IndiaDivine.org

Veganize Chicken & Dumplings?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

One of my favorite "comfort food" recipes as an omni was Chicken and Dumplings. It was basically chicken breasts baked in Cream of Chicken soup... then topped with Bisquick dumplings at the end. My family misses it, but I'm not sure how to create a vegan version. Does anyone have any tips on veganizing this recipe?

Toni

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with catsup.

In England you can get Redwoods chicken-type pieces which are delicious. There must be something similar in America. You could then make a soup with vegan cream and vegetables etc. and add the chicken. Dumplings can easily be made with all vegan ingredients.

Jo

-

Toni

FeralVeg ; VeganChat

Friday, December 29, 2006 1:33 AM

One of my favorite "comfort food" recipes as an omni was Chicken and Dumplings. It was basically chicken breasts baked in Cream of Chicken soup... then topped with Bisquick dumplings at the end. My family misses it, but I'm not sure how to create a vegan version. Does anyone have any tips on veganizing this recipe?

Toni

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with catsup.

mmmmm, yes, chicken and dumplings was great!

So let's see ... bisquick appears to be vegetarian. So for a vegan version,

you could substitute water or soymilk for the milk. Actually, when I make

mashed potatoes, I use " no-chicken broth " that I get from Whole Foods Market

instead of the milk. It is very good.

For the chicken, there are vegan " chicken " substitutes. You could roast a

tofurkey and use leftovers to make this. Quorn is good, but not vegan.

There are a number of nuggets, etc., that are vegan but you have to read the

ingredients cause lots of them aren't.

Instead of the cream soup ... perhaps you could use something like the

" no-chicken broth " and thicken it with cornstarch??? Or there are various

vegan gravy packets you can buy that could be used.

Or you could just make a vegetable soup and put the dumplings on top.

If you try any of these things, please let me know how they work out!

good luck,

sharon

>Toni <peculiardragon

>

>FeralVeg , VeganChat

>

> Veganize Chicken & Dumplings?

>Thu, 28 Dec 2006 17:33:36 -0800 (PST)

>

>One of my favorite " comfort food " recipes as an omni was Chicken and

>Dumplings. It was basically chicken breasts baked in Cream of Chicken

>soup... then topped with Bisquick dumplings at the end. My family misses

>it, but I'm not sure how to create a vegan version. Does anyone have any

>tips on veganizing this recipe?

>

>Toni

>Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good

>with catsup.

>

>

>

>

>

Get FREE Web site and company branded e-mail from Microsoft Office Live

http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/mcrssaub0050001411mrt/direct/01/

I think Morningstar makes something similar. Does anyone know offhand if they are vegan? I can't get the Morningstar site to come up today. I tried the Heart Smart Bisquick with Silk soymilk in some vegetable stock and they came out beautifully. Perhaps adding the vegan cream and some cornstarch to thicken would make a cream of vegetable soup. The ol' mind is churning now! Thanks for the tips.

Toni

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Thursday, December 28, 2006 8:29:50 PMRe: Veganize Chicken & Dumplings?

In England you can get Redwoods chicken-type pieces which are delicious. There must be something similar in America. You could then make a soup with vegan cream and vegetables etc. and add the chicken. Dumplings can easily be made with all vegan ingredients.

Jo

-

Toni

FeralVeg ; VeganChat

Toni

____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __ http://mail.

I just sent off a message about my experiences with the dumplings. I'll be on the lookout for the chicken substitutes. Quorn is one of those things I can't get around here, but I think Morningstar has similar. I'll keep you posted as I experiment and post a recipe when all is said and done.

Toni

Sharon Murch <grace4compassion Sent: Thursday, December 28, 2006 10:25:01 PMRE: Veganize Chicken & Dumplings?

mmmmm, yes, chicken and dumplings was great!So let's see ... bisquick appears to be vegetarian. So for a vegan version, you could substitute water or soymilk for the milk. Actually, when I make mashed potatoes, I use "no-chicken broth" that I get from Whole Foods Market instead of the milk. It is very good.For the chicken, there are vegan "chicken" substitutes. You could roast a tofurkey and use leftovers to make this. Quorn is good, but not vegan. There are a number of nuggets, etc., that are vegan but you have to read the ingredients cause lots of them aren't.Instead of the cream soup ... perhaps you could use something like the "no-chicken broth" and thicken it with cornstarch?? ? Or there are various vegan gravy packets you can buy that could be used.Or you could just make a vegetable soup and put the dumplings on top.If you try any of these things, please let me know how they work

out!good luck,sharon>Toni <peculiardragon@ >>@gro ups.com>FeralVeg <>, VeganChat ><@gro ups.com>> Veganize Chicken & Dumplings?>Thu, 28 Dec 2006 17:33:36 -0800 (PST)>>One of my favorite "comfort food" recipes as an omni was Chicken and >Dumplings. It was basically chicken breasts baked in Cream of Chicken >soup... then topped with Bisquick dumplings at the end. My family misses >it, but I'm not sure how to create a vegan version.

