IndiaDivine.org

Bad vibes in Glastonbury after Catholics against pagans

Rate this topic

Guest guest

From Saturdays edition of the times: BY THE light of the full moon, witches in Glastonbury will tonight be casting a “circle of protection” around Britain’s centre of mysticism after a group of militant Christians cast salt at them in an attempt to “cleanse” the town of paganism. One Roman Catholic was fined and two cautioned by police after the “alternative Hallowe’en” festival in Britain’s centre of magical mysticism turned into a spiritual battle between Christianity and paganism. Now even the local Catholic priest has told his fellow Christians that they are not welcome in the town. The Christians were visiting for the

Lightswitch@glastonbury festival, the eighth such event organised by the Catholic charity Youth 2000. Promotional material tempted them there with slogans such as: “Has the light on your halo gone dark? Have your wings gone a bit grubby? Just want to switch your faith back on?” Organised with the co-operation of the Catholic Parish Church and Shrine of Our Lady St Mary in Glastonbury, it was intended to be the Hallowe’en of choice “for those who have grown tired of tatty fancy dress and the Blair Witch Project”. But police were called after militants told locals that they wanted to cleanse the town of paganism, cast salt around to exorcise “evil” spirits and called one woman a “whore witch”. Yemaya Pinder, a witch and a member of the Pagan Federation who owns The Magick Box store, said thatshe believed the Christians should be prosecuted for a religious hate crime. Mrs Pinder, a mother of two and grandmother of four, and whose sister is an

Anglican vicar in Basildon, described how a group of Catholics had entered her shop and abused her. She said: “It was as if we had returned to the dark ages. They told me they wanted to cleanse Glastonbury of paganism. They said they had lighters and were going to come back and burn us down. When the police asked them to apologise, they refused.” She said there were no plans to put a curse on the Christians. “But we are doing protection for ourselves and the shop and the town. We are working magic for the healing and the damage they very nearly did between us and the local Roman Catholic church.” She said that the town’s witches had begun to work their magic, starting the protective circle on Samhein, the Celtic new year, last Tuesday, and planning to finish it using the “high energy” of tonight’s full moon. Dreow Bennett, the Archdruid of Glastonbury and leader of the pagan movement, said: “To call the behaviour of some of their members

medieval would be an understatement. I witnessed a pagan being called a ‘bloody witch’ and being told, ‘You will burn in hell’. “Apparently this man was not a diligent follower of the teachings of Christ. It was my understanding that Christ taught compassion and tolerance rather than hatred and ignorance.” Father Kevin Knox-Lecky, the Catholic parish priest at Glastonbury, said: “I was utterly appalled by the disgraceful behaviour, language and threats that were apparently made to members of the local pagan community by a small fringe group that attached itself to the Youth 2000 retreat last weekend in Glastonbury.” He said the militants were “unChristian and unrepresentative” of the majority of the 350 young people at the festival. He had since met Mrs Pinder and Mr Bennett. The conversation ended in “mutual embrace”. He said: “We have agreed to keep in touch with each other and to support each other in the event of negative attention from any

extremists from whichever faith. I have frequently found evidence of rites performed on my church steps.” Youth 2000 is a registered charity which aims to forge links between young Catholics through retreats and events. Charlie Connor, the managing director of Youth 2000, said that aiming “blessed salt” at pagans was in direct contravention of the spirit of Youth 2000. “For the avoidance of doubt, Youth 2000 does not condone or encourage this kind of behaviour from anyone. We fully agree that differences on matters of faith cannot and should not be resolved by any kind of harassment.” But he added: “Youth 2000 would also like to place on the record that many young people at the retreat were harassed, sworn at and even cursed by people. One incident included the taking of photographs of young people, including children, and numbers plates by people present in the town. They were forced to move on. Regrettably, Youth 2000 will not be running a festival

in Glastonbury next year.” Avon and Somerset police said: “The neighbourhood beat manager was on patrol on Saturday and was alerted that there was an incident at the Magick Box shop. The officer arrested a man for a public order offence. He was later released after being issued with a fixed penalty notice. Two women were also given cautions and words of advice about their future behaviour.” A SPIRITUAL BATTLE . . . WITH A LARGE PINCH OF SALT Glastonbury has become well known as the venue of one of the world’s most popular music festivals but its mystical roots go back much further Some believe it was the site of Avalon, the final resting place of King Arthur Salt, the origin of the word “salvation”, has an important place in many of the world’s religions Leonardo da Vinci’s famous painting The Last Supper shows Judas Iscariot spilling a bowl of salt, seen as an omen of evil

and bad luck Some Christians still believe that they should throw it over their shoulder to ward off devils that may be lurking behind themPeter H

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Thanks Peter. It is sad that people behave like this. I have had it

happen to me - been told I'll go to hell (which I don't believe in)

and, apparently, a couple of years ago at one of the Witchfest

meetings in Croydon and ten year old girl was called a 'Pagan

whore'!!! I fail to see how any Christian can be proud of such

behaviour.

The people in the Magick Box in Glastonbury seem to be very nice, and

I think a lot of Pagans will be sending positive thought for their

protection.

JO

, peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

>

> From Saturdays edition of the times:

>

>

> BY THE light of the full moon, witches in Glastonbury will

tonight be casting a " circle of protection " around Britain's centre

of mysticism after a group of militant Christians cast salt at them

in an attempt to " cleanse " the town of paganism.

NI_MPU('middle'); One Roman Catholic was fined and two cautioned by

police after the " alternative Hallowe'en " festival in Britain's

centre of magical mysticism turned into a spiritual battle between

Christianity and paganism. Now even the local Catholic priest has

told his fellow Christians that they are not welcome in the town.

The Christians were visiting for the Lightswitch@glastonbury

festival, the eighth such event organised by the Catholic charity

Youth 2000. Promotional material tempted them there with slogans such

as: " Has the light on your halo gone dark? Have your wings gone a bit

grubby? Just want to switch your faith back on? " Organised with the

co-operation of the Catholic Parish Church and

> Shrine of Our Lady St Mary in Glastonbury, it was intended to be

the Hallowe'en of choice " for those who have grown tired of tatty

fancy dress and the Blair Witch Project " . But police were called

after militants told locals that they wanted to cleanse the town of

paganism, cast salt around to exorcise " evil " spirits and called one

woman a " whore witch " . Yemaya Pinder, a witch and a member of the

Pagan Federation who owns The Magick Box store, said thatshe believed

the Christians should be prosecuted for a religious hate crime. Mrs

Pinder, a mother of two and grandmother of four, and whose sister is

an Anglican vicar in Basildon, described how a group of Catholics had

entered her shop and abused her. She said: " It was as if we had

returned to the dark ages. They told me they wanted to cleanse

Glastonbury of paganism. They said they had lighters and were going

to come back and burn us down. When the police asked them to

apologise, they refused. " She said there were

> no plans to put a curse on the Christians. " But we are doing

protection for ourselves and the shop and the town. We are working

magic for the healing and the damage they very nearly did between us

and the local Roman Catholic church. " She said that the town's

witches had begun to work their magic, starting the protective circle

on Samhein, the Celtic new year, last Tuesday, and planning to finish

it using the " high energy " of tonight's full moon. Dreow Bennett,

the Archdruid of Glastonbury and leader of the pagan movement,

said: " To call the behaviour of some of their members medieval would

be an understatement. I witnessed a pagan being called a `bloody

witch' and being told, `You will burn in hell'. " Apparently this

man was not a diligent follower of the teachings of Christ. It was my

understanding that Christ taught compassion and tolerance rather than

hatred and ignorance. " Father Kevin Knox-Lecky, the Catholic parish

priest at Glastonbury, said: " I was utterly

> appalled by the disgraceful behaviour, language and threats that

were apparently made to members of the local pagan community by a

small fringe group that attached itself to the Youth 2000 retreat

last weekend in Glastonbury. " He said the militants were " unChristian

and unrepresentative " of the majority of the 350 young people at the

festival. He had since met Mrs Pinder and Mr Bennett. The

conversation ended in " mutual embrace " . He said: " We have agreed to

keep in touch with each other and to support each other in the event

of negative attention from any extremists from whichever faith. I

have frequently found evidence of rites performed on my church

steps. " Youth 2000 is a registered charity which aims to forge

links between young Catholics through retreats and events. Charlie

Connor, the managing director of Youth 2000, said that

aiming " blessed salt " at pagans was in direct contravention of the

spirit of Youth 2000. " For the avoidance of doubt, Youth 2000 does

> not condone or encourage this kind of behaviour from anyone. We

fully agree that differences on matters of faith cannot and should

not be resolved by any kind of harassment. " But he added: " Youth

2000 would also like to place on the record that many young people at

the retreat were harassed, sworn at and even cursed by people. One

incident included the taking of photographs of young people,

including children, and numbers plates by people present in the town.

