IndiaDivine.org

En: [veg-brasil] OT- Americans Eating Too Few Veggies

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

forwarded from the brazilian vegetarian forum.Claudiney Morais <claudiney.morais escreveu: Para: "Veg Brasil" <veg-brasilDe: "Claudiney Morais" <claudiney.moraisData: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 18:52:57 -0300Assunto: [veg-brasil] OT- Americans Eating Too Few Veggies Da Time Americans Eating Too Few Veggies Friday, Mar. 16, 2007 By AP/DANIEL YEE Fewer than a third of American adults eat the amount of fruits and vegetables the government recommends, a trend that's remained steady for more than a decade, health

officials said Thursday. That's "well below" the government's goal of getting 75 percent of Americans to eat two servings of fruits and having half of the population consume three servings of vegetables each day by 2010, said Dr. Larry Cohen of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The diet survey, part of a huge federal health survey of every state, is based on responses from 305,000 adults in 2005. It indicates the country is only about halfway toward meeting its healthy eating goal three years from now. "We're really concerned with the lack of success in meeting these national goals," said Cohen, who works in CDC's nutrition and physical activity division. Although the rate of fruit and vegetable consumption has remained unchanged since 1994, health officials said the goal is still within reach. "We have more work to do over the next few years," said spokeswoman Rachel Ciccarone. Specifically the survey showed that 27

percent of adults ate vegetables three times a day, and about 33 percent ate fruit twice a day. A serving size is a half-cup for most fruits and vegetables, one cup for leafy greens. Senior citizens were more likely than others to follow Mom's advice to eat more veggies, with slightly more than a third of that group eating three or more servings each day. Younger adults, age 18 to 24, ate the fewest vegetables. Nearly four-fifths of that age category scraped the veggies to the side of their plates — if they had vegetables on the plate at all. Likewise, seniors also ate the most fruit, with nearly 46 percent eating two or more servings of fruit daily. People age 35 to 44 ate fruit the least, with fewer than 28 percent eating the recommended amount of fruit each day. The federal agency said it doesn't know why people aren't eating more veggies or fruits. Cohen said future surveys will ask people what other foods they are eating. Susan

Krause, a clinical dietitian at Hackensack University Medical Center in New Jersey, said people are eating more refined sugars or choosing protein instead of fruits and vegetables. "There's so much information out there and people get very confused. When they're looking at protein, they feel that's the solution when they're not looking at long-term health benefits," she said. "There's so many fabricated foods now and people are looking at convenience." Not only are fruits and vegetables lower-calorie, they also have minerals and fiber that help guard against chronic diseases and cancer, the CDC says. The survey relied on people to report what they were eating. Telephone questioners asked how often they consumed fruit juice, fruit and vegetables. Although Hispanics ate the most fruits (37 percent) compared with blacks and whites, they ate the fewest vegetables, (about 20 percent). Whites, in contrast, ate the fewest fruits (31 percent) but the most

veggies (28 percent). Cohen said the CDC has been working on family and community programs to get more people to eat their veggies. The agency is working with the U.S. Department of Agriculture to get more fresh produce into schools. Krause said health officials should offer people simple options for getting fruits and vegetables in their diets, such as easy recipes in cooking classes and fruit smoothies or shakes in schools. "If that's a way of getting it in, at least it's in the right direction," she said. "Certainly (whole) fruit is a better choice, but that could be the next alternative." -- Claudiney MoraisRio de Janeiro - RJ

Acesso Grátis - Internet rápida e grátis. Instale o discador agora!

Guest guest

I think its the same in the UK. A lot of people I know don't eat

enough veggies every day. Some people never eat any veggies!

Jo

, Silas Cordeiro-Pascoal

<cordeiropascoal wrote:

>

> forwarded from the brazilian vegetarian forum.

>

> Claudiney Morais <claudiney.morais escreveu: Para: " Veg

Brasil " <veg-brasil

> De: " Claudiney Morais " <claudiney.morais

> Data: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 18:52:57 -0300

> Assunto: [veg-brasil] OT- Americans Eating Too Few Veggies

>

> Da Time

>

> Americans Eating Too Few Veggies Friday, Mar. 16, 2007 By

AP/DANIEL YEE

> Fewer than a third of American adults eat the amount of fruits

and vegetables the government recommends, a trend that's remained

steady for more than a decade, health officials said Thursday.

That's " well below " the government's goal of getting 75 percent of

Americans to eat two servings of fruits and having half of the

population consume three servings of vegetables each day by 2010,

said Dr. Larry Cohen of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and

Prevention.

> The diet survey, part of a huge federal health survey of every

state, is based on responses from 305,000 adults in 2005. It

indicates the country is only about halfway toward meeting its

healthy eating goal three years from now. " We're really concerned

with the lack of success in meeting these national goals, " said

Cohen, who works in CDC's nutrition and physical activity division.

