IndiaDivine.org

i feel like i'm always complaining, but...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

HI. I've been having problems with arthritis lately, and i was talking to a non vegan friend, and he said that he knew someone who knew someone who was vegan and had arthritis problems, and her doctor ordered her off her diet because her bones were becoming brittle, despite supplements. so, i was thinking, the person who i got beging vegan from, i now remember her complaining of arthritis.

so... does anyone have arthritic conditions, know of it being linked to veganism, or any otherwise pertinent information.

shelley

http://www.veganmyspace.com

(my web site is going good, as far as it just having pics and general information about vegans, which is cool, and a supportive thing. but it's not like myspace where when you add a friend it asks the other person if they would like to also be friends, i'm trying to make it do that, but it seems to be a programming nightmare... but it's good for what it is.... thanks to any who have participated :)

Stay in touch with old friends and meet new ones with Windows Live Spaces

Hi Shelley

The only research I have read suggests that meat, particularly red

meat, is bad for arthritics. The worst thing to do is become acid, and

eating a diet very rich in vegetables, is the best way to alkalise the

body. Meat, fish and dairy cause the body to become acid. Peanuts and

some other foods contribute some to the acidity, and wheat contribute a

little bit. Also, I think for optimal health you need to drink enough

water each day.

Jo

Hi again Shelley :-)

I remembered I had an article on my pc that I downloaded a while ago.

It is about an anti-inflammatory diet (arthritis = inflammation).

Obviously I would not recommend the animal flesh parts of the

instructions, but you can ignore these.

" Guidelines for an Anti-Inflammatory Lifestyle

Jacob Farin, N.D.

The main reason people seek a physician's advice is for pain relief.

Although there are numerous botanical and nutritional treatments to

reduce pain and inflammation, the main naturopathic defenses are foods.

By paying attention to the foods that we eat, we can reduce the

occurrence of pain and inflammation. Mark, who came to me for treatment

of ulcerative colitis, experienced significant improvement when he

followed this outline for an anti-inflammatory lifestyle. Within 3

months, he was nearly symptom free and was able to treat himself to a

day of indulgence at his daughter's wedding. Best of all, he

experienced no ill effect.

1. Eliminate pro-inflammatory foods

Red Meats and Peanuts: These foods contain high levels of arachidonic

acid, a type of fatty acid that converts into inflammatory mediators.

Removing these foods from the diet decreases the levels of arachidonic

acid in the body and reduces the occurrence of inflammation.

Caffeine, fried foods, carbonated drinks, alcohol: These foods greatly

increase oxidation and free radicals, both of which initiate the

inflammatory process, and makes one prone towards inflammation.

Food allergies: Foods that do not agree with us can produce metabolites

that interfere with normal bodily function and impair expedient healing

of inflamed tissues. Many people experience long-term relief of pain

with the simple elimination of food allergens such as wheat and dairy,

especially those with long-term intestinal disorders.

2. Implement a plant-based diet

Vegetables and fruits: These foods are rich in carotenoids and

bioflavonoids that are powerful antioxidants, preventing free radical

production and reducing the occurrence of inflammation. The more richly

colored the fruit or vegetable, the more antioxidants it contains. Make

sure every meal contains a healthy serving of fruits or vegetables

Cold water fish: Salmon, halibut, mackerel, tuna, trout and other cold

water fish contain lots of omega-3 fatty acids. These fatty acids

offset the production of arachidonic acid, as well as favor the

production of mediators that inhibit inflammation. Eat at least 3

servings of fish every week.

Flax oil: This is rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids which work

similarly to fish oils to help reduce inflammation. Use it in salads or

in fruit smoothies, but never cook with it because of its strong

tendency towards being oxidized.

Ginger: Ginger has been shown to be a powerful anti-inflammatory agent.

Use it freely in your cooking or make a tea with it. It also helps

reduce nausea and some forms of abdominal distress.

Whole grains, legumes, soy products: These foods are great sources for

protein without the pro-inflammatory arachidonic acid. Skinless chicken

breasts may also be added since most of the fat is found in the skin.

3. Nutritional supplements

Correct nutritional deficiencies: Nutritional deficiencies can

exacerbate pain and inflammation by slowing down the healing process of

injured tissues. It is well established that deficiencies in zinc and

vitamins C and A can delay wound healing. Deficiencies in minerals,

such as calcium and magnesium, can also aggravate muscular pain.

Antioxidants: Powerful antioxidants include vitamins A, C and E,

carotenoids and bioflavonoids, along with selenium and glutathione.

4. Move that body!

Exercise: Not only is exercise a great way to relieve stress and

tension, but it promotes circulation, allowing vital nutrients to

diffuse throughout the body, while flushing out metabolic waste.