They were forced to move on. Regrettably, Youth 2000 will not be

running a festival in Glastonbury next year. " Avon and Somerset

police said: " The neighbourhood beat manager was on patrol on

Saturday and was alerted that there was an incident at the Magick Box

shop. The officer arrested a man for a public order offence. He was

later released after being issued with a fixed penalty notice. Two

women were also given cautions and words of advice about their future

behaviour. " A SPIRITUAL BATTLE . . . WITH A LARGE

> PINCH OF SALT

> Glastonbury has become well known as the venue of one of the

world's most popular music festivals but its mystical roots go back

much further

>

> Some believe it was the site of Avalon, the final resting place of

King Arthur

>

> Salt, the origin of the word " salvation " , has an important place in

many of the world's religions

>

> Leonardo da Vinci's famous painting The Last Supper shows Judas

Iscariot spilling a bowl of salt, seen as an omen of evil and bad

luck

>

> Some Christians still believe that they should throw it over their

shoulder to ward off devils that may be lurking behind them

>

>

> Peter H

>

>

> Send instant messages to your online friends

http://uk.messenger.

>

i'd go and plant a tree in the middle of their church...

right back at em.......

:)

peter VV Nov 4, 2006 11:50 PM Re: Bad vibes in Glastonbury after Catholics against pagans

From Saturdays edition of the times:

BY THE light of the full moon, witches in Glastonbury will tonight be casting a circle of protection around Britains centre of mysticism after a group of militant Christians cast salt at them in an attempt to cleanse the town of paganism.

NI_MPU('middle'); One Roman Catholic was fined and two cautioned by police after the alternative Halloween festival in Britains centre of magical mysticism turned into a spiritual battle between Christianity and paganism. Now even the local Catholic priest has told his fellow Christians that they are not welcome in the town. The Christians were visiting for the Lightswitch@glastonbury festival, the eighth such event organised by the Catholic charity Youth 2000. Promotional material tempted them there with slogans such as: Has the light on your halo gone dark? Have your wings gone a bit grubby? Just want to switch your faith back on? Organised with the co-operation of the Catholic Parish Church and Shrine of Our Lady St Mary in Glastonbury, it was intended to be the Halloween of choice for those who have grown tired of tatty fancy dress and the Blair Witch Project. But police were called after militants told locals that they wanted to cleanse the town of paganism, cast salt around to exorcise evil spirits and called one woman a whore witch. Yemaya Pinder, a witch and a member of the Pagan Federation who owns The Magick Box store, said thatshe believed the Christians should be prosecuted for a religious hate crime. Mrs Pinder, a mother of two and grandmother of four, and whose sister is an Anglican vicar in Basildon, described how a group of Catholics had entered her shop and abused her. She said: It was as if we had returned to the dark ages. They told me they wanted to cleanse Glastonbury of paganism. They said they had lighters and were going to come back and burn us down. When the police asked them to apologise, they refused. She said there were no plans to put a curse on the Christians. But we are doing protection for ourselves and the shop and the town. We are working magic for the healing and the damage they very nearly did between us and the local Roman Catholic church. She said that the towns witches had begun to work their magic, starting the protective circle on Samhein, the Celtic new year, last Tuesday, and planning to finish it using the high energy of tonights full moon. Dreow Bennett, the Archdruid of Glastonbury and leader of the pagan movement, said: To call the behaviour of some of their members medieval would be an understatement. I witnessed a pagan being called a bloody witch and being told, You will burn in hell. Apparently this man was not a diligent follower of the teachings of Christ. It was my understanding that Christ taught compassion and tolerance rather than hatred and ignorance. Father Kevin Knox-Lecky, the Catholic parish priest at Glastonbury, said: I was utterly appalled by the disgraceful behaviour, language and threats that were apparently made to members of the local pagan community by a small fringe group that attached itself to the Youth 2000 retreat last weekend in Glastonbury. He said the militants were unChristian and unrepresentative of the majority of the 350 young people at the festival. He had since met Mrs Pinder and Mr Bennett. The conversation ended in mutual embrace. He said: We have agreed to keep in touch with each other and to support each other in the event of negative attention from any extremists from whichever faith. I have frequently found evidence of rites performed on my church steps. Youth 2000 is a registered charity which aims to forge links between young Catholics through retreats and events. Charlie Connor, the managing director of Youth 2000, said that aiming blessed salt at pagans was in direct contravention of the spirit of Youth 2000. For the avoidance of doubt, Youth 2000 does not condone or encourage this kind of behaviour from anyone. We fully agree that differences on matters of faith cannot and should not be resolved by any kind of harassment. But he added: Youth 2000 would also like to place on the record that many young people at the retreat were harassed, sworn at and even cursed by people. One incident included the taking of photographs of young people, including children, and numbers plates by people present in the town. They were forced to move on. Regrettably, Youth 2000 will not be running a festival in Glastonbury next year. Avon and Somerset police said: The neighbourhood beat manager was on patrol on Saturday and was alerted that there was an incident at the Magick Box shop. The officer arrested a man for a public order offence. He was later released after being issued with a fixed penalty notice. Two women were also given cautions and words of advice about their future behaviour. A SPIRITUAL BATTLE . . . WITH A LARGE PINCH OF SALT

Glastonbury has become well known as the venue of one of the worlds most popular music festivals but its mystical roots go back much further

Some believe it was the site of Avalon, the final resting place of King Arthur

Salt, the origin of the word salvation, has an important place in many of the worlds religions

Leonardo da Vincis famous painting The Last Supper shows Judas Iscariot spilling a bowl of salt, seen as an omen of evil and bad luck

Some Christians still believe that they should throw it over their shoulder to ward off devils that may be lurking behind them

Peter H

As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. William O. Douglas

sadly, is all too common

my god can piss further then your god........

i find it disturbing that most so -called x-tians don't seem t ocare one iota

for any of the gospels...

who would jesus bomb?

fraggle

>heartwerk <jo.heartwork

>Nov 6, 2006 11:48 PM

>

> Re: Bad vibes in Glastonbury after Catholics against

pagans

>

>Thanks Peter. It is sad that people behave like this. I have had it

>happen to me - been told I'll go to hell (which I don't believe in)

>and, apparently, a couple of years ago at one of the Witchfest

>meetings in Croydon and ten year old girl was called a 'Pagan

>whore'!!! I fail to see how any Christian can be proud of such

>behaviour.

>

>The people in the Magick Box in Glastonbury seem to be very nice, and

>I think a lot of Pagans will be sending positive thought for their

>protection.

>

>JO

>

As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances,

there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in

such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest

we become unwitting victims of the darkness.

William O. Douglas

I was watching an article on the news the other day where an old listed church was being taken down and re-built at a welsh folk museum, and the interesting thing was that it had 5 stone alters?, and apparently these were allripped out in the 16th century? anyone know anything about why 5 , and why they were outlawed? The Valley Vegan.................fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: i'd go and plant a tree in the middle of their church... right back at em....... :) peter VV Nov 4, 2006 11:50 PM Subject:

Re: Bad vibes in Glastonbury after Catholics against pagans From Saturdays edition of the times: BY THE light of the full moon, witches in Glastonbury will tonight be casting a “circle of protection” around Britain’s centre of mysticism after a group of militant Christians cast salt at them in an attempt to “cleanse” the town of paganism. NI_MPU('middle'); One Roman Catholic was fined and two cautioned by police after the “alternative Hallowe’en” festival in Britain’s centre of magical mysticism turned into a spiritual battle between Christianity and paganism. Now even the local Catholic priest has told his fellow

