IndiaDivine.org

so, people fed the squirrels, so its the squirrels fault they get aggro?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/15627885.htm

City to kill aggressive tree squirrels

MOVE FOLLOWS ATTACKS ON 4-YEAR-OLD BOY, OTHERS

By Renee Koury

Mercury News

Rick E. Martin / Mercury News

Squirrels have been going nuts in Mountain View's Cuesta Park.

More photos

Chung: Those attacks are a wake-up call: Don't feed 'em, don't befriend 'em

SEPT. 29: Squirrel traps installed in Mtn. View park

SEPT. 28: City to kill aggressive tree squirrels

SEPT. 27: Squirrel attacks plague Mtn. View park

Mountain View will begin trapping and killing aggressive tree squirrels in

Cuesta Park following an attack last week on a young boy who was bitten and had

to undergo rabies shots.

An official with the state Department of Fish and Game declared the squirrels to

be ``a threat to continued public safety'' after mounting reports in recent

months that the squirrels had scratched several visitors and bitten three,

including 4-year-old Andrew Packard last week.

``None of us wants to see the kids have to go through this,'' said Fish and Game

Lt. D.J. Kelly. ``He's going to have nightmares for a long time.''

But the unusual measure is drawing criticism from wildlife lovers.

``The squirrels will be back,'' South Bay wildlife rehabilitator Norma Campbell

said. ``For every one you take out, two more will come in. It could be a

never-ending project that isn't going to accomplish anything. Maybe if people

stopped going to the park for a while, that would help.''

Mountain View community services director David Muela said officials first hoped

to trap and relocate the animals. But Kelly warned against moving them, saying

the city would be liable for any damage the squirrels might cause elsewhere.

So for the next three weeks, a pest control company will set tube-like traps in

the trees of Cuesta Park. Captured squirrels will be euthanized ``in a humane

way,'' Muela said, though he could not elaborate.

Kelly said it's rare for the state to recommend trapping and killing squirrels,

which can be a nuisance but are not usually threatening. Their bold behavior in

Mountain View stems from years of being fed by park visitors, he said.

City officials have long discouraged feeding of the animals and earlier this

year increased park patrols and installed squirrel-proof trash cans.

The squirrels became more bold in their pursuit of handouts.

Cuesta Park squirrels increasingly have been jumping inside baby strollers,

opening food bags and even scratching people as they seek a handout.

In last week's attack, a tree squirrel leaped on 4-year-old Andrew as his mother

was unwrapping a muffin. The squirrel wouldn't let go of the boy, biting and

scratching as Andrew ran through the park screaming. The preschooler is

undergoing painful rabies shots as a precaution and taking powerful antibiotics

for other possible diseases.

The latest attack prompted officials to resort to the trapping, Muela said.

--

Contact Renee Koury at rkoury or (650) 688-7598.

please go here to offer other suggestions instead of killing squirrels...

http://www.mountainview.gov/news/displaynews.asp?NewsID=79

As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances,

there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in

such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest

we become unwitting victims of the darkness.

William O. Douglas

Jeez louise, whats wrong with dont feed the squizzels signs? I think thats awful. When I was young I witnessed people up my local park shooting squizzels, and I dont mind admitting I cried. If they bite, is there a risk of rabies, is that the issue? Why cant parents keep an eye on 4 year olds in parks? this sucks......... The Valley Vegan................fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/15627885.htmCity to kill aggressive tree squirrelsMOVE FOLLOWS ATTACKS ON 4-YEAR-OLD BOY, OTHERSBy Renee KouryMercury NewsRick E. Martin / Mercury NewsSquirrels have been going nuts in Mountain View's Cuesta Park.More photosChung: Those attacks are a wake-up call: Don't

feed 'em, don't befriend 'em SEPT. 29: Squirrel traps installed in Mtn. View park SEPT. 28: City to kill aggressive tree squirrels SEPT. 27: Squirrel attacks plague Mtn. View park Mountain View will begin trapping and killing aggressive tree squirrels in Cuesta Park following an attack last week on a young boy who was bitten and had to undergo rabies shots.An official with the state Department of Fish and Game declared the squirrels to be ``a threat to continued public safety'' after mounting reports in recent months that the squirrels had scratched several visitors and bitten three, including 4-year-old Andrew Packard last week.``None of us wants to see the kids have to go through this,'' said Fish and Game Lt. D.J. Kelly. ``He's going to have nightmares for a long time.''But the unusual measure is drawing criticism from wildlife lovers.``The squirrels will be back,'' South Bay wildlife rehabilitator Norma Campbell said.

