IndiaDivine.org

Pagan inmates to observe festival

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Pagan inmates to observe festival More than 300 registered Pagans are in Britain's prisonsPagan prisoners in Britain are to be given time off work duties to allow them to observe a religious festival on the day of Halloween. Pagans observe the Celtic New Year's Eve on 31 October, which they see as Britain's indigenous New Year event. The Home Office, which agreed to the move, said it was committed to treating all prisoners with

decency, which included respecting all religions. There are more than 300 registered Pagans in Britain's prisons. Cerridwen Connelly, who is a druid, believes it is an important decision. She told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "The main issue in this country today is getting more religious tolerance. "We can't say its okay for Muslims and Hindus but Pagans are second-class citizens. It has to be fairly done and this is one way of doing it." Ms Connelly, known as "dragon oak", added that people should be given the right to "celebrate their chosen spirituality on certain days of the year". Brian Caton, general secretary of the Prison Officers' Association, said he believed "there should be fairness across all religions" in prison. But he said Pagans should have been asked about when they preferred to celebrate the event. He pointed out that it is an evening festival, whereas the duties inmates were being

relieved from were to be carried out during the day. Peter H

All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine

I heard Cerridwen on the radio this morning. Haven't seen her for a while.

Jo

-

peter VV

Monday, October 30, 2006 8:18 PM

Re: Pagan inmates to observe festival

More than 300 registered Pagans are in Britain's prisonsPagan prisoners in Britain are to be given time off work duties to allow them to observe a religious festival on the day of Halloween. Pagans observe the Celtic New Year's Eve on 31 October, which they see as Britain's indigenous New Year event. The Home Office, which agreed to the move, said it was committed to treating all prisoners with decency, which included respecting all religions. There are more than 300 registered Pagans in Britain's prisons.

Cerridwen Connelly, who is a druid, believes it is an important decision. She told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "The main issue in this country today is getting more religious tolerance. "We can't say its okay for Muslims and Hindus but Pagans are second-class citizens. It has to be fairly done and this is one way of doing it." Ms Connelly, known as "dragon oak", added that people should be given the right to "celebrate their chosen spirituality on certain days of the year". Brian Caton, general secretary of the Prison Officers' Association, said he believed "there should be fairness across all religions" in prison. But he said Pagans should have been asked about when they preferred to celebrate the event. He pointed out that it is an evening festival, whereas the duties inmates were being relieved from were to be carried out during the day.

Peter H

All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine

Hi Peter

Intriguing... when I met Cerridwen Connelly about 4 years ago, she claimed to be a hereditary witch... seems she's now become a druid!...

BB

Peter

On 30/10/06, peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

More than 300 registered Pagans are in Britain's prisonsPagan prisoners in Britain are to be given time off work duties to allow them to observe a religious festival on the day of Halloween.

Pagans observe the Celtic New Year's Eve on 31 October, which they see as Britain's indigenous New Year event. The Home Office, which agreed to the move, said it was committed to treating all prisoners with decency, which included respecting all religions. There are more than 300 registered Pagans in Britain's prisons. Cerridwen Connelly, who is a druid, believes it is an important decision. She told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: " The main issue in this country today is getting more religious tolerance. " We can't say its okay for Muslims and Hindus but Pagans are second-class citizens. It has to be fairly done and this is one way of doing it. " Ms Connelly, known as " dragon oak " , added that people should be given the right to " celebrate their chosen spirituality on certain days of the year " . Brian Caton, general secretary of the Prison Officers' Association, said he believed " there should be fairness across all religions " in prison. But he said Pagans should have been asked about when they preferred to celebrate the event. He pointed out that it is an evening festival, whereas the duties inmates were being relieved from were to be carried out during the day.

Peter H

All new Mail " The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use. " - PC Magazine

Can you be hereditary at anything? witch,druid,plumber, sock fetishist,Professor,cop? The Valley Vegan..............Peter Kebbell <metalscarab wrote: Hi Peter Intriguing... when I met Cerridwen Connelly about 4 years ago, she claimed to be a hereditary witch... seems she's now become a druid!... BB Peter On 30/10/06, peter VV <swpgh01 wrote: Pagan inmates

to observe festival More than 300 registered Pagans are in Britain's prisonsPagan prisoners in Britain are to be given time off work duties to allow them to observe a religious festival on the day of Halloween. Pagans observe the Celtic New Year's Eve on 31 October, which they see as Britain's indigenous New Year event. The Home Office, which agreed to the move, said it was committed to treating all prisoners with decency, which included respecting all religions. There are more than 300 registered Pagans in Britain's prisons. Cerridwen Connelly, who is a druid, believes it is an important decision. She told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "The main issue in this country

today is getting more religious tolerance. "We can't say its okay for Muslims and Hindus but Pagans are second-class citizens. It has to be fairly done and this is one way of doing it." Ms Connelly, known as "dragon oak", added that people should be given the right to "celebrate their chosen spirituality on certain days of the year". Brian Caton, general secretary of the Prison Officers' Association, said he believed "there should be fairness across all religions" in prison. But he said Pagans should have been asked about when they preferred to celebrate the event. He pointed out that it is an evening festival, whereas the duties inmates were being relieved from were to be carried out during the day. Peter H All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine Peter H

The all-new Mail goes wherever you go - free your email address from your Internet provider.

