IndiaDivine.org

Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act passed by congress

Rate this topic

Guest guest

****Cross Post Freely****AETA PASSED BY HOUSE

For an eye witness account of what happened today, please read Will Potter's blog:http://www.greenisthenewred.com/blog/2006/11/13/aeta-passes-house-recap/Following are Alex Hershaft's comments about his day on the hill:

Today, a dozen of us from Equal Justice Alliance, FARM, League of Humane Voters, and Compassion Over Killing spent five hours visiting Congressional offices and urging them to vote against AETA, which had been scheduled over the weekend for a sudden vote at 6:30 pm. We were carrying suporting statements from the National Lawyers Guild, the New York City Bar Association, and the Natural Resources Defense Council. At each office, we were told that the mail and calls were running overwhelmingly in our favor.

Around 3pm, one of the legislative aides said that the bill was just being debated on the House floor. He gave me a pass, and I rushed to the Capitol across the street. I was astonished to see only about six House members present. House Judiciary Chairman Sensenbrenner spoke in favor of AETA, quoting Jerry Vlasak's and other's past extreme statements. Dennis Kucinich joined in abhorring violence, but noted that the bill infringed on civil liberties of people conducting civil disobedience or undercover investigations. Sensenbrenner invoked lack of opposition from the ACLU. Then the chair called for a voice vote, and Kucinich cast the only no vote. It was all over in 15 minutes.

After the vote, I rode the elevator with Sensenbrenner and chief AETA sponsor Petri. I told them I was there to lobby against their bill. Sensenbrenner replied "don't blame me; I was just managing the bill for this guy," pointing to Petri, who smiled sheepishly. The whole thing was absolutely surreal.

We played the game by their rules, we generated an overwhelming outpouring of opposition to the bill on short notice, and they kicked us in the face through underhanded maneuvers. Then they wonder why people lose faith in the system and take the law into their own hands. Today, Congress brought shame on itself by turning animal activists into "terrorists."

fraggle Nov 14, 2006 8:25 AM Re: Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act passed by congress

yup

PETA is screwed....

zurumato Nov 13, 2006 8:15 PM vegaNZchat , veganchat Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act passed by congress

For an eye witness account of what happened today, please read Will Potter's blog:http://www.greenisthenewred.com/blog/2006/11/13/aeta-passes-house-recap/Following are Alex Hershaft's comments about his day on the hill:

Today, a dozen of us from Equal Justice Alliance, FARM, League of Humane Voters, and Compassion Over Killing spent five hours visiting Congressional offices and urging them to vote against AETA, which had been scheduled over the weekend for a sudden vote at 6:30 pm. We were carrying suporting statements from the National Lawyers Guild, the New York City Bar Association, and the Natural Resources Defense Council. At each office, we were told that the mail and calls were running overwhelmingly in our favor.

Around 3pm, one of the legislative aides said that the bill was just being debated on the House floor. He gave me a pass, and I rushed to the Capitol across the street. I was astonished to see only about six House members present. House Judiciary Chairman Sensenbrenner spoke in favor of AETA, quoting Jerry Vlasak's and other's past extreme statements. Dennis Kucinich joined in abhorring violence, but noted that the bill infringed on civil liberties of people conducting civil disobedience or undercover investigations. Sensenbrenner invoked lack of opposition from the ACLU. Then the chair called for a voice vote, and Kucinich cast the only no vote. It was all over in 15 minutes.

After the vote, I rode the elevator with Sensenbrenner and chief AETA sponsor Petri. I told them I was there to lobby against their bill. Sensenbrenner replied "don't blame me; I was just managing the bill for this guy," pointing to Petri, who smiled sheepishly. The whole thing was absolutely surreal.

We played the game by their rules, we generated an overwhelming outpouring of opposition to the bill on short notice, and they kicked us in the face through underhanded maneuvers. Then they wonder why people lose faith in the system and take the law into their own hands. Today, Congress brought shame on itself by turning animal activists into "terrorists."

History repeats itself

and each time the price gets higher

History repeats itself

fraggle Nov 14, 2006 8:25 AM Re: Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act passed by congress

yup

PETA is screwed....

zurumato Nov 13, 2006 8:15 PM vegaNZchat , veganchat Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act passed by congress

History repeats itself

History repeats itself

Does this mean that some of us brits would be classed as terrorists by the administration, and maybe in the future not allowed in to the USA? This is a sad shape of things to come. The Valley Vegan..................zurumato <zurumato wrote: ****Cross Post Freely****AETA PASSED BY HOUSE For an eye witness account of what happened today, please read Will Potter's blog:http://www.greenisthenewred.com/blog/2006/11/13/aeta-passes-house-recap/Following are Alex Hershaft's comments about his day on the hill: Today, a dozen of us from Equal Justice Alliance, FARM, League of Humane Voters, and Compassion Over Killing spent five hours visiting Congressional offices and urging them to vote against AETA, which had been scheduled over the weekend for a sudden

vote at 6:30 pm. We were carrying suporting statements from the National Lawyers Guild, the New York City Bar Association, and the Natural Resources Defense Council. At each office, we were told that the mail and calls were running overwhelmingly in our favor. Around 3pm, one of the legislative aides said that the bill was just being debated on the House floor. He gave me a pass, and I rushed to the Capitol across the street. I was astonished to see only about six House members present. House Judiciary Chairman Sensenbrenner spoke in favor of AETA, quoting Jerry Vlasak's and other's past extreme statements. Dennis Kucinich joined in abhorring violence, but noted that the bill infringed on civil liberties of people conducting civil disobedience or undercover investigations. Sensenbrenner invoked lack of opposition from the ACLU. Then the chair called for a voice vote, and Kucinich cast the only

no vote. It was all over in 15 minutes. After the vote, I rode the elevator with Sensenbrenner and chief AETA sponsor Petri. I told them I was there to lobby against their bill. Sensenbrenner replied "don't blame me; I was just managing the bill for this guy," pointing to Petri, who smiled sheepishly. The whole thing was absolutely surreal. We played the game by their rules, we generated an overwhelming outpouring of opposition to the bill on short notice, and they kicked us in the face through underhanded maneuvers. Then they wonder why people lose faith in the system and take the law into their own hands. Today, Congress brought shame on itself by turning animal activists into "terrorists." Peter H

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

by another law passed back in september, the bush admin is argueing that they can classify anyone an enemy combantent, and toss you into prison for life, without charges, lawyer contact, or trial

welcome to 1984

peter VV Nov 14, 2006 10:44 AM Re: Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act passed by congress

Does this mean that some of us brits would be classed as terrorists by the administration, and maybe in the future not allowed in to the USA?

This is a sad shape of things to come.

The Valley Vegan..................zurumato <zurumato wrote:

Peter H

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

History repeats itself