IndiaDivine.org

A question / debate please?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Is it better to buy local/ from the same country as you live in and reduce carbon miles, or buy fairtrade, which usually means a large carbon footprint? Is it also better to buy produce from abroad or grown in this country, when the produce grown in this country is grown out of season in heated greenhouses using the same amount or more energy , than foriegn produce? C,mon its kinda quiet on here? The Valley Vegan..............Peter H

All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine

Hi Peter

I reckon it would be best to buy a large proportion of your fruit and veggies from local sources, but make sure you buy things that are naturally in season. From a health point of view, which I don't thinkshouldbe ignored, it is a good idea to buy some fruit and veggie from abroad so that you get the nutrients that are missing in your local food.

Jo

-

peter VV

Sunday, January 21, 2007 6:36 PM

Re: A question / debate please?

Is it better to buy local/ from the same country as you live in and reduce carbon miles, or buy fairtrade, which usually means a large carbon footprint?

Is it also better to buy produce from abroad or grown in this country, when the produce grown in this country is grown out of season in heated greenhouses using the same amount or more energy , than foriegn produce?

C,mon its kinda quiet on here?

The Valley Vegan..............

Peter H

All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine

But what about the question of Fairtrade products? do you support poor countries and their co-operatives, or buy mass produced from this country to save carbon miles? The Valley Vegan............jo <jo.heartwork wrote: Hi Peter I reckon it would be best to buy a large proportion of your fruit and veggies from local sources, but make sure you buy things

that are naturally in season. From a health point of view, which I don't thinkshouldbe ignored, it is a good idea to buy some fruit and veggie from abroad so that you get the nutrients that are missing in your local food. Jo - peter VV Sunday, January 21, 2007 6:36 PM Re: A question / debate please? Is it better

to buy local/ from the same country as you live in and reduce carbon miles, or buy fairtrade, which usually means a large carbon footprint? Is it also better to buy produce from abroad or grown in this country, when the produce grown in this country is grown out of season in heated greenhouses using the same amount or more energy , than foriegn produce? C,mon its kinda quiet on here? The Valley Vegan.............. Peter H All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease

of use." - PC Magazine Peter H

Try the all-new Mail . "The New Version is radically easier to use" – The Wall Street Journal

I try to buy Fairtrade goods whenever possible

-

peter VV

Sunday, January 21, 2007 7:44 PM

But what about the question of Fairtrade products? do you support poor countries and their co-operatives, or buy mass produced from this country to save carbon miles?

The Valley Vegan............jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

Hi Peter

I reckon it would be best to buy a large proportion of your fruit and veggies from local sources, but make sure you buy things that are naturally in season. From a health point of view, which I don't thinkshouldbe ignored, it is a good idea to buy some fruit and veggie from abroad so that you get the nutrients that are missing in your local food.

Jo

-

peter VV

Sunday, January 21, 2007 6:36 PM

Is it better to buy local/ from the same country as you live in and reduce carbon miles, or buy fairtrade, which usually means a large carbon footprint?

Is it also better to buy produce from abroad or grown in this country, when the produce grown in this country is grown out of season in heated greenhouses using the same amount or more energy , than foriegn produce?

Peter H

Peter H

Try the all-new Mail . "The New Version is radically easier to use" – The Wall Street Journal

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there..loud enough fer ya?

peter VV Jan 21, 2007 10:36 AM Re: A question / debate please?

Peter H

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed." -- Dwight Eisenhower William O. Douglas

i follow as much as possible a simple equation

a. buy organic local grown from farmers markets whenever possible

b. then local or as locally grown as possible in supermarkets (whole foods, rainbow, berkeley bowl)

c, if it can not be found locally organically grown, i then ask "can i do with out it?"

things like bananas...do i need them? why? can i do without them

each time is a different reply..

then if i decide that fer some reason i need something that can be grown locally, then i see if there's an organic/fair trade version....

small grower?

etc.

like now..i'm am absolutely craving nectarines and grapes

alas of course..there are none in season

and while they can be found, i'm not really up to buying something that had to transported all the way from chile.....

even if there are organic grapes from chile

so..i get something else...

Peter H

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed." -- Dwight Eisenhower William O. Douglas

not vegan, but...you get the idea

http://www.kitchengardeners.org/2007/01/circular_food_logic.html

Peter H

Fraggle

What do you count as local? How many miles?

