IndiaDivine.org

Doherty fined for drug possession

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Am I the only person who is amazed by how many times this waste of skin can get busted and still not do time? Singer Pete Doherty has been fined for five counts of possessing drugs, including crack cocaine and heroin. The 27-year-old, who has been having treatment for his addiction, appeared at Thames Magistrates Court in London. The Babyshambles frontman was ordered to pay £770 and disqualified from driving for four months. The singer who pleaded guilty at an earlier trial hugged fans outside the court. He told reporters he felt "relieved" about not going to jail. District Judge Jane McIvor told Doherty that the offences were not serious enough to require a custodial sentence. "He's not going to jail. It's amazing," said 16-year-old fan Georgina Raymond. "I hugged him," she added. Doherty was arrested in April for possession of less than 2 grams each of

heroin, cannabis and cocaine. It happened just three hours after he was sentenced to two years of community service for previous drug offences. In October he was fined £750 for assaulting BBC Radio 1 reporter Trudi Barber. Peter H

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Hi Peter

Personally, I've got no problem with people having small amounts of drugs for their personal use (not like he had enough to be dealing) - I think it's a real waste of police and court time to be messing about with "less than 2 grams" of drugs when there's people being murdered, raped and mugged all over the place.

What I am intrigued by, though, is that he was banned from driving for four months. I thought driving bans were only ever used when a driving offence was involved - such as driving while under the influence of drugs.... that's a very different matter, as it's putting everyone's life in danger...

BB

Peter

-

peter VV

Monday, December 04, 2006 7:01 PM

Re: Doherty fined for drug possession

Am I the only person who is amazed by how many times this waste of skin can get busted and still not do time?

Singer Pete Doherty has been fined for five counts of possessing drugs, including crack cocaine and heroin.

The 27-year-old, who has been having treatment for his addiction, appeared at Thames Magistrates Court in London. The Babyshambles frontman was ordered to pay £770 and disqualified from driving for four months. The singer who pleaded guilty at an earlier trial hugged fans outside the court. He told reporters he felt "relieved" about not going to jail.

District Judge Jane McIvor told Doherty that the offences were not serious enough to require a custodial sentence. "He's not going to jail. It's amazing," said 16-year-old fan Georgina Raymond. "I hugged him," she added. Doherty was arrested in April for possession of less than 2 grams each of heroin, cannabis and cocaine. It happened just three hours after he was sentenced to two years of community service for previous drug offences. In October he was fined £750 for assaulting BBC Radio 1 reporter Trudi Barber.

Peter H

You are not the only one Peter. I'm sick of hearing about him on the news.

Jo

-

peter VV

Am I the only person who is amazed by how many times this waste of skin can get busted and still not do time?

Singer Pete Doherty has been fined for five counts of possessing drugs, including crack cocaine and heroin.

The 27-year-old, who has been having treatment for his addiction, appeared at Thames Magistrates Court in London. The Babyshambles frontman was ordered to pay £770 and disqualified from driving for four months. The singer who pleaded guilty at an earlier trial hugged fans outside the court. He told reporters he felt "relieved" about not going to jail.

District Judge Jane McIvor told Doherty that the offences were not serious enough to require a custodial sentence. "He's not going to jail. It's amazing," said 16-year-old fan Georgina Raymond. "I hugged him," she added. Doherty was arrested in April for possession of less than 2 grams each of heroin, cannabis and cocaine. It happened just three hours after he was sentenced to two years of community service for previous drug offences. In October he was fined £750 for assaulting BBC Radio 1 reporter Trudi Barber.

Peter H

Hi Peter,

I have to say I do have a problem with people having even small amounts of drugs. Recently, my cousion was mugged and suffered very severe head injuries - he has been in hospital for quite a while. The police eventually traced the group of people responsible for this attack - six youths -(five boys and one girl )- ages approximately 17 - 19 years old. This attack on my cousion was for money to support their drug habit.

Also when a person who might be using drugs just for their own personal use might possibly get into their car to drive, surely this is not a good thing.