``For every one you take out, two more will come in. It could be a never-ending project that isn't going to accomplish anything. Maybe if people stopped going to the park for a while, that would help.''Mountain View community services director David Muela said officials first hoped to trap and relocate the animals. But Kelly warned against moving them, saying the city would be liable for any damage the squirrels might cause elsewhere.So for the next three weeks, a pest control company will set tube-like traps in the trees of Cuesta Park. Captured squirrels will be euthanized ``in a humane way,'' Muela said, though he could not elaborate.Kelly said it's rare for the state to recommend trapping and killing squirrels, which can be a nuisance but are not usually threatening. Their bold behavior in Mountain View stems from years of being fed by park visitors, he said.City officials have long discouraged feeding of the animals and earlier this

year increased park patrols and installed squirrel-proof trash cans.The squirrels became more bold in their pursuit of handouts.Cuesta Park squirrels increasingly have been jumping inside baby strollers, opening food bags and even scratching people as they seek a handout.In last week's attack, a tree squirrel leaped on 4-year-old Andrew as his mother was unwrapping a muffin. The squirrel wouldn't let go of the boy, biting and scratching as Andrew ran through the park screaming. The preschooler is undergoing painful rabies shots as a precaution and taking powerful antibiotics for other possible diseases.The latest attack prompted officials to resort to the trapping, Muela said.--Contact Renee Koury at rkoury or (650) 688-7598. please go here to offer other suggestions instead of killing

squirrels...http://www.mountainview.gov/news/displaynews.asp?NewsID=79As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. William O. Douglas To send an email to -

there's always a fear of rabies here...

tho its pretty rare nowadays in most areas...

but, its just easier for people to take care of issues this way...

just like "don't worry, take this pill, and all your problems will be swept away..and then take this pill to fix the bad effects of that pill, and then..."

peter VV Oct 6, 2006 1:45 PM Re: so, people fed the squirrels, so its the squirrels fault they get aggro?

Jeez louise, whats wrong with dont feed the squizzels signs?

I think thats awful. When I was young I witnessed people up my local park shooting squizzels, and I dont mind admitting I cried.

If they bite, is there a risk of rabies, is that the issue?

Why cant parents keep an eye on 4 year olds in parks?

this sucks.........

The Valley Vegan................

As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. William O. Douglas

Hi Peter

I dunno why, Blackadder springs to mind....

Seriously, though... I don't understand why they want to go around shooting the things... and I *was* bitten by a squirrell when I was a kid. It hasn't done me any harm... well, except at the full moon, when I get a craving to climb trees and store nuts.... ;-)

BB

Peter

-

peter VV

Friday, October 06, 2006 6:45 PM

Re: so, people fed the squirrels, so its the squirrels fault they get aggro?

I think thats awful. When I was young I witnessed people up my local park shooting squizzels, and I dont mind admitting I cried.

this sucks.........