Jo

-

fraggle

Sunday, January 21, 2007 9:45 PM

b. then local or as locally grown as possible in supermarkets (whole foods, rainbow, berkeley bowl)

c, if it can not be found locally organically grown, i then ask "can i do with out it?"

then if i decide that fer some reason i need something that can be grown locally, then i see if there's an organic/fair trade version....

small grower?

etc.

and while they can be found, i'm not really up to buying something that had to transported all the way from chile.....

Peter H

Hi Peter

>But what about the question of Fairtrade products? do you support poor countries and their

> co-operatives, or buy mass produced from this country to save carbon miles?

The vast majority of Fair Trade products are ones which aren't grown ethically in this country anyway.... bananas, coffee, cocoa, etc. So I'm not sure there's any real conflict between the two.

BB

Peter

i guess local is relative

living in a major metropolitan area, local farmland isn't going to mean the same thing as living in hooterville surrounded by daniels midland country...

several county radius....

from here to mendocino, south to monterey....

100 mile radius?

jo Jan 21, 2007 4:41 PM Re: A question / debate please? 

Fraggle

What do you count as local? How many miles?

Jo

-

fraggle

Sunday, January 21, 2007 9:45 PM

small grower?

etc.

Peter H

All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed." -- Dwight Eisenhower William O. Douglas

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed." -- Dwight Eisenhower

O.K. , so do you consider the carbon miles when choosing one fair trade product over another? The Valley Vegan................Peter Kebbell <metalscarab wrote: Hi Peter >But what about the question of Fairtrade products? do you support poor countries and their > co-operatives, or buy mass produced from this country to save carbon miles? The vast majority of Fair Trade

products are ones which aren't grown ethically in this country anyway.... bananas, coffee, cocoa, etc. So I'm not sure there's any real conflict between the two. BB Peter Peter H

What kind of emailer are you? Find out today - get a free analysis of your email personality. Take the quiz at the Mail Championship.

Sounds a good yardstick to follow. The Valley Vegan...........fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: i follow as much as possible a simple equation a. buy organic local grown from farmers markets whenever possible b. then local or as locally grown as possible in supermarkets (whole foods, rainbow, berkeley bowl) c, if it can not be found locally organically grown, i then ask "can i do with out it?" things like

bananas...do i need them? why? can i do without them each time is a different reply.. then if i decide that fer some reason i need something that can be grown locally, then i see if there's an organic/fair trade version.... small grower? etc. like now..i'm am absolutely craving nectarines and grapes alas of course..there are none in season and while they can be found, i'm not really up to buying something that had to transported all the way from chile..... even if there are organic grapes from chile so..i get something else... peter VV Jan 21, 2007 10:36 AM Re: A question / debate please? Is it better to buy local/ from the same country as

you live in and reduce carbon miles, or buy fairtrade, which usually means a large carbon footprint? Is it also better to buy produce from abroad or grown in this country, when the produce grown in this country is grown out of season in heated greenhouses using the same amount or more energy , than foriegn produce? C,mon its kinda quiet on here? The Valley Vegan.............. Peter H All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed." -- Dwight Eisenhower William O. Douglas Peter H

The all-new Mail goes wherever you go - free your email address from your Internet provider.

maybe it's selfish of me,

but I am buying organic

even if it is from far away

because pesticides cause parkinson's disease

the FDA allows some 16 poisons on our fruits and vegs

in my town, there is strong Amish population

they have fruit stands, but

I have no idea if they use pesticides or not.

my husband told me

" the Amish are not organic they're old-fashioned, don't confuse the two "

, " jo " <jo.heartwork wrote:

>

> Hi Peter

>

> I reckon it would be best to buy a large proportion of your fruit

and veggies from local sources, but make sure you buy things that are

naturally in season. From a health point of view, which I don't

thinkshouldbe ignored, it is a good idea to buy some fruit and veggie

from abroad so that you get the nutrients that are missing in your

local food.

>

Hi Anouk

This is one of the problems here too. The local farmers markets etc have

plenty of fruit and veg but none of them are organic - and I think it is

very important to avoid all the poisons.

Another question for Valley Vegan maybe - should we buy local foods laced

with poisons (which are not good for the environment and local animal

populations) or should we encourage organic farming from wherever?