Christians that they are not welcome in the town. The Christians were visiting for the Lightswitch@glastonbury festival, the eighth such event organised by the Catholic charity Youth 2000. Promotional material tempted them there with slogans such as: “Has the light on your halo gone dark? Have your wings gone a bit grubby? Just want to switch your faith back on?” Organised with the co-operation of the Catholic Parish Church and Shrine of Our Lady St Mary in Glastonbury, it was intended to be the Hallowe’en of choice “for those who have grown tired of tatty fancy dress and the Blair Witch Project”. But police were called after militants told locals that they wanted to cleanse the town of paganism, cast salt around to exorcise “evil” spirits and called one woman a “whore witch”. Yemaya Pinder, a witch and a member of the Pagan Federation who owns The Magick Box store, said thatshe believed the Christians should be prosecuted for a religious hate

crime. Mrs Pinder, a mother of two and grandmother of four, and whose sister is an Anglican vicar in Basildon, described how a group of Catholics had entered her shop and abused her. She said: “It was as if we had returned to the dark ages. They told me they wanted to cleanse Glastonbury of paganism. They said they had lighters and were going to come back and burn us down. When the police asked them to apologise, they refused.” She said there were no plans to put a curse on the Christians. “But we are doing protection for ourselves and the shop and the town. We are working magic for the healing and the damage they very nearly did between us and the local Roman Catholic church.” She said that the town’s witches had begun to work their magic, starting the protective circle on Samhein, the Celtic new year, last Tuesday, and planning to finish it using the “high energy” of tonight’s full moon. Dreow Bennett, the Archdruid of Glastonbury and

leader of the pagan movement, said: “To call the behaviour of some of their members medieval would be an understatement. I witnessed a pagan being called a ‘bloody witch’ and being told, ‘You will burn in hell’. “Apparently this man was not a diligent follower of the teachings of Christ. It was my understanding that Christ taught compassion and tolerance rather than hatred and ignorance.” Father Kevin Knox-Lecky, the Catholic parish priest at Glastonbury, said: “I was utterly appalled by the disgraceful behaviour, language and threats that were apparently made to members of the local pagan community by a small fringe group that attached itself to the Youth 2000 retreat last weekend in Glastonbury.” He said the militants were “unChristian and unrepresentative” of the majority of the 350 young people at the festival. He had since met Mrs Pinder and Mr Bennett. The conversation ended in “mutual embrace”. He said: “We have agreed to keep in touch with each

other and to support each other in the event of negative attention from any extremists from whichever faith. I have frequently found evidence of rites performed on my church steps.” Youth 2000 is a registered charity which aims to forge links between young Catholics through retreats and events. Charlie Connor, the managing director of Youth 2000, said that aiming “blessed salt” at pagans was in direct contravention of the spirit of Youth 2000. “For the avoidance of doubt, Youth 2000 does not condone or encourage this kind of behaviour from anyone. We fully agree that differences on matters of faith cannot and should not be resolved by any kind of harassment.” But he added: “Youth 2000 would also like to place on the record that many young people at the retreat were harassed, sworn at and even cursed by people. One incident included the taking of photographs of young people, including children, and numbers plates by people present in the town. They were

forced to move on. Regrettably, Youth 2000 will not be running a festival in Glastonbury next year.” Avon and Somerset police said: “The neighbourhood beat manager was on patrol on Saturday and was alerted that there was an incident at the Magick Box shop. The officer arrested a man for a public order offence. He was later released after being issued with a fixed penalty notice. Two women were also given cautions and words of advice about their future behaviour.” A SPIRITUAL BATTLE . . . WITH A LARGE PINCH OF SALT Glastonbury has become well known as the venue of one of the world’s most popular music festivals but its mystical roots go back much further Some believe it was the site of Avalon, the final resting place of King Arthur Salt, the origin of the word “salvation”, has an important place in many of the world’s religions Leonardo da Vinci’s famous painting The Last

Supper shows Judas Iscariot spilling a bowl of salt, seen as an omen of evil and bad luck Some Christians still believe that they should throw it over their shoulder to ward off devils that may be lurking behind them Peter H Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. William O. Douglas Peter H

I see a lot of christian extremist articles in America on the net, its worrying that they seem to have such blinkered views on belief systems............as Dave Allen used to say at the end of his comedy programmes.....may your god go with you............ The Valley Vegan.............heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote: Thanks Peter. It is sad that people behave like this. I have had it happen to me - been told I'll go to hell (which I don't believe in) and, apparently, a couple of years ago at one of the Witchfest meetings in Croydon and ten year old girl was called a 'Pagan whore'!!! I fail to see how any Christian can be proud of such behaviour.The people in the Magick Box in Glastonbury seem to be very nice, and I think a lot of Pagans will be

sending positive thought for their protection.JO , peter VV wrote:>> From Saturdays edition of the times:> > > BY THE light of the full moon, witches in Glastonbury will tonight be casting a "circle of protection" around Britain's centre of mysticism after a group of militant Christians cast salt at them in an attempt to "cleanse" the town of paganism. NI_MPU('middle'); One Roman Catholic was fined and two cautioned by police after the "alternative Hallowe'en" festival in Britain's centre of magical mysticism turned into a spiritual battle between Christianity and paganism. Now even the local Catholic priest has told his fellow Christians that they are not welcome in the town. The Christians were visiting for the Lightswitch@glastonbury festival, the eighth such event organised by the Catholic charity Youth 2000. Promotional

material tempted them there with slogans such as: "Has the light on your halo gone dark? Have your wings gone a bit grubby? Just want to switch your faith back on?" Organised with the co-operation of the Catholic Parish Church and> Shrine of Our Lady St Mary in Glastonbury, it was intended to be the Hallowe'en of choice "for those who have grown tired of tatty fancy dress and the Blair Witch Project". But police were called after militants told locals that they wanted to cleanse the town of paganism, cast salt around to exorcise "evil" spirits and called one woman a "whore witch". Yemaya Pinder, a witch and a member of the Pagan Federation who owns The Magick Box store, said thatshe believed the Christians should be prosecuted for a religious hate crime. Mrs Pinder, a mother of two and grandmother of four, and whose sister is an Anglican vicar in Basildon, described how a group of Catholics had entered her shop and

abused her. She said: "It was as if we had returned to the dark ages. They told me they wanted to cleanse Glastonbury of paganism. They said they had lighters and were going to come back and burn us down. When the police asked them to apologise, they refused." She said there were> no plans to put a curse on the Christians. "But we are doing protection for ourselves and the shop and the town. We are working magic for the healing and the damage they very nearly did between us and the local Roman Catholic church." She said that the town's witches had begun to work their magic, starting the protective circle on Samhein, the Celtic new year, last Tuesday, and planning to finish it using the "high energy" of tonight's full moon. Dreow Bennett, the Archdruid of Glastonbury and leader of the pagan movement, said: "To call the behaviour of some of their members medieval would be an understatement. I witnessed a pagan being

called a `bloody witch' and being told, `You will burn in hell'. "Apparently this man was not a diligent follower of the teachings of Christ. It was my understanding that Christ taught compassion and tolerance rather than hatred and ignorance." Father Kevin Knox-Lecky, the Catholic parish priest at Glastonbury, said: "I was utterly> appalled by the disgraceful behaviour, language and threats that were apparently made to members of the local pagan community by a small fringe group that attached itself to the Youth 2000 retreat last weekend in Glastonbury." He said the militants were "unChristian and unrepresentative" of the majority of the 350 young people at the festival. He had since met Mrs Pinder and Mr Bennett. The conversation ended in "mutual embrace". He said: "We have agreed to keep in touch with each other and to support each other in the event of negative attention from any extremists from whichever

faith. I have frequently found evidence of rites performed on my church steps." Youth 2000 is a registered charity which aims to forge links between young Catholics through retreats and events. Charlie Connor, the managing director of Youth 2000, said that aiming "blessed salt" at pagans was in direct contravention of the spirit of Youth 2000. "For the avoidance of doubt, Youth 2000 does> not condone or encourage this kind of behaviour from anyone. We fully agree that differences on matters of faith cannot and should not be resolved by any kind of harassment." But he added: "Youth 2000 would also like to place on the record that many young people at the retreat were harassed, sworn at and even cursed by people. One incident included the taking of photographs of young people, including children, and numbers plates by people present in the town. They were forced to move on. Regrettably, Youth 2000 will not be

running a festival in Glastonbury next year." Avon and Somerset police said: "The neighbourhood beat manager was on patrol on Saturday and was alerted that there was an incident at the Magick Box shop. The officer arrested a man for a public order offence. He was later released after being issued with a fixed penalty notice. Two women were also given cautions and words of advice about their future behaviour." A SPIRITUAL BATTLE . . . WITH A LARGE> PINCH OF SALT > Glastonbury has become well known as the venue of one of the world's most popular music festivals but its mystical roots go back much further > > Some believe it was the site of Avalon, the final resting place of King Arthur > > Salt, the origin of the word "salvation", has an important place in many of the world's religions > > Leonardo da Vinci's famous painting The Last Supper shows Judas Iscariot spilling a

bowl of salt, seen as an omen of evil and bad luck > > Some Christians still believe that they should throw it over their shoulder to ward off devils that may be lurking behind them> > > Peter H > > > Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.>To send an email to -

Hi Peter

I am not an expert on churches but I do know that old churches have an altar in the north entrance to accommodate the Pagans that were being forced to convert.