The Valley Vegan................fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/15627885.htmCity to kill aggressive tree squirrelsMOVE FOLLOWS ATTACKS ON 4-YEAR-OLD BOY, OTHERSBy Renee KouryMercury NewsRick E. Martin / Mercury NewsSquirrels have been going nuts in Mountain View's Cuesta Park.More photosChung: Those attacks are a wake-up call: Don't feed 'em, don't befriend 'em SEPT. 29: Squirrel traps installed in Mtn. View park SEPT. 28: City to kill aggressive tree squirrels SEPT. 27: Squirrel attacks plague Mtn. View park Mountain View will begin trapping and killing aggressive tree squirrels in Cuesta Park following an attack last week on a young boy who was bitten and had to undergo rabies shots.An official with the state Department of Fish and Game declared the squirrels to be ``a threat to continued public safety'' after mounting reports in recent months that the squirrels had scratched several visitors and bitten three, including 4-year-old Andrew Packard last week.``None of us wants to see the kids have to go through this,'' said Fish and Game Lt. D.J. Kelly. ``He's going to have nightmares for a long time.''But the unusual measure is drawing criticism from wildlife lovers.``The squirrels will be back,'' South Bay wildlife rehabilitator Norma Campbell said. ``For every one you take out, two more will come in. It could be a never-ending project that isn't going to accomplish anything. Maybe if people stopped going to the park for a while, that would help.''Mountain View community services director David Muela said officials first hoped to trap and relocate the animals. But Kelly warned against moving them, saying the city would be liable for any damage the squirrels might cause elsewhere.So for the next three weeks, a pest control company will set tube-like traps in the trees of Cuesta Park. Captured squirrels will be euthanized ``in a humane way,'' Muela said, though he could not elaborate.Kelly said it's rare for the state to recommend trapping and killing squirrels, which can be a nuisance but are not usually threatening. Their bold behavior in Mountain View stems from years of being fed by park visitors, he said.City officials have long discouraged feeding of the animals and earlier this year increased park patrols and installed squirrel-proof trash cans.The squirrels became more bold in their pursuit of handouts.Cuesta Park squirrels increasingly have been jumping inside baby strollers, opening food bags and even scratching people as they seek a handout.In last week's attack, a tree squirrel leaped on 4-year-old Andrew as his mother was unwrapping a muffin. The squirrel wouldn't let go of the boy, biting and scratching as Andrew ran through the park screaming. The preschooler is undergoing painful rabies shots as a precaution and taking powerful antibiotics for other possible diseases.The latest attack prompted officials to resort to the trapping, Muela said.--Contact Renee Koury at rkoury or (650) 688-7598. please go here to offer other suggestions instead of killing squirrels...http://www.mountainview.gov/news/displaynews.asp?NewsID=79As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. William O. Douglas To send an email to -

Hi Fraggle

Y'know - this has reminded me of something I was a little perturbed by at the University Fresher's Fair this year... they had a stall recruiting people to take part in human trials of medicines. They make a big thing of how much money you can get (£600 for 7 evenings and one overnight stay), and put all these nice flowery things in about how their experiments are "carefully planned and ethically approved". But nowehere in the literature does it make the slightest mention of any risks. What really disturbs me is that the majority of people at a Freshers Fair are 18 year olds, who've just moved out of their parents' homes within the last two weeks, and are trying to work out how to make their student loans last them for the term - I'm actually rather disgusted that the University and the Union allows this sort of "preying" on a potentially very naive group of people, who they are supposed to be looking out for.

OK.... rant over!

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

Friday, October 06, 2006 7:37 PM

just like "don't worry, take this pill, and all your problems will be swept away..and then take this pill to fix the bad effects of that pill, and then..."

peter VV Oct 6, 2006 1:45 PM Re: so, people fed the squirrels, so its the squirrels fault they get aggro?

this sucks.........

The Valley Vegan................

As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. William O. Douglas

Good rant, but hey these are adults and supposedly ( university after all?!) intelligent ones, so the risk should be obvious? I know they are skint, after all they probably all drank their student loans away after a month, but hey cmon? The Valley Vegan...............Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Fraggle Y'know - this has reminded me of something I was a little perturbed by at the University Fresher's Fair this year... they had a stall recruiting people to take part in human trials of medicines. They make a big thing of how much money you can get (£600 for 7 evenings and one overnight stay),

and put all these nice flowery things in about how their experiments are "carefully planned and ethically approved". But nowehere in the literature does it make the slightest mention of any risks. What really disturbs me is that the majority of people at a Freshers Fair are 18 year olds, who've just moved out of their parents' homes within the last two weeks, and are trying to work out how to make their student loans last them for the term - I'm actually rather disgusted that the University and the Union allows this sort of "preying" on a potentially very naive group of people, who they are supposed to be looking out for. OK.... rant over! BB Peter - fraggle Friday, October 06, 2006 7:37 PM Re: so, people fed the squirrels, so its the squirrels fault they get aggro? there's always a fear of rabies here... tho its pretty rare nowadays in most areas... but, its just easier for people to take care of issues this way... just like "don't worry, take this pill, and all your problems will be swept

