IndiaDivine.org

Ahimsa offers raw vegan gourmet

Rate this topic

Guest guest

from Yale Daily news? Ahimsa offers raw vegan gourmet Eva Podaras Staff Reporter Esther Quintana/Senior Photographer Ahimsa, a new vegetarian restaurant that specializes in raw food that will open next week, increases New Haven’s variety of establishments geared toward the health-conscious. Raw food may not sound appealing, but for the owners of Ahimsa — a new restaurant on Chapel Street that is set to open next week — it is the cutting edge in the fast-growing market of vegetarian and vegan gourmet food. The new restaurant — whose name means universal love in Sanskrit — will open next week and will feature a fully organic vegan menu, adding to the already growing number of restaurants serving vegetarian and vegan dishes in New Haven. Ahimsa, which boasts a completey organic — and mostly raw — menu, is the reincarnation of Imagin

Café, a juice bar inside The Imagin Studio photo shop on Chapel Street. Ahimsa will have an organic wine and juice bar and will serve its dishes on biodegradable kitchenware. Nirav Shah, owner of Ahimsa, said that the menu concept was “health-conscious, compassionate food [and] environmentally friendly.” “We want [our customers] to feel that when they’re eating this food, they’re doing an ethical thing and environmentally good thing,” Shah said. “The whole environment is uplifting, and we will offer a complete meal with emphasis on taste.” The menu will include cheese and eggplant manicotti stuffed with nuts, lentil burgers and soy burgers, black bean wraps, and portobello wraps. Organic wine, smoothies and juices will also be offered. Imani Zito, owner of the Alchemy Juice Bar Cafe in Hartford — a restaurant which also specializes in raw food — said

eating raw food is becoming popular because a raw-food diet can reduce the effects of diseases like diabetes. “[Raw food] is healthier for the planet and for people,” she said. “It is giving people more focus and energy, going to the pure source of the food in its original form. If you put that into your body, you will benefit from it.” Neal Parikh ’09, who is vegan, said he believes vegetarian and organic foods are gaining popularity, and he especially enjoys the availability of vegetarian options in New Haven. “Just from talking to the owners of Ahimsa, I know that people come from hours away to eat here,” he said. “They are focused on keeping their food sustainable and healthy so anyone who wants to eat [organic and healthy] food will eat there.” Most vegetarian students said the prospect of more vegan restaurants in the city is exciting, though they

would not go out of their way to eat only sustainable or raw food. Adrian Latortue ’10, who is a vegetarian and lives in Bridgeport, said he had always come to New Haven for the variety of vegetarian restaurants and organic food stores, but not specifically for raw food. “I’m not a vegetarian for ethical reasons,” he said. “I was raised one and I’ll eat anything vegetarian, but I won’t go out of my way to get raw food.” Parikh also isn’t a big proponent of raw food. “It’s not as filling as regular vegetarian food,” he said. “On a student budget, it takes too much time and money.” Ahimsa will also provide free space as a meeting place for local community organizations and will display student artwork on its walls, Shah said.Peter H

What kind of emailer are you? Find out today - get a free analysis of your email personality. Take the quiz at the Mail Championship.

the new haven area must have definately changed a LOT!!!!

peter VV Feb 1, 2007 3:18 PM Re: Ahimsa offers raw vegan gourmet

from Yale Daily news?

Eva Podaras

Staff Reporter

Esther Quintana/Senior Photographer

Ahimsa, a new vegetarian restaurant that specializes in raw food that will open next week, increases New HavenÂ’s variety of establishments geared toward the health-conscious.

Raw food may not sound appealing, but for the owners of Ahimsa — a new restaurant on Chapel Street that is set to open next week — it is the cutting edge in the fast-growing market of vegetarian and vegan gourmet food.

