IndiaDivine.org

Treatment keeps girl child-sized

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Is this playing God, or doing the right thing?poor kid......... Treatment keeps girl child-sized Ashley's parents refer to their daughter as "Pillow Angel"Parents of a severely disabled girl in the US have revealed that they are keeping her child-sized in order to give her a better life. The nine-year-old, named Ashley, has the mental ability of a three-month-old baby and

cannot walk or talk. Along with hormone doses to limit her growth, Ashley's parents also opted for surgery to block breast growth and had her uterus and appendix removed. They say the treatment will help to improve her quality of life. Ashley's parents, Seattle residents who have not given their names, went public over their daughter's treatment in a blog launched on 1 January. Their decision came after information about Ashley's case was published in a US medical journal last year, triggering considerable debate and criticism. Faced with Ashley's medical reality,

as her deeply loving parents, we worked with her doctors to do all we could to provide Ashley with the best possible quality of life Ashley's parents 'Frozen girl' medical debate Ashley's parents say that because she will remain the weight of a child, it will be easier for them to move her around, bathe her and involve her in family activities - movement that will benefit her physical and mental well-being. Dr Douglas Diekema from the

University of Washington in Seattle, who was on the ethics committee that gave the go-ahead for Ashley's treatment, told the BBC that the panel agreed "because the parents convinced us it was in fact in this little girl's best interests". "If she were smaller it would be much easier for them to continue to provide a much more personal level of care," he said. But Agnes Fletcher of the UK's Disability Rights Commission said is was "unnecessary medical treatment to deal with what is essentially a social problem", referring to "the poverty and lack of support" faced by families with disabled children. 'Improve her life' Ashley's parents wrote in their blog: "A fundamental and universal misconception about the treatment is that it is intended to convenience the caregiver. The oestrogen treatment is not what is grotesque here. Rather, it is the prospect of having a full-grown and fertile woman endowed with the mind of a baby Ashley's parents"Rather, the central purpose of the treatment is to improve Ashley's quality of life." Ashley has static encephalopathy, a rare brain condition which will not improve. Her parents call her "Pillow Angel", because she does not move from wherever they put her, usually on a pillow. The couple decided three years ago to take steps to minimise their

daughter's adult height and weight. In July 2004 Ashley began hormone treatment, through patches on the skin, that is expected to reduce her untreated height by 20% and weight by 40%. Abuse fears Ashley's parents said the decision to remove their daughter's uterus and breast buds was for the girl's comfort and safety. "Ashley has no need for her uterus since she will not be bearing children," they said, adding that the decision means she will not experience the menstrual cycle and the bleeding and discomfort commonly associated with it. HAVE YOUR SAY

They have my every good wish. I'm sure she's in safe hands. SD, UK Send us your comments The operation also removed the possibility of pregnancy if Ashley were ever the victim of sexual abuse, they said. The removal of the girl's breast buds was also done in part to avoid sexual abuse, but was carried out primarily so she would not experience discomfort when lying down, the

parents said. The couple emphasised their love for their daughter and said the amount of criticism their choice of treatment attracted had surprised them. "If the concern has something to do with the girl's dignity being violated, then I have to protest by arguing that the girl lacks the cognitive capacity to experience any sense of indignity," they said. "The oestrogen treatment is not what is grotesque here. Rather, it is the prospect of having a full-grown and fertile woman endowed with the mind of a baby." Peter H

Inbox full of spam? Get leading spam protection and 1GB storage with All New Mail.

Call me cynical, but it seems pretty obvious that the parents did all this for their own comfort. I am sure it is much easier psychologically to care for a child than a disabled adult. Obviously the menstrual cycles would have created an uncomfortable situation for them. And the breasts causing discomfort when she lies down? Does mom not have them? Poppycock. It is true that it is also likely that the rest of the world would look more kindly on a disabled child than an adult.

peace,

sharon

On 1/4/07, peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

Is this playing God, or doing the right thing?poor kid.........

Ashley's parents refer to their daughter as " Pillow Angel " Parents of a severely disabled girl in the US have revealed that they are keeping her child-sized in order to give her a better life.

