IndiaDivine.org

US rejects ruling on UK soldier

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

you yanks never admit you are wrong do you? or come to that admit anything! US rejects ruling on UK soldier Four other soldiers were injured in the attack near Basra Susan Hull reaction The US State Department has rejected a coroner's conclusion that the "friendly fire" death of a British soldier in Iraq was unlawful and a criminal act. Lance Corporal of Horse Matty Hull, 25, died near Basra on 28 March 2003 when a US pilot fired on his tank convoy. US spokesman Sean McCormack said it was a "tragedy" during a time of war. The coroner was critical of US failure to send

witnesses to the inquest but the Pentagon said he had access to most information from its own inquiry. Speaking at a State Department briefing in Washington, Mr McCormack said: "Clearly we don't agree with the assessment. What we have here is a tragedy that occurred during a time of war. "We have conducted an investigation into the matter - our military has - they have come to their own conclusions. "We certainly would not agree with any conclusion that categorised this as a criminal act." Widow reacts Recording a narrative verdict, Oxford assistant deputy coroner Andrew Walker said L/Cpl Hull's death was "entirely avoidable". "It was unlawful because there was no lawful reason for it and in that respect it was criminal," he said. How pilots fired on 'friendlies' Finding solace after long wait The US pilots from the Idaho Air National Guard should have flown lower to confirm identities before opening fire, he added. "I don't think this

was a case of honest mistake." Speaking after the verdict, L/Cpl Hull's widow Susan said she was now prepared to "draw the line" on the event. "I think all of our family feel it was the right verdict. It was what we'd waited four years to hear," she said. "It's been a long and painful time and we need to move forward." But she said the lack of co-operation from the US was "very disappointing". The Ministry of Defence said it was "very sorry for confusion and upset" caused by the delay in releasing video footage taken from the cockpit of the US A-10 plan. The recording was not initially shown to the inquest, but the US authorities only agreed for it to be released after the footage was leaked to the Sun newspaper. An MoD spokesman said a team has been set up to liaise with coroners and bereaved families and to ensure documents are made available quickly to future inquests. Lawyer Geraldine McCool said the verdict did

not suggest there would be a prosecution of the US pilot and the Hull family would not be calling for one. 'Combat environment' Constitutional affairs minister Harriet Harman, who met with US diplomats in London ahead of the inquest, said she shared the "frustration" at their failure to send witnesses. The cockpit video 'Friendly fire' transcript "I explained that this was not a criminal court, nobody could be found guilty and sent to prison, it is simply asking questions and requiring answers," she said. In a statement the US defence department described the incident as a "tragic accident". The

Hull family believes key information was blacked out of a US Friendly Fire Investigation Board Report given to the coroner investigating his death. But the Pentagon said the US shared all the information from its inquiry with the MoD, except those parts that had to be withheld for "security, privacy or other reasons". "The investigation determined that the incident took place in a complex combat environment, the pilots followed applicable procedures," it said. Peter H

What kind of emailer are you? Find out today - get a free analysis of your email personality. Take the quiz at the Mail Championship.

Guest guest

do you want a real or an official comment to that?

peter VV Mar 16, 2007 5:40 PM Re: US rejects ruling on UK soldier

you yanks never admit you are wrong do you? or come to that admit anything!

US rejects ruling on UK soldier

Four other soldiers were injured in the attack near Basra

Susan Hull reaction The US State Department has rejected a coroner's conclusion that the "friendly fire" death of a British soldier in Iraq was unlawful and a criminal act. Lance Corporal of Horse Matty Hull, 25, died near Basra on 28 March 2003 when a US pilot fired on his tank convoy. US spokesman Sean McCormack said it was a "tragedy" during a time of war. The coroner was critical of US failure to send witnesses to the inquest but the Pentagon said he had access to most information from its own inquiry.

Speaking at a State Department briefing in Washington, Mr McCormack said: "Clearly we don't agree with the assessment. What we have here is a tragedy that occurred during a time of war. "We have conducted an investigation into the matter - our military has - they have come to their own conclusions. "We certainly would not agree with any conclusion that categorised this as a criminal act." Widow reacts Recording a narrative verdict, Oxford assistant deputy coroner Andrew Walker said L/Cpl Hull's death was "entirely avoidable". "It was unlawful because there was no lawful reason for it and in that respect it was criminal," he said.

How pilots fired on 'friendlies'

Finding solace after long wait

The US pilots from the Idaho Air National Guard should have flown lower to confirm identities before opening fire, he added. "I don't think this was a case of honest mistake." Speaking after the verdict, L/Cpl Hull's widow Susan said she was now prepared to "draw the line" on the event. "I think all of our family feel it was the right verdict. It was what we'd waited four years to hear," she said. "It's been a long and painful time and we need to move forward." But she said the lack of co-operation from the US was "very disappointing". The Ministry of Defence said it was "very sorry for confusion and upset" caused by the delay in releasing video footage taken from the cockpit of the US A-10 plan. The recording was not initially shown to the inquest, but the US authorities only agreed for it to be released after the footage was leaked to the Sun newspaper. An MoD spokesman said a team has been set up to liaise with coroners and bereaved families and to ensure documents are made available quickly to future inquests. Lawyer Geraldine McCool said the verdict did not suggest there would be a prosecution of the US pilot and the Hull family would not be calling for one. 'Combat environment' Constitutional affairs minister Harriet Harman, who met with US diplomats in London ahead of the inquest, said she shared the "frustration" at their failure to send witnesses.