The new restaurant — whose name means universal love in Sanskrit — will open next week and will feature a fully organic vegan menu, adding to the already growing number of restaurants serving vegetarian and vegan dishes in New Haven. Ahimsa, which boasts a completey organic — and mostly raw — menu, is the reincarnation of Imagin Café, a juice bar inside The Imagin Studio photo shop on Chapel Street.

Ahimsa will have an organic wine and juice bar and will serve its dishes on biodegradable kitchenware. Nirav Shah, owner of Ahimsa, said that the menu concept was “health-conscious, compassionate food [and] environmentally friendly.”

“We want [our customers] to feel that when they’re eating this food, they’re doing an ethical thing and environmentally good thing,” Shah said. “The whole environment is uplifting, and we will offer a complete meal with emphasis on taste.”

The menu will include cheese and eggplant manicotti stuffed with nuts, lentil burgers and soy burgers, black bean wraps, and portobello wraps. Organic wine, smoothies and juices will also be offered.

Imani Zito, owner of the Alchemy Juice Bar Cafe in Hartford — a restaurant which also specializes in raw food — said eating raw food is becoming popular because a raw-food diet can reduce the effects of diseases like diabetes.

“[Raw food] is healthier for the planet and for people,” she said. “It is giving people more focus and energy, going to the pure source of the food in its original form. If you put that into your body, you will benefit from it.”

Neal Parikh Â’09, who is vegan, said he believes vegetarian and organic foods are gaining popularity, and he especially enjoys the availability of vegetarian options in New Haven.

“Just from talking to the owners of Ahimsa, I know that people come from hours away to eat here,” he said. “They are focused on keeping their food sustainable and healthy so anyone who wants to eat [organic and healthy] food will eat there.”

Most vegetarian students said the prospect of more vegan restaurants in the city is exciting, though they would not go out of their way to eat only sustainable or raw food.

Adrian Latortue Â’10, who is a vegetarian and lives in Bridgeport, said he had always come to New Haven for the variety of vegetarian restaurants and organic food stores, but not specifically for raw food.

“I’m not a vegetarian for ethical reasons,” he said. “I was raised one and I’ll eat anything vegetarian, but I won’t go out of my way to get raw food.”

Parikh also isnÂ’t a big proponent of raw food.

“It’s not as filling as regular vegetarian food,” he said. “On a student budget, it takes too much time and money.”

Ahimsa will also provide free space as a meeting place for local community organizations and will display student artwork on its walls, Shah said.

Peter H

What kind of emailer are you? Find out today - get a free analysis of your email personality. Take the quiz at the Mail Championship.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed." -- Dwight Eisenhower

Why so? The Valley Vegan..........fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: the new haven area must have definately changed a LOT!!!! peter VV Feb 1, 2007 3:18 PM Re: Ahimsa offers raw vegan gourmet from Yale Daily news? Ahimsa offers raw vegan gourmet

Eva Podaras Staff Reporter Esther Quintana/Senior Photographer Ahimsa, a new vegetarian restaurant that specializes in raw food that will open next week, increases New Haven’s variety of establishments geared toward the health-conscious. Raw food may not sound appealing,

but for the owners of Ahimsa — a new restaurant on Chapel Street that is set to open next week — it is the cutting edge in the fast-growing market of vegetarian and vegan gourmet food. The new restaurant — whose name means universal love in Sanskrit — will open next week and will feature a fully organic vegan menu, adding to the already growing number of restaurants serving vegetarian and vegan dishes in New Haven. Ahimsa, which boasts a completey organic — and mostly raw — menu, is the reincarnation of Imagin Café, a juice bar inside The Imagin Studio photo shop on Chapel Street. Ahimsa will have an organic wine and juice bar and will serve its dishes on biodegradable kitchenware. Nirav Shah, owner of Ahimsa, said that the menu concept was “health-conscious, compassionate food [and] environmentally friendly.” “We want [our customers] to feel that when they’re eating this food, they’re doing an ethical thing and environmentally good