The nine-year-old, named Ashley, has the mental ability of a three-month-old baby and cannot walk or talk. Along with hormone doses to limit her growth, Ashley's parents also opted for surgery to block breast growth and had her uterus and appendix removed. They say the treatment will help to improve her quality of life. Ashley's parents, Seattle residents who have not given their names, went public over their daughter's treatment in a blog launched on 1 January. Their decision came after information about Ashley's case was published in a US medical journal last year, triggering considerable debate and criticism.

Faced with Ashley's medical reality, as her deeply loving parents, we worked with her doctors to do all we could to provide Ashley with the best possible quality of life

Ashley's parents

'Frozen girl' medical debate

Ashley's parents say that because she will remain the weight of a child, it will be easier for them to move her around, bathe her and involve her in family activities - movement that will benefit her physical and mental well-being. Dr Douglas Diekema from the University of Washington in Seattle, who was on the ethics committee that gave the go-ahead for Ashley's treatment, told the BBC that the panel agreed " because the parents convinced us it was in fact in this little girl's best interests " . " If she were smaller it would be much easier for them to continue to provide a much more personal level of care, " he said. But Agnes Fletcher of the UK's Disability Rights Commission said is was " unnecessary medical treatment to deal with what is essentially a social problem " , referring to " the poverty and lack of support " faced by families with disabled children. 'Improve her life' Ashley's parents wrote in their blog: " A fundamental and universal misconception about the treatment is that it is intended to convenience the caregiver.

The oestrogen treatment is not what is grotesque here. Rather, it is the prospect of having a full-grown and fertile woman endowed with the mind of a baby

Ashley's parents " Rather, the central purpose of the treatment is to improve Ashley's quality of life. " Ashley has static encephalopathy, a rare brain condition which will not improve. Her parents call her " Pillow Angel " , because she does not move from wherever they put her, usually on a pillow. The couple decided three years ago to take steps to minimise their daughter's adult height and weight. In July 2004 Ashley began hormone treatment, through patches on the skin, that is expected to reduce her untreated height by 20% and weight by 40%. Abuse fears Ashley's parents said the decision to remove their daughter's uterus and breast buds was for the girl's comfort and safety. " Ashley has no need for her uterus since she will not be bearing children, " they said, adding that the decision means she will not experience the menstrual cycle and the bleeding and discomfort commonly associated with it.

HAVE YOUR SAY

They have my every good wish. I'm sure she's in safe hands.

SD, UK

Send us your comments

The operation also removed the possibility of pregnancy if Ashley were ever the victim of sexual abuse, they said. The removal of the girl's breast buds was also done in part to avoid sexual abuse, but was carried out primarily so she would not experience discomfort when lying down, the parents said. The couple emphasised their love for their daughter and said the amount of criticism their choice of treatment attracted had surprised them. " If the concern has something to do with the girl's dignity being violated, then I have to protest by arguing that the girl lacks the cognitive capacity to experience any sense of indignity, " they said. " The oestrogen treatment is not what is grotesque here. Rather, it is the prospect of having a full-grown and fertile woman endowed with the mind of a baby. "

Peter H

Inbox full of spam? Get leading spam protection and 1GB storage with All New Mail.

I have to agree with you on this, Sharon. It does seem to have been done more for the comfort of the parents than for Ashley. To me, it feels as if they are trying to justify their actions. I don't think it's very ethical to make such drastic changes to natural growth. It may do her more harm than good.

Toni

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Sharon Murch <sharon.nemu Sent: Thursday, January 4, 2007 11:44:59 AMRe: Treatment keeps girl child-sized

Call me cynical, but it seems pretty obvious that the parents did all this for their own comfort. I am sure it is much easier psychologically to care for a child than a disabled adult. Obviously the menstrual cycles would have created an uncomfortable situation for them. And the breasts causing discomfort when she lies down? Does mom not have them? Poppycock. It is true that it is also likely that the rest of the world would look more kindly on a disabled child than an adult.

peace,

sharon

I don't like it.