Jo

-

peter VV

Tuesday, November 07, 2006 7:42 PM

Re: Bad vibes in Glastonbury after Catholics against pagans

I was watching an article on the news the other day where an old listed church was being taken down and re-built at a welsh folk museum, and the interesting thing was that it had 5 stone alters?, and apparently these were allripped out in the 16th century? anyone know anything about why 5 , and why they were outlawed?

The Valley Vegan.................fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

right back at em.......

peter VV Nov 4, 2006 11:50 PM Re: Bad vibes in Glastonbury after Catholics against pagans

BY THE light of the full moon, witches in Glastonbury will tonight be casting a “circle of protection” around Britain’s centre of mysticism after a group of militant Christians cast salt at them in an attempt to “cleanse” the town of paganism.

NI_MPU('middle'); One Roman Catholic was fined and two cautioned by police after the “alternative Hallowe’en” festival in Britain’s centre of magical mysticism turned into a spiritual battle between Christianity and paganism. Now even the local Catholic priest has told his fellow Christians that they are not welcome in the town. The Christians were visiting for the Lightswitch@glastonbury festival, the eighth such event organised by the Catholic charity Youth 2000. Promotional material tempted them there with slogans such as: “Has the light on your halo gone dark? Have your wings gone a bit grubby? Just want to switch your faith back on?” Organised with the co-operation of the Catholic Parish Church and Shrine of Our Lady St Mary in Glastonbury, it was intended to be the Hallowe’en of choice “for those who have grown tired of tatty fancy dress and the Blair Witch Project”. But police were called after militants told locals that they wanted to cleanse the town of paganism, cast salt around to exorcise “evil” spirits and called one woman a “whore witch”. Yemaya Pinder, a witch and a member of the Pagan Federation who owns The Magick Box store, said thatshe believed the Christians should be prosecuted for a religious hate crime. Mrs Pinder, a mother of two and grandmother of four, and whose sister is an Anglican vicar in Basildon, described how a group of Catholics had entered her shop and abused her. She said: “It was as if we had returned to the dark ages. They told me they wanted to cleanse Glastonbury of paganism. They said they had lighters and were going to come back and burn us down. When the police asked them to apologise, they refused.” She said there were no plans to put a curse on the Christians. “But we are doing protection for ourselves and the shop and the town. We are working magic for the healing and the damage they very nearly did between us and the local Roman Catholic church.” She said that the town’s witches had begun to work their magic, starting the protective circle on Samhein, the Celtic new year, last Tuesday, and planning to finish it using the “high energy” of tonight’s full moon. Dreow Bennett, the Archdruid of Glastonbury and leader of the pagan movement, said: “To call the behaviour of some of their members medieval would be an understatement. I witnessed a pagan being called a ‘bloody witch’ and being told, ‘You will burn in hell’. “Apparently this man was not a diligent follower of the teachings of Christ. It was my understanding that Christ taught compassion and tolerance rather than hatred and ignorance.” Father Kevin Knox-Lecky, the Catholic parish priest at Glastonbury, said: “I was utterly appalled by the disgraceful behaviour, language and threats that were apparently made to members of the local pagan community by a small fringe group that attached itself to the Youth 2000 retreat last weekend in Glastonbury.” He said the militants were “unChristian and unrepresentative” of the majority of the 350 young people at the festival. He had since met Mrs Pinder and Mr Bennett. The conversation ended in “mutual embrace”. He said: “We have agreed to keep in touch with each other and to support each other in the event of negative attention from any extremists from whichever faith. I have frequently found evidence of rites performed on my church steps.” Youth 2000 is a registered charity which aims to forge links between young Catholics through retreats and events. Charlie Connor, the managing director of Youth 2000, said that aiming “blessed salt” at pagans was in direct contravention of the spirit of Youth 2000. “For the avoidance of doubt, Youth 2000 does not condone or encourage this kind of behaviour from anyone. We fully agree that differences on matters of faith cannot and should not be resolved by any kind of harassment.” But he added: “Youth 2000 would also like to place on the record that many young people at the retreat were harassed, sworn at and even cursed by people. One incident included the taking of photographs of young people, including children, and numbers plates by people present in the town. They were forced to move on. Regrettably, Youth 2000 will not be running a festival in Glastonbury next year.” Avon and Somerset police said: “The neighbourhood beat manager was on patrol on Saturday and was alerted that there was an incident at the Magick Box shop. The officer arrested a man for a public order offence. He was later released after being issued with a fixed penalty notice. Two women were also given cautions and words of advice about their future behaviour.” A SPIRITUAL BATTLE . . . WITH A LARGE PINCH OF SALT

Glastonbury has become well known as the venue of one of the world’s most popular music festivals but its mystical roots go back much further

Salt, the origin of the word “salvation”, has an important place in many of the world’s religions

Leonardo da Vinci’s famous painting The Last Supper shows Judas Iscariot spilling a bowl of salt, seen as an omen of evil and bad luck

Some Christians still believe that they should throw it over their shoulder to ward off devils that may be lurking behind them

Peter H

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. William O. Douglas

Peter H

I agree with that.

Jo

-

peter VV

Tuesday, November 07, 2006 7:52 PM

Re: Re: Bad vibes in Glastonbury after Catholics against pagans

I see a lot of christian extremist articles in America on the net, its worrying that they seem to have such blinkered views on belief systems............as Dave Allen used to say at the end of his comedy programmes.....may your god go with you............

The Valley Vegan.............heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:

Thanks Peter. It is sad that people behave like this. I have had it happen to me - been told I'll go to hell (which I don't believe in) and, apparently, a couple of years ago at one of the Witchfest meetings in Croydon and ten year old girl was called a 'Pagan whore'!!! I fail to see how any Christian can be proud of such behaviour.The people in the Magick Box in Glastonbury seem to be very nice, and I think a lot of Pagans will be sending positive thought for their protection.JO , peter VV wrote:>> From Saturdays edition of the times:> > > BY THE light of the full moon, witches in Glastonbury will tonight be casting a "circle of protection" around Britain's centre of mysticism after a group of militant Christians cast salt at them in an attempt to "cleanse" the town of paganism. NI_MPU('middle'); One Roman Catholic was fined and two cautioned by police after the "alternative Hallowe'en" festival in Britain's centre of magical mysticism turned into a spiritual battle between Christianity and paganism. Now even the local Catholic priest has told his fellow Christians that they are not welcome in the town. The Christians were visiting for the Lightswitch@glastonbury festival, the eighth such event organised by the Catholic charity Youth 2000. Promotional material tempted them there with slogans such as: "Has the light on your halo gone dark? Have your wings gone a bit grubby? Just want to switch your faith back on?" Organised with the co-operation of the Catholic Parish Church and> Shrine of Our Lady St Mary in Glastonbury, it was intended to be the Hallowe'en of choice "for those who have grown tired of tatty fancy dress and the Blair Witch Project". But police were called after militants told locals that they wanted to cleanse the town of paganism, cast salt around to exorcise "evil" spirits and called one woman a "whore witch". Yemaya Pinder, a witch and a member of the Pagan Federation who owns The Magick Box store, said thatshe believed the Christians should be prosecuted for a religious hate crime. Mrs Pinder, a mother of two and grandmother of four, and whose sister is an Anglican vicar in Basildon, described how a group of Catholics had entered her shop and abused her. She said: "It was as if we had returned to the dark ages. They told me they wanted to cleanse Glastonbury of paganism. They said they had lighters and were going to come back and burn us down. When the police asked them to apologise, they refused." She said there were> no plans to put a curse on the Christians. "But we are doing protection for ourselves and the shop and the town. We are working magic for the healing and the damage they very nearly did between us and the local Roman Catholic church." She said that the town's witches had begun to work their magic, starting the protective circle on Samhein, the Celtic new year, last Tuesday, and planning to finish it using the "high energy" of tonight's full moon. Dreow Bennett, the Archdruid of Glastonbury and leader of the pagan movement, said: "To call the behaviour of some of their members medieval would be an understatement. I witnessed a pagan being called a `bloody witch' and being told, `You will burn in hell'. "Apparently this man was not a diligent follower of the teachings of Christ. It was my understanding that Christ taught compassion and tolerance rather than hatred and ignorance." Father Kevin Knox-Lecky, the Catholic parish priest at Glastonbury, said: "I was utterly> appalled by the disgraceful behaviour, language and threats that were apparently made to members of the local pagan community by a small fringe group that attached itself to the Youth 2000 retreat last weekend in Glastonbury." He said the militants were "unChristian and unrepresentative" of the majority of the 350 young people at the festival. He had since met Mrs Pinder and Mr Bennett. The conversation ended in "mutual embrace". He said: "We have agreed to keep in touch with each other and to support each other in the event of negative attention from any extremists from whichever faith. I have frequently found evidence of rites performed on my church steps." Youth 2000 is a registered charity which aims to forge links between young Catholics through retreats and events. Charlie Connor, the managing director of Youth 2000, said that aiming "blessed salt" at pagans was in direct contravention of the spirit of Youth 2000. "For the avoidance of doubt, Youth 2000 does> not condone or encourage this kind of behaviour from anyone. We fully agree that differences on matters of faith cannot and should not be resolved by any kind of harassment." But he added: "Youth 2000 would also like to place on the record that many young people at the retreat were harassed, sworn at and even cursed by people. One incident included the taking of photographs of young people, including children, and numbers plates by people present in the town. They were forced to move on. Regrettably, Youth 2000 will not be running a festival in Glastonbury next year." Avon and Somerset police said: "The neighbourhood beat manager was on patrol on Saturday and was alerted that there was an incident at the Magick Box shop. The officer arrested a man for a public order offence. He was later released after being issued with a fixed penalty notice. Two women were also given cautions and words of advice about their future behaviour." A SPIRITUAL BATTLE . . . WITH A LARGE> PINCH OF SALT > Glastonbury has become well known as the venue of one of the world's most popular music festivals but its mystical roots go back much further > > Some believe it was the site of Avalon, the final resting place of King Arthur > > Salt, the origin of the word "salvation", has an important place in many of the world's religions > > Leonardo da Vinci's famous painting The Last Supper shows Judas Iscariot spilling a bowl of salt, seen as an omen of evil and bad luck > > Some Christians still believe that they should throw it over their shoulder to ward off devils that may be lurking behind them> > > Peter H > > > Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.>To send an email to -

could it have been a collegiate chuch, with a community of priests?

sorry..welsh churches are sorta out of my league i think

peter VV Nov 7, 2006 11:42 AM Re: Bad vibes in Glastonbury after Catholics against pagans

I was watching an article on the news the other day where an old listed church was being taken down and re-built at a welsh folk museum, and the interesting thing was that it had 5 stone alters?, and apparently these were allripped out in the 16th century? anyone know anything about why 5 , and why they were outlawed?

right back at em.......

BY THE light of the full moon, witches in Glastonbury will tonight be casting a circle of protection around Britains centre of mysticism after a group of militant Christians cast salt at them in an attempt to cleanse the town of paganism.

NI_MPU('middle'); One Roman Catholic was fined and two cautioned by police after the alternative Halloween festival in Britains centre of magical mysticism turned into a spiritual battle between Christianity and paganism. Now even the local Catholic priest has told his fellow Christians that they are not welcome in the town. The Christians were visiting for the Lightswitch@glastonbury festival, the eighth such event organised by the Catholic charity Youth 2000. Promotional material tempted them there with slogans such as: Has the light on your halo gone dark? Have your wings gone a bit grubby? Just want to switch your faith back on? Organised with the co-operation of the Catholic Parish Church and Shrine of Our Lady St Mary in Glastonbury, it was intended to be the Halloween of choice for those who have grown tired of tatty fancy dress and the Blair Witch Project. But police were called after militants told locals that they wanted to cleanse the town of paganism, cast salt around to exorcise evil spirits and called one woman a whore witch. Yemaya Pinder, a witch and a member of the Pagan Federation who owns The Magick Box store, said thatshe believed the Christians should be prosecuted for a religious hate crime. Mrs Pinder, a mother of two and grandmother of four, and whose sister is an Anglican vicar in Basildon, described how a group of Catholics had entered her shop and abused her. She said: It was as if we had returned to the dark ages. They told me they wanted to cleanse Glastonbury of paganism. They said they had lighters and were going to come back and burn us down. When the police asked them to apologise, they refused. She said there were no plans to put a curse on the Christians. But we are doing protection for ourselves and the shop and the town. We are working magic for the healing and the damage they very nearly did between us and the local Roman Catholic church. She said that the towns witches had begun to work their magic, starting the protective circle on Samhein, the Celtic new year, last Tuesday, and planning to finish it using the high energy of tonights full moon. Dreow Bennett, the Archdruid of Glastonbury and leader of the pagan movement, said: To call the behaviour of some of their members medieval would be an understatement. I witnessed a pagan being called a bloody witch and being told, You will burn in hell. Apparently this man was not a diligent follower of the teachings of Christ. It was my understanding that Christ taught compassion and tolerance rather than hatred and ignorance. Father Kevin Knox-Lecky, the Catholic parish priest at Glastonbury, said: I was utterly appalled by the disgraceful behaviour, language and threats that were apparently made to members of the local pagan community by a small fringe group that attached itself to the Youth 2000 retreat last weekend in Glastonbury. He said the militants were unChristian and unrepresentative of the majority of the 350 young people at the festival. He had since met Mrs Pinder and Mr Bennett. The conversation ended in mutual embrace. He said: We have agreed to keep in touch with each other and to support each other in the event of negative attention from any extremists from whichever faith. I have frequently found evidence of rites performed on my church steps. Youth 2000 is a registered charity which aims to forge links between young Catholics through retreats and events. Charlie Connor, the managing director of Youth 2000, said that aiming blessed salt at pagans was in direct contravention of the spirit of Youth 2000. For the avoidance of doubt, Youth 2000 does not condone or encourage this kind of behaviour from anyone. We fully agree that differences on matters of faith cannot and should not be resolved by any kind of harassment. But he added: Youth 2000 would also like to place on the record that many young people at the retreat were harassed, sworn at and even cursed by people. One incident included the taking of photographs of young people, including children, and numbers plates by people present in the town. They were forced to move on. Regrettably, Youth 2000 will not be running a festival in Glastonbury next year. Avon and Somerset police said: The neighbourhood beat manager was on patrol on Saturday and was alerted that there was an incident at the Magick Box shop. The officer arrested a man for a public order offence. He was later released after being issued with a fixed penalty notice. Two women were also given cautions and words of advice about their future behaviour. A SPIRITUAL BATTLE . . . WITH A LARGE PINCH OF SALT

Glastonbury has become well known as the venue of one of the worlds most popular music festivals but its mystical roots go back much further

Salt, the origin of the word salvation, has an important place in many of the worlds religions

Leonardo da Vincis famous painting The Last Supper shows Judas Iscariot spilling a bowl of salt, seen as an omen of evil and bad luck