thing,” Shah said. “The whole environment is uplifting, and we will offer a complete meal with emphasis on taste.” The menu will include cheese and eggplant manicotti stuffed with nuts, lentil burgers and soy burgers, black bean wraps, and portobello wraps. Organic wine, smoothies and juices will also be offered. Imani Zito, owner of the Alchemy Juice Bar Cafe in Hartford — a restaurant which also specializes in raw food — said eating raw food is becoming popular because a raw-food diet can reduce the effects of diseases like diabetes. “[Raw food] is healthier for the planet and for people,” she said. “It is giving people more focus and energy, going to the pure source of the food in its original form. If you put that into your body, you will benefit from it.” Neal Parikh ’09, who is vegan, said he believes vegetarian and organic foods are gaining popularity, and he especially enjoys the availability of vegetarian options

in New Haven. “Just from talking to the owners of Ahimsa, I know that people come from hours away to eat here,” he said. “They are focused on keeping their food sustainable and healthy so anyone who wants to eat [organic and healthy] food will eat there.” Most vegetarian students said the prospect of more vegan restaurants in the city is exciting, though they would not go out of their way to eat only sustainable or raw food. Adrian Latortue ’10, who is a vegetarian and lives in Bridgeport, said he had always come to New Haven for the variety of vegetarian restaurants and organic food stores, but not specifically for raw food. “I’m not a vegetarian for ethical reasons,” he said. “I was raised one and I’ll eat anything vegetarian, but I won’t go out of my way to get raw food.” Parikh also isn’t a big proponent of raw food. “It’s not as filling as regular vegetarian food,” he said. “On a student

budget, it takes too much time and money.” Ahimsa will also provide free space as a meeting place for local community organizations and will display student artwork on its walls, Shah said. Peter H What kind of emailer are you? Find out today - get a free analysis of your email personality. Take the quiz at the Mail Championship. "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are

cold and are not clothed." -- Dwight Eisenhower Peter H

when i lived in the New Haven area (granted, this was over 20 yrs ago), vegetarian was definately a very dirty word...

i wouldn't have called the New Haven Greater area very...trend setting...

Yale was there..and that was about it...

lots and lots of pizza!

peter VV Feb 1, 2007 3:32 PM Re: Ahimsa offers raw vegan gourmet

Why so?

The Valley Vegan..........fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

from Yale Daily news?

Eva Podaras

Staff Reporter

Ahimsa, a new vegetarian restaurant that specializes in raw food that will open next week, increases New HavenÂ’s variety of establishments geared toward the health-conscious.

Raw food may not sound appealing, but for the owners of Ahimsa — a new restaurant on Chapel Street that is set to open next week — it is the cutting edge in the fast-growing market of vegetarian and vegan gourmet food.

The new restaurant — whose name means universal love in Sanskrit — will open next week and will feature a fully organic vegan menu, adding to the already growing number of restaurants serving vegetarian and vegan dishes in New Haven. Ahimsa, which boasts a completey organic — and mostly raw — menu, is the reincarnation of Imagin Café, a juice bar inside The Imagin Studio photo shop on Chapel Street.

Ahimsa will have an organic wine and juice bar and will serve its dishes on biodegradable kitchenware. Nirav Shah, owner of Ahimsa, said that the menu concept was “health-conscious, compassionate food [and] environmentally friendly.”

“We want [our customers] to feel that when they’re eating this food, they’re doing an ethical thing and environmentally good thing,” Shah said. “The whole environment is uplifting, and we will offer a complete meal with emphasis on taste.”

The menu will include cheese and eggplant manicotti stuffed with nuts, lentil burgers and soy burgers, black bean wraps, and portobello wraps. Organic wine, smoothies and juices will also be offered.

Imani Zito, owner of the Alchemy Juice Bar Cafe in Hartford — a restaurant which also specializes in raw food — said eating raw food is becoming popular because a raw-food diet can reduce the effects of diseases like diabetes.