Jo

-

peter VV

Thursday, January 04, 2007 4:11 PM

Re: Treatment keeps girl child-sized

Ashley's parents refer to their daughter as "Pillow Angel"Parents of a severely disabled girl in the US have revealed that they are keeping her child-sized in order to give her a better life.

The nine-year-old, named Ashley, has the mental ability of a three-month-old baby and cannot walk or talk. Along with hormone doses to limit her growth, Ashley's parents also opted for surgery to block breast growth and had her uterus and appendix removed. They say the treatment will help to improve her quality of life.

Ashley's parents, Seattle residents who have not given their names, went public over their daughter's treatment in a blog launched on 1 January. Their decision came after information about Ashley's case was published in a US medical journal last year, triggering considerable debate and criticism.

Faced with Ashley's medical reality, as her deeply loving parents, we worked with her doctors to do all we could to provide Ashley with the best possible quality of life

Ashley's parents

Ashley's parents say that because she will remain the weight of a child, it will be easier for them to move her around, bathe her and involve her in family activities - movement that will benefit her physical and mental well-being. Dr Douglas Diekema from the University of Washington in Seattle, who was on the ethics committee that gave the go-ahead for Ashley's treatment, told the BBC that the panel agreed "because the parents convinced us it was in fact in this little girl's best interests". "If she were smaller it would be much easier for them to continue to provide a much more personal level of care," he said. But Agnes Fletcher of the UK's Disability Rights Commission said is was "unnecessary medical treatment to deal with what is essentially a social problem", referring to "the poverty and lack of support" faced by families with disabled children. 'Improve her life' Ashley's parents wrote in their blog: "A fundamental and universal misconception about the treatment is that it is intended to convenience the caregiver.

The oestrogen treatment is not what is grotesque here. Rather, it is the prospect of having a full-grown and fertile woman endowed with the mind of a baby

Ashley's parents"Rather, the central purpose of the treatment is to improve Ashley's quality of life." Ashley has static encephalopathy, a rare brain condition which will not improve. Her parents call her "Pillow Angel", because she does not move from wherever they put her, usually on a pillow. The couple decided three years ago to take steps to minimise their daughter's adult height and weight. In July 2004 Ashley began hormone treatment, through patches on the skin, that is expected to reduce her untreated height by 20% and weight by 40%. Abuse fears Ashley's parents said the decision to remove their daughter's uterus and breast buds was for the girl's comfort and safety. "Ashley has no need for her uterus since she will not be bearing children," they said, adding that the decision means she will not experience the menstrual cycle and the bleeding and discomfort commonly associated with it.

HAVE YOUR SAY

SD, UK

Send us your comments

The operation also removed the possibility of pregnancy if Ashley were ever the victim of sexual abuse, they said. The removal of the girl's breast buds was also done in part to avoid sexual abuse, but was carried out primarily so she would not experience discomfort when lying down, the parents said. The couple emphasised their love for their daughter and said the amount of criticism their choice of treatment attracted had surprised them. "If the concern has something to do with the girl's dignity being violated, then I have to protest by arguing that the girl lacks the cognitive capacity to experience any sense of indignity," they said. "The oestrogen treatment is not what is grotesque here. Rather, it is the prospect of having a full-grown and fertile woman endowed with the mind of a baby."

Peter H

Not to mention the fact that a hysterectomy is a major surgical procedure to put on a child, and the surgical removal of breast buds? Funny, but I just saw her on one of the news channels. I think it's rather odd also that the parents have chosen to go so public about this.

peace,

sharon

On 1/4/07, Toni <peculiardragon wrote:

I have to agree with you on this, Sharon. It does seem to have been done more for the comfort of the parents than for Ashley. To me, it feels as if they are trying to justify their actions. I don't think it's very ethical to make such drastic changes to natural growth. It may do her more harm than good.

Toni

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Sharon Murch <sharon.nemu@

gmail.com> Sent: Thursday, January 4, 2007 11:44:59 AMRe: Treatment keeps girl child-sized

peace,

sharon

I agree with all you say Sharon - it is for the parents convenience only.