away..and then take this pill to fix the bad effects of that pill, and then..." peter VV Oct 6, 2006 1:45 PM Re: so, people fed the squirrels, so its the squirrels fault they get aggro? Jeez louise, whats wrong with dont feed the squizzels signs? I think thats awful. When I was young I witnessed people up my local park shooting squizzels, and I dont mind admitting I cried. If they bite, is there a risk of rabies, is that the issue? Why cant parents keep an eye on 4 year olds in parks? this sucks......... The Valley Vegan................As nightfall does not

come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. William O. Douglas Peter H

All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine

Hi Peter

Now come on - they may be adults - but it still seems like preying on the vulnerable - I mean, it's a bit tough the first few weeks after you move out of your parents' place - all sorts of stuff flying at you from all directions. I just reckon that there should be something done to prevent this sort of thing. After all, there's laws that say that when you sell cigarettes, there has to be a health warning on the packet, same with all tobacco advertising. Why is this not the case with medical testing - which, by its very nature, is testing something to find out whether it actually is safe???!!!

BB

Peter

-

peter VV

Friday, October 06, 2006 8:21 PM

Good rant, but hey these are adults and supposedly ( university after all?!) intelligent ones, so the risk should be obvious?

I know they are skint, after all they probably all drank their student loans away after a month, but hey cmon?

The Valley Vegan...............Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Fraggle

Y'know - this has reminded me of something I was a little perturbed by at the University Fresher's Fair this year... they had a stall recruiting people to take part in human trials of medicines. They make a big thing of how much money you can get (£600 for 7 evenings and one overnight stay), and put all these nice flowery things in about how their experiments are "carefully planned and ethically approved". But nowehere in the literature does it make the slightest mention of any risks. What really disturbs me is that the majority of people at a Freshers Fair are 18 year olds, who've just moved out of their parents' homes within the last two weeks, and are trying to work out how to make their student loans last them for the term - I'm actually rather disgusted that the University and the Union allows this sort of "preying" on a potentially very naive group of people, who they are supposed to be looking out for.

OK.... rant over!

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

this sucks.........

The Valley Vegan................As nightfall does not

come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. William O. Douglas

Peter H

All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine

exactamundo - by its very nature, is testing something to find out whether it actually is safe???!!! Are you saying students are naive or desperate? - or a bit of both? The Valley Vegan.................Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Peter Now come on - they may be adults - but it still seems like preying on the vulnerable - I mean, it's a bit tough the first few weeks after you move out of your parents' place - all sorts of stuff flying at you from all directions. I just reckon that there should be something done to prevent this sort of thing. After all, there's laws that say that when you sell cigarettes, there

has to be a health warning on the packet, same with all tobacco advertising. Why is this not the case with medical testing - which, by its very nature, is testing something to find out whether it actually is safe???!!! BB Peter - peter VV Friday, October 06, 2006 8:21 PM Re: so, people fed the squirrels, so its the squirrels fault they get aggro? Good rant, but hey these are adults and supposedly ( university after all?!) intelligent ones, so the risk should be obvious? I know they are skint, after all they probably all drank their student loans away after a month, but hey cmon? The Valley Vegan...............Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Fraggle Y'know - this has reminded me of something I was a little perturbed by at the University