“[Raw food] is healthier for the planet and for people,” she said. “It is giving people more focus and energy, going to the pure source of the food in its original form. If you put that into your body, you will benefit from it.”

Neal Parikh Â’09, who is vegan, said he believes vegetarian and organic foods are gaining popularity, and he especially enjoys the availability of vegetarian options in New Haven.

“Just from talking to the owners of Ahimsa, I know that people come from hours away to eat here,” he said. “They are focused on keeping their food sustainable and healthy so anyone who wants to eat [organic and healthy] food will eat there.”

Most vegetarian students said the prospect of more vegan restaurants in the city is exciting, though they would not go out of their way to eat only sustainable or raw food.

Adrian Latortue Â’10, who is a vegetarian and lives in Bridgeport, said he had always come to New Haven for the variety of vegetarian restaurants and organic food stores, but not specifically for raw food.

“I’m not a vegetarian for ethical reasons,” he said. “I was raised one and I’ll eat anything vegetarian, but I won’t go out of my way to get raw food.”

“It’s not as filling as regular vegetarian food,” he said. “On a student budget, it takes too much time and money.”

Ahimsa will also provide free space as a meeting place for local community organizations and will display student artwork on its walls, Shah said.

Peter H

What kind of emailer are you? Find out today - get a free analysis of your email personality. Take the quiz at the Mail Championship. "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are

cold and are not clothed." -- Dwight Eisenhower

Peter H

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed." -- Dwight Eisenhower

Well if ever you are passing through! No seriously, I only post these things in case anyone lives near or plans to visit to give them an idea. I hope it helps the cause, if not I wont bother. The Valle Vegan...........fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: when i lived in the New Haven area (granted, this was over 20 yrs ago), vegetarian was definately a very dirty word... i wouldn't have called the New Haven Greater area very...trend setting... Yale was there..and that was about it... lots and lots of pizza! peter VV Feb 1, 2007 3:32 PM Re: Ahimsa offers raw vegan gourmet Why so? The Valley Vegan..........fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) com> wrote: the new haven area must have definately changed a LOT!!!! peter VV Feb 1, 2007 3:18 PM Re: Ahimsa offers raw vegan gourmet

from Yale Daily news? Ahimsa offers raw vegan gourmet Eva Podaras Staff Reporter Esther Quintana/Senior Photographer Ahimsa, a new vegetarian restaurant that specializes in raw food that will open next week, increases New Haven’s variety of establishments geared toward the

health-conscious. Raw food may not sound appealing, but for the owners of Ahimsa — a new restaurant on Chapel Street that is set to open next week — it is the cutting edge in the fast-growing market of vegetarian and vegan gourmet food. The new restaurant — whose name means universal love in Sanskrit — will open next week and will feature a fully organic vegan menu, adding to the already growing number of restaurants serving vegetarian and vegan dishes in New Haven. Ahimsa, which boasts a completey organic — and mostly raw — menu, is the reincarnation of Imagin Café, a juice bar inside The Imagin Studio photo shop on Chapel Street. Ahimsa will have an organic wine and juice bar and will serve its dishes on biodegradable kitchenware. Nirav Shah, owner of Ahimsa, said that the menu concept was “health-conscious, compassionate food [and] environmentally friendly.” “We want

[our customers] to feel that when they’re eating this food, they’re doing an ethical thing and environmentally good thing,” Shah said. “The whole environment is uplifting, and we will offer a complete meal with emphasis on taste.” The menu will include cheese and eggplant manicotti stuffed with nuts, lentil burgers and soy burgers, black bean wraps, and portobello wraps. Organic wine, smoothies and juices will also be offered. Imani Zito, owner of the Alchemy Juice Bar Cafe in Hartford — a restaurant which also specializes in raw food — said eating raw food is becoming popular because a raw-food diet can reduce the effects of diseases like diabetes. “[Raw food] is healthier for the planet and for people,” she said. “It is giving people more focus and energy, going to the pure source of the food in its original form. If you put that into your body, you will benefit from it.” Neal Parikh ’09, who is vegan, said he believes

