IndiaDivine.org

The Hobbit

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Well, I don't know about Peter Jackson, but I can't imagine a LOTR without Sir Ian McKellen. I know the new Dumbledore in HP has never rung true after losing Richard Harris. peace, sharonjo <jo.heartwork wrote: I wasn't even aware they were making The Hobbit. McKellen 'sad' at Hobbit decision

Sir Ian played the wizard Gandalf in Lord of the RingsSir Ian McKellen, who played Gandalf in the Lord of the Rings films, has voiced dismay over the decision to drop Peter Jackson as director of The Hobbit. "I'm very sad as I should have relished revisiting Middle Earth with Peter again," the actor wrote on his website. "It's hard to imagine any other director matching his achievement in Tolkien country." Jackson refused

to discuss working on the Hobbit until a DVD royalty dispute with New Line Cinema was settled. But New Line said it had only "limited time" to make the film and was proceeding without the Oscar-winning director. Angry fans The announcement has led to an online petition of 1,100 people asking for Jackson to be reinstated. The petition created calls for The Hobbit to be filmed "the way it was meant to be or not at all". A website has also been set up urging a boycott of New Line, and fans have used weblogs and forums to question the studio's judgement.

Can you imagine someone other than Ian McKellen playing Gandalf the Grey? Extract from online petitionThe petition argues that a Hobbit movie without Peter Jackson and his writers and special effects team is not what fans want. "The characters and scenery will all be new and unfamiliar and props, costumes, and the backdrop of New Zealand will all be lost," it said. "Most likely even the original actors will not sign on to do it - can you imagine someone other than Ian McKellen playing Gandalf the Grey?" A user of fan site theonering.net has registered the domain name boycottnewline.com, which links to another petition. "Something must happen to get New Line and Jackson to talk about the [legal case], which has been hanging over future Tolkein-related productions since 2005," the owner has written. "The only way to get New Line to budge is to boycott future New Line productions until they sit down and hash things out with Peter Jackson." 'Wrong guy' Before the story emerged this week, there was already a site - thehobbitfilm.com - encouraging fans to ask top studio executives to get on with making the movie with Jackson. It urged people to send letters or postcards because "the only way we are going to reach our goal of having a live-action version of The Hobbit from Peter Jackson and his team is by keeping after the studios who own the rights". However, other fans were more relaxed about the way the project was progressing. "That's the best news I've heard concerning Peter Jackson in about five years," wrote one person on the ringbearer.org site. "He's exactly the wrong guy to handle The Hobbit in any way shape or form." Another, on theonering.net, said: "I'm sure The Hobbit will turn out to be a success even without the help of the great Peter Jackson." A spokesman for distributor MGM told Variety newspaper that the matter was "far from closed", leaving some people hoping Jackson would return. "Hopefully they will see the light and involve the two people who have proven worth in telling the stories," one person wrote in the chatroom at theonering.net. Neither New Line nor MGM was available for further comment.

Want to start your own business? Learn how on Small Business.

Hi Jo

I knew they were talking about making it.

I'd be interested to osee what happens with this, because I thought that one of the stipulations from the Tolkein estate with regard to copyright was that Peter Jackson be involved - it took them several years to get the copyright to make the LOTR, and that was only because Jackson presented them with such a version which they felt was worthwhile...

BB

Peter

-

jo

Thursday, November 23, 2006 11:14 AM

The Hobbit

I wasn't even aware they were making The Hobbit.

McKellen 'sad' at Hobbit decision

Sir Ian played the wizard Gandalf in Lord of the RingsSir Ian McKellen, who played Gandalf in the Lord of the Rings films, has voiced dismay over the decision to drop Peter Jackson as director of The Hobbit.

"I'm very sad as I should have relished revisiting Middle Earth with Peter again," the actor wrote on his website.

"It's hard to imagine any other director matching his achievement in Tolkien country."

Jackson refused to discuss working on the Hobbit until a DVD royalty dispute with New Line Cinema was settled.

But New Line said it had only "limited time" to make the film and was proceeding without the Oscar-winning director.

Angry fans

The announcement has led to an online petition of 1,100 people asking for Jackson to be reinstated.

The petition created calls for The Hobbit to be filmed "the way it was meant to be or not at all".

A website has also been set up urging a boycott of New Line, and fans have used weblogs and forums to question the studio's judgement.