The cockpit video

'Friendly fire' transcript

"I explained that this was not a criminal court, nobody could be found guilty and sent to prison, it is simply asking questions and requiring answers," she said. In a statement the US defence department described the incident as a "tragic accident". The Hull family believes key information was blacked out of a US Friendly Fire Investigation Board Report given to the coroner investigating his death. But the Pentagon said the US shared all the information from its inquiry with the MoD, except those parts that had to be withheld for "security, privacy or other reasons". "The investigation determined that the incident took place in a complex combat environment, the pilots followed applicable procedures," it said.

Peter H

What kind of emailer are you? Find out today - get a free analysis of your email personality. Take the quiz at the Mail Championship.

I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. As a result of war, corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all the wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the republic is destroyed. I feel, at this moment, more anxiety for the safety of my country than ever before, even in the midst of war. God grant that my suspicions may prove groundless." Lincoln in a letter to Col. William F. Elkins on November 21, 1864

Guest guest

just trying to goad you a little............... my regards to you fantastic administration and all the good work they do....... The Valley Vegan..................fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: do you want a real or an official comment to that? peter VV Mar 16, 2007 5:40 PM Subject:

Re: US rejects ruling on UK soldier you yanks never admit you are wrong do you? or come to that admit anything! US rejects ruling on UK soldier Four other soldiers were injured in the attack near Basra Susan Hull reaction The US State Department has rejected a coroner's conclusion that the "friendly fire" death of a British soldier in Iraq was unlawful and a criminal act. Lance Corporal of Horse Matty Hull, 25, died near Basra on 28 March 2003 when a US pilot fired on his tank convoy. US spokesman Sean McCormack said it was a "tragedy" during a time of war. The coroner was critical of US failure to send witnesses to the inquest but the Pentagon said he had access to most information from its own inquiry. Speaking at a State

Department briefing in Washington, Mr McCormack said: "Clearly we don't agree with the assessment. What we have here is a tragedy that occurred during a time of war. "We have conducted an investigation into the matter - our military has - they have come to their own conclusions. "We certainly would not agree with any conclusion that categorised this as a criminal act." Widow reacts Recording a narrative verdict, Oxford assistant deputy coroner Andrew Walker said L/Cpl Hull's death was "entirely avoidable". "It was unlawful because there was no lawful reason for it and in that respect it was criminal," he said. How pilots fired on 'friendlies' Finding solace after long wait The US pilots from the Idaho Air National Guard should have flown lower to confirm identities before opening fire, he added. "I don't think this was a case of honest mistake." Speaking after the verdict, L/Cpl Hull's widow Susan said she was now prepared to "draw the line" on the event. "I think all of our family feel it was the right verdict. It was what we'd

waited four years to hear," she said. "It's been a long and painful time and we need to move forward." But she said the lack of co-operation from the US was "very disappointing". The Ministry of Defence said it was "very sorry for confusion and upset" caused by the delay in releasing video footage taken from the cockpit of the US A-10 plan. The recording was not initially shown to the inquest, but the US authorities only agreed for it to be released after the footage was leaked to the Sun newspaper. An MoD spokesman said a team has been set up to liaise with coroners and bereaved families and to ensure documents are made available quickly to future inquests. Lawyer Geraldine McCool said the verdict did not suggest there would be a prosecution of the US pilot and the Hull family would not be calling for one. 'Combat environment' Constitutional affairs minister Harriet Harman, who met with US diplomats in

London ahead of the inquest, said she shared the "frustration" at their failure to send witnesses. The cockpit video 'Friendly fire' transcript "I explained that this was not a criminal court, nobody could be found guilty and sent to prison, it is simply asking questions and requiring answers," she said. In a statement the US defence department described the incident as a "tragic accident". The Hull family believes key information was blacked out of a US Friendly Fire Investigation Board Report given to the coroner investigating his death. But the Pentagon said the US shared all the information from its inquiry with the MoD, except those parts that had to be withheld for "security, privacy or other reasons". "The investigation determined that the incident took place in a complex

combat environment, the pilots followed applicable procedures," it said. Peter H What kind of emailer are you? Find out today - get a free analysis of your email personality. Take the quiz at the Mail Championship. I see in the near future a

crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. As a result of war, corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all the wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the republic is destroyed. I feel, at this moment, more anxiety for the safety of my country than ever before, even in the midst of war. God grant that my suspicions may prove groundless." Lincoln in a letter to Col. William F. Elkins on November 21, 1864 Peter H

New Mail is the ultimate force in competitive emailing. Find out more at the Mail Championships. Plus: play games and win prizes.