IndiaDivine.org

Newbie in SoCal asking about tofurky

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello Fellow Vegans, I'm new to this group and new to veganism. A few yrs ago I was vegetarian for 18 months, and have decided to return to the veggie lifestyle, this time going vegan. Forgive me for being forward and not typing any more niceties before delving into the "meat" of this message (pun intended, har-dee-har-har!), but I've got some questions that I'm dying to have answered. Question: What does tofurky taste like, and would it be tasty to someone who doesn't like soy products? Let's be real, not all soy products taste good. To be honest, I generally don't like soy products, except for soy corn dogs. Not plain soy dogs, those I find horrible, they have to be corndogs, which means they're surrounded by deep fried cornbread. (Deep fried... mmm, hehe!) Is tofurky something that is tasty for people like me, one who doesn't generally like soy products? I love sausage just as

much as any meat eater, but I've become educated about the meat industry and it's <horrific> cruelty to animals, its waste of the earth, the injustice to the world's poor, and the ill effects on health in general. Oh yeah, and it adds more bulk to my already big butt, lol. Sooo, meat sausage is out, no ifs ands or butts, 'specially when it adds to the size of my own. Has anyone tested tofurky on omnivores? What about omnivores who don't generally like soy, did anyone like the tofurky? Inquiring minds wanna know. Thank you guys for e-listening, and I look forward to reading more entries. I look forward even more to making some new friends here, the more the merrier. <3 : ^ ) <3 Fondly, ~Dolores Each moment contains a hundred messages from God: To every cry of "Oh Lord," He answers a hundred times, "I am here." ~Mevlana Rumi Official website of The Bahá'í Faith http://www.bahai.org People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) http://www.peta.org

welcome dolores

i guess i would have to say "that depends"

depends on the person, and depends on how its cooked

i've known lotsa carnies who liked tofurkey

now..me, personally, i find it "ok"..

i use to like unturkey a lot better

but again, matter of taste

buy one of the small ones and test it out

cheers

fraggle

"Dolores G. Llamas" Dec 26, 2006 9:19 AM Newbie in SoCal asking about tofurky

Hello Fellow Vegans,

I'm new to this group and new to veganism. A few yrs ago I was vegetarian for 18 months, and have decided to return to the veggie lifestyle, this time going vegan. Forgive me for being forward and not typing any more niceties before delving into the "meat" of this message (pun intended, har-dee-har-har!), but I've got some questions that I'm dying to have answered.

Question: What does tofurky taste like, and would it be tasty to someone who doesn't like soy products? Let's be real, not all soy products taste good. To be honest, I generally don't like soy products, except for soy corn dogs. Not plain soy dogs, those I find horrible, they have to be corndogs, which means they're surrounded by deep fried cornbread. (Deep fried... mmm, hehe!) Is tofurky something that is tasty for people like me, one who doesn't generally like soy products? I love sausage just as much as any meat eater, but I've become educated about the meat industry and it's <horrific> cruelty to animals, its waste of the earth, the injustice to the world's poor, and the ill effects on health in general. Oh yeah, and it adds more bulk to my already big butt, lol. Sooo, meat sausage is out, no ifs ands or butts, 'specially when it adds to the size of my own.

Has anyone tested tofurky on omnivores? What about omnivores who don't generally like soy, did anyone like the tofurky? Inquiring minds wanna know.

Thank you guys for e-listening, and I look forward to reading more entries. I look forward even more to making some new friends here, the more the merrier. <3 : ^ ) <3

Fondly,

~Dolores

Each moment contains a hundred messages from God: To every cry of "Oh Lord," He answers a hundred times, "I am here."

~Mevlana Rumi

Official website of The Bahá'í Faith

http://www.bahai.org

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA)

http://www.peta.org

I'm getting Pissed for X-mas

Just like the rest of the Year

There's no future in this lonely world

So might as well have a beer

Hi Dolores,

There is tofurkey the roast, and then there are things labeled tofurkey,

which are lunch meat thingies. Don't like the latter, but the roast is

delicious. I think a lot of its success lies in the baste. I use tamari

and olive oil. I know tamari is basically soy sauce, but even if it's only

in my mind, it tastes better. The nice thing about the tofurkey roast is

that it has a texture that is meat-like.