Can you imagine someone other than Ian McKellen playing Gandalf the Grey?

Extract from online petitionThe petition argues that a Hobbit movie without Peter Jackson and his writers and special effects team is not what fans want.

"The characters and scenery will all be new and unfamiliar and props, costumes, and the backdrop of New Zealand will all be lost," it said.

"Most likely even the original actors will not sign on to do it - can you imagine someone other than Ian McKellen playing Gandalf the Grey?"

A user of fan site theonering.net has registered the domain name boycottnewline.com, which links to another petition.

"Something must happen to get New Line and Jackson to talk about the [legal case], which has been hanging over future Tolkein-related productions since 2005," the owner has written.

"The only way to get New Line to budge is to boycott future New Line productions until they sit down and hash things out with Peter Jackson."

'Wrong guy'

Before the story emerged this week, there was already a site - thehobbitfilm.com - encouraging fans to ask top studio executives to get on with making the movie with Jackson.

It urged people to send letters or postcards because "the only way we are going to reach our goal of having a live-action version of The Hobbit from Peter Jackson and his team is by keeping after the studios who own the rights".

However, other fans were more relaxed about the way the project was progressing.

"That's the best news I've heard concerning Peter Jackson in about five years," wrote one person on the ringbearer.org site.

"He's exactly the wrong guy to handle The Hobbit in any way shape or form."

Another, on theonering.net, said: "I'm sure The Hobbit will turn out to be a success even without the help of the great Peter Jackson."

A spokesman for distributor MGM told Variety newspaper that the matter was "far from closed", leaving some people hoping Jackson would return.

"Hopefully they will see the light and involve the two people who have proven worth in telling the stories," one person wrote in the chatroom at theonering.net.

Neither New Line nor MGM was available for further comment.

Hi Sharon

It is a shame when they change. Obviously it couldn't be helped in Harry Potter. I am looking forward to the next one of those films :-)

Jo

-

Shhhhh

Thursday, November 23, 2006 3:48 PM

Re: The Hobbit

Well, I don't know about Peter Jackson, but I can't imagine a LOTR without Sir Ian McKellen. I know the new Dumbledore in HP has never rung true after losing Richard Harris.

peace,

sharonjo <jo.heartwork wrote:

Sir Ian played the wizard Gandalf in Lord of the RingsSir Ian McKellen, who played Gandalf in the Lord of the Rings films, has voiced dismay over the decision to drop Peter Jackson as director of The Hobbit.

"I'm very sad as I should have relished revisiting Middle Earth with Peter again," the actor wrote on his website.

"It's hard to imagine any other director matching his achievement in Tolkien country."

Jackson refused to discuss working on the Hobbit until a DVD royalty dispute with New Line Cinema was settled.

But New Line said it had only "limited time" to make the film and was proceeding without the Oscar-winning director.

Angry fans

The announcement has led to an online petition of 1,100 people asking for Jackson to be reinstated.

The petition created calls for The Hobbit to be filmed "the way it was meant to be or not at all".

A website has also been set up urging a boycott of New Line, and fans have used weblogs and forums to question the studio's judgement.

Extract from online petitionThe petition argues that a Hobbit movie without Peter Jackson and his writers and special effects team is not what fans want.

"The characters and scenery will all be new and unfamiliar and props, costumes, and the backdrop of New Zealand will all be lost," it said.

"Most likely even the original actors will not sign on to do it - can you imagine someone other than Ian McKellen playing Gandalf the Grey?"

A user of fan site theonering.net has registered the domain name boycottnewline.com, which links to another petition.

"Something must happen to get New Line and Jackson to talk about the [legal case], which has been hanging over future Tolkein-related productions since 2005," the owner has written.

"The only way to get New Line to budge is to boycott future New Line productions until they sit down and hash things out with Peter Jackson."

'Wrong guy'

Before the story emerged this week, there was already a site - thehobbitfilm.com - encouraging fans to ask top studio executives to get on with making the movie with Jackson.

It urged people to send letters or postcards because "the only way we are going to reach our goal of having a live-action version of The Hobbit from Peter Jackson and his team is by keeping after the studios who own the rights".

However, other fans were more relaxed about the way the project was progressing.

"That's the best news I've heard concerning Peter Jackson in about five years," wrote one person on the ringbearer.org site.