Teresa

-

Peter

Monday, December 04, 2006 9:39 PM

Hi Peter

Personally, I've got no problem with people having small amounts of drugs for their personal use (not like he had enough to be dealing) - I think it's a real waste of police and court time to be messing about with "less than 2 grams" of drugs when there's people being murdered, raped and mugged all over the place.

What I am intrigued by, though, is that he was banned from driving for four months. I thought driving bans were only ever used when a driving offence was involved - such as driving while under the influence of drugs.... that's a very different matter, as it's putting everyone's life in danger...

BB

Peter

-

peter VV

Peter H

Hi Teresa

>I have to say I do have a problem with people having even small amounts of drugs. Recently, my cousion was mugged and suffered very severe head injuries - he has been in hospital

> for quite a while. The police eventually traced the group of people responsible for this attack - six youths -(five boys and one girl )- ages approximately 17 - 19 years old. This attack

> on my cousion was for money to support their drug habit.

I've had two friends mugged recently - both by people who didn't have anything to do with drugs. Nasty people exist.

As for the drugs - if they weren't illegal, then people wouldn't have to pay as much to get them, and it wouldn't be so much of a problem. You rarely hear of anyone being mugged by someone because they need money to get cigarettes or alcohol (although I'm sure it does happen, just not frequently). It is the illegality that creates the culture that leads to muggings and violence, not the existence of the drugs.

>Also when a person who might be using drugs just for their own personal use might possibly get into their car to drive, surely this is not a good thing.

The vast majority of road deaths are caused by people who are under the influence of a perfectly legal substance - alcohol. No-one seems to take seriously the suggestion that we should ban alcohol, although fortunately most sensible people do agree that drunken driving should be severrly punished. Why are other drugs any different?

BB

Peter

Hi Peter,

You said in part :

> It is the illegality that creates the culture that leads to muggings and violence, not the >existence of the drugs.

Does that mean Peter that if we are in need of something, and it is illegal, that it gives us an excuse to be violent to another person?.

I agree with you that the vast majority of road deaths are caused by people who are under the influence of a perfectly legal substance of alcohol. There are strict restrictions on what a person is allowed to drink if they are going to drive their car - unfortunately there are those people who get into their cars who are very much over the limit but consider themselves to be quite safe - an accident waiting to happen.

Whatever the drug might be, surely it could be the case, that a person might consider themselves safe to drive and in full control but again perhaps "an accident waiting to happen.

Teresa

---- Original Message -----

Peter

Tuesday, December 05, 2006 6:11 PM

Hi Teresa

>I have to say I do have a problem with people having even small amounts of drugs. Recently, my cousion was mugged and suffered very severe head injuries - he has been in hospital

> for quite a while. The police eventually traced the group of people responsible for this attack - six youths -(five boys and one girl )- ages approximately 17 - 19 years old. This attack

I've had two friends mugged recently - both by people who didn't have anything to do with drugs. Nasty people exist.

As for the drugs - if they weren't illegal, then people wouldn't have to pay as much to get them, and it wouldn't be so much of a problem. You rarely hear of anyone being mugged by someone because they need money to get cigarettes or alcohol (although I'm sure it does happen, just not frequently). It is the illegality that creates the culture that leads to muggings and violence, not the existence of the drugs.

>Also when a person who might be using drugs just for their own personal use might possibly get into their car to drive, surely this is not a good thing.

The vast majority of road deaths are caused by people who are under the influence of a perfectly legal substance - alcohol. No-one seems to take seriously the suggestion that we should ban alcohol, although fortunately most sensible people do agree that drunken driving should be severrly punished. Why are other drugs any different?

BB

Peter

The thing is that he has been done so many times promised to get treatment for his addiction, declared himself clean so many times and then get busted but let off with fines ( which are trivial compared to what he probably earns ), he should have done time by now surely? Its not like he had a bit of blow , but typical addicts fare h & crack. There has to be a stage where his fame will no longer protect him? The Valley Vegan..............jo <jo.heartwork wrote: You are not the only one Peter. I'm sick of hearing about him on the news. Jo - peter VV Monday, December 04, 2006 7:01 PM Re: Doherty fined for drug possession Am I the only person who is amazed by how many times this waste of skin can get busted and still not do

