IndiaDivine.org

UK Vegan Society faces troubled times

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Its a sad post, but this is what I had in the post today : Dear Vegan Society Member, We are a group of active Vegan Society members who want the society to flourish. We believe that the society`s potential is being held back by a severe and continuing crisis that only a change of leadership andculture can cure. Why do we believe this? Staff turnover is unacceptably high and is currently running above 50%. All are resignations. Eight staff resigned in the last year alone, more than are currently employed. The last three CEOs resigned in quick succession. The society currently has no Chief Executive. Five motions submitted to this years AGM have had text removed by the Company Secretary despite their format being in line with the submission guidelines. This has been against the wishes of the proposers and in some cases without their knowledge. Intimations of legal action against the

Society and indiciduals have been madse in relation to the motion to remove a trustee, despite the fact that the members are excercising rights clearly stated in the Vegans Society's Articles of Association. A potential benefactor, James Gorman, offered between £100,000 and £300,000 to help the Society to move to new premises, but felt compelled to withdraw the offer after losing faith in the ability of the current leadership to use his donation effectively, particularly concerning staff treatment and retention. Communication with the membership has been diminished. Well-used and popular forums and a members chat group hve been discontinued and copies of the minutes of Vegan Society Council meetings are no longer available by email. The Vegan Society is governed by its Council, which consists of trustees elected by the members of the Vegan Society. Trustees should set a charity's strategic objectives and delegate to its

employees and volunteers to implement these. Problems between staff and particular trustees, and also within the Council itself, have been aparent for several years. All attempts to resolve them - including governance training and a day with a psychologist - have failed. The only remaining solution is for the membership to make informed desisions and to vote for increased openness and accountabilty. It then goes on to list the names of the group that put the letter together, and their positions and when they left. It is obviously a political agenda, and goes on to list positions and electoral candidates, but nevertheless, does paint a gloomy picture. What do you guys think? P.S. my wife typed this for me as it is a bit long for my two fingered skills - thanks love. The Valley Vegan.............. Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

Hi Peter

Sad! It's hard to say whether the breakaaway group is right or the remaining Vegan Society is right. Maybe you should answer the email asking for more information on what they want and propose etc. If you enter into dialogue with them you might find out more. You could also forward it to The Vegan Society for their comments.

Jo

-

peter VV

Thursday, October 05, 2006 6:11 PM

Re: UK Vegan Society faces troubled times

Its a sad post, but this is what I had in the post today :

Dear Vegan Society Member, We are a group of active Vegan Society members who want the society to flourish. We believe that the society`s potential is being held back by a severe and continuing crisis that only a change of leadership andculture can cure.

Why do we believe this?

Staff turnover is unacceptably high and is currently running above 50%. All are resignations. Eight staff resigned in the last year alone, more than are currently employed.

The last three CEOs resigned in quick succession. The society currently has no Chief Executive.

Five motions submitted to this years AGM have had text removed by the Company Secretary despite their format being in line with the submission guidelines. This has been against the wishes of the proposers and in some cases without their knowledge.

Intimations of legal action against the Society and indiciduals have been madse in relation to the motion to remove a trustee, despite the fact that the members are excercising rights clearly stated in the Vegans Society's Articles of Association.

A potential benefactor, James Gorman, offered between £100,000 and £300,000 to help the Society to move to new premises, but felt compelled to withdraw the offer after losing faith in the ability of the current leadership to use his donation effectively, particularly concerning staff treatment and retention.

Communication with the membership has been diminished. Well-used and popular forums and a members chat group hve been discontinued and copies of the minutes of Vegan Society Council meetings are no longer available by email.

The Vegan Society is governed by its Council, which consists of trustees elected by the members of the Vegan Society. Trustees should set a charity's strategic objectives and delegate to its employees and volunteers to implement these.

Problems between staff and particular trustees, and also within the Council itself, have been aparent for several years. All attempts to resolve them - including governance training and a day with a psychologist - have failed. The only remaining solution is for the membership to make informed desisions and to vote for increased openness and accountabilty.

It then goes on to list the names of the group that put the letter together, and their positions and when they left. It is obviously a political agenda, and goes on to list positions and electoral candidates, but nevertheless, does paint a gloomy picture. What do you guys think?

P.S. my wife typed this for me as it is a bit long for my two fingered skills - thanks love.

The Valley Vegan..............

Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

They sent a letter and what they propose boils down to accusations of almost nepotism and bullying in the past, they want this to end and have more accountability and transparency. > The annual report implies that some employee resignations have been caused by the uncertanty over the Society`s planned relocation. In fact, none of those resigning is known to have claimed this as a major factor. Many of them, including former staff who have signed this letter have cited the treatment of staff by some council trustees as a significant factor in their decision to leave. It goes on: The Vegan Society is financially stable, has a long history and still has some excellent and dedicated staff. It has a unique place in the vegetarian and animal rights movement with huge potential. However, the Society is not growing and its profile is low. This can change with a more open, progressive and positive culture.< The proposals are a 75% majority required on special resolutions and 50% on ordinary issues, non confidential minutes being available via the internet, the issue of relations voting on same issues, a new section in the vegan magazine ( sent to all members ) dedicated to keeping members appraised of current projects, including whats being debated at council meetings, and particular enquiries ( perhaps from the media ) that members would be interested in hearing more about. That the vegan society advertises in Jan 2007 for a full time post of Education Officer to provide school talks, interperet veganism to children, liase with schools and act as a consultant. Removal of one of the members of the council - one that it is alledged is responsable for the lowering of morale and ultimately resignations ( I hope that one isnt a witch hunt, although it does seem to have a number of people putting their names to the

claim) I just find it sad, and it does seem as though the vegan society seems to be stagnating in the last couple of years. The Valley Vegan............... jo <jo.heartwork wrote: Hi Peter Sad! It's hard to say whether the breakaaway group is right or the remaining Vegan Society is right. Maybe you should answer the email asking for more information on what they want and propose etc. If you enter into dialogue with them you might find out more. You could also forward it to The Vegan Society for their comments. Jo - peter VV Thursday, October 05, 2006 6:11 PM Re: UK Vegan Society faces troubled times Its a sad post, but this is what I had in the post today : Dear Vegan Society Member, We are a group of active Vegan Society members who want the society

to flourish. We believe that the society`s potential is being held back by a severe and continuing crisis that only a change of leadership andculture can cure. Why do we believe this? Staff turnover is unacceptably high and is currently running above 50%. All are resignations. Eight staff resigned in the last year alone, more than are currently employed. The last three CEOs resigned in quick succession. The society currently has no Chief Executive. Five motions submitted to this years AGM have had text removed by the Company Secretary despite their format being in line with the submission guidelines. This has been against the wishes of the proposers and in some cases without their knowledge. Intimations of legal action against the Society and indiciduals have been madse in relation to the motion to remove a trustee, despite the fact that the members are excercising rights clearly stated in the Vegans

Society's Articles of Association. A potential benefactor, James Gorman, offered between £100,000 and £300,000 to help the Society to move to new premises, but felt compelled to withdraw the offer after losing faith in the ability of the current leadership to use his donation effectively, particularly concerning staff treatment and retention. Communication with the membership has been diminished. Well-used and popular forums and a members chat group hve been discontinued and copies of the minutes of Vegan Society Council meetings are no longer available by email. The Vegan Society is governed by its Council, which consists of trustees elected by the members of the Vegan Society. Trustees should set a charity's strategic objectives and delegate to its employees and volunteers to implement these. Problems between staff and particular trustees, and also within the Council itself, have been aparent for several

years. All attempts to resolve them - including governance training and a day with a psychologist - have failed. The only remaining solution is for the membership to make informed desisions and to vote for increased openness and accountabilty. It then goes on to list the names of the group that put the letter together, and their positions and when they left. It is obviously a political agenda, and goes on to list positions and electoral candidates, but nevertheless, does paint a gloomy picture. What do you guys think? P.S. my wife typed this for me as it is a bit long for my two fingered skills - thanks love. The Valley Vegan.............. Peter H To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre. Peter H

The all-new Mail goes wherever you go - free your email address from your Internet provider.

Hi Peter

I always get suspicious when I see things like this filled with veiled references, and no actual substance. There's nothing in there to give any details as to what the disagreements are, which to me implies that the people concerned either know that most people would see them as petty, or that there are just personality clashes. If there is something that we should be concerned about, in terms of the management of the society, then they should stop waving veiled allegations around and plainly state what they dislike.

As to the vegan society e-mail discussion group being closed down - that was because they had a moderator who allowed his friends to talk about whatever they liked, but immediately banned other people when they said anything that was even vaguely off topic. Not only that, he already had a record on the vegetarian society e-mail list of being a trouble-maker before the vegan society list was thought of. I actually complained in writing to the Vegan Society about him, and I suspect I wasn't alone as he was clearly not capable of moderating a group fairly.

BB

Peter

-

peter VV

Thursday, October 05, 2006 6:11 PM

Re: UK Vegan Society faces troubled times

Its a sad post, but this is what I had in the post today :

Dear Vegan Society Member, We are a group of active Vegan Society members who want the society to flourish. We believe that the society`s potential is being held back by a severe and continuing crisis that only a change of leadership andculture can cure.

Why do we believe this?