> Although the rate of fruit and vegetable consumption has remained

unchanged since 1994, health officials said the goal is still within

reach. " We have more work to do over the next few years, " said

spokeswoman Rachel Ciccarone.

> Specifically the survey showed that 27 percent of adults ate

vegetables three times a day, and about 33 percent ate fruit twice a

day. A serving size is a half-cup for most fruits and vegetables, one

cup for leafy greens.

> Senior citizens were more likely than others to follow Mom's

advice to eat more veggies, with slightly more than a third of that

group eating three or more servings each day. Younger adults, age 18

to 24, ate the fewest vegetables. Nearly four-fifths of that age

category scraped the veggies to the side of their plates — if they

had vegetables on the plate at all.

> Likewise, seniors also ate the most fruit, with nearly 46 percent

eating two or more servings of fruit daily. People age 35 to 44 ate

fruit the least, with fewer than 28 percent eating the recommended

amount of fruit each day. The federal agency said it doesn't know why

people aren't eating more veggies or fruits. Cohen said future

surveys will ask people what other foods they are eating.

> Susan Krause, a clinical dietitian at Hackensack University

Medical Center in New Jersey, said people are eating more refined

sugars or choosing protein instead of fruits and vegetables. " There's

so much information out there and people get very confused. When

they're looking at protein, they feel that's the solution when

they're not looking at long-term health benefits, " she said. " There's

so many fabricated foods now and people are looking at convenience. "

> Not only are fruits and vegetables lower-calorie, they also have

minerals and fiber that help guard against chronic diseases and

cancer, the CDC says.

> The survey relied on people to report what they were eating.

Telephone questioners asked how often they consumed fruit juice,

fruit and vegetables. Although Hispanics ate the most fruits (37

percent) compared with blacks and whites, they ate the fewest

vegetables, (about 20 percent). Whites, in contrast, ate the fewest

fruits (31 percent) but the most veggies (28 percent).

> Cohen said the CDC has been working on family and community

programs to get more people to eat their veggies. The agency is

working with the U.S. Department of Agriculture to get more fresh

produce into schools.

> Krause said health officials should offer people simple options

for getting fruits and vegetables in their diets, such as easy

recipes in cooking classes and fruit smoothies or shakes in

schools. " If that's a way of getting it in, at least it's in the

right direction, " she said. " Certainly (whole) fruit is a better

choice, but that could be the next alternative. "

>

>

>

>

> --

> Claudiney Morais

> Rio de Janeiro - RJ

>

>

>

> Acesso Grátis - Internet rápida e grátis. Instale o

discador agora!

>

Guest guest

i've known people who considered Green M & M's a vegatable.......

>heartwerk <jo.heartwork

>Mar 20, 2007 12:46 AM

>

> Re: En: [veg-brasil] OT- Americans Eating Too Few Veggies

>

>I think its the same in the UK. A lot of people I know don't eat

>enough veggies every day. Some people never eat any veggies!

>

>Jo

>

I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to

tremble for the safety of my country. As a result of war, corporations have been

enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money

power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the

prejudices of the people until all the wealth is aggregated in a few hands and

the republic is destroyed. I feel, at this moment, more anxiety for the safety

of my country than ever before, even in the midst of war. God grant that my

suspicions may prove groundless. " Lincoln in a letter to Col. William F. Elkins

on November 21, 1864

Guest guest

The girl who sits next to me in work wont eat anything with onions in it, which makes it hard to find savoury dishes without them!, A bloke in work who constantly takes the piss out of me for being a vegan, regularly tells everyone that he gets his vegetables in tablet form ( vitamins )............... The Valley Vegan...............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: i've known people who considered Green M & M's a vegatable.......-----Original

Message----->heartwerk <jo.heartwork >>Mar 20, 2007 12:46 AM> > Re: En: [veg-brasil] OT- Americans Eating Too Few Veggies>>I think its the same in the UK. A lot of people I know don't eat >enough veggies every day. Some people never eat any veggies!>>Jo>I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. As a result of war, corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all the wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the republic is destroyed. I feel, at this moment, more anxiety for the safety

of my country than ever before, even in the midst of war. God grant that my suspicions may prove groundless." Lincoln in a letter to Col. William F. Elkins on November 21, 1864Peter H

What kind of emailer are you? Find out today - get a free analysis of your email personality. Take the quiz at the Mail Championship.

Guest guest

lots of people don't like onions...

my father hated them

on the other paw...my stepmother hated mushrooms...

peter VV Mar 20, 2007 10:16 AM Re: Re: En: [veg-brasil] OT- Americans Eating Too Few Veggies

The girl who sits next to me in work wont eat anything with onions in it, which makes it hard to find savoury dishes without them!, A bloke in work who constantly takes the piss out of me for being a vegan, regularly tells everyone that he gets his vegetables in tablet form ( vitamins )...............