Perhaps for that reason, my vegetarian daughter (age 13) doesn't really like

it, but my non-veg son (age 18) proclaimed it decent. My daughter likes

those tofurkey sausage dealies which are soft and gooey and not chewy like

meat.

You can get the " giblet " gravy to go with it also. That also is very good

Tastes vary incredibly, so you really have to try it yourself. As for

non-vegetarians, sometimes it's hard to get them to even consider trying

something. I personally am not one of those great, imaginative cooks, so I

like convenience foods, and among vegan convenience foods this is one of the

best in my opinion.

sharon

> " Dolores G. Llamas " <doloresgllamas

>

>

> Newbie in SoCal asking about tofurky

>Tue, 26 Dec 2006 09:19:25 -0800 (PST)

>

>Hello Fellow Vegans,

>

> I'm new to this group and new to veganism. A few yrs ago I was

>vegetarian for 18 months, and have decided to return to the veggie

>lifestyle, this time going vegan. Forgive me for being forward and not

>typing any more niceties before delving into the " meat " of this message

>(pun intended, har-dee-har-har!), but I've got some questions that I'm

>dying to have answered.

>

> Question: What does tofurky taste like, and would it be tasty to someone

>who doesn't like soy products? Let's be real, not all soy products taste

>good. To be honest, I generally don't like soy products, except for soy

>corn dogs. Not plain soy dogs, those I find horrible, they have to be

>corndogs, which means they're surrounded by deep fried cornbread. (Deep

>fried... mmm, hehe!) Is tofurky something that is tasty for people like me,

>one who doesn't generally like soy products? I love sausage just as much as

>any meat eater, but I've become educated about the meat industry and it's

><horrific> cruelty to animals, its waste of the earth, the injustice to the

>world's poor, and the ill effects on health in general. Oh yeah, and it

>adds more bulk to my already big butt, lol. Sooo, meat sausage is out, no

>ifs ands or butts, 'specially when it adds to the size of my own.

>

> Has anyone tested tofurky on omnivores? What about omnivores who don't

>generally like soy, did anyone like the tofurky? Inquiring minds wanna

>know.

>

> Thank you guys for e-listening, and I look forward to reading more

>entries. I look forward even more to making some new friends here, the more

>the merrier. <3 : ^ ) <3

>

> Fondly,

> ~Dolores

>

>

> Each moment contains a hundred messages from God: To every cry of

> " Oh Lord, " He answers a hundred times, " I am here. "

> ~Mevlana Rumi

>

> Official website of The Bahá'í Faith

> http://www.bahai.org

>

> People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA)

> http://www.peta.org

>

>

>

Type your favorite song.  Get a customized station.  Try MSN Radio powered

by Pandora. http://radio.msn.com/?icid=T002MSN03A07001

Hi Dolores, and welcome to the group, my knowledge of anlogues is zero, so I will let the others fill you in. Just wanting to say hi. The Valley Vegan................"Dolores G. Llamas" <doloresgllamas wrote: Hello Fellow Vegans, I'm new to this group and new to veganism. A few yrs ago I was vegetarian for 18 months, and have decided to return to the veggie lifestyle, this time going vegan. Forgive me for being forward and not typing any

more niceties before delving into the "meat" of this message (pun intended, har-dee-har-har!), but I've got some questions that I'm dying to have answered. Question: What does tofurky taste like, and would it be tasty to someone who doesn't like soy products? Let's be real, not all soy products taste good. To be honest, I generally don't like soy products, except for soy corn dogs. Not plain soy dogs, those I find horrible, they have to be corndogs, which means they're surrounded by deep fried cornbread. (Deep fried... mmm, hehe!) Is tofurky something that is tasty for people like me, one who doesn't generally like soy products? I love sausage just as much as any meat eater, but I've become educated about the meat industry and it's <horrific> cruelty to animals, its waste of the earth, the injustice to the world's poor, and the ill effects on health in general. Oh yeah, and it adds more bulk to my already

big butt, lol. Sooo, meat sausage is out, no ifs ands or butts, 'specially when it adds to the size of my own. Has anyone tested tofurky on omnivores? What about omnivores who don't generally like soy, did anyone like the tofurky? Inquiring minds wanna know. Thank you guys for e-listening, and I look forward to reading more entries. I look forward even more to making some new friends here, the more the merrier. <3 : ^ ) <3 Fondly, ~Dolores Each moment contains a hundred messages from God: To every cry of "Oh Lord," He answers a hundred times, "I am here." ~Mevlana Rumi Official website of The Bahá'í Faith http://www.bahai.org People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) http://www.peta.org Peter H

Messenger - with free PC-PC calling and photo sharing.

