IndiaDivine.org

Silicon Veggie

Rate this topic

Guest guest

A Tale of Two Vegan Restaurants By Elisa Camahort IN NEXT month's column, you will learn about my first 30 days as a vegan, and I will share many of the wonderful suggestions I am continuing to get from Silicon Veggie readers on how to successfully shift from my current vegetarian state to a vegan state. I have restaurants, and recipes, and cookbooks, and even visualizations to share on behalf of numerous readers who shared their thoughts—even when they weren't always vegans themselves! But this month I'm going to share something I learned about my own taste in vegan foods from recent visits to two reader-recommended vegan restaurants. The restaurants are doors apart in Berkeley, so

they're admittedly not so convenient for South Bay folks. But the point is not to review the restaurants themselves, but to talk about their style of vegan food preparation. First I visited Cha-Ya, a vegan Japanese place. Then I visited Café Gratitude, a vegan, raw foods restaurant. Since I am a fan of the fake meat dishes one finds at vegan Chinese places, I thought I would prefer Café Gratitude, because they use vegan ingredients and raw food "cooking" techniques to emulate "regular" food. Instead I discovered that my favorite foods at Café Gratitude were ones that were already vegan—foods like their hummus and a truly wonderful Thai coconut soup. When, on the other hand, an attempt was made to make vegan versions of traditionally nonvegan dishes, such as pâté or coconut "cream" pie, I was put off by the difference in texture and taste. Meanwhile over at Cha-Ya all the vegetables are left looking like vegetables. By not trying to

emulate any kind of meat, whether via wheat gluten, soybean or mushroom, Cha-Ya challenged itself to be creative and to offer more variety of natural ingredients and fresh produce. I was impressed to be anywhere where two vegan restaurants were within a few steps of one another. I'm discovering there are more such restaurants in our neck of the woods than I realized, so, thanks to my readers, next month I will tell you about multiple vegan options in downtown San Jose, and up the peninsula. Most of them are based on Asian cuisines. You can find vegan in just about every town from Palo Alto to San Jose, which is a comforting discovery. Stay tuned for more vegan action next month! Send a letter to the editor about this story. The Valley Vegan.............Peter H

The all-new Mail goes wherever you go - free your email address from your Internet provider.

cha ya...rebecca's fave place to go....

peter VV Oct 5, 2006 10:28 AM Re: Silicon Veggie

A Tale of Two Vegan Restaurants

By Elisa Camahort

IN NEXT month's column, you will learn about my first 30 days as a vegan, and I will share many of the wonderful suggestions I am continuing to get from Silicon Veggie readers on how to successfully shift from my current vegetarian state to a vegan state. I have restaurants, and recipes, and cookbooks, and even visualizations to share on behalf of numerous readers who shared their thoughtseven when they weren't always vegans themselves!

But this month I'm going to share something I learned about my own taste in vegan foods from recent visits to two reader-recommended vegan restaurants. The restaurants are doors apart in Berkeley, so they're admittedly not so convenient for South Bay folks. But the point is not to review the restaurants themselves, but to talk about their style of vegan food preparation.

First I visited Cha-Ya, a vegan Japanese place. Then I visited Café Gratitude, a vegan, raw foods restaurant.

Since I am a fan of the fake meat dishes one finds at vegan Chinese places, I thought I would prefer Café Gratitude, because they use vegan ingredients and raw food "cooking" techniques to emulate "regular" food. Instead I discovered that my favorite foods at Café Gratitude were ones that were already veganfoods like their hummus and a truly wonderful Thai coconut soup. When, on the other hand, an attempt was made to make vegan versions of traditionally nonvegan dishes, such as pâté or coconut "cream" pie, I was put off by the difference in texture and taste.

Meanwhile over at Cha-Ya all the vegetables are left looking like vegetables. By not trying to emulate any kind of meat, whether via wheat gluten, soybean or mushroom, Cha-Ya challenged itself to be creative and to offer more variety of natural ingredients and fresh produce.

I was impressed to be anywhere where two vegan restaurants were within a few steps of one another. I'm discovering there are more such restaurants in our neck of the woods than I realized, so, thanks to my readers, next month I will tell you about multiple vegan options in downtown San Jose, and up the peninsula. Most of them are based on Asian cuisines. You can find vegan in just about every town from Palo Alto to San Jose, which is a comforting discovery. Stay tuned for more vegan action next month!

Send a letter to the editor about this story.

The Valley Vegan.............

Peter H

The all-new Mail goes wherever you go - free your email address from your Internet provider.

As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. William O. Douglas

• 3 months later...