Peter H

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. William O. Douglas

Peter H

As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. William O. Douglas

Sorry, I realy am ignorant, I just wondered if there were pagan origins, I dont understand the word collegiate, sorry. The Valley Vegan.................fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: could it have been a collegiate chuch, with a community of priests? sorry..welsh churches are sorta out of my league i think peter VV Nov 7, 2006 11:42 AM Re: Bad vibes in Glastonbury after Catholics against pagans I was watching an article on the news the

other day where an old listed church was being taken down and re-built at a welsh folk museum, and the interesting thing was that it had 5 stone alters?, and apparently these were allripped out in the 16th century? anyone know anything about why 5 , and why they were outlawed? The Valley Vegan.................fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: i'd go and plant a tree in the middle of their church... right back at em....... :) peter VV Nov 4, 2006 11:50 PM Re: Bad vibes in Glastonbury

after Catholics against pagans From Saturdays edition of the times: BY THE light of the full moon, witches in Glastonbury will tonight be casting a “circle of protection” around Britain’s centre of mysticism after a group of militant Christians cast salt at them in an attempt to “cleanse” the town of paganism. NI_MPU('middle'); One Roman Catholic was fined and two cautioned by police after the “alternative Hallowe’en” festival in Britain’s centre of magical mysticism turned into a spiritual battle between Christianity and paganism. Now even the local Catholic priest has told his fellow Christians that they are not welcome in the town. The Christians were visiting for the Lightswitch@glastonbury festival, the eighth such event organised by the Catholic charity Youth 2000. Promotional material tempted them there with slogans such as: “Has the light on your halo gone dark? Have your wings gone a bit grubby? Just want to switch your faith back on?” Organised with the co-operation of the Catholic Parish Church and Shrine of Our Lady St Mary in Glastonbury, it was intended to be the Hallowe’en of choice “for those who have grown tired of tatty fancy dress and the Blair Witch Project”. But police were called after militants told locals that they wanted to cleanse the town of paganism, cast salt around to exorcise “evil” spirits and called one woman a “whore witch”. Yemaya Pinder, a witch and a member of the Pagan Federation who owns The Magick Box store, said thatshe believed the Christians should be prosecuted for a religious hate crime. Mrs Pinder, a mother of two and

grandmother of four, and whose sister is an Anglican vicar in Basildon, described how a group of Catholics had entered her shop and abused her. She said: “It was as if we had returned to the dark ages. They told me they wanted to cleanse Glastonbury of paganism. They said they had lighters and were going to come back and burn us down. When the police asked them to apologise, they refused.” She said there were no plans to put a curse on the Christians. “But we are doing protection for ourselves and the shop and the town. We are working magic for the healing and the damage they very nearly did between us and the local Roman Catholic church.” She said that the town’s witches had begun to work their magic, starting the protective circle on Samhein, the Celtic new year, last Tuesday, and planning to finish it using the “high energy” of tonight’s full moon. Dreow Bennett, the Archdruid of Glastonbury and leader of the pagan movement, said: “To call

the behaviour of some of their members medieval would be an understatement. I witnessed a pagan being called a ‘bloody witch’ and being told, ‘You will burn in hell’. “Apparently this man was not a diligent follower of the teachings of Christ. It was my understanding that Christ taught compassion and tolerance rather than hatred and ignorance.” Father Kevin Knox-Lecky, the Catholic parish priest at Glastonbury, said: “I was utterly appalled by the disgraceful behaviour, language and threats that were apparently made to members of the local pagan community by a small fringe group that attached itself to the Youth 2000 retreat last weekend in Glastonbury.” He said the militants were “unChristian and unrepresentative” of the majority of the 350 young people at the festival. He had since met Mrs Pinder and Mr Bennett. The conversation ended in “mutual embrace”. He said: “We have agreed to keep in touch with each other and to support each other in the event

of negative attention from any extremists from whichever faith. I have frequently found evidence of rites performed on my church steps.” Youth 2000 is a registered charity which aims to forge links between young Catholics through retreats and events. Charlie Connor, the managing director of Youth 2000, said that aiming “blessed salt” at pagans was in direct contravention of the spirit of Youth 2000. “For the avoidance of doubt, Youth 2000 does not condone or encourage this kind of behaviour from anyone. We fully agree that differences on matters of faith cannot and should not be resolved by any kind of harassment.” But he added: “Youth 2000 would also like to place on the record that many young people at the retreat were harassed, sworn at and even cursed by people. One incident included the taking of photographs of young people, including children, and numbers plates by people present in the town. They were forced to move on. Regrettably, Youth 2000

will not be running a festival in Glastonbury next year.” Avon and Somerset police said: “The neighbourhood beat manager was on patrol on Saturday and was alerted that there was an incident at the Magick Box shop. The officer arrested a man for a public order offence. He was later released after being issued with a fixed penalty notice. Two women were also given cautions and words of advice about their future behaviour.” A SPIRITUAL BATTLE . . . WITH A LARGE PINCH OF SALT Glastonbury has become well known as the venue of one of the world’s most popular music festivals but its mystical roots go back much further Some believe it was the site of Avalon, the final resting place of King Arthur Salt, the origin of the word “salvation”, has an important place in many of the world’s religions Leonardo da Vinci’s famous painting The Last Supper shows Judas Iscariot spilling a bowl

of salt, seen as an omen of evil and bad luck Some Christians still believe that they should throw it over their shoulder to ward off devils that may be lurking behind them Peter H Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air,

however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. William O. Douglas Peter H Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. William O. Douglas Peter H

I wonder why they had 5 originally though? seems an odd number, I wonder if Peter would know if there would be any pagan origins there?, and also what happened in the 16th century that made them decide to abolish these alters en masse ( pun attempted ). History The church is believed to have been built during the thirteenth century on the site of an earlier pre-Norman church. Over the ensuing centuries the building was altered and extended. The oldest parts of the present structure, the nave and chancel, are believed to have been built during the 13/14th century though their present form is more likely to be early 15th century in date. During the late 14th century, two small transepts, or chapels, were added to the north

and south of the chancel to create a cruciform church. Two arches were formed to link both transepts to the chancel. The north chapel was known as the Gronow Chapel, presumably in recognition of its benefactor. During the late 15th century the church's capacity was increased by the addition of an aisle to the south side of the nave. The old south wall was replaced by two arches, with a third arch opening into the chancel. In order to improve the congregation's view of the altar from the south aisle, a squint opening was formed through one of the side walls of the chancel arch. Finally, a porch was added to the entrance door leading into the south aisle of the church. Architectural Features The roof timbers are of typical early fifteenth century design (arch-braced collar-beams) though they may in fact be somewhat later in date. The west wall of the nave was altered in the early 18th century (datestone 1736) and most of the stone-mullioned windows were

replaced by timber-mullioned windows at this time. Later, some of these windows were blocked and new (Victorian gothic) windows inserted in the north and south walls. One original two-light stone-mullioned window (14/15th century) survives in the south aisle. The head of another two-light cusped window were found in the North Chapel where they had been used to block-up a window opening. Probably the oldest surviving feature of the church is the stone font which is believed to have been carved in the thirteenth century, but which may, in fact be even earlier. The Valley Vegan.................jo <jo.heartwork wrote: Hi Peter I am not an expert on churches but I do know that old churches have an altar in the north entrance to accommodate the Pagans that were being forced to convert. Jo - peter VV Tuesday, November 07, 2006 7:42 PM Re: Bad vibes in Glastonbury after Catholics against pagans I was watching an article on the news the other day where an old listed church was being taken down and re-built at a welsh folk museum, and the interesting thing was that it had 5 stone alters?, and apparently these were allripped out in the 16th century? anyone know anything about why 5 , and why they were outlawed? The Valley Vegan.................fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: i'd go and plant a tree in the middle of their

church... right back at em....... :) peter VV Nov 4, 2006 11:50 PM Re: Bad vibes in Glastonbury after Catholics against pagans From Saturdays edition of the times: BY THE light of the full moon, witches in Glastonbury will tonight be casting a “circle of protection” around Britain’s centre of mysticism after a group of militant Christians cast salt at them in an attempt to “cleanse” the town of paganism. NI_MPU('middle'); One Roman Catholic was fined and two cautioned by police after the “alternative Hallowe’en” festival in Britain’s centre of magical mysticism turned into a spiritual battle between Christianity and paganism. Now even the local Catholic priest has told his fellow Christians that they are not welcome in the town. The Christians were visiting for the Lightswitch@glastonbury festival, the eighth such event organised by the Catholic charity Youth 2000. Promotional material tempted them there with slogans such as: “Has the light on your halo gone dark? Have your wings gone a bit grubby? Just want to switch your faith back on?” Organised with the co-operation of the Catholic Parish Church and Shrine of Our Lady St Mary in Glastonbury, it was intended to be the Hallowe’en of choice “for those who have grown tired of tatty fancy dress and the Blair Witch Project”. But police

were called after militants told locals that they wanted to cleanse the town of paganism, cast salt around to exorcise “evil” spirits and called one woman a “whore witch”. Yemaya Pinder, a witch and a member of the Pagan Federation who owns The Magick Box store, said thatshe believed the Christians should be prosecuted for a religious hate crime. Mrs Pinder, a mother of two and grandmother of four, and whose sister is an Anglican vicar in Basildon, described how a group of Catholics had entered her shop and abused her. She said: “It was as if we had returned to the dark ages. They told me they wanted to cleanse Glastonbury of paganism. They said they had lighters and were going to come back and burn us down. When the police asked them to apologise, they refused.” She said there were no plans to put a curse on the Christians. “But we are doing protection for ourselves and the shop and the town. We are working magic for the healing and the damage