Welcome, Dolores! I love tofurkey--just wish they'd change the name. The guy who plays sax in my band is an adventurous omnivore who eats tofurkey every time we bring it around. He prefers the bird, but he always eats at least one piece of tofurkey and says it's good. Sorry, wish I had more to report. Most of the omnivores I know are sqeamish about trying any form of tofu.

My husband, Tim (who's from Milwaukee and doesn't eat animals but does eat everything else), swears by Boca brats, but I don't know if they're vegan or not. Never tried 'em and don't go near the kitchen when he's cooking 'em!

Carolyn

-

Dolores G. Llamas

Tuesday, December 26, 2006 12:19 PM

Hello Fellow Vegans,

I'm new to this group and new to veganism. A few yrs ago I was vegetarian for 18 months, and have decided to return to the veggie lifestyle, this time going vegan. Forgive me for being forward and not typing any more niceties before delving into the "meat" of this message (pun intended, har-dee-har-har!), but I've got some questions that I'm dying to have answered.

Question: What does tofurky taste like, and would it be tasty to someone who doesn't like soy products? Let's be real, not all soy products taste good. To be honest, I generally don't like soy products, except for soy corn dogs. Not plain soy dogs, those I find horrible, they have to be corndogs, which means they're surrounded by deep fried cornbread. (Deep fried... mmm, hehe!) Is tofurky something that is tasty for people like me, one who doesn't generally like soy products? I love sausage just as much as any meat eater, but I've become educated about the meat industry and it's <horrific> cruelty to animals, its waste of the earth, the injustice to the world's poor, and the ill effects on health in general. Oh yeah, and it adds more bulk to my already big butt, lol. Sooo, meat sausage is out, no ifs ands or butts, 'specially when it adds to the size of my own.

Has anyone tested tofurky on omnivores? What about omnivores who don't generally like soy, did anyone like the tofurky? Inquiring minds wanna know.

Thank you guys for e-listening, and I look forward to reading more entries. I look forward even more to making some new friends here, the more the merrier. <3 : ^ ) <3

Fondly,

~Dolores

Each moment contains a hundred messages from God: To every cry of "Oh Lord," He answers a hundred times, "I am here."

~Mevlana Rumi

since the time Boca got bought out, you have to make sure that any products you buy from em actually say Vegan on the label....

Carolyn H Dec 29, 2006 8:43 AM Re: Newbie in SoCal asking about tofurky

Welcome, Dolores! I love tofurkey--just wish they'd change the name. The guy who plays sax in my band is an adventurous omnivore who eats tofurkey every time we bring it around. He prefers the bird, but he always eats at least one piece of tofurkey and says it's good. Sorry, wish I had more to report. Most of the omnivores I know are sqeamish about trying any form of tofu.

My husband, Tim (who's from Milwaukee and doesn't eat animals but does eat everything else), swears by Boca brats, but I don't know if they're vegan or not. Never tried 'em and don't go near the kitchen when he's cooking 'em!

Carolyn

-

Dolores G. Llamas

Hello Fellow Vegans,

Fondly,

~Dolores

~Mevlana Rumi

What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so.

- Mark Twain

yup, that's right.

-

fraggle

Friday, December 29, 2006 1:46 PM

Re: Newbie in SoCal asking about tofurky

since the time Boca got bought out, you have to make sure that any products you buy from em actually say Vegan on the label....

Carolyn H Dec 29, 2006 8:43 AM Re: Newbie in SoCal asking about tofurky

Carolyn

-

Dolores G. Llamas

Hello Fellow Vegans,

Fondly,

~Dolores

~Mevlana Rumi

What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so.