time? Singer Pete Doherty has been fined for five counts of possessing drugs, including crack cocaine and heroin. The 27-year-old, who has been having treatment for his addiction, appeared at Thames Magistrates Court in London. The Babyshambles frontman was ordered to pay £770 and disqualified from driving for four months. The singer who pleaded guilty at an earlier trial hugged fans outside the court. He told reporters he felt "relieved" about not going to jail. District Judge Jane McIvor told Doherty that the offences were not serious enough to require a custodial sentence. "He's not going to jail. It's amazing," said 16-year-old fan Georgina Raymond. "I hugged him," she added. Doherty was arrested in April for possession of less than 2 grams each of heroin, cannabis and cocaine. It happened just three hours after he was sentenced to two years of community

service for previous drug offences. In October he was fined £750 for assaulting BBC Radio 1 reporter Trudi Barber. Peter H Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Peter H

I agree to a certain extent, a bit of blow now and then certainly, its when it developes into coke and smack that it gets to be a problem. As for the driving ban, well they probably dont want a smack head behind a wheel, and quite frankly I would agree with that.......... The Valley Vegan..............Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Peter Personally, I've got no problem with people having small amounts of drugs for their personal use (not like he had enough to be dealing) - I think it's a real waste of police and court time to be messing about with "less than 2 grams" of drugs when there's people being murdered, raped and mugged all over the place. What I am intrigued by, though, is that he was banned from driving for four months. I thought driving bans were only ever used when a driving offence was involved - such as driving while under the influence of drugs.... that's a very different matter, as it's putting everyone's life in danger... BB Peter ----- Original

Message ----- peter VV Monday, December 04, 2006 7:01 PM Re: Doherty fined for drug possession Am I the only person who is amazed by how many times this waste of skin can get busted and still not do time? Singer Pete Doherty has been fined for five counts of possessing drugs, including crack cocaine and heroin. The 27-year-old, who has been having treatment for his addiction, appeared at Thames Magistrates Court in London. The Babyshambles frontman was ordered to

pay £770 and disqualified from driving for four months. The singer who pleaded guilty at an earlier trial hugged fans outside the court. He told reporters he felt "relieved" about not going to jail. District Judge Jane McIvor told Doherty that the offences were not serious enough to require a custodial sentence. "He's not going to jail. It's amazing," said 16-year-old fan Georgina Raymond. "I hugged him," she added. Doherty was arrested in April for possession of less than 2 grams each of heroin, cannabis and cocaine. It happened just three hours after he was sentenced to two years of community service for previous drug offences. In October he was fined £750 for assaulting BBC Radio 1 reporter Trudi Barber. Peter H Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger. Peter H

HI Peter

I really don't know much about drugs - but I seem to have seen him on the telly about a dozen times with either new charges or breaking probation etc.

Jo

-

peter VV

Tuesday, December 05, 2006 7:54 PM

The thing is that he has been done so many times promised to get treatment for his addiction, declared himself clean so many times and then get busted but let off with fines ( which are trivial compared to what he probably earns ), he should have done time by now surely? Its not like he had a bit of blow , but typical addicts fare h & crack. There has to be a stage where his fame will no longer protect him?

The Valley Vegan..............jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

You are not the only one Peter. I'm sick of hearing about him on the news.

Jo

-

peter VV

Peter H

Peter H

Hi Teresa

>> It is the illegality that creates the culture that leads to muggings and violence, not the >existence of the drugs.

>Does that mean Peter that if we are in need of something, and it is illegal, that it gives us an excuse to be violent to another person?.

I am not justifying people being violent, I am explaining why they turn to violence. Firstly, because they have become addicted to something which is expensive due to it being illegal - therefore in order to obtain it, people have to find more money than they would if it were legal. Secondly, and far more importantly, people who take drugs other than alcohol and tobacco have already been criminalised - therefore they have absolutely no incentive to remain within the law when it comes to obtaining those drugs.

>I agree with you that the vast majority of road deaths are caused by people who are under the influence of a perfectly legal substance of alcohol. There are strict restrictions on what a

> person is allowed to drink if they are going to drive their car - unfortunately there are those people who get into their cars who are very much over the limit but consider themselves to

> be quite safe - an accident waiting to happen.