By Elisa Camahort WHEN I put out my call for recommendations to help me go vegan, I mentioned where I most needed help: "Someone please tell me a good replacement for cheese—it's my downfall every time!!" Some folks gave me substitute cheese recommendations, while others gave me alternatives to cheese altogether, including mental images to associate with cheese to turn me off the stuff. Metro reader Elaine recommends buying

Galaxy Nutritional Foods cheeses at the Country Sun market in Palo Alto. Meanwhile, Caroline has both a brand recommendation (Follow Your Heart) and a recipe for a cheese sauce alternative with nutritional yeast as the primary ingredient. Nutritional yeast was also recommended by Nick, who makes sauces with it but also sprinkles it on foods to add nutrition and flavor. I have my own nutritional yeast recipe, torn out of a PETA magazine 15 years ago, that I use as gravy. I've also ground it up with nuts to make a topping for pasta. Nutritional yeast is a great twofer ingredient, since it is both savory and vitamin-fortified. Speaking of cheese replacement, vegans swear by the Uncheese Cookbook by Jo Stepaniak. Joe from New Jersey did have some cheese brands to recommend (Vegan Gourmet for regular cheeses and Soymage for a grated parmesan alternative), but his advice for getting busy in the kitchen was the Uncheese Cookbook. Noelle also eschews

buying "fake" cheeses and whips up her own using the book. I was very intrigued, but it's not a cookbook full of alternative ways to make common cheesy dishes. I expected recipes for mac and cheese, etc., using other ingredients to replicate cheesiness. There are some recipes like that, but mostly this is a book for making "fake" cheeses of various consistencies and flavors. You cannot imagine the varieties of "cheeses" in this book, and the panoply of ingredients required to make them! Several readers above gave me practical recommendations, but also reminded me why I made this decision: to stop supporting inhumane industries. They reminded me about the veal industry, and how it is kept fully supplied by constantly pregnant dairy cows. Drawing a connection between rich, melted cheese and a baby cow in a small and filthy crate converts the image from rich to revolting. So, thanks to those who have written with ideas, recommendations

and encouragement. I'm past day 90 of this attempt at veganism, and this is the easiest try ever. In fact, I'd say I've gone way past "attempt" and simply "am" a vegan now! Send a letter to the editor about this story. Peter H

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Those mental images she talks about are really helpful! I cannot look at a glass of milk without thinking " cow pus " .

Yuck.

So who has these nutritional yeast recipes and would like to share them????

blessings,

sharon

On 1/6/07, peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

By Elisa Camahort

WHEN I put out my call for recommendations to help me go vegan, I mentioned where I most needed help: " Someone please tell me a good replacement for cheese—it's my downfall every time!! " Some folks gave me substitute cheese recommendations, while others gave me alternatives to cheese altogether, including mental images to associate with cheese to turn me off the stuff.

Metro reader Elaine recommends buying Galaxy Nutritional Foods cheeses at the Country Sun market in Palo Alto. Meanwhile, Caroline has both a brand recommendation (Follow Your Heart) and a recipe for a cheese sauce alternative with nutritional yeast as the primary ingredient. Nutritional yeast was also recommended by Nick, who makes sauces with it but also sprinkles it on foods to add nutrition and flavor. I have my own nutritional yeast recipe, torn out of a PETA magazine 15 years ago, that I use as gravy. I've also ground it up with nuts to make a topping for pasta. Nutritional yeast is a great twofer ingredient, since it is both savory and vitamin-fortified.

Speaking of cheese replacement, vegans swear by the Uncheese Cookbook by Jo Stepaniak. Joe from New Jersey did have some cheese brands to recommend (Vegan Gourmet for regular cheeses and Soymage for a grated parmesan alternative), but his advice for getting busy in the kitchen was the Uncheese Cookbook. Noelle also eschews buying " fake " cheeses and whips up her own using the book.

I was very intrigued, but it's not a cookbook full of alternative ways to make common cheesy dishes. I expected recipes for mac and cheese, etc., using other ingredients to replicate cheesiness. There are some recipes like that, but mostly this is a book for making " fake " cheeses of various consistencies and flavors. You cannot imagine the varieties of " cheeses " in this book, and the panoply of ingredients required to make them!

Several readers above gave me practical recommendations, but also reminded me why I made this decision: to stop supporting inhumane industries. They reminded me about the veal industry, and how it is kept fully supplied by constantly pregnant dairy cows. Drawing a connection between rich, melted cheese and a baby cow in a small and filthy crate converts the image from rich to revolting.

So, thanks to those who have written with ideas, recommendations and encouragement. I'm past day 90 of this attempt at veganism, and this is the easiest try ever. In fact, I'd say I've gone way past " attempt " and simply " am " a vegan now!