Jo

-

" flower child " <zurumato

Wednesday, January 24, 2007 5:05 AM

> maybe it's selfish of me,

> but I am buying organic

> even if it is from far away

> because pesticides cause parkinson's disease

> the FDA allows some 16 poisons on our fruits and vegs

>

> in my town, there is strong Amish population

> they have fruit stands, but

> I have no idea if they use pesticides or not.

>

> my husband told me

> " the Amish are not organic they're old-fashioned, don't confuse the two "

>

>

>

> , " jo " <jo.heartwork wrote:

> >

> > Hi Peter

> >

> > I reckon it would be best to buy a large proportion of your fruit

> and veggies from local sources, but make sure you buy things that are

> naturally in season. From a health point of view, which I don't

> thinkshouldbe ignored, it is a good idea to buy some fruit and veggie

> from abroad so that you get the nutrients that are missing in your

> local food.

> >

>

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

Hi Peter

>O.K. , so do you consider the carbon miles when choosing one fair trade product over

> another?

If we had a good enough variety of ethical Fair Trade products, then I would - but there's not a great deal of choice.

BB

Peter

for some reason, some Amsih and Menonites use pesticides and chemical

fertilizers...

having a horse drawn chemical wagon seems odd to me...

i would have thought being Amish they couldn't use em (funny, don't recall DDT

being in the Bible)..but, what do i know

but...yes...some Amish use pesticides

>flower child <zurumato

>Jan 24, 2007 12:05 AM

>

> Re: A question / debate please?

>

>maybe it's selfish of me,

>but I am buying organic

>even if it is from far away

>because pesticides cause parkinson's disease

>the FDA allows some 16 poisons on our fruits and vegs

>

>in my town, there is strong Amish population

>they have fruit stands, but

>I have no idea if they use pesticides or not.

>

>my husband told me

> " the Amish are not organic they're old-fashioned, don't confuse the two "

>

>

>

> , " jo " <jo.heartwork wrote:

>>

>> Hi Peter

>>

>> I reckon it would be best to buy a large proportion of your fruit

>and veggies from local sources, but make sure you buy things that are

>naturally in season. From a health point of view, which I don't

>thinkshouldbe ignored, it is a good idea to buy some fruit and veggie

>from abroad so that you get the nutrients that are missing in your

>local food.

>>

>

>

>

>

>To send an email to -

>

I was more specifically thinking of coffee and bananas. I think I need to brush up on my geography....... The Valley Vegan.................Peter Kebbell <metalscarab wrote: Hi Peter >O.K. , so do you consider the carbon miles when choosing one fair trade product over > another? If we had a good enough variety of ethical Fair Trade products, then I would - but there's not a

great deal of choice. BB Peter Peter H

New Mail is the ultimate force in competitive emailing. Find out more at the Mail Championships. Plus: play games and win prizes.

I would say yes to the question of encouraging more organic produce, then hopefully there will be local grown eventually. The Valley Vegan..............jo <jo.heartwork wrote: Hi AnoukThis is one of the problems here too. The local farmers markets etc haveplenty of fruit and veg but none of them are organic - and I think it isvery important to avoid all the poisons.Another question for Valley Vegan maybe - should we buy local foods lacedwith

poisons (which are not good for the environment and local animalpopulations) or should we encourage organic farming from wherever?Jo-"flower child" <zurumato (AT) earthlink (DOT) net>Wednesday, January 24, 2007 5:05 AM Re: A question / debate please?> maybe it's selfish of me,> but I am buying organic> even if it is from far away> because pesticides cause parkinson's disease> the FDA allows some 16 poisons on our fruits and vegs>> in my town, there is strong Amish population> they have fruit stands, but> I have no idea if they use pesticides or not.>> my husband told me> "the Amish are not organic they're old-fashioned, don't confuse the

two">>>> , "jo" <jo.heartwork wrote:> >> > Hi Peter> >> > I reckon it would be best to buy a large proportion of your fruit> and veggies from local sources, but make sure you buy things that are> naturally in season. From a health point of view, which I don't> thinkshouldbe ignored, it is a good idea to buy some fruit and veggie> from abroad so that you get the nutrients that are missing in your> local food.> >>>>>> To send an email to - >