Fresher's Fair this year... they had a stall recruiting people to take part in human trials of medicines. They make a big thing of how much money you can get (£600 for 7 evenings and one overnight stay), and put all these nice flowery things in about how their experiments are "carefully planned and ethically approved". But nowehere in the literature does it make the slightest mention of any risks. What really disturbs me is that the majority of people at a Freshers Fair are 18 year olds, who've just moved out of their parents' homes within the last two weeks, and are trying to work out how to make their student loans last them for the term - I'm actually rather disgusted that the University and the Union allows this sort of "preying" on a potentially very naive group of people, who they are supposed to be looking out for. OK.... rant over! BB Peter - fraggle Friday, October 06, 2006 7:37 PM Re: so, people fed the squirrels, so its the squirrels fault they get aggro? there's always a fear of rabies here... tho its pretty rare

nowadays in most areas... but, its just easier for people to take care of issues this way... just like "don't worry, take this pill, and all your problems will be swept away..and then take this pill to fix the bad effects of that pill, and then..." peter VV Oct 6, 2006 1:45 PM Re: so, people fed the squirrels, so its the squirrels fault they get aggro? Jeez louise, whats wrong with dont feed the squizzels signs? I think thats awful. When I was young I witnessed people up my local park shooting squizzels, and I dont mind admitting I cried. If they bite, is there a risk of rabies, is that the issue? Why cant parents keep an eye on 4

year olds in parks? this sucks......... The Valley Vegan................As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. William O. Douglas Peter H All new

Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine Peter H

Try the all-new Mail . "The New Version is radically easier to use" – The Wall Street Journal

Hi Peter

I'd say that there is a reasonable percentage of teenagers who are both - wouldn't you?

After all, it's rather noticable that I've never seen a similar stall at any other events I've been to - vegan or vegetarian events, Pagan events, music events, carnivals, protests, political events, sporting events, computer fairs, sci fi conventions, academic conferences, etc. I even went to a pharmaceutical conference a few years ago, and they weren't even there... so you really have to ask - why only student events?

And regardless of where they do leaflet, I think the question as to why there is no law ensuring that they highlight the potential risks on all their material is still a perfectly valid one!

BB

Peter

-

peter VV

Friday, October 06, 2006 9:14 PM

exactamundo - by its very nature, is testing something to find out whether it actually is safe???!!!

Are you saying students are naive or desperate? - or a bit of both?

The Valley Vegan.................Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Peter

Now come on - they may be adults - but it still seems like preying on the vulnerable - I mean, it's a bit tough the first few weeks after you move out of your parents' place - all sorts of stuff flying at you from all directions. I just reckon that there should be something done to prevent this sort of thing. After all, there's laws that say that when you sell cigarettes, there has to be a health warning on the packet, same with all tobacco advertising. Why is this not the case with medical testing - which, by its very nature, is testing something to find out whether it actually is safe???!!!

BB

Peter

-

peter VV

Good rant, but hey these are adults and supposedly ( university after all?!) intelligent ones, so the risk should be obvious?

I know they are skint, after all they probably all drank their student loans away after a month, but hey cmon?

Hi Fraggle

OK.... rant over!

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

this sucks.........

The Valley Vegan................As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. William O. Douglas

Peter H

Peter H

Try the all-new Mail . "The New Version is radically easier to use" – The Wall Street Journal

I agree there should be a warning, and I agree that they are impressionable at that age. But then Mcdeathburger targets kids at a very young age and that aint too healthy either, and they are allowed in childrens wards in hospitals and schools...........sods.... The Valley Vegan..............Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Peter I'd say that there is a reasonable percentage of teenagers who are both - wouldn't you? After all, it's rather noticable that I've never seen a similar stall at any other events I've been to -

vegan or vegetarian events, Pagan events, music events, carnivals, protests, political events, sporting events, computer fairs, sci fi conventions, academic conferences, etc. I even went to a pharmaceutical conference a few years ago, and they weren't even there... so you really have to ask - why only student events? And regardless of where they do leaflet, I think the question as to why there is no law ensuring that they highlight the potential risks on all their material is still a perfectly valid one! BB Peter - peter VV Friday, October 06, 2006 9:14 PM Re: so, people fed the squirrels, so its the squirrels fault they get aggro? exactamundo - by its very nature, is testing something to find out whether it actually is safe???!!! Are you saying students are naive or desperate? - or a bit of both? The Valley Vegan.................Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Peter Now come on - they may be adults - but it still seems like preying on the vulnerable - I mean, it's a bit tough the first few weeks after you move out of your parents' place - all sorts of stuff flying at you from all directions. I just reckon that there should be something done to prevent this sort of thing. After all, there's laws that say that when you sell cigarettes, there has to be a health warning on the packet, same with all tobacco advertising. Why is this not the case with medical testing - which, by its very nature, is testing something to find out whether it actually is safe???!!! BB Peter - peter VV Friday, October 06, 2006 8:21 PM Re: so, people fed the squirrels, so its the squirrels fault they get aggro? Good rant, but hey these are adults and supposedly ( university after all?!) intelligent ones, so the risk should be obvious? I know they are skint, after all they probably all drank their student loans away after a