vegetarian and organic foods are gaining popularity, and he especially enjoys the availability of vegetarian options in New Haven. “Just from talking to the owners of Ahimsa, I know that people come from hours away to eat here,” he said. “They are focused on keeping their food sustainable and healthy so anyone who wants to eat [organic and healthy] food will eat there.” Most vegetarian students said the prospect of more vegan restaurants in the city is exciting, though they would not go out of their way to eat only sustainable or raw food. Adrian Latortue ’10, who is a vegetarian and lives in Bridgeport, said he had always come to New Haven for the variety of vegetarian restaurants and organic food stores, but not specifically for raw food. “I’m not a vegetarian for ethical reasons,” he said. “I was raised one and I’ll eat anything vegetarian, but I won’t go out of my way to get raw food.” Parikh also isn’t a

big proponent of raw food. “It’s not as filling as regular vegetarian food,” he said. “On a student budget, it takes too much time and money.” Ahimsa will also provide free space as a meeting place for local community organizations and will display student artwork on its walls, Shah said. Peter H What kind of emailer are you? Find out today - get a free analysis of your email personality. Take the quiz at the Mail Championship. "Every gun that is made, every warship

launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed." -- Dwight Eisenhower Peter H What kind of emailer are you? Find out today - get a free analysis of your email personality. Take the quiz at the Mail Championship. "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are

not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed." -- Dwight Eisenhower Peter H

The all-new Mail goes wherever you go - free your email address from your Internet provider.

I find em interestin

tho, i always wonder why you post random newsies from all over america...

maybe you should start making up ones for wales

:)

and..somehow i really don't think i'll be back in neck o' da woods anytime soon...

my years there didn't leave a nice taste in me mouth........

peter VV Feb 1, 2007 3:53 PM Re: Ahimsa offers raw vegan gourmet

Well if ever you are passing through!

No seriously, I only post these things in case anyone lives near or plans to visit to give them an idea. I hope it helps the cause, if not I wont bother.

The Valle Vegan...........fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

when i lived in the New Haven area (granted, this was over 20 yrs ago), vegetarian was definately a very dirty word...

i wouldn't have called the New Haven Greater area very...trend setting...

Yale was there..and that was about it...

lots and lots of pizza!

peter VV Feb 1, 2007 3:32 PM Re: Ahimsa offers raw vegan gourmet

Why so?

The Valley Vegan..........fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) com> wrote:

from Yale Daily news?

Eva Podaras

Staff Reporter

Peter H

What kind of emailer are you? Find out today - get a free analysis of your email personality. Take the quiz at the Mail Championship. "Every gun that is made, every warship

launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed." -- Dwight Eisenhower

Peter H

What kind of emailer are you? Find out today - get a free analysis of your email personality. Take the quiz at the Mail Championship. "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are

not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed." -- Dwight Eisenhower

Peter H

The all-new Mail goes wherever you go - free your email address from your Internet provider.

I post em because I think that there maybe more vegans over there? so a scattergun approach means that I must get one near someone sometime?, plus there just aint any for Wales ( vegan/vegetarian newsies that is ) The Valley Vegan.............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: I find em interestin tho, i always wonder why you post random newsies from all over america... maybe you should start making up ones for wales :) and..somehow i really don't think i'll be back in neck o' da woods anytime soon... my years there didn't leave a nice taste in me mouth........ peter VV Feb 1, 2007 3:53 PM Re: Ahimsa offers raw vegan gourmet Well if ever you are passing through! No seriously, I only post these things in case anyone lives near or plans to visit to give them an idea. I hope it helps the cause, if not I wont bother. The Valle Vegan...........fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) com> wrote: when i lived in the New Haven area

