IndiaDivine.org

Wishing Wells Contain Money Mountain

Rate this topic

Guest guest

To make a wish?, maybe an age old tradition of making an offering to the elements? I`m making it up now, perhaps Peter knows the origins............. The Valley Vegan............heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote: Why do people throw money into wells and fountains?????JoBy Jennifer Hill Wed Nov 29, 4:05 AM ETLONDON (Reuters) - Ever wondered how much money the world's wishing wells contain? One in five adults regularly throws a copper or

two into wishing wells and fountains, a study shows, spending an average of 31 pence at tourist sites such as Rome's Trevi Fountain.That means those making a wish with their spare change literally throw away just under 3 million pounds every year, according to the "Fountain Money Mountain" report.Financial services marketing agency Teamspirit, which commissioned the study, called for the funds to go to good causes."Some wishing wells and fountains are already used by charities as a means of securing funds," said managing director Joanne Parker."But it would be great if the profits from every single one of them were used for good causes."For me personally, and for many others I'm sure, to combine the thrill of making a secret wish with the knowledge that your money is going to help others would be very rewarding."Megan Pacey, director of policy and campaigns at the Institute of

Fundraising, added: "When money is quite literally 'thrown away' into wishing wells and fountains, it would be to everyone's benefit if those responsible for the upkeep of such sites could nominate an appropriate UK charity to receive these funds." Peter H

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

long tradition

to gain a wish..

comes from the early belief in water spirits or deities that had powers, so

you'd bribe em with a gift

evolved into tossing pennies into fountains

>heartwerk <jo.heartwork

>Nov 29, 2006 11:59 PM

>

> Wishing Wells Contain Money Mountain

>

>Why do people throw money into wells and fountains?????

>

>Jo

>

>

History repeats itself

and each time the price gets higher

I can understand the wishes but not giving money.

Jo

-

" fraggle " <EBbrewpunx

Thursday, November 30, 2006 6:13 PM

Re: Wishing Wells Contain Money Mountain

> long tradition

> to gain a wish..

> comes from the early belief in water spirits or deities that had powers,

so you'd bribe em with a gift

> evolved into tossing pennies into fountains

>

>

> >heartwerk <jo.heartwork

> >Nov 29, 2006 11:59 PM

> >

> > Wishing Wells Contain Money Mountain

> >

> >Why do people throw money into wells and fountains?????

> >

> >Jo

> >

> >

>

> History repeats itself

> and each time the price gets higher

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

Hi Peter

Nah - Fraggle seems to have given a good answer though. What I'm not sure about is why people *still* throw money into fountains. Seems like a very odd habit to me :-)

BB

Peter

On 30/11/06, peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

To make a wish?, maybe an age old tradition of making an offering to the elements? I`m making it up now, perhaps Peter knows the origins.............

The Valley Vegan............heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:

Why do people throw money into wells and fountains?????JoBy Jennifer Hill Wed Nov 29, 4:05 AM ETLONDON (Reuters) - Ever wondered how much money the world's wishing wells contain?

One in five adults regularly throws a copper or two into wishing wells and fountains, a study shows, spending an average of 31 pence at tourist sites such as Rome's Trevi Fountain.That means those making a wish with their spare change literally throw away just under 3 million pounds every year, according to the " Fountain Money Mountain " report.Financial services marketing agency Teamspirit, which commissioned the study, called for the funds to go to good causes.

" Some wishing wells and fountains are already used by charities as a means of securing funds, " said managing director Joanne Parker. " But it would be great if the profits from every single one of them were used for good causes. " For me personally, and for many others I'm sure, to combine the thrill of making a secret wish with the knowledge that your money is going to help others would be very rewarding. "

Megan Pacey, director of policy and campaigns at the Institute of Fundraising, added: " When money is quite literally 'thrown away' into wishing wells and fountains, it would be to everyone's benefit if those responsible for the upkeep of such sites could nominate an appropriate UK charity to receive these funds. "

Peter H

old habits die hard

traditions are easily passed from one generation to the next..especially vaguely innoccous ones that seem innocent yet can give hope

people wish on stars, meteors, etc

avoid black cats

don't walk under a ladder

etc and so forth...

Peter Kebbell Nov 30, 2006 11:53 AM Re: Wishing Wells Contain Money Mountain

Hi Peter

Nah - Fraggle seems to have given a good answer though. What I'm not sure about is why people *still* throw money into fountains. Seems like a very odd habit to me :-)

BB

Peter

On 30/11/06, peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

To make a wish?, maybe an age old tradition of making an offering to the elements? I`m making it up now, perhaps Peter knows the origins.............

