the only force behind the second argument is that it threatens my

membership, then I will disregard the second argument and forfeit my

membership application.

LVX,

Corry

Guest guest

Hi Corry

You certainly don't forfeit membership of this group - we like having

you here :-0 You sound like you've got it right to me.

Jo

-- In , " Corry " <apocalypse888 wrote:

>

> Hi,

>

> Concerning whether I should keep my leather shoes until they wear out

> or whether I should throw them away, two views have been expressed. The

> first explains that it would be better to keep them in interest of

> avoiding waste. The second believes that it is necessary to throw them

> out in order to be a 'true' vegan.

>

> I haven't made my mind up what to do, but the second argument is not

> germane to the inquiry from my point of view. I simply do not care if I

> am a 'true' vegan or not. I have become convinced that the vegan diet

> is the most humane, ecologically friendly, and healthy, but I did not

> switch to that diet so that I could join another club. Consequently, if

> the only force behind the second argument is that it threatens my

> membership, then I will disregard the second argument and forfeit my

> membership application.

>

> LVX,

>

> Corry

>

Guest guest

Hi Corry, No need to think you have to forfiet anything. The way I look at it, you dont have to throw away anything as long as its put to use. You could give it to a charity shop so that it doesnt go to waste/landfill, so that some non vegan possibly less well off person could have use out of it?eh? The Valley Vegan..............Corry <apocalypse888 wrote: Hi,Concerning whether I should keep my leather shoes until they wear out or whether I should

throw them away, two views have been expressed. The first explains that it would be better to keep them in interest of avoiding waste. The second believes that it is necessary to throw them out in order to be a 'true' vegan. I haven't made my mind up what to do, but the second argument is not germane to the inquiry from my point of view. I simply do not care if I am a 'true' vegan or not. I have become convinced that the vegan diet is the most humane, ecologically friendly, and healthy, but I did not switch to that diet so that I could join another club. Consequently, if the only force behind the second argument is that it threatens my membership, then I will disregard the second argument and forfeit my membership application.LVX,CorryPeter H

Answers - Got a question? Someone out there knows the answer. Try

it now.

Guest guest

I agree, I'm no fan of absolutes and ultimatums, and I'm not joining

that club either. I was quite shocked to read someone say that a

person who still uses wool etc. can't use the word " vegan. " It

reminded me that I have a wool blanket I've used all my life -- it

was a baby gift. I hardly notice it because it's between 2 sheets

year-round (except a week or two in summer). I've never worn much

wool because it's scratchy, but this blanket is soft and will

probably last my lifetime. If I had to replace it, I wouldn't look

for wool (though I might try to piece together a few thrift-shop

cashmere sweaters that I also still have in my closet).

So I guess it comes down to a sort of hierarchy of values. Not eating

animal products comes first, not wasting functional items next, not

knowingly buying exploitative products after that (though I still buy

chocolate...).

At 2:19 PM +0000 5/9/07, Corry wrote:

>Concerning whether I should keep my leather shoes until they wear out

>or whether I should throw them away, two views have been expressed. The

>first explains that it would be better to keep them in interest of

>avoiding waste. The second believes that it is necessary to throw them

>out in order to be a 'true' vegan.

>

>I haven't made my mind up what to do, but the second argument is not

>germane to the inquiry from my point of view. I simply do not care if I

>am a 'true' vegan or not. I have become convinced that the vegan diet

>is the most humane, ecologically friendly, and healthy, but I did not

>switch to that diet so that I could join another club. Consequently, if

>the only force behind the second argument is that it threatens my

>membership, then I will disregard the second argument and forfeit my

>membership application.

Guest guest

[[i have become convinced that the vegan diet is the most humane, ecologically friendly, and healthy, but I did not switch to that diet so that I could join another club.]]

BRAVO!

Guest guest

I agree. Many have items that cost a lot (or were recent purchase(s) before the person went Vegan) and they can't afford to replace or items that have sentimental value.

I didn't have a lot of leather but what I had was tossed. There are a few exceptions (my Tae Bo shoes and my Bibles).