they very nearly did between us and the local Roman Catholic church.” She said that the town’s witches had begun to work their magic, starting the protective circle on Samhein, the Celtic new year, last Tuesday, and planning to finish it using the “high energy” of tonight’s full moon. Dreow Bennett, the Archdruid of Glastonbury and leader of the pagan movement, said: “To call the behaviour of some of their members medieval would be an understatement. I witnessed a pagan being called a ‘bloody witch’ and being told, ‘You will burn in hell’. “Apparently this man was not a diligent follower of the teachings of Christ. It was my understanding that Christ taught compassion and tolerance rather than hatred and ignorance.” Father Kevin Knox-Lecky, the Catholic parish priest at Glastonbury, said: “I was utterly appalled by the disgraceful behaviour, language and threats that were apparently made to members of the local pagan community by a small fringe

group that attached itself to the Youth 2000 retreat last weekend in Glastonbury.” He said the militants were “unChristian and unrepresentative” of the majority of the 350 young people at the festival. He had since met Mrs Pinder and Mr Bennett. The conversation ended in “mutual embrace”. He said: “We have agreed to keep in touch with each other and to support each other in the event of negative attention from any extremists from whichever faith. I have frequently found evidence of rites performed on my church steps.” Youth 2000 is a registered charity which aims to forge links between young Catholics through retreats and events. Charlie Connor, the managing director of Youth 2000, said that aiming “blessed salt” at pagans was in direct contravention of the spirit of Youth 2000. “For the avoidance of doubt, Youth 2000 does not condone or encourage this kind of behaviour from anyone. We fully agree that differences on matters of faith cannot and should

not be resolved by any kind of harassment.” But he added: “Youth 2000 would also like to place on the record that many young people at the retreat were harassed, sworn at and even cursed by people. One incident included the taking of photographs of young people, including children, and numbers plates by people present in the town. They were forced to move on. Regrettably, Youth 2000 will not be running a festival in Glastonbury next year.” Avon and Somerset police said: “The neighbourhood beat manager was on patrol on Saturday and was alerted that there was an incident at the Magick Box shop. The officer arrested a man for a public order offence. He was later released after being issued with a fixed penalty notice. Two women were also given cautions and words of advice about their future behaviour.” A SPIRITUAL BATTLE . . . WITH A LARGE PINCH OF SALT Glastonbury has become well known as the venue of one of the world’s most

popular music festivals but its mystical roots go back much further Some believe it was the site of Avalon, the final resting place of King Arthur Salt, the origin of the word “salvation”, has an important place in many of the world’s religions Leonardo da Vinci’s famous painting The Last Supper shows Judas Iscariot spilling a bowl of salt, seen as an omen of evil and bad luck Some Christians still believe that they should throw it over their shoulder to ward off devils that may be lurking behind them Peter H Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. William O. Douglas Peter H Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Peter H

oh stop

just cuz you don't know something don't make ya ignorant

here:

Collegiate church

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Collegiate church in G³ogów, Poland

A collegiate church is a church served and administered by a college of canons or prebendaries, similar to a cathedral, although they are not the seat of a bishop. They were often supported by (sometimes extensive) lands held by the church. In pre-Reformation England there were usually a number of collegiate churches in each diocese, with several hundred in total. They were almost all abolished in England by Henry VIII in 1547 as part of the Reformation by the Act for the Dissolution of Collegiate Churches and Chantries. The royal peculiars alone survived.

A collegiate church typically has its seating arranged parallel with the south and north walls, facing inwards rather than towards the altar at the eastern end. Such an arrangement is found in university chapels and in cathedrals. It has influenced the design of other churches in that the singing choir is seen as representing the idea of a college. The Westminster model of parliamentary seating arrangement arose from Parliament's use of such a chapel for its sittings until Westminster Palace chapel burnt down in 1834.

peter VV Nov 7, 2006 2:23 PM Re: Bad vibes in Glastonbury after Catholics against pagans

Sorry, I realy am ignorant, I just wondered if there were pagan origins, I dont understand the word collegiate, sorry.

could it have been a collegiate chuch, with a community of priests?

sorry..welsh churches are sorta out of my league i think

peter VV Nov 7, 2006 11:42 AM Re: Bad vibes in Glastonbury after Catholics against pagans

right back at em.......

Peter H

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change in the air,

however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. William O. Douglas

Peter H

Peter H

i believe many medieval churches, what we would call catholic today, had more then one altar...

the main altar was called the High Altar...

peter VV Nov 7, 2006 2:31 PM Re: Bad vibes in Glastonbury after Catholics against pagans

I wonder why they had 5 originally though? seems an odd number, I wonder if Peter would know if there would be any pagan origins there?, and also what happened in the 16th century that made them decide to abolish these alters en masse ( pun attempted ).

History

The church is believed to have been built during the thirteenth century on the site of an earlier pre-Norman church. Over the ensuing centuries the building was altered and extended. The oldest parts of the present structure, the nave and chancel, are believed to have been built during the 13/14th century though their present form is more likely to be early 15th century in date. During the late 14th century, two small transepts, or chapels, were added to the north and south of the chancel to create a cruciform church. Two arches were formed to link both transepts to the chancel. The north chapel was known as the Gronow Chapel, presumably in recognition of its benefactor. During the late 15th century the church's capacity was increased by the addition of an aisle to the south side of the nave. The old south wall was replaced by two arches, with a third arch opening into the chancel. In order to improve the congregation's view of the altar from the south aisle, a squint opening was formed through one of the side walls of the chancel arch. Finally, a porch was added to the entrance door leading into the south aisle of the church.

Architectural Features

The roof timbers are of typical early fifteenth century design (arch-braced collar-beams) though they may in fact be somewhat later in date. The west wall of the nave was altered in the early 18th century (datestone 1736) and most of the stone-mullioned windows were replaced by timber-mullioned windows at this time.

Later, some of these windows were blocked and new (Victorian gothic) windows inserted in the north and south walls. One original two-light stone-mullioned window (14/15th century) survives in the south aisle. The head of another two-light cusped window were found in the North Chapel where they had been used to block-up a window opening. Probably the oldest surviving feature of the church is the stone font which is believed to have been carved in the thirteenth century, but which may, in fact be even earlier.

The Valley Vegan.................jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

Hi Peter

I am not an expert on churches but I do know that old churches have an altar in the north entrance to accommodate the Pagans that were being forced to convert.

Jo

-

peter VV

Tuesday, November 07, 2006 7:42 PM

Re: Bad vibes in Glastonbury after Catholics against pagans

right back at em.......

Peter H

Peter H

Peter H

Pun appreciated :-)

Jo

, peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

>

> I wonder why they had 5 originally though? seems an odd number, I

wonder if Peter would know if there would be any pagan origins

there?, and also what happened in the 16th century that made them

decide to abolish these alters en masse ( pun attempted ).

>

> History

>

>

>

> The church is believed to have been built during the thirteenth

century on the site of an earlier pre-Norman church. Over the ensuing

centuries the building was altered and extended. The oldest parts of

the present structure, the nave and chancel, are believed to have

been built during the 13/14th century though their present form is

more likely to be early 15th century in date. During the late 14th

century, two small transepts, or chapels, were added to the north and

south of the chancel to create a cruciform church. Two arches were

formed to link both transepts to the chancel. The north chapel was

known as the Gronow Chapel, presumably in recognition of its

benefactor. During the late 15th century the church's capacity was

increased by the addition of an aisle to the south side of the nave.

The old south wall was replaced by two arches, with a third arch

opening into the chancel. In order to improve the congregation's view

of the altar from the south aisle, a squint

> opening was formed through one of the side walls of the chancel

arch. Finally, a porch was added to the entrance door leading into

the south aisle of the church.

> Architectural Features The roof timbers are of typical early

fifteenth century design (arch-braced collar-beams) though they may

in fact be somewhat later in date. The west wall of the nave was

altered in the early 18th century (datestone 1736) and most of the

stone-mullioned windows were replaced by timber-mullioned windows at

this time.

>

>

>

>

> Later, some of these windows were blocked and new (Victorian

gothic) windows inserted in the north and south walls. One original

two-light stone-mullioned window (14/15th century) survives in the

south aisle. The head of another two-light cusped window were found

in the North Chapel where they had been used to block-up a window

opening. Probably the oldest surviving feature of the church is the

stone font which is believed to have been carved in the thirteenth

century, but which may, in fact be even earlier.