Why do people throw money into wells and fountains?????JoBy Jennifer Hill Wed Nov 29, 4:05 AM ETLONDON (Reuters) - Ever wondered how much money the world's wishing wells contain? One in five adults regularly throws a copper or two into wishing wells and fountains, a study shows, spending an average of 31 pence at tourist sites such as Rome's Trevi Fountain.That means those making a wish with their spare change literally throw away just under 3 million pounds every year, according to the "Fountain Money Mountain" report.Financial services marketing agency Teamspirit, which commissioned the study, called for the funds to go to good causes. "Some wishing wells and fountains are already used by charities as a means of securing funds," said managing director Joanne Parker."But it would be great if the profits from every single one of them were used for good causes."For me personally, and for many others I'm sure, to combine the thrill of making a secret wish with the knowledge that your money is going to help others would be very rewarding." Megan Pacey, director of policy and campaigns at the Institute of Fundraising, added: "When money is quite literally 'thrown away' into wishing wells and fountains, it would be to everyone's benefit if those responsible for the upkeep of such sites could nominate an appropriate UK charity to receive these funds."

Peter H

History repeats itself

I'm all for making wishes or using positive thought etc. but why would the elementals or any other being (other than humans) want money as an offering.

Jo

-

peter VV

Thursday, November 30, 2006 6:12 PM

Why do people throw money into wells and fountains?????JoBy Jennifer Hill Wed Nov 29, 4:05 AM ETLONDON (Reuters) - Ever wondered how much money the world's wishing wells contain? One in five adults regularly throws a copper or two into wishing wells and fountains, a study shows, spending an average of 31 pence at tourist sites such as Rome's Trevi Fountain.That means those making a wish with their spare change literally throw away just under 3 million pounds every year, according to the "Fountain Money Mountain" report.Financial services marketing agency Teamspirit, which commissioned the study, called for the funds to go to good causes."Some wishing wells and fountains are already used by charities as a means of securing funds," said managing director Joanne Parker."But it would be great if the profits from every single one of them were used for good causes."For me personally, and for many others I'm sure, to combine the thrill of making a secret wish with the knowledge that your money is going to help others would be very rewarding."Megan Pacey, director of policy and campaigns at the Institute of Fundraising, added: "When money is quite literally 'thrown away' into wishing wells and fountains, it would be to everyone's benefit if those responsible for the upkeep of such sites could nominate an appropriate UK charity to receive these funds."

Peter H

how come?

people tossing pennies and coins in goes waaaaaaaaaaay back...

like i said, originally stemmed from trying to bribe or gain the attention/good

fortune of whatever being supposedly resided in said fountain or spring...

springs and fountains have long been considered sources of healing

properties...fountain of youth and all..

so, some traditions just linger on...

>jo <jo.heartwork

>Nov 30, 2006 10:34 AM

>

>Re: Wishing Wells Contain Money Mountain

>

>I can understand the wishes but not giving money.

>

>Jo

History repeats itself

again...tradition

they use to give coins to the dead so they could bribe charon, right?

leperchauns have pots of gold

dragons horde treasure

so do dwarves

we attribute base human characteristics to most of the beings we name or believe in....

jo Nov 30, 2006 3:39 PM Re: Wishing Wells Contain Money Mountain

I'm all for making wishes or using positive thought etc. but why would the elementals or any other being (other than humans) want money as an offering.

Jo

-

peter VV

Thursday, November 30, 2006 6:12 PM

Why do people throw money into wells and fountains?????JoBy Jennifer Hill Wed Nov 29, 4:05 AM ETLONDON (Reuters) - Ever wondered how much money the world's wishing wells contain? One in five adults regularly throws a copper or two into wishing wells and fountains, a study shows, spending an average of 31 pence at tourist sites such as Rome's Trevi Fountain.That means those making a wish with their spare change literally throw away just under 3 million pounds every year, according to the "Fountain Money Mountain" report.Financial services marketing agency Teamspirit, which commissioned the study, called for the funds to go to good causes."Some wishing wells and fountains are already used by charities as a means of securing funds," said managing director Joanne Parker."But it would be great if the profits from every single one of them were used for good causes."For me personally, and for many others I'm sure, to combine the thrill of making a secret wish with the knowledge that your money is going to help others would be very rewarding."Megan Pacey, director of policy and campaigns at the Institute of Fundraising, added: "When money is quite literally 'thrown away' into wishing wells and fountains, it would be to everyone's benefit if those responsible for the upkeep of such sites could nominate an appropriate UK charity to receive these funds."

Peter H

History repeats itself

Very true.

Jo

Fraggle wrote:

again...tradition

they use to give coins to the dead so they could bribe charon, right?

leperchauns have pots of gold

dragons horde treasure

so do dwarves

we attribute base human characteristics to most of the beings we name

or believe in....

Hi Fraggle

>they use to give coins to the dead so they could bribe charon, right?

>leperchauns have pots of gold

>dragons horde treasure

>so do dwarves

Now, I've always assumed them to be more in the way of shiny things than due to the monetary value....

BB

Peter