>Whatever the drug might be, surely it could be the case, that a person might consider themselves safe to drive and in full control but again perhaps "an accident waiting to happen.

Indeed - but that doesn't explain why possession of alcohol is legal, and posession of other drugs illegal. In fact, I am reliably informed by people who indulge in various drugs that alcohol tends to lead one into being unable to make such judgements, while other drugs tend to leave them with a much clearer judgement of their abilities - they know they are "high" and would be dangerous if in charge of a vehicle.

BB

Peter

Hi Peter

>I agree to a certain extent, a bit of blow now and then certainly, its when it developes into coke and smack that it gets to be a problem.

Although there you've hit on a common myth that use of one drug automatically leads to use of harder drugs, which just doesn't seem to be the case.

BB

Peter

Hi there Jo,

With regard to driving and being under the influence - my husband years ago whilst he was working in London noticed a woman staggering to her car and then trying to put her car key into the lock. My husband went up to the lady and politely tried to persuade her not to drive - she became abusive and refused. My husband then took the keys from her hand and refused to give them back. Meanwhile a police car that was passing by stopped - the policeman who came over to see what was going on could plainly see what the problem was with this lady and after hearing that my husband had taken her car keys away thanked my husband for intervening in this situation and said this was obviously an accident waiting to happen if she had got into her car. My husband handed the car keys to the policeman and then went on his way. When hubby mentioned what had happened to some of his co-workers the response was that he shouldn't have taken away this woman's keys! My husband responded in saying what if she had got into her car and killed somebody. Nobody replied!

Teresa

-

jo

Tuesday, December 05, 2006 7:54 PM

Hi Teresa

The police will test for drugs (other than alcohol) if a person is driving badly - it is illegal to drive under the influence of any drug - they even put warnings on some cough medicines. Although there are strict guidelines on the amounts of alcohol to drink, quite a number of people ignore the advice, and I guess far more people drink alcohol regularly than take drugs regularly.

I don't think that wanting something gives anyone the right to steal from anyone else, and I don't believe that is what was said.

Jo

-

Geraldine McCarthy

Tuesday, December 05, 2006 7:09 PM

Hi Peter,

You said in part :

> It is the illegality that creates the culture that leads to muggings and violence, not the >existence of the drugs.

Does that mean Peter that if we are in need of something, and it is illegal, that it gives us an excuse to be violent to another person?.

I agree with you that the vast majority of road deaths are caused by people who are under the influence of a perfectly legal substance of alcohol. There are strict restrictions on what a person is allowed to drink if they are going to drive their car - unfortunately there are those people who get into their cars who are very much over the limit but consider themselves to be quite safe - an accident waiting to happen.

Whatever the drug might be, surely it could be the case, that a person might consider themselves safe to drive and in full control but again perhaps "an accident waiting to happen.

Teresa

---- Original Message -----

Peter

Tuesday, December 05, 2006 6:11 PM

Hi Teresa

BB

Peter

I never meant that it always does, I said when it does. Maybe I should have said where it does? The Valley Vegan............Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Peter >I agree to a certain extent, a bit of blow now and then certainly, its when it developes into coke and smack that it gets to be a problem. Although there you've

hit on a common myth that use of one drug automatically leads to use of harder drugs, which just doesn't seem to be the case. BB Peter Peter H

Peter, I think the major flaw in the last statement is that anyone who has induged in any drug can make a call as to how good their reactions are to enable them to drive. I did a bit in my younger days and I hung around with people who regularly did drugs and I can tell you it aint so. Different drugs affect you in different ways some like speed/ E`s make you edgy, too much blow and your way too relaxed, if you touch smack dont even leave the house, and hulucinagenics like acid and shrooms, well you probably would be able to tell you were tripping and wouldnt want to drive unless you lost touch with reality totally. Same goes for booze, some people reckon they are o.k. on 1 pint, some on 2, or 3 etc. it all impairs your judgement in one way or another. The Valley Vegan................Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Teresa >> It is the illegality that creates the culture that leads to muggings and violence, not the >existence of the drugs. >Does that mean Peter that if we are in need of something, and it is illegal, that it gives us an excuse to be violent to another person?. I am not justifying people being violent, I am explaining why they turn