Does anyone have any >tips on veganizing this recipe?>>Toni>Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good >with catsup.>>___________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ___>>>http://mail. ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _Get FREE Web site and company branded e-mail from Microsoft Office Live http://clk.atdmt. com/MRT/go/ mcrssaub00500014 11mrt/direct/ 01/

what analogs are readily available in your area?

i know quorn and veet are widespread, but neither are vegan

there are a number of soy or gluten analogs out there...so the chicken part should be easy

also, worse comes to worse, we have layonna here in oakland

you can see if they ship

their entire store is veggie meat anaolgs and some asian ingredients

http://www.layonna.com/

Toni Dec 28, 2006 5:33 PM FeralVeg , VeganChat Veganize Chicken & Dumplings?

Toni

What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so.

- Mark Twain

There a bunch of stuff on vegweb

even a chikin and biskit recipe

http://vegweb.com/index.php?board=324.0

"NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice. They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no recourse nor protection save to call for the impeachment of the current President."

there are a number of different brands/varieties here...

there's even one that comes in a can, called cedar lake (tho, i don't like it very much)

jo Dec 28, 2006 6:29 PM Re: Veganize Chicken & Dumplings?

Jo

-

Toni

FeralVeg ; VeganChat

Toni

What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so.

- Mark Twain

Morningstar and Boca products are about the only analogs available around here. It can get frustrating finding certain items and shipping can be so expensive... especially on a student's limited budget.

Toni

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Friday, December 29, 2006 11:18:29 AMRe: Veganize Chicken & Dumplings?

there are a number of soy or gluten analogs out there...so the chicken part should be easy

you can see if they ship

http://www.layonna. com/

Toni

- Mark Twain

eww morningstar

how easily can you find seitan?

do you have bulk available?

Toni Dec 29, 2006 9:48 AM Re: Veganize Chicken & Dumplings?

Morningstar and Boca products are about the only analogs available around here. It can get frustrating finding certain items and shipping can be so expensive... especially on a student's limited budget.

Toni

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Friday, December 29, 2006 11:18:29 AMRe: Veganize Chicken & Dumplings?

you can see if they ship

http://www.layonna. com/

Toni

____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ __ http://mail. What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so.

- Mark Twain

- Mark Twain

FYI

Morningstar isn't vegan

Toni Dec 28, 2006 8:54 PM Re: Veganize Chicken & Dumplings?

I just sent off a message about my experiences with the dumplings. I'll be on the lookout for the chicken substitutes. Quorn is one of those things I can't get around here, but I think Morningstar has similar. I'll keep you posted as I experiment and post a recipe when all is said and done.

Toni

Sharon Murch <grace4compassion Sent: Thursday, December 28, 2006 10:25:01 PMRE: Veganize Chicken & Dumplings?

mmmmm, yes, chicken and dumplings was great!So let's see ... bisquick appears to be vegetarian. So for a vegan version, you could substitute water or soymilk for the milk. Actually, when I make mashed potatoes, I use "no-chicken broth" that I get from Whole Foods Market instead of the milk. It is very good.For the chicken, there are vegan "chicken" substitutes. You could roast a tofurkey and use leftovers to make this. Quorn is good, but not vegan. There are a number of nuggets, etc., that are vegan but you have to read the ingredients cause lots of them aren't.Instead of the cream soup ... perhaps you could use something like the "no-chicken broth" and thicken it with cornstarch?? ? Or there are various vegan gravy packets you can buy that could be used.Or you could just make a vegetable soup and put the dumplings on top.If you try any of these things, please let me know how they work out!good luck,sharon>Toni <peculiardragon@ >>@gro ups.com>FeralVeg <>, VeganChat ><@gro ups.com>> Veganize Chicken & Dumplings?>Thu, 28 Dec 2006 17:33:36 -0800 (PST)>>One of my favorite "comfort food" recipes as an omni was Chicken and >Dumplings. It was basically chicken breasts baked in Cream of Chicken >soup... then topped with Bisquick dumplings at the end. My family misses >it, but I'm not sure how to create a vegan version. Does anyone have any >tips on veganizing this recipe?>>Toni>Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good >with catsup.>>___________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ___>>>http://mail. ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _Get FREE Web site and company branded e-mail from Microsoft Office Live http://clk.atdmt. com/MRT/go/ mcrssaub00500014 11mrt/direct/ 01/

