You'll be back to eating meat in no time." My mom has started to eat my food because it's obviously better than what she's eating - i.e., organic corn chips to go with my organic salsa... a million times better than what she munches on for a snack! She tried my soy cheddar cheese. I haven't had cheese in a long time so to me it tasted pretty good... "This has no flavor!" Does anyone else out there experienc e this? My girlfriend is very supportive, thank goodness. She offers me food or a bite to eat but then takes it back apologetically.And of course, I hear, "I could never do that!" Well you could if you wanted to. Anyone can do anything they set their mind to. Anyone else deal with this?-Courtney

Hi Courtney

Welcome to the list (that goes for all those other folks who've joined us recently too :-))

>I live at home with my mom and she teases me relentlessly. The other night I was making hashbrowns and she was making eggs. We were both using forks. She

> said, "Oh Court I used that to stir the eggs" and I was upset. She was kidding around but I didn't like that she was making fun of me. Last night it was, "Hey

> Court you wanna pick up the pizza?" and she goes "Wait you aren't going to eat any." Statements and critical comments from her drive me crazy and hurt my

> feelings: "Let's see how long this lasts," and "You'll be back to eating meat in no time."

Does she realise that it upsets you? I mean that as a serious question, because a lot of people don't realise how uncomfortable those sort of comments can make people feel - so it might just be worth calmly telling her that you get upset when she does it....

>And of course, I hear, "I could never do that!" Well you could if you wanted to. Anyone can do anything they set their mind to.

>Anyone else deal with this?

Well, I used to be one of those people who said "I'd be vegetarian if I could, but I can't stand vegetables and like the taste of meat... so I could never do it", so I do understand the mind-set of people who say that. Fortunately I learned better, so I know that other people can too if they want to. Now I can't imagine why I would ever have eaten meat - it just doesn't seem like food anymore as far as I'm concerned!

BB

Peter

i would hazard a guess that most folks deal with this, or similar with varying circumstances.

i guess there are varying ways of handling it...depending on how YOU feel, and why they are saying such things

you could just ignore it, try not to take it so personally

er, there's always the direct approach..

"mom, why are you trying to hurt my feelings? i'm doing something that is i portant to me, can you not support that? you always taught me to stand up for what i beleive..."

guilt can be a wonderful thing

hee hee....

fraggle

shyswtie28 Sep 15, 2006 6:48 AM Ridiculed for being vegan? Hi everyone, my name is Courtney and I'm 22 years old. I've recently stopped eating meat and have been avoiding dairy products and eggs as well. I'm having a hard time dealing with all of the opposition I'm facing. Thanks to all of you out there in cyberspace taking time to read this.A close friend of mine has been vegetarian for over a year. I'd always been interested in her ability to not have meat and stick to it. I admired it and thought I could do it one day. With that in mind, I started working more frequently with someone who is vegan. He told me all sorts of stories of why he has chosen that way of life but it didn't sink in until I saw PETA's "Meet Your Meat" video. He talked to me about animal cruelty yet I still had butter on my bagel. I felt guilty about it too - and he was like, "Look, I ate meat and cheese too, so I'm not going to judge you for it." I don't preach to my friends and family about why they shouldn't eat meat or eggs or have dairy. I don't. I work at Starbucks and I'm serving this stuff for crying outloud! I just want someone to respect my choices and understand where I'm coming from. I live at home with my mom and she teases me relentlessly. The other night I was making hashbrowns and she was making eggs. We were both using forks. She said, "Oh Court I used that to stir the eggs" and I was upset. She was kidding around but I didn't like that she was making fun of me. Last night it was, "Hey Court you wanna pick up the pizza?" and she goes "Wait you aren't going to eat any." Statements and critical comments from her drive me crazy and hurt my feelings: "Let's see how long this lasts," and "You'll be back to eating meat in no time." My mom has started to eat my food because it's obviously better than what she's eating - i.e., organic corn chips to go with my organic salsa... a million times better than what she munches on for a snack! She tried my soy cheddar cheese. I haven't had cheese in a long time so to me it tasted pretty good... "This has no flavor!" Does anyone else out there experienc e this? My girlfriend is very supportive, thank goodness. She offers me food or a bite to eat but then takes it back apologetically.And of course, I hear, "I could never do that!" Well you could if you wanted to. Anyone can do anything they set their mind to. Anyone else deal with this?-Courtney