month, but hey cmon? The Valley Vegan...............Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Fraggle Y'know - this has reminded me of something I was a little perturbed by at the University Fresher's Fair this year... they had a stall recruiting people to take part in human trials of medicines. They make a big thing of how much money you can get (£600 for 7 evenings and one overnight stay), and put all these nice flowery things in about how their experiments are "carefully planned and ethically approved". But nowehere in the literature does it make the slightest mention of any

risks. What really disturbs me is that the majority of people at a Freshers Fair are 18 year olds, who've just moved out of their parents' homes within the last two weeks, and are trying to work out how to make their student loans last them for the term - I'm actually rather disgusted that the University and the Union allows this sort of "preying" on a potentially very naive group of people, who they are supposed to be looking out for. OK.... rant over! BB Peter - fraggle Friday, October 06, 2006 7:37 PM Re: so, people fed the squirrels, so its the squirrels fault they get aggro? there's always a fear of rabies here... tho its pretty rare nowadays in most areas... but, its just easier for people to take care of issues this way... just like "don't worry, take this pill, and all your problems will be swept away..and then take this pill to fix the bad effects of that pill, and then..." peter VV Oct 6, 2006 1:45 PM Re: so, people fed the squirrels, so its the squirrels fault they get aggro? Jeez louise, whats wrong with dont feed the squizzels signs? I think thats awful. When I was young I witnessed people up my local park shooting squizzels, and I dont mind admitting I cried. If they bite, is there a risk of rabies, is that the issue? Why cant parents keep an eye on 4 year olds in parks? this sucks......... The Valley Vegan................As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of

change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. William O. Douglas Peter H All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine Peter H Try the all-new Mail . "The New Version is radically easier to use" – The Wall Street Journal Peter H

The all-new Mail goes wherever you go - free your email address from your Internet provider.

Hi Peter

Ah yes - I agree with you about McD******s too. They should definitely carry health warnings and be kept out of schools!

BB

Peter

-

peter VV

Saturday, October 07, 2006 3:23 PM

I agree there should be a warning, and I agree that they are impressionable at that age.

But then Mcdeathburger targets kids at a very young age and that aint too healthy either, and they are allowed in childrens wards in hospitals and schools...........sods....

The Valley Vegan..............Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Peter

I'd say that there is a reasonable percentage of teenagers who are both - wouldn't you?

After all, it's rather noticable that I've never seen a similar stall at any other events I've been to - vegan or vegetarian events, Pagan events, music events, carnivals, protests, political events, sporting events, computer fairs, sci fi conventions, academic conferences, etc. I even went to a pharmaceutical conference a few years ago, and they weren't even there... so you really have to ask - why only student events?

And regardless of where they do leaflet, I think the question as to why there is no law ensuring that they highlight the potential risks on all their material is still a perfectly valid one!

BB

Peter

-

peter VV

exactamundo - by its very nature, is testing something to find out whether it actually is safe???!!!

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

peter VV

Hi Fraggle

OK.... rant over!

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

this sucks.........

The Valley Vegan................As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of

change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. William O. Douglas

Peter H

Peter H

Peter H

The all-new Mail goes wherever you go - free your email address from your Internet provider.

Very true Peter - I did deliver a new bunch yesterday and it was the day after the Full Moon :-)

BBJo

-

Peter

Friday, October 06, 2006 8:08 PM

Hi Peter

I dunno why, Blackadder springs to mind....