Exercise does not have to be strenuous. Daily walking or yoga is

adequate enough to get the blood moving.

Let this guideline for an anti-inflammatory lifestyle be a part of your

natural management for pain and inflammation. "

Jo

, " heartwerk " <jo.heartwork wrote:

>

> Hi Shelley

>

> The only research I have read suggests that meat, particularly red

> meat, is bad for arthritics. The worst thing to do is become acid,

and

> eating a diet very rich in vegetables, is the best way to alkalise

the

> body. Meat, fish and dairy cause the body to become acid. Peanuts

and

> some other foods contribute some to the acidity, and wheat contribute

a

> little bit. Also, I think for optimal health you need to drink

enough

> water each day.

>

> Jo

>

i have arthritis

but its from breaking most of my poor little bones over the years..and not my dietsince meats are suppose to increase the risk and duration of arthritis, along with greasy foods..and fruits high in vitamin are suppose to decrease the severity, i fail to see how veganism could affect arthritis

Shelley Guerrero Oct 18, 2006 4:52 PM i feel like i'm always complaining, but...

HI. I've been having problems with arthritis lately, and i was talking to a non vegan friend, and he said that he knew someone who knew someone who was vegan and had arthritis problems, and her doctor ordered her off her diet because her bones were becoming brittle, despite supplements. so, i was thinking, the person who i got beging vegan from, i now remember her complaining of arthritis.

so... does anyone have arthritic conditions, know of it being linked to veganism, or any otherwise pertinent information.

shelley

(my web site is going good, as far as it just having pics and general information about vegans, which is cool, and a supportive thing. but it's not like myspace where when you add a friend it asks the other person if they would like to also be friends, i'm trying to make it do that, but it seems to be a programming nightmare... but it's good for what it is.... thanks to any who have participated :)

As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. William O. Douglas

hi i would like to add my point in this please i use to have arthritis and now im vegan i dont have it at toll if you like to know more please ask fox fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: i have arthritis but its from breaking most of my poor little bones over the years..and not my dietsince meats are suppose to increase the risk and duration of arthritis, along with greasy foods..and fruits high in vitamin are suppose to decrease the

severity, i fail to see how veganism could affect arthritis Shelley Guerrero Oct 18, 2006 4:52 PM i feel like i'm always complaining, but... HI. I've been having problems with arthritis lately, and i was talking to a non vegan friend, and he said that he knew someone who knew someone who was vegan and had arthritis problems, and her doctor ordered her off her diet because her bones were becoming brittle, despite supplements. so, i was thinking, the person who i got beging vegan from, i now remember her complaining of arthritis. so... does anyone have arthritic conditions, know of it being linked to

veganism, or any otherwise pertinent information. shelley http://www.veganmyspace.com (my web site is going good, as far as it just having pics and general information about vegans, which is cool, and a supportive thing. but it's not like myspace where when you add a friend it asks the other person if they would like to also be friends, i'm trying to make it do that, but it seems to be a programming nightmare... but it's good for what it is.... thanks to any who have participated :) Stay in touch with old friends and meet new ones with Windows Live Spaces As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. William O. Douglas Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Hi Louis

I'm pleased to hear of your recovery.

Jo

-

louis stott

Friday, October 20, 2006 9:39 PM

Re: i feel like i'm always complaining, but...

hi

i would like to add my point in this please

i use to have arthritis and now im vegan i dont have it at toll if you like to know more please ask

fox fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

i have arthritis

but its from breaking most of my poor little bones over the years..and not my dietsince meats are suppose to increase the risk and duration of arthritis, along with greasy foods..and fruits high in vitamin are suppose to decrease the severity, i fail to see how veganism could affect arthritis

Shelley Guerrero Oct 18, 2006 4:52 PM i feel like i'm always complaining, but...

shelley

Stay in touch with old friends and meet new ones with Windows Live Spaces As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. William O. Douglas

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

in response to fox.... that's intersting, now i have something to say to my relatives who r always blaming my diet... if u have more info, please

"jo" <jo.heartwork To: Re: i feel like i'm always complaining, but...Fri, 20 Oct 2006 23:41:49 +0100

Hi Louis

I'm pleased to hear of your recovery.

Jo

-

louis stott

Friday, October 20, 2006 9:39 PM

Re: i feel like i'm always complaining, but...

hi

i would like to add my point in this please

i use to have arthritis and now im vegan i dont have it at toll if you like to know more please ask

fox fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) com> wrote:

i have arthritis

shelley

Stay in touch with old friends and meet new ones with Windows Live Spaces As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. William O. Douglas

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.