Until lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always

glorify the hunter

Sounds like your mother is only teasing cause she loves you and does not think that she is hurting you. The only way to stop it is to tell her that it upsets you, and ask her to stop? People who say they could never do that, usually mean they couldnt care less to do that, and are unwilling to listen. Dont take any of the crap to heart,stick to your guns and live a compasionate , healthy, life, safe in the knowledge that you are doing this tired old planet less harm than a lot of people. The Valley Vegan..............shyswtie28 wrote: Hi everyone, my name is Courtney and I'm 22 years old. I've recently stopped eating meat and have been avoiding dairy products and eggs as well. I'm having a hard time dealing with all of the opposition I'm facing. Thanks to

all of you out there in cyberspace taking time to read this.A close friend of mine has been vegetarian for over a year. I'd always been interested in her ability to not have meat and stick to it. I admired it and thought I could do it one day. With that in mind, I started working more frequently with someone who is vegan. He told me all sorts of stories of why he has chosen that way of life but it didn't sink in until I saw PETA's "Meet Your Meat" video. He talked to me about animal cruelty yet I still had butter on my bagel. I felt guilty about it too - and he was like, "Look, I ate meat and cheese too, so I'm not going to judge you for it." I don't preach to my friends and family about why they shouldn't eat meat or eggs or have dairy. I don't. I work at Starbucks and I'm serving this stuff for crying outloud! I just want someone to respect my choices and understand where I'm coming from. I

live at home with my mom and she teases me relentlessly. The other night I was making hashbrowns and she was making eggs. We were both using forks. She said, "Oh Court I used that to stir the eggs" and I was upset. She was kidding around but I didn't like that she was making fun of me. Last night it was, "Hey Court you wanna pick up the pizza?" and she goes "Wait you aren't going to eat any." Statements and critical comments from her drive me crazy and hurt my feelings: "Let's see how long this lasts," and "You'll be back to eating meat in no time." My mom has started to eat my food because it's obviously better than what she's eating - i.e., organic corn chips to go with my organic salsa... a million times better than what she munches on for a snack! She tried my soy cheddar cheese. I haven't had cheese in a long time so to me it tasted pretty good... "This has no flavor!" Does anyone else out there

experienc e this? My girlfriend is very supportive, thank goodness. She offers me food or a bite to eat but then takes it back apologetically.And of course, I hear, "I could never do that!" Well you could if you wanted to. Anyone can do anything they set their mind to. Anyone else deal with this?-Courtney Peter H

All New Mail – Tired of Vi@gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you.

Hi Courtney and WELCOME!

You are far from being alone. I think that every one of us here has

dealt with this behavior at one time or another and some still do. My

Gramma (and other realatives) still asks me from time to time " Are you

still eating that same way " ? LOL

They don't do it out of rudeness or judgement, but more out of a lack

of understanding of my choices. And I know that they mean no harm, but

they are worried all the same.

I like what your friend said about not judging. I feel very much the

same way. Who am I to judge another on what they do or not do? I

simply try to educate them on my choices and the industry as a whole.

Your Mom is probably just worried about you and I think that it is a

good step forward that she is trying some of your foods. It may be

hard for her to be as supportive as you would like because she

probably does not understand why you are doing this. So it will take time.

And unfortunately you will always be faced with people who do not

understand why you have chosen this path in life. But then again that

could be said for anything you do. LOL

We're here for you if you need an ear to listen, shoulder to lean on

or place to vent. :)

CONGRATS and Thank You on your decision to go Vegan. :)

Nikki

, shyswtie28 wrote:

>

> Hi everyone, my name is Courtney and I'm 22 years old. I've

recently stopped eating meat and have been avoiding dairy products and

eggs as well. I'm having a hard time dealing with all of the

opposition I'm facing. Thanks to all of you out there in cyberspace

taking time to read this.

>

> A close friend of mine has been vegetarian for over a year. I'd

always been interested in her ability to not have meat and stick to

it. I admired it and thought I could do it one day. With that in

mind, I started working more frequently with someone who is vegan. He

told me all sorts of stories of why he has chosen that way of life but

it didn't sink in until I saw PETA's " Meet Your Meat " video. He

talked to me about animal cruelty yet I still had butter on my bagel.