Staff turnover is unacceptably high and is currently running above 50%. All are resignations. Eight staff resigned in the last year alone, more than are currently employed.

The last three CEOs resigned in quick succession. The society currently has no Chief Executive.

Five motions submitted to this years AGM have had text removed by the Company Secretary despite their format being in line with the submission guidelines. This has been against the wishes of the proposers and in some cases without their knowledge.

Intimations of legal action against the Society and indiciduals have been madse in relation to the motion to remove a trustee, despite the fact that the members are excercising rights clearly stated in the Vegans Society's Articles of Association.

A potential benefactor, James Gorman, offered between £100,000 and £300,000 to help the Society to move to new premises, but felt compelled to withdraw the offer after losing faith in the ability of the current leadership to use his donation effectively, particularly concerning staff treatment and retention.

Communication with the membership has been diminished. Well-used and popular forums and a members chat group hve been discontinued and copies of the minutes of Vegan Society Council meetings are no longer available by email.

The Vegan Society is governed by its Council, which consists of trustees elected by the members of the Vegan Society. Trustees should set a charity's strategic objectives and delegate to its employees and volunteers to implement these.

Problems between staff and particular trustees, and also within the Council itself, have been aparent for several years. All attempts to resolve them - including governance training and a day with a psychologist - have failed. The only remaining solution is for the membership to make informed desisions and to vote for increased openness and accountabilty.

It then goes on to list the names of the group that put the letter together, and their positions and when they left. It is obviously a political agenda, and goes on to list positions and electoral candidates, but nevertheless, does paint a gloomy picture. What do you guys think?

P.S. my wife typed this for me as it is a bit long for my two fingered skills - thanks love.

The Valley Vegan..............

Peter H

, peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

>

> They sent a letter and what they propose boils down to accusations

of almost nepotism and bullying in the past, they want this to end

and have more accountability and transparency.

> > The annual report implies that some employee resignations have

been caused by the uncertanty over the Society`s planned relocation.

In fact, none of those resigning is known to have claimed this as a

major factor. Many of them, including former staff who have signed

this letter have cited the treatment of staff by some council

trustees as a significant factor in their decision to leave.

> It goes on:

> The Vegan Society is financially stable, has a long history and

still has some excellent and dedicated staff. It has a unique place

in the vegetarian and animal rights movement with huge potential.

However, the Society is not growing and its profile is low. This can

change with a more open, progressive and positive culture.<

> The proposals are a 75% majority required on special resolutions

and 50% on ordinary issues,

> non confidential minutes being available via the internet, the

issue of relations voting on same issues,

> a new section in the vegan magazine ( sent to all members )

dedicated to keeping members appraised of current projects, including

whats being debated at council meetings, and particular enquiries (

perhaps from the media ) that members would be interested in hearing

more about.

> That the vegan society advertises in Jan 2007 for a full time

post of Education Officer to provide school talks, interperet

veganism to children, liase with schools and act as a consultant.

> Removal of one of the members of the council - one that it is

alledged is responsable for the lowering of morale and ultimately

resignations ( I hope that one isnt a witch hunt, although it does

seem to have a number of people putting their names to the claim)

>

> I just find it sad, and it does seem as though the vegan society

seems to be stagnating in the last couple of years.

>

> The Valley Vegan...............

>

>

> jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

> Hi Peter

>

> Sad! It's hard to say whether the breakaaway group is right or

the remaining Vegan Society is right. Maybe you should answer the

email asking for more information on what they want and propose etc.

If you enter into dialogue with them you might find out more. You

could also forward it to The Vegan Society for their comments.

>

> Jo

> -

> peter VV

>

> Thursday, October 05, 2006 6:11 PM

> Re: UK Vegan Society faces troubled times

>

>

>

> Its a sad post, but this is what I had in the post today :

> Dear Vegan Society Member, We are a group of active Vegan Society

members who want the society to flourish. We believe that the

society`s potential is being held back by a severe and continuing

crisis that only a change of leadership andculture can cure.

> Why do we believe this?

> Staff turnover is unacceptably high and is currently running

above 50%. All are resignations. Eight staff resigned in the last

year alone, more than are currently employed.

> The last three CEOs resigned in quick succession. The society

currently has no Chief Executive.

> Five motions submitted to this years AGM have had text removed by

the Company Secretary despite their format being in line with the

submission guidelines. This has been against the wishes of the

proposers and in some cases without their knowledge.

> Intimations of legal action against the Society and indiciduals

have been madse in relation to the motion to remove a trustee,

despite the fact that the members are excercising rights clearly

stated in the Vegans Society's Articles of Association.

> A potential benefactor, James Gorman, offered between £100,000

and £300,000 to help the Society to move to new premises, but felt

compelled to withdraw the offer after losing faith in the ability of

the current leadership to use his donation effectively, particularly

concerning staff treatment and retention.