The Valley Vegan...............

I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. As a result of war, corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all the wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the republic is destroyed. I feel, at this moment, more anxiety for the safety of my country than ever before, even in the midst of war. God grant that my suspicions may prove groundless." Lincoln in a letter to Col. William F. Elkins on November 21, 1864

Guest guest

LOL.

Jo

-

" fraggle " <EBbrewpunx

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 4:32 PM

Re: Re: En: [veg-brasil] OT- Americans Eating Too Few

Veggies

> i've known people who considered Green M & M's a vegatable.......

Guest guest

That's right - yet they eat aesofetida instead!!!

Jo

-

" Blake Wilson " <mbw

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 6:00 PM

Re: Re: En: [veg-brasil] OT- Americans Eating Too Few

Veggies

> At 10:46 AM -0700 3/20/07, fraggle wrote:

> >lots of people don't like onions...

> >my father hated them

> >

> >on the other paw...my stepmother hated mushrooms...

>

> vaishnava hindus, particularly hare krishnas, don't eat onions or

> garlic because they " excite the passions " :

Guest guest

Jo wrote: "Some people never eat any veggies!" Other people only eat veggies. Silas heartwerk <jo.heartwork escreveu: I think its the same in the UK. A lot of people I know don't eat enough veggies every day. Some people never eat any veggies!Jo , Silas Cordeiro-Pascoal wrote:>> forwarded from the brazilian vegetarian forum.> > Claudiney Morais escreveu: Para: "Veg Brasil" > De: "Claudiney Morais" > Data: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 18:52:57 -0300> Assunto: [veg-brasil] OT- Americans Eating Too Few Veggies> > Da Time> > Americans Eating Too Few Veggies Friday, Mar.

16, 2007 By AP/DANIEL YEE > Fewer than a third of American adults eat the amount of fruits and vegetables the government recommends, a trend that's remained steady for more than a decade, health officials said Thursday. That's "well below" the government's goal of getting 75 percent of Americans to eat two servings of fruits and having half of the population consume three servings of vegetables each day by 2010, said Dr. Larry Cohen of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.> The diet survey, part of a huge federal health survey of every state, is based on responses from 305,000 adults in 2005. It indicates the country is only about halfway toward meeting its healthy eating goal three years from now. "We're really concerned with the lack of success in meeting these national goals," said Cohen, who works in CDC's nutrition and physical activity division. > Although the rate of fruit and

vegetable consumption has remained unchanged since 1994, health officials said the goal is still within reach. "We have more work to do over the next few years," said spokeswoman Rachel Ciccarone. > Specifically the survey showed that 27 percent of adults ate vegetables three times a day, and about 33 percent ate fruit twice a day. A serving size is a half-cup for most fruits and vegetables, one cup for leafy greens. > Senior citizens were more likely than others to follow Mom's advice to eat more veggies, with slightly more than a third of that group eating three or more servings each day. Younger adults, age 18 to 24, ate the fewest vegetables. Nearly four-fifths of that age category scraped the veggies to the side of their plates — if they had vegetables on the plate at all. > Likewise, seniors also ate the most fruit, with nearly 46 percent eating two or more servings of fruit daily. People age 35 to

44 ate fruit the least, with fewer than 28 percent eating the recommended amount of fruit each day. The federal agency said it doesn't know why people aren't eating more veggies or fruits. Cohen said future surveys will ask people what other foods they are eating. > Susan Krause, a clinical dietitian at Hackensack University Medical Center in New Jersey, said people are eating more refined sugars or choosing protein instead of fruits and vegetables. "There's so much information out there and people get very confused. When they're looking at protein, they feel that's the solution when they're not looking at long-term health benefits," she said. "There's so many fabricated foods now and people are looking at convenience." > Not only are fruits and vegetables lower-calorie, they also have minerals and fiber that help guard against chronic diseases and cancer, the CDC says.> The survey relied on people to

report what they were eating. Telephone questioners asked how often they consumed fruit juice, fruit and vegetables. Although Hispanics ate the most fruits (37 percent) compared with blacks and whites, they ate the fewest vegetables, (about 20 percent). Whites, in contrast, ate the fewest fruits (31 percent) but the most veggies (28 percent). > Cohen said the CDC has been working on family and community programs to get more people to eat their veggies. The agency is working with the U.S. Department of Agriculture to get more fresh produce into schools.> Krause said health officials should offer people simple options for getting fruits and vegetables in their diets, such as easy recipes in cooking classes and fruit smoothies or shakes in schools. "If that's a way of getting it in, at least it's in the right direction," she said. "Certainly (whole) fruit is a better choice, but that could be the next

alternative." > > > > > -- > Claudiney Morais> Rio de Janeiro - RJ > > > > Acesso Grátis - Internet rápida e grátis. Instale o discador agora!>