Send a letter to the editor about this story.

Peter H

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

• 1 month later...

The Internet has become an incredible resource for prospective veg*ns (vegetarian/vegan), whether they're looking for recipes, nutritional information, humane products or inspiring stories. Here are some favorites: All-Around Veg*n Goodness Bay Area Vegetarians (www.bayareaveg.org): This local restaurant guide is a can't-miss—and they update it based on community votes constantly. GoVeg.com (www.goveg.com/index.aspx): This is PETA's vegan site, so it's as comprehensive as you'd expect. SuperVegan (http://supervegan.com): The restaurant guide is strictly New York

City-based, but the rest of the site is universal. Vegan Action (http://vegan.org): Lots of info on the philosophy and practicalities involved with going vegan. VegNews (http://vegnews.com): Check the marketplace section. VegNews is an awesome magazine, not just for the articles and recipes, but because every single advertisement is of interest to me! How often can you say that? Vegetarian Times (http://vegetariantimes.com): Also the web presence of a magazine, but in this case it's an even more comprehensive site, with unique online content. Many of the above sites include links to sites that sell vegan clothing, shoes, belts, cosmetics, etc., so you can spend time shopping while you're learning! Recipes Compassionate Cooks (www.compassionatecooks.com): This local vegan chef produces a popular podcast, so you can listen to her "cooking show." Fat

Free Vegan Recipes (http://fatfreevegan.com) provides a comprehensive interactive index of vegan recipes (and as the name implies, healthy ones). They also have a blog. Kaji's Mom is also transitioning to vegan, and documenting her recipes (http://kajismom.blogspot.com/index.html). Vegan LunchBox (http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com): Every day this blogger records what she sent her son off to school with in his lunchbox, takes a picture of it and then also records his reaction to the various menu offerings. If you've got kids, this is the site for you (and heck, I'd eat most of this stuff myself). Finally, there's my online journal of my transition from vegetarian to vegan, titled Veggie Goes Vegan (http://elisac.vox.com). I was surprised at the number of people who like to know what I eat every day! With a vegan surfing guide I hope you'll find inspiration to go vegan for a day, a week, the rest of

your life. I would love to hear how it goes at siliconveggie! Peter H

What kind of emailer are you? Find out today - get a free analysis of your email personality. Take the quiz at the Mail Championship.

• 6 months later...

http://www.metroactive.com/metro/09.05.07/veggie-0736.html

Do You Take This Buffet to Be Vegan?

By Elisa Camahort

OVER A year ago I wrote a Silicon Veggie column on the hypothetical question of what I would serve at my wedding. The hypothetical has become real. In two months I'm getting married and planning to serve a vegan buffet. The carnivorous S.O. and I are paying for about two-thirds of the wedding and my folks are paying for the rest. And between my folks, the S.O. and me, I'm the only veg*n. I stated early on that I was hoping for a vegan wedding, and my mom and my S.O. expressed doubt: Would we find a caterer that could serve a satisfying meal for a crowd of 95 percent nonveg*ns? After a sumptuous and delicious tasting with our caterer-to-be, my S.O. was convinced.

My mom, not so much.

But I said it was important to me, and the S.O. was fine with it, so we were going for the real vegan deal. But that was before my mom discovered that I had previously let people purchase and bring nonvegan food into my house to serve to other people. She wondered why the wedding was different, considering she was paying for part of it. And all she was really asking for was some cheese, somewhere.

I joked and said, "Well, you guys are paying for everything else!" (My mom was not amused.) So, I thought harder about why it was different. I came up with this: It's all about the symbolism and significance of the occasion. People say "It's your day" a lot, and while I'm not into the bride-on-a-pedestal, groom-on-the-sidelines feeling that evokes, I do agree that no matter who is paying, a wedding represents the bride and groom. Or should. Every bride I talk to whom expresses regrets about her wedding, and says she regrets she went along with something she didn't like to please someone else.

I don't interfere with other people's choices in their day-to-day lives. But on a day when we're gathering our nearest and dearest around us to celebrate life, why would I feel comfortable serving them something that I believe reflects only death? I may not make an issue of that any other day of my entire life. It may not be my business any other day of my life. But it's what I believe. And on this day I feel like I should stand up for that. I believe I can and still provide the spirit of abundance to our guests. So that's the plan!

Peter H

For ideas on reducing your carbon footprint visit For Good this month.

Best idea would be to have a small wedding and pay for it yourself.