> Communication with the membership has been diminished. Well-used

and popular forums and a members chat group hve been discontinued and

copies of the minutes of Vegan Society Council meetings are no longer

available by email.

> The Vegan Society is governed by its Council, which consists of

trustees elected by the members of the Vegan Society. Trustees

should set a charity's strategic objectives and delegate to its

employees and volunteers to implement these.

> Problems between staff and particular trustees, and also within

the Council itself, have been aparent for several years. All

attempts to resolve them - including governance training and a day

with a psychologist - have failed. The only remaining solution is

for the membership to make informed desisions and to vote for

increased openness and accountabilty.

> It then goes on to list the names of the group that put the

letter together, and their positions and when they left. It is

obviously a political agenda, and goes on to list positions and

electoral candidates, but nevertheless, does paint a gloomy picture.

What do you guys think?

> P.S. my wife typed this for me as it is a bit long for my two

fingered skills - thanks love.

>

> The Valley Vegan..............

>

>

> Peter H

>

>

>

> To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all

new Security Centre.

>

>

> Peter H

>

>

>

>

> The all-new Mail goes wherever you go - free your email

address from your Internet provider.

>

I just had the voting forms in the post for the council elections and it seems that this vien is continued, as most of the candidates have added to their profiles : To bring back harmony and trust Donald Watson personified, vote for openness, integrity and passionate veganising through those of us who are not threatened by diversity. Vote for progress, revitalisation, and growth. Now that comment about diversity does bother me, as it is obviously pointed at someone, and usually refers to lack of understanding/tollerance of other races/sexual preferances / lifestyles etc.., which together with the high turnover of staff, would seem to be a major ( percieved ) problem? The Valley Vegan..................... Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Peter I always get suspicious when I see things like this filled with veiled references, and no actual substance. There's nothing in there to give any details as to what the disagreements are, which to me implies that the people concerned either know that most people would see them as petty, or that there are just personality clashes. If there is something that we should be concerned about, in terms of the management of the society, then they should stop waving veiled allegations around and plainly state what they dislike. As to the vegan society e-mail discussion group being closed down - that was because they had a moderator who allowed his friends to talk

about whatever they liked, but immediately banned other people when they said anything that was even vaguely off topic. Not only that, he already had a record on the vegetarian society e-mail list of being a trouble-maker before the vegan society list was thought of. I actually complained in writing to the Vegan Society about him, and I suspect I wasn't alone as he was clearly not capable of moderating a group fairly. BB Peter - peter VV To:

Thursday, October 05, 2006 6:11 PM Re: UK Vegan Society faces troubled times Its a sad post, but this is what I had in the post today : Dear Vegan Society Member, We are a group of active Vegan Society members who want the society to flourish. We believe that the society`s potential is being held back by a severe and continuing crisis that only a change of leadership andculture can cure. Why do we believe this? Staff turnover is unacceptably high and is currently running above 50%. All are resignations. Eight staff resigned in the last year alone, more than are currently employed. The last three CEOs resigned in quick succession. The society currently has no Chief

Executive. Five motions submitted to this years AGM have had text removed by the Company Secretary despite their format being in line with the submission guidelines. This has been against the wishes of the proposers and in some cases without their knowledge. Intimations of legal action against the Society and indiciduals have been madse in relation to the motion to remove a trustee, despite the fact that the members are excercising rights clearly stated in the Vegans Society's Articles of Association. A potential benefactor, James Gorman, offered between £100,000 and £300,000 to help the Society to move to new premises, but felt compelled to withdraw the offer after losing faith in the ability of the current leadership to use his donation effectively, particularly concerning staff treatment and retention. Communication with the membership has been diminished. Well-used and popular forums and a members chat group

hve been discontinued and copies of the minutes of Vegan Society Council meetings are no longer available by email. The Vegan Society is governed by its Council, which consists of trustees elected by the members of the Vegan Society. Trustees should set a charity's strategic objectives and delegate to its employees and volunteers to implement these. Problems between staff and particular trustees, and also within the Council itself, have been aparent for several years. All attempts to resolve them - including governance training and a day with a psychologist - have failed. The only remaining solution is for the membership to make informed desisions and to vote for increased openness and accountabilty. It then goes on to list the names of the group that put the letter together, and their positions and when they left. It is obviously a political agenda, and goes on to list positions and electoral candidates,

but nevertheless, does paint a gloomy picture. What do you guys think? P.S. my wife typed this for me as it is a bit long for my two fingered skills - thanks love. The Valley Vegan.............. Peter H To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre. Peter H

Inbox full of spam? Get leading spam protection and 1GB storage with All New Mail.