But I don't think there's a Vegan litmus test. Not everyone can afford to replace everything once they go Vegan. Many Vegan items are expensive to begin with. I'm still working on some items and it's been almost a year for me.

On 5/9/07, Corry <apocalypse888 wrote:

Hi,Concerning whether I should keep my leather shoes until they wear outor whether I should throw them away, two views have been expressed. The

first explains that it would be better to keep them in interest ofavoiding waste. The second believes that it is necessary to throw themout in order to be a 'true' vegan.I haven't made my mind up what to do, but the second argument is not

germane to the inquiry from my point of view. I simply do not care if Iam a 'true' vegan or not. I have become convinced that the vegan dietis the most humane, ecologically friendly, and healthy, but I did not

switch to that diet so that I could join another club. Consequently, ifthe only force behind the second argument is that it threatens mymembership, then I will disregard the second argument and forfeit mymembership application.

LVX,CorryTo send an email to -

Guest guest

That's okay if you can afford to change a large proportion of your wardrobe in one go. I don't know many people who can do that though.

Jo

-

peter VV

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 9:06 PM

Re: "True" Vegan

Hi Corry,

No need to think you have to forfiet anything. The way I look at it, you dont have to throw away anything as long as its put to use. You could give it to a charity shop so that it doesnt go to waste/landfill, so that some non vegan possibly less well off person could have use out of it?eh?

The Valley Vegan..............Corry <apocalypse888 wrote:

Hi,Concerning whether I should keep my leather shoes until they wear out or whether I should throw them away, two views have been expressed. The first explains that it would be better to keep them in interest of avoiding waste. The second believes that it is necessary to throw them out in order to be a 'true' vegan. I haven't made my mind up what to do, but the second argument is not germane to the inquiry from my point of view. I simply do not care if I am a 'true' vegan or not. I have become convinced that the vegan diet is the most humane, ecologically friendly, and healthy, but I did not switch to that diet so that I could join another club. Consequently, if the only force behind the second argument is that it threatens my membership, then I will disregard the second argument and forfeit my membership application.LVX,Corry

Peter H

Answers - Got a question? Someone out there knows the answer. Try it now.

Guest guest

I still have a leather coat that my husband gave me as a present many years ago. I haven't worn it for a long time, it doesn't fit now anyway, but it hangs in my wardrobe, because it was a present.

Jo

-

Mikeygirl9915

Wednesday, May 09, 2007 10:03 PM

Re: "True" Vegan

I agree. Many have items that cost a lot (or were recent purchase(s) before the person went Vegan) and they can't afford to replace or items that have sentimental value.

I didn't have a lot of leather but what I had was tossed. There are a few exceptions (my Tae Bo shoes and my Bibles).

But I don't think there's a Vegan litmus test. Not everyone can afford to replace everything once they go Vegan. Many Vegan items are expensive to begin with. I'm still working on some items and it's been almost a year for me.

On 5/9/07, Corry <apocalypse888 wrote: Hi,Concerning whether I should keep my leather shoes until they wear outor whether I should throw them away, two views have been expressed. The first explains that it would be better to keep them in interest ofavoiding waste. The second believes that it is necessary to throw themout in order to be a 'true' vegan.I haven't made my mind up what to do, but the second argument is not germane to the inquiry from my point of view. I simply do not care if Iam a 'true' vegan or not. I have become convinced that the vegan dietis the most humane, ecologically friendly, and healthy, but I did not switch to that diet so that I could join another club. Consequently, ifthe only force behind the second argument is that it threatens mymembership, then I will disregard the second argument and forfeit mymembership application. LVX,CorryTo send an email to -

Guest guest

> I agree. Many have items that cost a lot (or were recent purchase

(s) before

> the person went Vegan) and they can't afford to replace or items

that have

> sentimental value.

I have fur coats that have been passed down in my family for

generations. They were given to me when i was 18 and I didnt go vegan

until I was 20 and Im 21 now.

No way was I going to throw or just give them away, they have been in

my family since the early 1900s and have been passed down to the

oldest or closest to oldest daughter (in case odlest daughter had no

children and her sister ro brother did) on her 18th birthday for

generations and I will do the same when the time comes.