> The Valley Vegan.................

>

> jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

> Hi Peter

>

> I am not an expert on churches but I do know that old churches

have an altar in the north entrance to accommodate the Pagans that

were being forced to convert.

>

> Jo

> -

> peter VV

>

> Tuesday, November 07, 2006 7:42 PM

> Re: Bad vibes in Glastonbury after

Catholics against pagans

>

>

> I was watching an article on the news the other day where an old

listed church was being taken down and re-built at a welsh folk

museum, and the interesting thing was that it had 5 stone alters?,

and apparently these were allripped out in the 16th century? anyone

know anything about why 5 , and why they were outlawed?

>

> The Valley Vegan.................

>

> fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

> i'd go and plant a tree in the middle of their church...

> right back at em.......

> :)

>

>

>

>

> peter VV

> Nov 4, 2006 11:50 PM

>

> Re: Bad vibes in Glastonbury after Catholics

against pagans

>

> From Saturdays edition of the times:

>

>

> BY THE light of the full moon, witches in Glastonbury will

tonight be casting a " circle of protection " around Britain's centre

of mysticism after a group of militant Christians cast salt at them

in an attempt to " cleanse " the town of paganism. NI_MPU

('middle'); One Roman Catholic was fined and two cautioned by police

after the " alternative Hallowe'en " festival in Britain's centre of

magical mysticism turned into a spiritual battle between Christianity

and paganism. Now even the local Catholic priest has told his

fellow Christians that they are not welcome in the town. The

Christians were visiting for the Lightswitch@glastonbury festival,

the eighth such event organised by the Catholic charity Youth 2000.

Promotional material tempted them there with slogans such as: " Has

the light on your halo gone dark? Have your wings gone a bit grubby?

Just want to switch your faith back on? " Organised with the co-

operation of the Catholic Parish Church and Shrine

> of Our Lady St Mary in Glastonbury, it was intended to be the

Hallowe'en of choice " for those who have grown tired of tatty fancy

dress and the Blair Witch Project " . But police were called after

militants told locals that they wanted to cleanse the town of

paganism, cast salt around to exorcise " evil " spirits and called one

woman a " whore witch " . Yemaya Pinder, a witch and a member of the

Pagan Federation who owns The Magick Box store, said thatshe believed

the Christians should be prosecuted for a religious hate crime. Mrs

Pinder, a mother of two and grandmother of four, and whose sister is

an Anglican vicar in Basildon, described how a group of Catholics had

entered her shop and abused her. She said: " It was as if we had

returned to the dark ages. They told me they wanted to cleanse

Glastonbury of paganism. They said they had lighters and were going

to come back and burn us down. When the police asked them to

apologise, they refused. " She said there were no

> plans to put a curse on the Christians. " But we are doing

protection for ourselves and the shop and the town. We are working

magic for the healing and the damage they very nearly did between us

and the local Roman Catholic church. " She said that the town's

witches had begun to work their magic, starting the protective circle

on Samhein, the Celtic new year, last Tuesday, and planning to finish

it using the " high energy " of tonight's full moon. Dreow Bennett,

the Archdruid of Glastonbury and leader of the pagan movement,

said: " To call the behaviour of some of their members medieval would

be an understatement. I witnessed a pagan being called a `bloody

witch' and being told, `You will burn in hell'. " Apparently this

man was not a diligent follower of the teachings of Christ. It was my

understanding that Christ taught compassion and tolerance rather than

hatred and ignorance. " Father Kevin Knox-Lecky, the Catholic parish

priest at Glastonbury, said: " I was utterly

> appalled by the disgraceful behaviour, language and threats that

were apparently made to members of the local pagan community by a

small fringe group that attached itself to the Youth 2000 retreat

last weekend in Glastonbury. " He said the militants were " unChristian

and unrepresentative " of the majority of the 350 young people at the

festival. He had since met Mrs Pinder and Mr Bennett. The

conversation ended in " mutual embrace " . He said: " We have agreed to

keep in touch with each other and to support each other in the event

of negative attention from any extremists from whichever faith. I

have frequently found evidence of rites performed on my church

steps. " Youth 2000 is a registered charity which aims to forge

links between young Catholics through retreats and events. Charlie

Connor, the managing director of Youth 2000, said that

aiming " blessed salt " at pagans was in direct contravention of the

spirit of Youth 2000. " For the avoidance of doubt, Youth 2000 does

> not condone or encourage this kind of behaviour from anyone. We

fully agree that differences on matters of faith cannot and should

not be resolved by any kind of harassment. " But he added: " Youth

2000 would also like to place on the record that many young people at

the retreat were harassed, sworn at and even cursed by people. One

incident included the taking of photographs of young people,

including children, and numbers plates by people present in the town.

They were forced to move on. Regrettably, Youth 2000 will not be

running a festival in Glastonbury next year. " Avon and Somerset

police said: " The neighbourhood beat manager was on patrol on

Saturday and was alerted that there was an incident at the Magick Box

shop. The officer arrested a man for a public order offence. He was

later released after being issued with a fixed penalty notice. Two

women were also given cautions and words of advice about their future

behaviour. " A SPIRITUAL BATTLE . . . WITH A LARGE

> PINCH OF SALT

> Glastonbury has become well known as the venue of one of the

world's most popular music festivals but its mystical roots go back

much further

>

> Some believe it was the site of Avalon, the final resting place of

King Arthur

>

> Salt, the origin of the word " salvation " , has an important place in

many of the world's religions

>

> Leonardo da Vinci's famous painting The Last Supper shows Judas

Iscariot spilling a bowl of salt, seen as an omen of evil and bad

luck

>

> Some Christians still believe that they should throw it over their

shoulder to ward off devils that may be lurking behind them

>

>

> Peter H

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In

both instances, there's a twilight where everything remains seemingly

unchanged, and it is in such twilight that we must be aware of change

in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the

darkness. William O. Douglas

>

>

>

> Peter H

>

>

>

>

> Peter H

>

>

>

Hi Peter

> I was watching an article on the news the other day where an old listed church was being taken down and re-built at a welsh folk museum, and the interesting thing was that it had 5 stone alters?, and apparently these were allripped out in the 16th century? anyone know anything about why 5 , and why they were outlawed?

Part of the Reformation.... they would almost certainly have been side altars dedicated to Catholic Saints, and maintained by guilds. When Catholicism got outlawed, so did the cult of the saints, so anything associated with that had to go....

BB

Peter

Hi Peter

>I wonder why they had 5 originally though? seems an odd number, I wonder if Peter would know if there would be any pagan origins there?, and also what

> happened in the 16th century that made them decide to abolish these alters en masse ( pun attempted ).

Good pun....

As much as I'd love there to be some significance to the number of altars, it's sadly nothing more than a representation of the number of guilds or rich individuals in the parish. Most likely guilds, as rich individuals would have more likely had altars in their homes and employed a personal priest. Basically, in this particular parish there would have been 5 guilds (which is basically a group of people with something in common - often a trade) who would have paid the church a small fee to keep an altar dedicated to a specific saint, which was usually the patron saint of the guild. It was a standard practice in the medieval Catholic church.

What happened in the 16th century... in a simplistic version.... Henrry VIII and Elizabeth I decided that they didn't like the Pope very much, and decided that England would be Protestant...

BB

Peter

Thanks for that, I thought you would know something. The Valley Vegan.........................Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Peter >I wonder why they had 5 originally though? seems an odd number, I wonder if Peter would know if there would be any pagan origins there?, and also what > happened in the 16th century that made them decide to abolish these alters en masse ( pun attempted ). Good pun.... As much as I'd love there to be some significance to the number

of altars, it's sadly nothing more than a representation of the number of guilds or rich individuals in the parish. Most likely guilds, as rich individuals would have more likely had altars in their homes and employed a personal priest. Basically, in this particular parish there would have been 5 guilds (which is basically a group of people with something in common - often a trade) who would have paid the church a small fee to keep an altar dedicated to a specific saint, which was usually the patron saint of the guild. It was a standard practice in the medieval Catholic church. What happened in the 16th century... in a simplistic version.... Henrry VIII and Elizabeth I decided that they didn't like the Pope very much, and decided that England would be Protestant... BB

Peter Peter H

Try the all-new Mail . "The New Version is radically easier to use" – The Wall Street Journal