HI Peter

It seems to be the latest craze around here - Druid and Wiccan etc. Maybe they should just call themselves eclectic.

BBJo

-

Peter Kebbell

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 11:43 AM

Hi Peter

Intriguing... when I met Cerridwen Connelly about 4 years ago, she claimed to be a hereditary witch... seems she's now become a druid!...

BB

Peter

More than 300 registered Pagans are in Britain's prisonsPagan prisoners in Britain are to be given time off work duties to allow them to observe a religious festival on the day of Halloween.

Pagans observe the Celtic New Year's Eve on 31 October, which they see as Britain's indigenous New Year event. The Home Office, which agreed to the move, said it was committed to treating all prisoners with decency, which included respecting all religions. There are more than 300 registered Pagans in Britain's prisons. Cerridwen Connelly, who is a druid, believes it is an important decision. She told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "The main issue in this country today is getting more religious tolerance. "We can't say its okay for Muslims and Hindus but Pagans are second-class citizens. It has to be fairly done and this is one way of doing it." Ms Connelly, known as "dragon oak", added that people should be given the right to "celebrate their chosen spirituality on certain days of the year". Brian Caton, general secretary of the Prison Officers' Association, said he believed "there should be fairness across all religions" in prison. But he said Pagans should have been asked about when they preferred to celebrate the event. He pointed out that it is an evening festival, whereas the duties inmates were being relieved from were to be carried out during the day.

Peter H

Hi Peter

Hereditary witch is a fairly normal term to use, if one of your parents, one of your grandparents, one of your great grandparents, etc. were witches too.

Jo

-

peter VV

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 3:45 PM

Can you be hereditary at anything? witch,druid,plumber, sock fetishist,Professor,cop?

The Valley Vegan..............Peter Kebbell <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

Pagans observe the Celtic New Year's Eve on 31 October, which they see as Britain's indigenous New Year event. The Home Office, which agreed to the move, said it was committed to treating all prisoners with decency, which included respecting all religions. There are more than 300 registered Pagans in Britain's prisons. Cerridwen Connelly, who is a druid, believes it is an important decision. She told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "The main issue in this country today is getting more religious tolerance. "We can't say its okay for Muslims and Hindus but Pagans are second-class citizens. It has to be fairly done and this is one way of doing it." Ms Connelly, known as "dragon oak", added that people should be given the right to "celebrate their chosen spirituality on certain days of the year". Brian Caton, general secretary of the Prison Officers' Association, said he believed "there should be fairness across all religions" in prison. But he said Pagans should have been asked about when they preferred to celebrate the event. He pointed out that it is an evening festival, whereas the duties inmates were being relieved from were to be carried out during the day.

Peter H

Peter H

The all-new Mail goes wherever you go - free your email address from your Internet provider.

Hi Peter

>Can you be hereditary at anything? witch,druid,plumber, sock fetishist,Professor,cop?

Interestingly (or not), this topic came up on another list I'm on... I eventually decided that I'm a hereditary anarchist.

Technically, I could be classified as a " hereditary witch " , but to be honest, I'm more just myself! :-)

BB

Peter

Hi Jo

>It seems to be the latest craze around here - Druid and Wiccan etc. Maybe they should just call themselves

> eclectic.

Yep - I just don't understand why people want to suddenly be druids...

BB

Peter

cool robes?

Peter Kebbell Nov 1, 2006 8:09 AM Re: Pagan inmates to observe festival

Hi Jo

>It seems to be the latest craze around here - Druid and Wiccan etc. Maybe they should just call themselves

> eclectic.

BB

Peter

As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. William O. Douglas

HI Peter

I reckon it is because it is a title that is understood by the general public.

BBJo

p.s. I hope you had an enjoyable Samhain.

-

Peter Kebbell

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 4:09 PM

Hi Jo

> eclectic.

BB

Peter

HI Fraggle :-)

I reckon Wiccan robes are much better. Druids tend to stick to the off-white or brown robes. If I was going to dress up I would prefer the more normal Pagan attire - lovely medeival dresses and flowing cloaks.

Jo

-

fraggle

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 5:10 PM

cool robes?

Peter Kebbell Nov 1, 2006 8:09 AM Re: Pagan inmates to observe festival

Hi Jo

> eclectic.

BB

Peter

As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. William O. Douglas

Best way to be. The Valley Vegan..............Peter Kebbell <metalscarab wrote: Hi Peter >Can you be hereditary at anything? witch,druid,plumber, sock fetishist,Professor,cop? Interestingly (or not), this topic came up on another list I'm on... I eventually decided that I'm a hereditary anarchist. Technically, I could be classified as a "hereditary witch", but to be honest, I'm more just myself! :-) BB Peter Peter H

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.