Another, on theonering.net, said: "I'm sure The Hobbit will turn out to be a success even without the help of the great Peter Jackson."

A spokesman for distributor MGM told Variety newspaper that the matter was "far from closed", leaving some people hoping Jackson would return.

"Hopefully they will see the light and involve the two people who have proven worth in telling the stories," one person wrote in the chatroom at theonering.net.

Want to start your own business? Learn how on Small Business.

Hi Peter

Now you mention it I remember too! Maybe it is all just bluster to get our interest - although I am sure we are all interested anyway :-)

BBJo

-

Peter

Thursday, November 23, 2006 6:26 PM

Re: The Hobbit

Hi Jo

I knew they were talking about making it.

I'd be interested to osee what happens with this, because I thought that one of the stipulations from the Tolkein estate with regard to copyright was that Peter Jackson be involved - it took them several years to get the copyright to make the LOTR, and that was only because Jackson presented them with such a version which they felt was worthwhile...

BB

Peter

-

jo

Thursday, November 23, 2006 11:14 AM

The Hobbit

Angry fans

'Wrong guy'

Me, too, Jo. I've read the books, but I have such a terrible memory I could probably read them again now and it would be brand new to me! The next book should be out soon, too, I think. peace, sharonjo <jo.heartwork wrote: Hi Sharon It is a shame when they change. Obviously it couldn't be helped in Harry Potter. I am

looking forward to the next one of those films :-) Jo - Shhhhh Thursday, November 23, 2006 3:48 PM Re: The Hobbit Well, I don't know about Peter Jackson, but I can't imagine a LOTR without Sir Ian McKellen. I know the new Dumbledore in HP has never rung true after losing Richard Harris. peace, sharonjo <jo.heartwork > wrote: I wasn't even aware they were making The Hobbit. McKellen 'sad' at Hobbit decision Sir Ian played the wizard Gandalf in Lord of the

RingsSir Ian McKellen, who played Gandalf in the Lord of the Rings films, has voiced dismay over the decision to drop Peter Jackson as director of The Hobbit. "I'm very sad as I should have relished revisiting Middle Earth with Peter again," the actor wrote on his website. "It's hard to imagine any other director matching his achievement in Tolkien country." Jackson refused to discuss working on the Hobbit until a DVD royalty dispute with New Line Cinema was settled. But New Line said it had only "limited time" to make the film and was proceeding without the Oscar-winning director. Angry fans The announcement has led to an online petition of 1,100 people asking for Jackson to be reinstated.

The petition created calls for The Hobbit to be filmed "the way it was meant to be or not at all". A website has also been set up urging a boycott of New Line, and fans have used weblogs and forums to question the studio's judgement. Can you imagine someone other than Ian McKellen playing Gandalf the Grey? Extract from online petitionThe petition argues that a Hobbit movie without Peter Jackson and his writers and special effects team is not what fans want. "The characters and scenery will all be new and unfamiliar and props, costumes, and the backdrop of New Zealand will all be lost," it said. "Most likely even the original actors will not sign on to do it - can you imagine someone other than Ian McKellen playing Gandalf the Grey?" A user of fan site theonering.net has registered the domain name boycottnewline.com, which links to another petition. "Something must happen to get New Line and Jackson to talk about the [legal case], which has been

hanging over future Tolkein-related productions since 2005," the owner has written. "The only way to get New Line to budge is to boycott future New Line productions until they sit down and hash things out with Peter Jackson." 'Wrong guy' Before the story emerged this week, there was already a site - thehobbitfilm.com - encouraging fans to ask top studio executives to get on with making the movie with Jackson. It urged people to send letters or postcards because "the only way we are going to reach our goal of having a live-action version of The Hobbit from Peter Jackson and his team is by keeping after the studios who own the rights". However, other fans were more relaxed about the way the project was progressing. "That's the best news I've heard concerning Peter

Jackson in about five years," wrote one person on the ringbearer.org site. "He's exactly the wrong guy to handle The Hobbit in any way shape or form." Another, on theonering.net, said: "I'm sure The Hobbit will turn out to be a success even without the help of the great Peter Jackson." A spokesman for distributor MGM told Variety newspaper that the matter was "far from closed", leaving some people hoping Jackson would return. "Hopefully they will see the light and involve the two people who have proven worth in telling the stories," one person wrote in the chatroom at theonering.net. Neither New Line nor MGM was available for further comment. Want to start your own business? Learn how on Small Business.