Seriously, though... I don't understand why they want to go around shooting the things... and I *was* bitten by a squirrell when I was a kid. It hasn't done me any harm... well, except at the full moon, when I get a craving to climb trees and store nuts.... ;-)

BB

Peter

-

peter VV

Friday, October 06, 2006 6:45 PM

this sucks.........

The Valley Vegan................fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/15627885.htmCity to kill aggressive tree squirrelsMOVE FOLLOWS ATTACKS ON 4-YEAR-OLD BOY, OTHERSBy Renee KouryMercury NewsRick E. Martin / Mercury NewsSquirrels have been going nuts in Mountain View's Cuesta Park.More photosChung: Those attacks are a wake-up call: Don't feed 'em, don't befriend 'em SEPT. 29: Squirrel traps installed in Mtn. View park SEPT. 28: City to kill aggressive tree squirrels SEPT. 27: Squirrel attacks plague Mtn. View park Mountain View will begin trapping and killing aggressive tree squirrels in Cuesta Park following an attack last week on a young boy who was bitten and had to undergo rabies shots.An official with the state Department of Fish and Game declared the squirrels to be ``a threat to continued public safety'' after mounting reports in recent months that the squirrels had scratched several visitors and bitten three, including 4-year-old Andrew Packard last week.``None of us wants to see the kids have to go through this,'' said Fish and Game Lt. D.J. Kelly. ``He's going to have nightmares for a long time.''But the unusual measure is drawing criticism from wildlife lovers.``The squirrels will be back,'' South Bay wildlife rehabilitator Norma Campbell said. ``For every one you take out, two more will come in. It could be a never-ending project that isn't going to accomplish anything. Maybe if people stopped going to the park for a while, that would help.''Mountain View community services director David Muela said officials first hoped to trap and relocate the animals. But Kelly warned against moving them, saying the city would be liable for any damage the squirrels might cause elsewhere.So for the next three weeks, a pest control company will set tube-like traps in the trees of Cuesta Park. Captured squirrels will be euthanized ``in a humane way,'' Muela said, though he could not elaborate.Kelly said it's rare for the state to recommend trapping and killing squirrels, which can be a nuisance but are not usually threatening. Their bold behavior in Mountain View stems from years of being fed by park visitors, he said.City officials have long discouraged feeding of the animals and earlier this year increased park patrols and installed squirrel-proof trash cans.The squirrels became more bold in their pursuit of handouts.Cuesta Park squirrels increasingly have been jumping inside baby strollers, opening food bags and even scratching people as they seek a handout.In last week's attack, a tree squirrel leaped on 4-year-old Andrew as his mother was unwrapping a muffin. The squirrel wouldn't let go of the boy, biting and scratching as Andrew ran through the park screaming. The preschooler is undergoing painful rabies shots as a precaution and taking powerful antibiotics for other possible diseases.The latest attack prompted officials to resort to the trapping, Muela said.--Contact Renee Koury at rkoury or (650) 688-7598. please go here to offer other suggestions instead of killing squirrels...http://www.mountainview.gov/news/displaynews.asp?NewsID=79As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. William O. Douglas To send an email to -

From my experience of 18 year olds (particularly boys - sorry chaps) the last thing they think of is their health, and the government and big companies should not be allowed to prey on them.

BBJo

-

Peter

Friday, October 06, 2006 8:15 PM

Hi Fraggle

OK.... rant over!

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

this sucks.........

The Valley Vegan................As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. William O. Douglas

Hi Peter

Not all students drink. Just because someone is meant to be grown-up doesn't make them grown-up. Some people are born wise, and others have to acquire wisdom over time.

Jo

-

peter VV

Hi Fraggle

OK.... rant over!

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

this sucks.........

The Valley Vegan................As nightfall does not

come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. William O. Douglas

Peter H

HI Peter

Some students are naive as are some adults.

Jo

-

peter VV

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

peter VV

Hi Fraggle

OK.... rant over!

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

this sucks.........

Peter H

Peter H

Well noticed Peter.

Jo

-

Peter

Friday, October 06, 2006 10:14 PM

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

peter VV

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

peter VV

Hi Fraggle

OK.... rant over!

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

this sucks.........

Peter H

Peter H