It would be wasteful and pointless for any vegan to throw or even

give away soemthign like that. Even though, in a sense, in

contradicts with the beleifs, no one is perfect, and its somethign

that needs to stay within the family.

, Mikeygirl9915 <mikeygrl9915

wrote:

>

> I agree. Many have items that cost a lot (or were recent purchase

(s) before

> the person went Vegan) and they can't afford to replace or items

that have

> sentimental value.

>

> I didn't have a lot of leather but what I had was tossed. There are

a few

> exceptions (my Tae Bo shoes and my Bibles).

>

> But I don't think there's a Vegan litmus test. Not everyone can

afford to

> replace everything once they go Vegan. Many Vegan items are

expensive to

> begin with. I'm still working on some items and it's been almost a

year for

> me.

>

>

> On 5/9/07, Corry <apocalypse888 wrote:

> >

> > Hi,

> >

> > Concerning whether I should keep my leather shoes until they wear

out

> > or whether I should throw them away, two views have been

expressed. The

> > first explains that it would be better to keep them in interest of

> > avoiding waste. The second believes that it is necessary to throw

them

> > out in order to be a 'true' vegan.

> >

> > I haven't made my mind up what to do, but the second argument is

not

> > germane to the inquiry from my point of view. I simply do not

care if I

> > am a 'true' vegan or not. I have become convinced that the vegan

diet

> > is the most humane, ecologically friendly, and healthy, but I did

not

> > switch to that diet so that I could join another club.

Consequently, if

> > the only force behind the second argument is that it threatens my

> > membership, then I will disregard the second argument and forfeit

my

> > membership application.

> >

> > LVX,

> >

> > Corry

> >

> >

> >

> > To send an email to -

> >

Guest guest

OK...this I have never heard of .. keeping Fur coats.. because they are old? I have never known a vegan to have ever considered it .. you want to keep them in the family ? a waste to donate ? I am confused ... are no there no lines we draw ?angelikfiona <angelik_kitty_kat wrote: > I agree. Many have items that cost a lot (or were recent purchase(s) before> the person went Vegan) and they can't afford to replace or items that have> sentimental value.I have fur

coats that have been passed down in my family for generations. They were given to me when i was 18 and I didnt go vegan until I was 20 and Im 21 now.No way was I going to throw or just give them away, they have been in my family since the early 1900s and have been passed down to the oldest or closest to oldest daughter (in case odlest daughter had no children and her sister ro brother did) on her 18th birthday for generations and I will do the same when the time comes.It would be wasteful and pointless for any vegan to throw or even give away soemthign like that. Even though, in a sense, in contradicts with the beleifs, no one is perfect, and its somethign that needs to stay within the family. , Mikeygirl9915 <mikeygrl9915 wrote:>> I agree. Many have items that cost a lot (or were recent

purchase(s) before> the person went Vegan) and they can't afford to replace or items that have> sentimental value.> > I didn't have a lot of leather but what I had was tossed. There are a few> exceptions (my Tae Bo shoes and my Bibles).> > But I don't think there's a Vegan litmus test. Not everyone can afford to> replace everything once they go Vegan. Many Vegan items are expensive to> begin with. I'm still working on some items and it's been almost a year for> me.> > > On 5/9/07, Corry <apocalypse888 wrote:> >> > Hi,> >> > Concerning whether I should keep my leather shoes until they wear out> > or whether I should throw them away, two views have been expressed. The> > first explains that it would be better to keep them in interest of> > avoiding waste. The second

believes that it is necessary to throw them> > out in order to be a 'true' vegan.> >> > I haven't made my mind up what to do, but the second argument is not> > germane to the inquiry from my point of view. I simply do not care if I> > am a 'true' vegan or not. I have become convinced that the vegan diet> > is the most humane, ecologically friendly, and healthy, but I did not> > switch to that diet so that I could join another club. Consequently, if> > the only force behind the second argument is that it threatens my> > membership, then I will disregard the second argument and forfeit my> > membership application.> >> > LVX,> >> > Corry> >> >> >> > To send an email to - > >