- Mark Twain

Hello Carolyn, Thanx for the story about your omnivore friend, it's cool that he's open-minded and eats tofurky. I tried tofurky for the first time yesterday. I did notice that distinctive soy fake meat flavor in it, I guess that flavor is inescapable in soy fake meats. However, the spices and other flavorings in the sausage were strong and tasty enough to make the experience quite pleasurable. I ate the Italian flavor tofurky sliced up in tomato soup with sliced carrots in it. Yum! In fact, despite the fake meat flavor, overall I liked it enough to eat it again this morning sliced with potato. Mmmmm!!! As for the Boca Brats, here's the URL to the Boca Foods website where you can check nutritional information and ingredients: http://www.bocaburger.com/product_meatless.html I'm SO HAPPY

to have gone veg, and I wanna shout it on the rooftops... WOOHOO!!! Official website of The Bahá'í Faith http://www.bahai.org The Humane Society of the United States http://www.hsus.org People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) http://www.peta.org

Hi Dolores,

Welcome to the group :)

Teresa

-

Dolores G. Llamas

Tuesday, December 26, 2006 5:19 PM

Hello Fellow Vegans,

Fondly,

~Dolores

~Mevlana Rumi

veg is good well done ...... but why not go all the way and come Vegan ???? "Dolores G. Llamas" <doloresgllamas wrote: Hello Carolyn, Thanx for the story about your omnivore friend, it's cool that he's open-minded and eats tofurky. I tried tofurky for the first time yesterday. I did notice that distinctive soy fake meat flavor in it, I guess that flavor is inescapable in soy fake meats. However, the spices and other flavorings in the sausage were strong

and tasty enough to make the experience quite pleasurable. I ate the Italian flavor tofurky sliced up in tomato soup with sliced carrots in it. Yum! In fact, despite the fake meat flavor, overall I liked it enough to eat it again this morning sliced with potato. Mmmmm!!! As for the Boca Brats, here's the URL to the Boca Foods website where you can check nutritional information and ingredients: http://www.bocaburger.com/product_meatless.html I'm SO HAPPY to have gone veg, and I wanna shout it on the rooftops... WOOHOO!!! Official website of The Bahá'í Faith http://www.bahai.org The Humane Society of the United States http://www.hsus.org People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) http://www.peta.org Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Dolores,

I've been meatless for so long that I can't discern a fake meat flavor :) Before I went vegan, I used to eat Morningstar fake bacon in blt's--it was sooooo good! I remarked to my brother once that it "tastes exactly like real bacon," and he informed me that it tastes nothing like real bacon. Obviously, I'm not the best person to tell you what's going to taste good to an omnivore--I was never much of a meat eater anyway, except for bacon :( Your experiments w/tofurky sound really good--thanks for sharing. T and I will check them out the next time we get a craving for it. Thanks also for the URL to Boca Foods. I'll definitely investigate before I bite.

I'm so happy for you! It is a great feeling when you start eating clean food. If your experience is anything like mine was, you'll notice lots of positive changes almost immediately. WOOHOO!!!

cheers,

Carolyn

-

Dolores G. Llamas

Friday, December 29, 2006 5:31 PM

Re: Newbie in SoCal asking about tofurky

Hello Carolyn,

Thanx for the story about your omnivore friend, it's cool that he's open-minded and eats tofurky. I tried tofurky for the first time yesterday. I did notice that distinctive soy fake meat flavor in it, I guess that flavor is inescapable in soy fake meats. However, the spices and other flavorings in the sausage were strong and tasty enough to make the experience quite pleasurable. I ate the Italian flavor tofurky sliced up in tomato soup with sliced carrots in it. Yum! In fact, despite the fake meat flavor, overall I liked it enough to eat it again this morning sliced with potato. Mmmmm!!!

As for the Boca Brats, here's the URL to the Boca Foods website where you can check nutritional information and ingredients: http://www.bocaburger.com/product_meatless.html

I'm SO HAPPY to have gone veg, and I wanna shout it on the rooftops... WOOHOO!!!

The Humane Society of the United States

http://www.hsus.org

• 2 weeks later...

I did go vegan, but was teetering in the very very beginning. I wanted

to be 100% vegan, but I still had some non veg food in the fridge, so I

was eating it. I didn't finish it, my sister can. I'm a vegan and love

it.

In , louis stott <lsstott wrote:

veg is good well done ...... but why not go all the way and come

Vegan ????

Thanx to everyone for your input, much appreciated. I tried Tofurky

Italian sausage links, and they're *delicious*. They did have that

unmistakable soy fake meat flavor, which I don't think I'll ever get