- Mark Twain

nope

they also have so many ingredients in em (stabilizers, preservatives, etc) that at the end of the list it should say "continued on other box"

Toni Dec 28, 2006 8:51 PM Re: Veganize Chicken & Dumplings?

I think Morningstar makes something similar. Does anyone know offhand if they are vegan? I can't get the Morningstar site to come up today. I tried the Heart Smart Bisquick with Silk soymilk in some vegetable stock and they came out beautifully. Perhaps adding the vegan cream and some cornstarch to thicken would make a cream of vegetable soup. The ol' mind is churning now! Thanks for the tips.

Toni

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Thursday, December 28, 2006 8:29:50 PMRe: Veganize Chicken & Dumplings?

Jo

-

Toni

FeralVeg ; VeganChat

Toni

- Mark Twain

a big thank you for pointin this out as im doin my shopin list for 2moro so thank you fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: FYI Morningstar isn't vegan Toni Dec 28, 2006 8:54 PM Re: Veganize Chicken & Dumplings? I just sent off a message about my experiences with the dumplings. I'll be on the lookout for the chicken substitutes. Quorn is one of those things I can't get around here, but I think Morningstar has similar. I'll keep you posted as I experiment and post a recipe when all is said and done. Toni Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with catsup. Sharon Murch <grace4compassion (AT) hotmail (DOT) com> Sent: Thursday,

December 28, 2006 10:25:01 PMRE: Veganize Chicken & Dumplings? mmmmm, yes, chicken and dumplings was great!So let's see ... bisquick appears to be vegetarian. So for a vegan version, you could substitute water or soymilk for the milk. Actually, when I make mashed potatoes, I use "no-chicken broth" that I get from Whole Foods Market instead of the milk. It is very good.For the chicken, there are vegan "chicken" substitutes. You could roast a tofurkey and use leftovers to make this. Quorn is good, but not vegan. There are a number of nuggets, etc., that are vegan but you have to read the ingredients cause lots of them aren't.Instead of the cream soup ... perhaps you could use something like the "no-chicken broth" and thicken it with cornstarch?? ? Or there are various vegan gravy packets you can buy that could be used.Or you could just make a

vegetable soup and put the dumplings on top.If you try any of these things, please let me know how they work out!good luck,sharon>Toni <peculiardragon@ >>@gro ups.com>FeralVeg <>, VeganChat ><@gro ups.com>> Veganize Chicken & Dumplings?>Thu, 28 Dec 2006 17:33:36 -0800 (PST)>>One of my favorite "comfort food" recipes as an omni was Chicken and >Dumplings. It was basically chicken breasts baked in Cream of Chicken >soup... then

topped with Bisquick dumplings at the end. My family misses >it, but I'm not sure how to create a vegan version. Does anyone have any >tips on veganizing this recipe?>>Toni>Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good >with catsup.>>___________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ___>>>http://mail. ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _Get FREE Web site and company branded e-mail from Microsoft Office Live http://clk.atdmt. com/MRT/go/ mcrssaub00500014 11mrt/direct/

01/ What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so. - Mark Twain Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Yep - we can get Redwoods or Frys - I think that's about it though/

Jo

-

fraggle

Friday, December 29, 2006 5:33 PM

Re: Veganize Chicken & Dumplings?

there are a number of different brands/varieties here...

there's even one that comes in a can, called cedar lake (tho, i don't like it very much)

jo Dec 28, 2006 6:29 PM Re: Veganize Chicken & Dumplings?

Jo

-

Toni

FeralVeg ; VeganChat

Toni

- Mark Twain

They are not vegan over here - just veggie.

Jo

-

Toni

Friday, December 29, 2006 4:51 AM

Toni

Jo

-

Toni

FeralVeg ; VeganChat

Toni

There is something comes in a green box ... I think it's Health Valley but

can't recall. They are nuggets. At my Safeway they are in the health food

freezer, and not with the morning stars and bocas. They are pretty good.