Guest guest

I must admit that I wouldnt consider wearing fur if I had any before I was vegan.It may be hypocritical, but I would continue to wear shoes or a belt of leather until they wore out. I dont think that there are many vegans who would? The Valley Vegan....................connie bell <caromiotk wrote: OK...this I have never heard of .. keeping Fur coats.. because they are old? I have never known a vegan to have ever considered it .. you want to keep them in the

family ? a waste to donate ? I am confused ... are no there no lines we draw ?angelikfiona <angelik_kitty_kat > wrote: > I agree. Many have items that cost a lot (or were recent purchase(s) before> the person went Vegan) and they can't afford to replace or items that have> sentimental value.I have fur coats that have been passed down in my family for generations. They were given to me when i was 18 and I didnt go vegan until I was 20 and Im 21 now.No way was I going to throw or just give them away, they have been in my family since the early 1900s and have been passed down to the oldest or closest to oldest daughter (in case odlest daughter had no children and her sister ro brother did) on her 18th birthday for generations and I will do the

same when the time comes.It would be wasteful and pointless for any vegan to throw or even give away soemthign like that. Even though, in a sense, in contradicts with the beleifs, no one is perfect, and its somethign that needs to stay within the family. , Mikeygirl9915 <mikeygrl9915 wrote:>> I agree. Many have items that cost a lot (or were recent purchase(s) before> the person went Vegan) and they can't afford to replace or items that have> sentimental value.> > I didn't have a lot of leather but what I had was tossed. There are a few> exceptions (my Tae Bo shoes and my Bibles).> > But I don't think there's a Vegan litmus test. Not everyone can afford to> replace everything once they go Vegan. Many Vegan items are expensive to> begin with. I'm

still working on some items and it's been almost a year for> me.> > > On 5/9/07, Corry <apocalypse888 wrote:> >> > Hi,> >> > Concerning whether I should keep my leather shoes until they wear out> > or whether I should throw them away, two views have been expressed. The> > first explains that it would be better to keep them in interest of> > avoiding waste. The second believes that it is necessary to throw them> > out in order to be a 'true' vegan.> >> > I haven't made my mind up what to do, but the second argument is not> > germane to the inquiry from my point of view. I simply do not care if I> > am a 'true' vegan or not. I have become convinced that the vegan diet> > is the most humane, ecologically friendly, and healthy, but I did not> > switch to that diet

so that I could join another club. Consequently, if> > the only force behind the second argument is that it threatens my> > membership, then I will disregard the second argument and forfeit my> > membership application.> >> > LVX,> >> > Corry> >> >> >> > To send an email to - > >

Guest guest

I think I also found it odd someone who was vegan would perceive them as treasures or heirlooms, ...... since fur hypocritical or not .. is in a class by itself .. Conniepeter VV <swpgh01 wrote: I must admit that I wouldnt consider wearing fur if I had any before I was vegan.It may be hypocritical, but I would continue to wear shoes or a belt of leather until they wore out. I dont think that there are many vegans who would? The

Valley Vegan....................connie bell <caromiotk > wrote: OK...this I have never heard of .. keeping Fur coats.. because they are old? I have never known a vegan to have ever considered it .. you want to keep them in the family ? a waste to donate ? I am confused ... are no there no lines we draw ?angelikfiona <angelik_kitty_kat > wrote: > I agree. Many have items that cost a lot (or were recent purchase(s) before> the person went Vegan) and they can't afford to replace or items that have> sentimental value.I have fur coats that have been passed down in my family for generations.

They were given to me when i was 18 and I didnt go vegan until I was 20 and Im 21 now.No way was I going to throw or just give them away, they have been in my family since the early 1900s and have been passed down to the oldest or closest to oldest daughter (in case odlest daughter had no children and her sister ro brother did) on her 18th birthday for generations and I will do the same when the time comes.It would be wasteful and pointless for any vegan to throw or even give away soemthign like that. Even though, in a sense, in contradicts with the beleifs, no one is perfect, and its somethign that needs to stay within the family. , Mikeygirl9915 <mikeygrl9915 wrote:>> I agree. Many have items that cost a lot (or were recent purchase(s) before> the person went Vegan) and they can't