I felt guilty about it too - and he was like, " Look, I ate meat and

cheese too, so I'm not going to judge you for it. " I don't preach to

my friends and family about why they shouldn't eat meat or eggs or

have dairy. I don't. I work at Starbucks and I'm serving this stuff

for crying outloud! I just want someone to respect my choices and

understand where I'm coming from.

>

> I live at home with my mom and she teases me relentlessly. The

other night I was making hashbrowns and she was making eggs. We were

both using forks. She said, " Oh Court I used that to stir the eggs "

and I was upset. She was kidding around but I didn't like that she

was making fun of me. Last night it was, " Hey Court you wanna pick up

the pizza? " and she goes " Wait you aren't going to eat any. "

Statements and critical comments from her drive me crazy and hurt my

feelings: " Let's see how long this lasts, " and " You'll be back to

eating meat in no time. " My mom has started to eat my food because

it's obviously better than what she's eating - i.e., organic corn

chips to go with my organic salsa... a million times better than what

she munches on for a snack! She tried my soy cheddar cheese. I

haven't had cheese in a long time so to me it tasted pretty good...

" This has no flavor! " Does anyone else out there experience this? My

girlfriend is very supportive, thank goodness. She offers me food or

a bite to eat but then takes it back apologetically.

>

> And of course, I hear, " I could never do that! " Well you could if

you wanted to. Anyone can do anything they set their mind to.

>

> Anyone else deal with this?

>

> -Courtney

>

Hi Courtney,

I agree with what has already been said that it would be a good idea

to point out to your mum that her teasing is hurting you and that you

are sticking to your principles. Hopefully she'll see that supporting

your choice is better for you both than constantly ridiculing your

beliefs.

I've come across all sorts of reactions to being vegan, from

understanding and interest to misunderstanding and constant digs.

Many people like to make fun of things they don't understand, it's

their way of coping with it, but most change their attitude when they

do understand. Talk to your mum about it :)

Eco

, shyswtie28 wrote:

>

> Hi everyone, my name is Courtney and I'm 22 years old. I've

recently stopped eating meat and have been avoiding dairy products

and eggs as well. I'm having a hard time dealing with all of the

opposition I'm facing. Thanks to all of you out there in cyberspace

taking time to read this.

>

> A close friend of mine has been vegetarian for over a year. I'd

always been interested in her ability to not have meat and stick to

it. I admired it and thought I could do it one day. With that in

mind, I started working more frequently with someone who is vegan.

He told me all sorts of stories of why he has chosen that way of life

but it didn't sink in until I saw PETA's " Meet Your Meat " video. He

talked to me about animal cruelty yet I still had butter on my

bagel. I felt guilty about it too - and he was like, " Look, I ate

meat and cheese too, so I'm not going to judge you for it. " I don't

preach to my friends and family about why they shouldn't eat meat or

eggs or have dairy. I don't. I work at Starbucks and I'm serving

this stuff for crying outloud! I just want someone to respect my

choices and understand where I'm coming from.

>

> I live at home with my mom and she teases me relentlessly. The

other night I was making hashbrowns and she was making eggs. We were

both using forks. She said, " Oh Court I used that to stir the eggs "

and I was upset. She was kidding around but I didn't like that she

was making fun of me. Last night it was, " Hey Court you wanna pick

up the pizza? " and she goes " Wait you aren't going to eat any. "

Statements and critical comments from her drive me crazy and hurt my

feelings: " Let's see how long this lasts, " and " You'll be back to

eating meat in no time. " My mom has started to eat my food because

it's obviously better than what she's eating - i.e., organic corn

chips to go with my organic salsa... a million times better than what

she munches on for a snack! She tried my soy cheddar cheese. I

haven't had cheese in a long time so to me it tasted pretty

good... " This has no flavor! " Does anyone else out there experience

this? My girlfriend is very supportive, thank goodness. She offers

me food or a bite to eat but then takes it back apologetically.

>

> And of course, I hear, " I could never do that! " Well you could if

you wanted to. Anyone can do anything they set their mind to.

>

> Anyone else deal with this?

>

> -Courtney

>