I'm really thinking, though, that a lot of vegetarian " meats " don't do well

when soaked ... they can get a bit waterlogged. Have you thought of using

something like portobello mushrooms? They might be quite good in something

like this.

sharon

fraggle <EBbrewpunx

Fri, 29 Dec 2006 10:21:18 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

FYI

Morningstar isn't vegan

Toni

Dec 28, 2006 8:54 PM

I just sent off a message about my experiences with the dumplings. I'll be

on the lookout for the chicken substitutes. Quorn is one of those things I

can't get around here, but I think Morningstar has similar. I'll keep you

posted as I experiment and post a recipe when all is said and done.

Toni

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good

with catsup.

>fraggle <EBbrewpunx

>

>

>Re: Veganize Chicken & Dumplings?

>Fri, 29 Dec 2006 10:21:18 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>FYI

>Morningstar isn't vegan

>

>

>

>

>Toni

>

>Dec 28, 2006 8:54 PM

>

>Re: Veganize Chicken & Dumplings?

>

>

>

>

>

>

>I just sent off a message about my experiences with the dumplings. I'll be

>on the lookout for the chicken substitutes. Quorn is one of those things I

>can't get around here, but I think Morningstar has similar. I'll keep you

>posted as I experiment and post a recipe when all is said and done. 

>Toni

>Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good

>with catsup.

>

>

>

>

>Sharon Murch <grace4compassion

>

>Thursday, December 28, 2006 10:25:01 PM

>RE: Veganize Chicken & Dumplings?

>

>

>

>

>mmmmm, yes, chicken and dumplings was great!

>

>So let's see ... bisquick appears to be vegetarian. So for a vegan version,

>you could substitute water or soymilk for the milk. Actually, when I make

>mashed potatoes, I use " no-chicken broth " that I get from Whole Foods

>Market

>instead of the milk. It is very good.

>

>For the chicken, there are vegan " chicken " substitutes. You could roast a

>tofurkey and use leftovers to make this. Quorn is good, but not vegan.

>There are a number of nuggets, etc., that are vegan but you have to read

>the

>ingredients cause lots of them aren't.

>

>Instead of the cream soup ... perhaps you could use something like the

> " no-chicken broth " and thicken it with cornstarch?? ? Or there are various

>vegan gravy packets you can buy that could be used.

>

>Or you could just make a vegetable soup and put the dumplings on top.

>

>If you try any of these things, please let me know how they work out!

>

>good luck,

>sharon

>

> >Toni <peculiardragon@ >

> >@gro ups.com

> >FeralVeg <>, VeganChat

> ><@gro ups.com>

> > Veganize Chicken & Dumplings?

> >Thu, 28 Dec 2006 17:33:36 -0800 (PST)

> >

> >One of my favorite " comfort food " recipes as an omni was Chicken and

> >Dumplings. It was basically chicken breasts baked in Cream of Chicken

> >soup... then topped with Bisquick dumplings at the end. My family misses

> >it, but I'm not sure how to create a vegan version. Does anyone have any

> >tips on veganizing this recipe?

> >

> >Toni

> >Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste

>good

> >with catsup.

> >

> >___________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ___

> >

> >

> >http://mail.

>

>____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _

>Get FREE Web site and company branded e-mail from Microsoft Office Live

>http://clk.atdmt. com/MRT/go/ mcrssaub00500014 11mrt/direct/ 01/

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for

>sure that just ain't so.

>- Mark Twain

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

From photos to predictions, The MSN Entertainment Guide to Golden Globes has

it all. http://tv.msn.com/tv/globes2007/

Hey Toni! Looking forward to seeing what you concoct for chicken & dumplings. Have you ever tried cherry dumplings? My mom used to make that for my family when we were kids, and we loved it. If you or anyone else is interested, I can ask my mom if she still has the recipe. It's easy--especially if you already know how to make dumplings--so she can probably just tell me over the phone.

Carolyn

You've peaked my curiosity. I'dlove to see the recipe... it sounds delicious.

Toni

Carolyn H <wordwerks Sent: Saturday, December 30, 2006 11:16:36 AMRe: Veganize Chicken & Dumplings?

Hey Toni! Looking forward to seeing what you concoct for chicken & dumplings. Have you ever tried cherry dumplings? My mom used to make that for my family when we were kids, and we loved it. If you or anyone else is interested, I can ask my mom if she still has the recipe. It's easy--especially if you already know how to make dumplings--so she can probably just tell me over the phone.

Carolyn