afford to replace or items that have> sentimental value.> > I didn't have a lot of leather but what I had was tossed. There are a few> exceptions (my Tae Bo shoes and my Bibles).> > But I don't think there's a Vegan litmus test. Not everyone can afford to> replace everything once they go Vegan. Many Vegan items are expensive to> begin with. I'm still working on some items and it's been almost a year for> me.> > > On 5/9/07, Corry <apocalypse888 wrote:> >> > Hi,> >> > Concerning whether I should keep my leather shoes until they wear out> > or whether I should throw them away, two views have been expressed. The> > first explains that it would be better to keep them in interest of> > avoiding waste. The second believes that it is necessary to throw them> > out in

order to be a 'true' vegan.> >> > I haven't made my mind up what to do, but the second argument is not> > germane to the inquiry from my point of view. I simply do not care if I> > am a 'true' vegan or not. I have become convinced that the vegan diet> > is the most humane, ecologically friendly, and healthy, but I did not> > switch to that diet so that I could join another club. Consequently, if> > the only force behind the second argument is that it threatens my> > membership, then I will disregard the second argument and forfeit my> > membership application.> >> > LVX,> >> > Corry> >> >> >> > To send an email to - > >

Guest guest

Sometimes we tend to take ourselves too seriously. Do what you feel

in your heart, you know what's right for you. Live by principles

that make sense to you, your environment and your beliefs.

Sometimes we're too quick to judge others as well. Do your

best...follow your heart...

, connie bell <caromiotk wrote:

>

> I think I also found it odd someone who was vegan would perceive

them as treasures or heirlooms, ...... since fur hypocritical or

not .. is in a class by itself .. Connie

>

> peter VV <swpgh01 wrote: I must admit that I

wouldnt consider wearing fur if I had any before I was vegan.It may

be hypocritical, but I would continue to wear shoes or a belt of

leather until they wore out. I dont think that there are many vegans

who would?

>

> The Valley Vegan....................

>

> connie bell <caromiotk wrote:

> OK...this I have never heard of .. keeping Fur coats..

because they are old? I have never known a vegan to have ever

considered it .. you want to keep them in the family ? a waste to

donate ? I am confused ... are no there no lines we draw ?

>

> angelikfiona <angelik_kitty_kat wrote: > I agree. Many

have items that cost a lot (or were recent purchase

> (s) before

> > the person went Vegan) and they can't afford to replace or items

> that have

> > sentimental value.

>

> I have fur coats that have been passed down in my family for

> generations. They were given to me when i was 18 and I didnt go

vegan

> until I was 20 and Im 21 now.

>

> No way was I going to throw or just give them away, they have been

in

> my family since the early 1900s and have been passed down to the

> oldest or closest to oldest daughter (in case odlest daughter had

no

> children and her sister ro brother did) on her 18th birthday for

> generations and I will do the same when the time comes.

>

> It would be wasteful and pointless for any vegan to throw or even

> give away soemthign like that. Even though, in a sense, in

> contradicts with the beleifs, no one is perfect, and its somethign

> that needs to stay within the family.

>

> , Mikeygirl9915 <mikeygrl9915@>

> wrote:

> >

> > I agree. Many have items that cost a lot (or were recent purchase

> (s) before

> that have

> > sentimental value.

> >

> > I didn't have a lot of leather but what I had was tossed. There

are

> a few

> > exceptions (my Tae Bo shoes and my Bibles).

> >

> > But I don't think there's a Vegan litmus test. Not everyone can

> afford to

> > replace everything once they go Vegan. Many Vegan items are

> expensive to

> > begin with. I'm still working on some items and it's been almost

a

> year for

> > me.

> >

> >

> > On 5/9/07, Corry <apocalypse888@> wrote:

> > >

> > > Hi,

> > >

> > > Concerning whether I should keep my leather shoes until they

wear

> out

> > > or whether I should throw them away, two views have been

> expressed. The

> > > first explains that it would be better to keep them in

interest of

> > > avoiding waste. The second believes that it is necessary to

throw

> them

> > > out in order to be a 'true' vegan.