Jo

-

Sharon Murch

Thursday, January 04, 2007 5:44 PM

peace,

sharon

Ashley's parents refer to their daughter as "Pillow Angel"Parents of a severely disabled girl in the US have revealed that they are keeping her child-sized in order to give her a better life.

The nine-year-old, named Ashley, has the mental ability of a three-month-old baby and cannot walk or talk. Along with hormone doses to limit her growth, Ashley's parents also opted for surgery to block breast growth and had her uterus and appendix removed. They say the treatment will help to improve her quality of life. Ashley's parents, Seattle residents who have not given their names, went public over their daughter's treatment in a blog launched on 1 January. Their decision came after information about Ashley's case was published in a US medical journal last year, triggering considerable debate and criticism.

Ashley's parents

Ashley's parents say that because she will remain the weight of a child, it will be easier for them to move her around, bathe her and involve her in family activities - movement that will benefit her physical and mental well-being. Dr Douglas Diekema from the University of Washington in Seattle, who was on the ethics committee that gave the go-ahead for Ashley's treatment, told the BBC that the panel agreed "because the parents convinced us it was in fact in this little girl's best interests". "If she were smaller it would be much easier for them to continue to provide a much more personal level of care," he said. But Agnes Fletcher of the UK's Disability Rights Commission said is was "unnecessary medical treatment to deal with what is essentially a social problem", referring to "the poverty and lack of support" faced by families with disabled children. 'Improve her life' Ashley's parents wrote in their blog: "A fundamental and universal misconception about the treatment is that it is intended to convenience the caregiver.

Ashley's parents"Rather, the central purpose of the treatment is to improve Ashley's quality of life." Ashley has static encephalopathy, a rare brain condition which will not improve. Her parents call her "Pillow Angel", because she does not move from wherever they put her, usually on a pillow. The couple decided three years ago to take steps to minimise their daughter's adult height and weight. In July 2004 Ashley began hormone treatment, through patches on the skin, that is expected to reduce her untreated height by 20% and weight by 40%. Abuse fears Ashley's parents said the decision to remove their daughter's uterus and breast buds was for the girl's comfort and safety. "Ashley has no need for her uterus since she will not be bearing children," they said, adding that the decision means she will not experience the menstrual cycle and the bleeding and discomfort commonly associated with it.

HAVE YOUR SAY

SD, UK

Send us your comments

The operation also removed the possibility of pregnancy if Ashley were ever the victim of sexual abuse, they said. The removal of the girl's breast buds was also done in part to avoid sexual abuse, but was carried out primarily so she would not experience discomfort when lying down, the parents said. The couple emphasised their love for their daughter and said the amount of criticism their choice of treatment attracted had surprised them. "If the concern has something to do with the girl's dignity being violated, then I have to protest by arguing that the girl lacks the cognitive capacity to experience any sense of indignity," they said. "The oestrogen treatment is not what is grotesque here. Rather, it is the prospect of having a full-grown and fertile woman endowed with the mind of a baby."

Peter H

" The removal of the girl's breast buds was also done in part to avoid sexual abuse "

What kind of crap is that?!?!? Pervs will molest REGARDLESS! They don't care if she has boobs or not! I've heard of newborn babies in the hospital being molested! What kids of boobs did that baby have?

Ashley's parents refer to their daughter as " Pillow Angel " Parents of a severely disabled girl in the US have revealed that they are keeping her child-sized in order to give her a better life.

Ashley's parents

Ashley's parents say that because she will remain the weight of a child, it will be easier for them to move her around, bathe her and involve her in family activities - movement that will benefit her physical and mental well-being. Dr Douglas Diekema from the University of Washington in Seattle, who was on the ethics committee that gave the go-ahead for Ashley's treatment, told the BBC that the panel agreed " because the parents convinced us it was in fact in this little girl's best interests " . " If she were smaller it would be much easier for them to continue to provide a much more personal level of care, " he said. But Agnes Fletcher of the UK's Disability Rights Commission said is was " unnecessary medical treatment to deal with what is essentially a social problem " , referring to " the poverty and lack of support " faced by families with disabled children. 'Improve her life' Ashley's parents wrote in their blog: " A fundamental and universal misconception about the treatment is that it is intended to convenience the caregiver.

