IndiaDivine.org

Pattycake Vegan Bakery

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hope the video link works! Restaurant Q & A Thursday, April 5, 2007 By Adam Cairns/ThisWeek Jennie Scheinbach is the owner of Pattycake Vegan Bakery in Clintonville. Name: Jennie ScheinbachRestaurant: Pattycake Vegan Bakery, 3009 N. High St.Position: Owner, chefAge: 32 Watch our video of of Jennie Scheinbach making carrot cake cupcakes What's the biggest misconception about vegan food? I think it's changing, but that it's tasteless or that it's hard. I think that by now people have tried some vegan food and they think it can taste pretty good. When we first opened up people would come in and be like, 'My daughter is vegan, I don't want anything for me, thank you.' But that never really happens anymore. Most of the time people are willing to try it. They've tried something that was vegan before that they liked. It can be a little more challenging to do something vegan, but not a lot. Can people tell the difference between vegan and traditional desserts? There's nothing that we can use to imitate egg whites beaten up, so we're never going to have your fluffiest white

cake because that is accomplished by folding egg whites into a batter. You can tell the difference in that it tastes better, especially after you eat it. If you eat your typical baked goods made with hydrogenated oil or eggs and butter, you eat it and 20 minutes later you feel sick, or heavy, weighted down, tired. I think in some ways you can tell the difference and we come out on top. How have your desserts caught on in Columbus? Every year we pick up more wholesale clients. It's really catching on. We get more traffic in here, especially on the weekends. We get new people in here all the time. To me Columbus is the place to be. Columbus is great. I think it's an up-and-coming city, a place to be vegan or a bike-rider. People in Columbus are supportive of the productive and just more and more so. It gets better and better. The organic foods market is explosive and we're just where we need to be on it. How many wholesale

accounts do you have and where are your products? Somewhere between 15 and 20. We're in all the Stauf's and Cup O Joe's -- our cookies, not our muffins -- Yeah, Me Too coffee house, Clintonville Community Market, Raisin Rack, Weiland's, Shi-Sha Lounge, the Bexley Co-op, the Global Gallery. What's your biggest seller? The classic tollhouse cookie with walnuts. They're really good. We use Guittard chocolate chips. They're a high-end, standard chocolate chip from France. Any plans to open additional locations? Not as of right now. Eventually maybe. I'd like to do a cafe. I've got three kids so it's not forthcoming. Peter H

The all-new Mail goes wherever you go - free your email address from your Internet provider.