> > >

> > > I haven't made my mind up what to do, but the second argument

is

> not

> > > germane to the inquiry from my point of view. I simply do not

> care if I

> > > am a 'true' vegan or not. I have become convinced that the

vegan

> diet

> > > is the most humane, ecologically friendly, and healthy, but I

did

> not

> > > switch to that diet so that I could join another club.

> Consequently, if

> > > the only force behind the second argument is that it threatens

my

> > > membership, then I will disregard the second argument and

forfeit

> my

> > > membership application.

> > >

> > > LVX,

> > >

> > > Corry

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > To send an email to -

>

> > >

Guest guest

Sometimes we tend to take ourselves too seriously. Do what you feel

in your heart, you know what's right for you. Live by principles

that make sense to you, your environment and your beliefs.

Sometimes we're too quick to judge others as well. Do your

best...follow your heart...

, connie bell <caromiotk wrote:

>

them as treasures or heirlooms, ...... since fur hypocritical or

not .. is in a class by itself .. Connie

>

> peter VV <swpgh01 wrote: I must admit that I

wouldnt consider wearing fur if I had any before I was vegan.It may

be hypocritical, but I would continue to wear shoes or a belt of

leather until they wore out. I dont think that there are many vegans

who would?

>

>

> OK...this I have never heard of .. keeping Fur coats..

because they are old? I have never known a vegan to have ever

considered it .. you want to keep them in the family ? a waste to

donate ? I am confused ... are no there no lines we draw ?

>

> angelikfiona <angelik_kitty_kat wrote: > I agree. Many

have items that cost a lot (or were recent purchase

> (s) before

> that have

> > sentimental value.

>

> generations. They were given to me when i was 18 and I didnt go

vegan

>

> No way was I going to throw or just give them away, they have been

in

> oldest or closest to oldest daughter (in case odlest daughter had

no

>

>

> , Mikeygirl9915 <mikeygrl9915@>

> wrote:

> >

> (s) before

> that have

> > sentimental value.

> >

> > I didn't have a lot of leather but what I had was tossed. There

are

> a few

> >

> afford to

> expensive to

> > begin with. I'm still working on some items and it's been almost

a

> year for

> > me.

> >

> >

> > On 5/9/07, Corry <apocalypse888@> wrote:

> > >

> > > Hi,

> > >

> > > Concerning whether I should keep my leather shoes until they

wear

> out

> expressed. The

> > > first explains that it would be better to keep them in

interest of

> > > avoiding waste. The second believes that it is necessary to

throw

> them

> > >

> > > I haven't made my mind up what to do, but the second argument

is

> not

> care if I

> > > am a 'true' vegan or not. I have become convinced that the

vegan

> diet

> > > is the most humane, ecologically friendly, and healthy, but I

did

> not

> Consequently, if

> > > the only force behind the second argument is that it threatens

my

> > > membership, then I will disregard the second argument and

forfeit

> my

> > >

> > > LVX,

> > >

> > > Corry

> > >

> > >

> > >

>

> > >

Guest guest

I agree that is what you should do. You are not causing further harm.

Jo

-

" angelikfiona " <angelik_kitty_kat

Thursday, May 10, 2007 8:43 AM

Re: " True " Vegan

> (s) before

> that have

> > sentimental value.

>

>

>

> generations. They were given to me when i was 18 and I didnt go vegan

>

> No way was I going to throw or just give them away, they have been in

> oldest or closest to oldest daughter (in case odlest daughter had no

>

>

>

>

>

> , Mikeygirl9915 <mikeygrl9915

> wrote:

> >

> (s) before

> that have

> > sentimental value.

> >

> > I didn't have a lot of leather but what I had was tossed. There are

> a few

> >

> afford to

> expensive to

> > begin with. I'm still working on some items and it's been almost a

> year for

> > me.