Ashley's parents " Rather, the central purpose of the treatment is to improve Ashley's quality of life. " Ashley has static encephalopathy, a rare brain condition which will not improve. Her parents call her " Pillow Angel " , because she does not move from wherever they put her, usually on a pillow. The couple decided three years ago to take steps to minimise their daughter's adult height and weight. In July 2004 Ashley began hormone treatment, through patches on the skin, that is expected to reduce her untreated height by 20% and weight by 40%. Abuse fears Ashley's parents said the decision to remove their daughter's uterus and breast buds was for the girl's comfort and safety. " Ashley has no need for her uterus since she will not be bearing children, " they said, adding that the decision means she will not experience the menstrual cycle and the bleeding and discomfort commonly associated with it.

HAVE YOUR SAY

SD, UK

Send us your comments

The operation also removed the possibility of pregnancy if Ashley were ever the victim of sexual abuse, they said. The removal of the girl's breast buds was also done in part to avoid sexual abuse, but was carried out primarily so she would not experience discomfort when lying down, the parents said. The couple emphasised their love for their daughter and said the amount of criticism their choice of treatment attracted had surprised them. " If the concern has something to do with the girl's dignity being violated, then I have to protest by arguing that the girl lacks the cognitive capacity to experience any sense of indignity, " they said. " The oestrogen treatment is not what is grotesque here. Rather, it is the prospect of having a full-grown and fertile woman endowed with the mind of a baby. "

Peter H

-- Gymbo in Texas :)www.myspace.com/nascartaebogymmie

FREE THE DOG, LELAND AND YOUNGBLOOD!

I am just amazed that this is allowed. The Valley Vegan...........Sharon Murch <sharon.nemu wrote: Not to mention the fact that a hysterectomy is a major surgical procedure to put on a child, and the surgical removal of breast buds? Funny, but I just saw her on one of the news channels. I think it's rather odd also that the parents have chosen to go so public about this. peace, sharon On 1/4/07, Toni <peculiardragon > wrote: I have to agree with you on this, Sharon. It does seem to have been done more for the comfort of the parents than for Ashley. To me, it feels as if they are trying to justify their actions. I don't think it's very ethical to make such drastic changes to natural growth. It may do her more harm than good. Toni Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy

and taste good with catsup. Sharon Murch <sharon.nemu@ gmail.com> Sent: Thursday, January 4, 2007 11:44:59 AMRe: Treatment keeps girl child-sized Call me cynical, but it seems pretty obvious that the parents did all this for their own comfort. I am sure it is much easier psychologically to care for a child than a disabled adult. Obviously the menstrual cycles would have created an uncomfortable situation for them. And the breasts causing discomfort when she lies down? Does mom not have them?

Poppycock. It is true that it is also likely that the rest of the world would look more kindly on a disabled child than an adult. peace, sharon . Peter H

The all-new Mail goes wherever you go - free your email address from your Internet provider.

Further quotes from the web site of the bbc news: "The central purpose of the treatment is to improve Ashley's quality of life" Ashley's parents "It was in this little girl's best interests" Ashley's doctors "This is a technological solution to a social problem" US medical ethicist Dr Jeffrey Brosco "The real scandal is that developed countries like Britain and the US are failing to provide adequate support services" Agnes Fletcher of the Disability Rights Commission "There were some reasons in favour" UK medical ethicist Professor Raanan Gillon "There is no doubt that people who have got severe mental handicap find it difficult to cope with menstruation" UK GP Dr Rosemary Leonard "I find this offensive if perverse" Anonymous opponents comments posted on internet chatrooms peter VV <swpgh01 wrote: I am just amazed that this is allowed. The Valley Vegan...........Sharon Murch <sharon.nemu > wrote: Not to mention the fact that a hysterectomy is a major surgical procedure to put on a child, and the surgical removal of breast buds? Funny, but I just saw her on one of the news channels. I think it's rather odd also that the parents have chosen to go so public about this. peace, sharon On 1/4/07, Toni <peculiardragon > wrote: I have to agree with you on this, Sharon. It does seem to have been done more for the comfort of the parents than for