to violence. Firstly, because they have become addicted to something which is expensive due to it being illegal - therefore in order to obtain it, people have to find more money than they would if it were legal. Secondly, and far more importantly, people who take drugs other than alcohol and tobacco have already been criminalised - therefore they have absolutely no incentive to remain within the law when it comes to obtaining those drugs. >I agree with you that the vast majority of road deaths are caused by people who are under the influence of a perfectly legal substance of alcohol. There are strict restrictions on what a > person is allowed to drink if they are going to drive their car - unfortunately there are those people who get into their cars who are very much over the limit but consider

themselves to > be quite safe - an accident waiting to happen. >Whatever the drug might be, surely it could be the case, that a person might consider themselves safe to drive and in full control but again perhaps "an accident waiting to happen. Indeed - but that doesn't explain why possession of alcohol is legal, and posession of other drugs illegal. In fact, I am reliably informed by people who indulge in various drugs that alcohol tends to lead one into being unable to make such judgements, while other drugs tend to leave them with a much clearer judgement of their abilities - they know they are "high" and would be dangerous if in charge of a vehicle. BB Peter Peter H

Hi Peter

Indeed - it's just one of those things that so many people state as though it's fact, I tend to "jump". Apologies for misintepreting :-)

BB

Peter

-

peter VV

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 6:36 PM

I never meant that it always does, I said when it does. Maybe I should have said where it does?

The Valley Vegan............Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Peter

>I agree to a certain extent, a bit of blow now and then certainly, its when it developes into coke and smack that it gets to be a problem.

Although there you've hit on a common myth that use of one drug automatically leads to use of harder drugs, which just doesn't seem to be the case.

BB

Peter

Peter H

Hi Peter

Never having done any drugs, I can't really disagree - merely stating what other people have told me. My one experience of being dunk, I knew that I wasn't fully in control, and had I been old enough to drive, I'd have known that I was too drunk to do so...

BB

Peter

-

peter VV

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 6:50 PM

Peter, I think the major flaw in the last statement is that anyone who has induged in any drug can make a call as to how good their reactions are to enable them to drive. I did a bit in my younger days and I hung around with people who regularly did drugs and I can tell you it aint so. Different drugs affect you in different ways some like speed/ E`s make you edgy, too much blow and your way too relaxed, if you touch smack dont even leave the house, and hulucinagenics like acid and shrooms, well you probably would be able to tell you were tripping and wouldnt want to drive unless you lost touch with reality totally.

Same goes for booze, some people reckon they are o.k. on 1 pint, some on 2, or 3 etc. it all impairs your judgement in one way or another.

The Valley Vegan................Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Teresa

>> It is the illegality that creates the culture that leads to muggings and violence, not the >existence of the drugs.

>Does that mean Peter that if we are in need of something, and it is illegal, that it gives us an excuse to be violent to another person?.

I am not justifying people being violent, I am explaining why they turn to violence. Firstly, because they have become addicted to something which is expensive due to it being illegal - therefore in order to obtain it, people have to find more money than they would if it were legal. Secondly, and far more importantly, people who take drugs other than alcohol and tobacco have already been criminalised - therefore they have absolutely no incentive to remain within the law when it comes to obtaining those drugs.

>I agree with you that the vast majority of road deaths are caused by people who are under the influence of a perfectly legal substance of alcohol. There are strict restrictions on what a

> person is allowed to drink if they are going to drive their car - unfortunately there are those people who get into their cars who are very much over the limit but consider themselves to

> be quite safe - an accident waiting to happen.

>Whatever the drug might be, surely it could be the case, that a person might consider themselves safe to drive and in full control but again perhaps "an accident waiting to happen.

Indeed - but that doesn't explain why possession of alcohol is legal, and posession of other drugs illegal. In fact, I am reliably informed by people who indulge in various drugs that alcohol tends to lead one into being unable to make such judgements, while other drugs tend to leave them with a much clearer judgement of their abilities - they know they are "high" and would be dangerous if in charge of a vehicle.

BB

Peter

Peter H