(granted, this was over 20 yrs ago), vegetarian was definately a very dirty word... i wouldn't have called the New Haven Greater area very...trend setting... Yale was there..and that was about it... lots and lots of pizza! peter VV Feb 1, 2007 3:32 PM Re: Ahimsa offers raw vegan gourmet Why so? The Valley Vegan..........fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) com> wrote: the new haven area must have definately changed a LOT!!!!

peter VV Feb 1, 2007 3:18 PM Re: Ahimsa offers raw vegan gourmet from Yale Daily news? Ahimsa offers raw vegan gourmet Eva Podaras Staff Reporter Esther Quintana/Senior Photographer Ahimsa, a new

vegetarian restaurant that specializes in raw food that will open next week, increases New Haven’s variety of establishments geared toward the health-conscious. Raw food may not sound appealing, but for the owners of Ahimsa — a new restaurant on Chapel Street that is set to open next week — it is the cutting edge in the fast-growing market of vegetarian and vegan gourmet food. The new restaurant — whose name means universal love in Sanskrit — will open next week and will feature a fully organic vegan menu, adding to the already growing number of restaurants serving vegetarian and vegan dishes in New Haven. Ahimsa, which boasts a completey organic — and mostly raw — menu, is the reincarnation of Imagin Café, a juice bar inside The Imagin Studio photo shop on Chapel Street. Ahimsa will have an organic wine and juice bar and will serve its dishes on biodegradable kitchenware. Nirav

Shah, owner of Ahimsa, said that the menu concept was “health-conscious, compassionate food [and] environmentally friendly.” “We want [our customers] to feel that when they’re eating this food, they’re doing an ethical thing and environmentally good thing,” Shah said. “The whole environment is uplifting, and we will offer a complete meal with emphasis on taste.” The menu will include cheese and eggplant manicotti stuffed with nuts, lentil burgers and soy burgers, black bean wraps, and portobello wraps. Organic wine, smoothies and juices will also be offered. Imani Zito, owner of the Alchemy Juice Bar Cafe in Hartford — a restaurant which also specializes in raw food — said eating raw food is becoming popular because a raw-food diet can reduce the effects of diseases like diabetes. “[Raw food] is healthier for the planet and for people,” she said. “It is giving people more focus and energy, going to the pure source of the

food in its original form. If you put that into your body, you will benefit from it.” Neal Parikh ’09, who is vegan, said he believes vegetarian and organic foods are gaining popularity, and he especially enjoys the availability of vegetarian options in New Haven. “Just from talking to the owners of Ahimsa, I know that people come from hours away to eat here,” he said. “They are focused on keeping their food sustainable and healthy so anyone who wants to eat [organic and healthy] food will eat there.” Most vegetarian students said the prospect of more vegan restaurants in the city is exciting, though they would not go out of their way to eat only sustainable or raw food. Adrian Latortue ’10, who is a vegetarian and lives in Bridgeport, said he had always come to New Haven for the variety of vegetarian restaurants and organic food stores, but not specifically for raw food. “I’m not a vegetarian for ethical

reasons,” he said. “I was raised one and I’ll eat anything vegetarian, but I won’t go out of my way to get raw food.” Parikh also isn’t a big proponent of raw food. “It’s not as filling as regular vegetarian food,” he said. “On a student budget, it takes too much time and money.” Ahimsa will also provide free space as a meeting place for local community organizations and will display student artwork on its walls, Shah said. Peter H What kind of emailer are you? Find out today - get a free analysis of your email personality. Take the quiz at the Mail

Championship. "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed." -- Dwight Eisenhower Peter H What kind of emailer are you? Find out today - get a free analysis of your email personality. Take the quiz at the Mail Championship. "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed." -- Dwight Eisenhower Peter H The all-new Mail goes wherever you go - free your email address from your Internet provider. "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every

rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed." -- Dwight Eisenhower Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.