Ashley. To me, it feels as if they are trying to justify their actions. I don't think it's very ethical to make such drastic changes to natural growth. It may do her more harm than good. Toni Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with catsup. Sharon Murch <sharon.nemu@ gmail.com> Sent: Thursday, January 4, 2007 11:44:59 AMRe: Treatment keeps

girl child-sized Call me cynical, but it seems pretty obvious that the parents did all this for their own comfort. I am sure it is much easier psychologically to care for a child than a disabled adult. Obviously the menstrual cycles would have created an uncomfortable situation for them. And the breasts causing discomfort when she lies down? Does mom not have them? Poppycock. It is true that it is also likely that the rest of the world would look more kindly on a disabled child than an adult. peace, sharon . Peter H The all-new Mail goes wherever you go - free your email address from your Internet provider. Peter H

All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine

Hi Sharon,

This is such a very sad and tragic situation. Personally, I cannot judge this child's parents. If I was in this situation as a parent I honestly couldn't say how I would react and what I would do.

The parents of this child have chosen to look after their daughter - other people in this situation may have had their child taken into care because for them they may not have been able to cope.

I am not saying that Ashley's parents are 'right' or 'wrong' - life throws us many different and sometimes very awkward situations that we may have to make a decision on, as these parents have had to do with their daughter.

With regard to help on a daily basis with Ashley - did these parents get this help from nurses who could come in and care for her so that Ashley's parents could have a break for themselves during the day?

My thoughts for the future would be what happens to Ashley when her parents are no longer around to look after her? I am sure that Ashley's parents have thought about this many times.

Teresa

-

Sharon Murch

peace,

sharon

On 1/4/07, peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com> wrote:

Ashley's parents

HAVE YOUR SAY

SD, UK

Send us your comments

Peter H

I do agree that it is a tragic situation. But I think that the point was that they were saying that they were doing all this for Ashley's benefit, when in fact I don't believe that is true. Who has a six-year old child undergo a hysterectomy that is not medically necessary for the child's own benefit? And surgically removing breast buds? Again, this is of no benefit to Ashley. It is, I'm sure, of immense benefit to the parents both psychologically and physically. The question is not even whether that justifies the steps they have take or not, given the heavy load they have to bear. The question is whether or not their motives were what they said they were.

I've seen them on the news and they are a fairly large family. Hopefully, everyone chips in, and if Ashley outlives her parents, her siblings will help to care for her. And regardless of Ashley's condition, she does have a right to a free public education. We have kids in pretty much that kind of shape in our high school. They are immobilized in wheelchairs, unable to speak or move, they have to have someone come in and do tube feedings, but they come to school for six or more hours a day ... one of them even goes to choir every morning.

blessings,

sharon

On 1/5/07, Geraldine McCarthy <geraldine.mccarthy wrote:

Hi Sharon,

This is such a very sad and tragic situation. Personally, I cannot judge this child's parents. If I was in this situation as a parent I honestly couldn't say how I would react and what I would do.

The parents of this child have chosen to look after their daughter - other people in this situation may have had their child taken into care because for them they may not have been able to cope.

I am not saying that Ashley's parents are 'right' or 'wrong' - life throws us many different and sometimes very awkward situations that we may have to make a decision on, as these parents have had to do with their daughter.

With regard to help on a daily basis with Ashley - did these parents get this help from nurses who could come in and care for her so that Ashley's parents could have a break for themselves during the day?

My thoughts for the future would be what happens to Ashley when her parents are no longer around to look after her? I am sure that Ashley's parents have thought about this many times.

Teresa

-

Sharon Murch

peace,

sharon

Ashley's parents

HAVE YOUR SAY

SD, UK

Send us your comments

Peter H

Hi Sharon,

As you speak from personal experience of children in your high school who unfortunately are immobilized in wheelchairs, on reading your post it cheers my heart that these children are obviously with people who care.