Jo

-

Peter VV

Friday, September 07, 2007 8:05 PM

Re: Silicon Veggie

http://www.metroactive.com/metro/09.05.07/veggie-0736.html

Do You Take This Buffet to Be Vegan?

By Elisa Camahort

OVER A year ago I wrote a Silicon Veggie column on the hypothetical question of what I would serve at my wedding. The hypothetical has become real. In two months I'm getting married and planning to serve a vegan buffet. The carnivorous S.O. and I are paying for about two-thirds of the wedding and my folks are paying for the rest. And between my folks, the S.O. and me, I'm the only veg*n. I stated early on that I was hoping for a vegan wedding, and my mom and my S.O. expressed doubt: Would we find a caterer that could serve a satisfying meal for a crowd of 95 percent nonveg*ns? After a sumptuous and delicious tasting with our caterer-to-be, my S.O. was convinced.

My mom, not so much.

But I said it was important to me, and the S.O. was fine with it, so we were going for the real vegan deal. But that was before my mom discovered that I had previously let people purchase and bring nonvegan food into my house to serve to other people. She wondered why the wedding was different, considering she was paying for part of it. And all she was really asking for was some cheese, somewhere.

I joked and said, "Well, you guys are paying for everything else!" (My mom was not amused.) So, I thought harder about why it was different. I came up with this: It's all about the symbolism and significance of the occasion. People say "It's your day" a lot, and while I'm not into the bride-on-a-pedestal, groom-on-the-sidelines feeling that evokes, I do agree that no matter who is paying, a wedding represents the bride and groom. Or should. Every bride I talk to whom expresses regrets about her wedding, and says she regrets she went along with something she didn't like to please someone else.

I don't interfere with other people's choices in their day-to-day lives. But on a day when we're gathering our nearest and dearest around us to celebrate life, why would I feel comfortable serving them something that I believe reflects only death? I may not make an issue of that any other day of my entire life. It may not be my business any other day of my life. But it's what I believe. And on this day I feel like I should stand up for that. I believe I can and still provide the spirit of abundance to our guests. So that's the plan!

Peter H

For ideas on reducing your carbon footprint visit For Good this month.

Absolutely agreed! :) Wonder if she's checked out how much silk is

used for wedding gear? Not to mention pix, shoes...et al...

, " jo " <jo.heartwork wrote:

>

>

> Best idea would be to have a small wedding and pay for it yourself.

>

> Jo

> -

> Peter VV

>

> Friday, September 07, 2007 8:05 PM

> Re: Silicon Veggie

>

>

> From :

>

> http://www.metroactive.com/metro/09.05.07/veggie-0736.html

>

> Do You Take This Buffet to Be Vegan?

>

> By Elisa Camahort

>

>

>

> OVER A year ago I wrote a Silicon Veggie column on the

hypothetical question of what I would serve at my wedding. The

hypothetical has become real. In two months I'm getting married and

planning to serve a vegan buffet. The carnivorous S.O. and I are

paying for about two-thirds of the wedding and my folks are paying

for the rest. And between my folks, the S.O. and me, I'm the only

veg*n. I stated early on that I was hoping for a vegan wedding, and

my mom and my S.O. expressed doubt: Would we find a caterer that

could serve a satisfying meal for a crowd of 95 percent nonveg*ns?

After a sumptuous and delicious tasting with our caterer-to-be, my

S.O. was convinced.

>

>

> My mom, not so much.

>

> But I said it was important to me, and the S.O. was fine with it,

so we were going for the real vegan deal. But that was before my mom

discovered that I had previously let people purchase and bring

nonvegan food into my house to serve to other people. She wondered

why the wedding was different, considering she was paying for part of

it. And all she was really asking for was some cheese, somewhere.

>

> I joked and said, " Well, you guys are paying for everything

else! " (My mom was not amused.) So, I thought harder about why it was

different. I came up with this: It's all about the symbolism and

significance of the occasion. People say " It's your day " a lot, and

while I'm not into the bride-on-a-pedestal, groom-on-the-sidelines

feeling that evokes, I do agree that no matter who is paying, a

wedding represents the bride and groom. Or should. Every bride I talk

to whom expresses regrets about her wedding, and says she regrets she

went along with something she didn't like to please someone else.

>

> I don't interfere with other people's choices in their day-to-day

lives. But on a day when we're gathering our nearest and dearest

around us to celebrate life, why would I feel comfortable serving

them something that I believe reflects only death? I may not make an

issue of that any other day of my entire life. It may not be my

business any other day of my life. But it's what I believe. And on

this day I feel like I should stand up for that. I believe I can and

still provide the spirit of abundance to our guests. So that's the

plan!

>

>