> >

> >

> > On 5/9/07, Corry <apocalypse888 wrote:

> > >

> > > Hi,

> > >

> > > Concerning whether I should keep my leather shoes until they wear

> out

> expressed. The

> > > first explains that it would be better to keep them in interest of

> > > avoiding waste. The second believes that it is necessary to throw

> them

> > >

> > > I haven't made my mind up what to do, but the second argument is

> not

> care if I

> > > am a 'true' vegan or not. I have become convinced that the vegan

> diet

> > > is the most humane, ecologically friendly, and healthy, but I did

> not

> Consequently, if

> > > the only force behind the second argument is that it threatens my

> > > membership, then I will disregard the second argument and forfeit

> my

> > >

> > > LVX,

> > >

> > > Corry

> > >

> > >

> > >

>

> > >

Guest guest

I think the line we draw is not doing any harm to animals. If those coats are old, i.e. passed down for generations, then no harm is being done now by the person who now has them.

Jo

-

connie bell

Thursday, May 10, 2007 9:46 AM

Re: Re: "True" Vegan

OK...this I have never heard of .. keeping Fur coats.. because they are old? I have never known a vegan to have ever considered it .. you want to keep them in the family ? a waste to donate ? I am confused ... are no there no lines we draw ?angelikfiona <angelik_kitty_kat wrote:

> I agree. Many have items that cost a lot (or were recent purchase(s) before> the person went Vegan) and they can't afford to replace or items that have> sentimental value.I have fur coats that have been passed down in my family for generations. They were given to me when i was 18 and I didnt go vegan until I was 20 and Im 21 now.No way was I going to throw or just give them away, they have been in my family since the early 1900s and have been passed down to the oldest or closest to oldest daughter (in case odlest daughter had no children and her sister ro brother did) on her 18th birthday for generations and I will do the same when the time comes.It would be wasteful and pointless for any vegan to throw or even give away soemthign like that. Even though, in a sense, in contradicts with the beleifs, no one is perfect, and its somethign that needs to stay within the family. , Mikeygirl9915 <mikeygrl9915 wrote:>> I agree. Many have items that cost a lot (or were recent purchase(s) before> the person went Vegan) and they can't afford to replace or items that have> sentimental value.> > I didn't have a lot of leather but what I had was tossed. There are a few> exceptions (my Tae Bo shoes and my Bibles).> > But I don't think there's a Vegan litmus test. Not everyone can afford to> replace everything once they go Vegan. Many Vegan items are expensive to> begin with. I'm still working on some items and it's been almost a year for> me.> > > On 5/9/07, Corry <apocalypse888 wrote:> >> > Hi,> >> > Concerning whether I should keep my leather shoes until they wear out> > or whether I should throw them away, two views have been expressed. The> > first explains that it would be better to keep them in interest of> > avoiding waste. The second believes that it is necessary to throw them> > out in order to be a 'true' vegan.> >> > I haven't made my mind up what to do, but the second argument is not> > germane to the inquiry from my point of view. I simply do not care if I> > am a 'true' vegan or not. I have become convinced that the vegan diet> > is the most humane, ecologically friendly, and healthy, but I did not> > switch to that diet so that I could join another club. Consequently, if> > the only force behind the second argument is that it threatens my> > membership, then I will disregard the second argument and forfeit my> > membership application.> >> > LVX,> >> > Corry> >> >> >> > To send an email to - > >

Guest guest

Heirlooms are not necessarily what you would like. I have ornaments that belonged to my mother and father, and my brother. I don't particularly like them - would never have bought them, but they belonged to my loved ones.

Jo

-

connie bell

Thursday, May 10, 2007 2:27 PM

Re: Re: "True" Vegan

I think I also found it odd someone who was vegan would perceive them as treasures or heirlooms, ...... since fur hypocritical or not .. is in a class by itself .. Conniepeter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

I must admit that I wouldnt consider wearing fur if I had any before I was vegan.It may be hypocritical, but I would continue to wear shoes or a belt of leather until they wore out. I dont think that there are many vegans who would?