With regard to Ashley's care when her parents unfortunately are no longer around I am still thoughtful on that. I would like to think that if Ashley outlives her parents that her siblings would then help. Unfortunately this may not always be the case with every family.

A particular family where there was a very disabled child that my husband and myself knew some years ago were in a situation where the parents died. The child was now a fully grown women the siblings (of which there were three) who had previously said they would look after her had all changed their minds because of their own personal circumstances - married with their own children and so on. The promises made earlier to look after their sister didn't take place.

I hope for Ashley's sake that her care and wellbeing if her parents should die before her is in some way secure.

Teresa

-

Sharon Murch

Friday, January 05, 2007 4:00 PM

I do agree that it is a tragic situation. But I think that the point was that they were saying that they were doing all this for Ashley's benefit, when in fact I don't believe that is true. Who has a six-year old child undergo a hysterectomy that is not medically necessary for the child's own benefit? And surgically removing breast buds? Again, this is of no benefit to Ashley. It is, I'm sure, of immense benefit to the parents both psychologically and physically. The question is not even whether that justifies the steps they have take or not, given the heavy load they have to bear. The question is whether or not their motives were what they said they were.

I've seen them on the news and they are a fairly large family. Hopefully, everyone chips in, and if Ashley outlives her parents, her siblings will help to care for her. And regardless of Ashley's condition, she does have a right to a free public education. We have kids in pretty much that kind of shape in our high school. They are immobilized in wheelchairs, unable to speak or move, they have to have someone come in and do tube feedings, but they come to school for six or more hours a day ... one of them even goes to choir every morning.

blessings,

sharon

On 1/5/07, Geraldine McCarthy <geraldine.mccarthy (AT) tesco (DOT) net> wrote:

Hi Sharon,

Teresa

-

Sharon Murch

peace,

sharon

On 1/4/07, peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com> wrote:

Ashley's parents

HAVE YOUR SAY

SD, UK

Send us your comments

Peter H

Yes, Teresa, this would certainly be a concern if I was a parent of a child like this. Goodness, I have a child who is just prone to depression with bipolar illness in her family, and I worry about what would happen to her! Then again, there is a man who lives across the street from me, with his elderly mother. He had a stroke in his late forties and will never be able to take care of himself again. What of him? And the elderly, for that matter. The question of who will care for those who cannot care for themselves is a huge question, and not one to take lightly. My mother stayed in a convalescent hospital for awhile after one of her hospitalizations. There were elderly people who lived there, as many as four to a room, in basically a hospital setting, and it was very sad.

That question is quite a different one from whether or not it is justified to surgically and medically alter a disabled person to make it easier either psychologically or physically to take care of them. And even then, it was the dishonesty that I was really addressing.

blessings,

sharon

On 1/6/07, Geraldine McCarthy <geraldine.mccarthy wrote:

Hi Sharon,

As you speak from personal experience of children in your high school who unfortunately are immobilized in wheelchairs, on reading your post it cheers my heart that these children are obviously with people who care.

With regard to Ashley's care when her parents unfortunately are no longer around I am still thoughtful on that. I would like to think that if Ashley outlives her parents that her siblings would then help. Unfortunately this may not always be the case with every family.

A particular family where there was a very disabled child that my husband and myself knew some years ago were in a situation where the parents died. The child

was now a fully grown women the siblings (of which there were three) who had previously said they would look after her had all changed their minds because of their own personal circumstances - married with their own children and so on. The promises made earlier to look after their sister didn't take place.

I hope for Ashley's sake that her care and wellbeing if her parents should die before her is in some way secure.

Teresa

-

Sharon Murch

Friday, January 05, 2007 4:00 PM

blessings,

sharon

On 1/5/07, Geraldine McCarthy <geraldine.mccarthy

> wrote:

Hi Sharon,

Teresa

-

Sharon Murch

peace,

sharon

Ashley's parents

HAVE YOUR SAY

SD, UK

Send us your comments

Peter H