Sponsored LinkMortgage rates near 39yr lows. $310,000 Mortgage for $999/mo - Calculate new house payment

HI Sharon

I'm like that - if I leave a book for a couple of years I can read it

again, and still enjoy it because I've forgotten a lot of the detail.

Jo

, Shhhhh <compassion2grace

wrote:

>

> Me, too, Jo. I've read the books, but I have such a terrible

memory I could probably read them again now and it would be brand new

to me! The next book should be out soon, too, I think.

>

> peace,

> sharon

>

> jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

> Hi Sharon

>

> It is a shame when they change. Obviously it couldn't be helped

in Harry Potter. I am looking forward to the next one of those

films :-)

>

> Jo

> -

> Shhhhh

>

> Thursday, November 23, 2006 3:48 PM

> Re: The Hobbit

>

>

> Well, I don't know about Peter Jackson, but I can't imagine a

LOTR without Sir Ian McKellen. I know the new Dumbledore in HP has

never rung true after losing Richard Harris.

>

> peace,

> sharon

>

> jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

> I wasn't even aware they were making The Hobbit.

>

> McKellen 'sad' at Hobbit decision

>

> Sir Ian played the wizard Gandalf in Lord of the Rings

>

> Sir Ian McKellen, who played Gandalf in the Lord of the Rings

films, has voiced dismay over the decision to drop Peter Jackson as

director of The Hobbit. " I'm very sad as I should have relished

revisiting Middle Earth with Peter again, " the actor wrote on his

website.

> " It's hard to imagine any other director matching his achievement

in Tolkien country. "

> Jackson refused to discuss working on the Hobbit until a DVD

royalty dispute with New Line Cinema was settled.

> But New Line said it had only " limited time " to make the film and

was proceeding without the Oscar-winning director.

> Angry fans

> The announcement has led to an online petition of 1,100 people

asking for Jackson to be reinstated.

> The petition created calls for The Hobbit to be filmed " the way

it was meant to be or not at all " .

> A website has also been set up urging a boycott of New Line, and

fans have used weblogs and forums to question the studio's judgement.

>

> Can you imagine someone other than Ian McKellen playing

Gandalf the Grey?

>

>

> Extract from online petition

>

> The petition argues that a Hobbit movie without Peter Jackson and

his writers and special effects team is not what fans want.

> " The characters and scenery will all be new and unfamiliar and

props, costumes, and the backdrop of New Zealand will all be lost, "

it said.

> " Most likely even the original actors will not sign on to do it -

can you imagine someone other than Ian McKellen playing Gandalf the

Grey? "

> A user of fan site theonering.net has registered the domain name

boycottnewline.com, which links to another petition.

> " Something must happen to get New Line and Jackson to talk about

the [legal case], which has been hanging over future Tolkein-related

productions since 2005, " the owner has written.

> " The only way to get New Line to budge is to boycott future New

Line productions until they sit down and hash things out with Peter

Jackson. "

> 'Wrong guy'

> Before the story emerged this week, there was already a site -

thehobbitfilm.com - encouraging fans to ask top studio executives to

get on with making the movie with Jackson.

> It urged people to send letters or postcards because " the only

way we are going to reach our goal of having a live-action version of

The Hobbit from Peter Jackson and his team is by keeping after the

studios who own the rights " .

> However, other fans were more relaxed about the way the project

was progressing.

> " That's the best news I've heard concerning Peter Jackson in

about five years, " wrote one person on the ringbearer.org site.

> " He's exactly the wrong guy to handle The Hobbit in any way shape

or form. "

> Another, on theonering.net, said: " I'm sure The Hobbit will turn

out to be a success even without the help of the great Peter

Jackson. "

> A spokesman for distributor MGM told Variety newspaper that the

matter was " far from closed " , leaving some people hoping Jackson

would return.

> " Hopefully they will see the light and involve the two people who

have proven worth in telling the stories, " one person wrote in the

chatroom at theonering.net.

> Neither New Line nor MGM was available for further comment.

>

>

>

>

> Want to start your own business? Learn how on Small

Business.

>

> Sponsored Link

>

> Mortgage rates near 39yr lows. $310,000 Mortgage for $999/mo -

Calculate new house payment

>