The Valley Vegan....................connie bell <caromiotk > wrote:

OK...this I have never heard of .. keeping Fur coats.. because they are old? I have never known a vegan to have ever considered it .. you want to keep them in the family ? a waste to donate ? I am confused ... are no there no lines we draw ?angelikfiona <angelik_kitty_kat > wrote:

> I agree. Many have items that cost a lot (or were recent purchase(s) before> the person went Vegan) and they can't afford to replace or items that have> sentimental value.I have fur coats that have been passed down in my family for generations. They were given to me when i was 18 and I didnt go vegan until I was 20 and Im 21 now.No way was I going to throw or just give them away, they have been in my family since the early 1900s and have been passed down to the oldest or closest to oldest daughter (in case odlest daughter had no children and her sister ro brother did) on her 18th birthday for generations and I will do the same when the time comes.It would be wasteful and pointless for any vegan to throw or even give away soemthign like that. Even though, in a sense, in contradicts with the beleifs, no one is perfect, and its somethign that needs to stay within the family. , Mikeygirl9915 <mikeygrl9915 wrote:>> I agree. Many have items that cost a lot (or were recent purchase(s) before> the person went Vegan) and they can't afford to replace or items that have> sentimental value.> > I didn't have a lot of leather but what I had was tossed. There are a few> exceptions (my Tae Bo shoes and my Bibles).> > But I don't think there's a Vegan litmus test. Not everyone can afford to> replace everything once they go Vegan. Many Vegan items are expensive to> begin with. I'm still working on some items and it's been almost a year for> me.> > > On 5/9/07, Corry <apocalypse888 wrote:> >> > Hi,> >> > Concerning whether I should keep my leather shoes until they wear out> > or whether I should throw them away, two views have been expressed. The> > first explains that it would be better to keep them in interest of> > avoiding waste. The second believes that it is necessary to throw them> > out in order to be a 'true' vegan.> >> > I haven't made my mind up what to do, but the second argument is not> > germane to the inquiry from my point of view. I simply do not care if I> > am a 'true' vegan or not. I have become convinced that the vegan diet> > is the most humane, ecologically friendly, and healthy, but I did not> > switch to that diet so that I could join another club. Consequently, if> > the only force behind the second argument is that it threatens my> > membership, then I will disregard the second argument and forfeit my> > membership application.> >> > LVX,> >> > Corry> >> >> >> > To send an email to - > >

Guest guest

I agree with louis.

leather or wool is still stolen from another being.

The last time we had this discussion, I believe we concluded that

there is no

right answer, damned if you wear it and damned if you get rid of it.

People have to do what is right for them, but must be

aware of the correct message being sent out.

A vegan wearing fur looks like an unbeliavable oxymoron. It does

not fit the common dictionary

description of the word Vegan.

A vegan person wearing old leather should call themselves a Freegan.

If a vegan can wear dead animals, then doesn't that mean that vegans

can eat animals whose flesh are going to landfills?

You are saying " I think of animals as fabric " and/or It's ok, for us

to use animals for our own benefit.

Meat-eaters use the " already dead " argument when eating meat. I'ts

already killed, why let it go to waste.

I have made the decision to wear no animal products.

One thing, that I do is buy cheap clothes at thrift or second hand

stores.

That way we are not supporting NEW China crap/ sweatshops.

If you see our fellow animals the same way as humans, then you

wouldn't wear skin made out of humans?

These items should not be thrown in the garbage. Why not give them to

Homeless people. It would piss off the advertisers, who promote

leather as a luxury item.

That is the mentality of most people , If a homeless person is

wearing it, it must not be fashionable.

It wouldn't be wasting the item.

Donating something might also prevent, someone from not buying a NEW

leather item.

, " jo " <jo.heartwork wrote:

>

> Heirlooms are not necessarily what you would like. I have ornaments

that belonged to my mother and father, and my brother. I don't

particularly like them - would never have bought them, but they

belonged to my loved ones.

>

> Jo

> -

> connie bell

>

> Thursday, May 10, 2007 2:27 PM

> Re: Re: " True " Vegan

>

>

them as treasures or heirlooms, ...... since fur hypocritical or not

... is in a class by itself .. Connie

>

> peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

> I must admit that I wouldnt consider wearing fur if I had any

before I was vegan.It may be hypocritical, but I would continue to

wear shoes or a belt of leather until they wore out. I dont think that

there are many vegans who would?

>

>

> OK...this I have never heard of .. keeping Fur coats.. because

they are old? I have never known a vegan to have ever considered it ..

you want to keep them in the family ? a waste to donate ? I am

confused ... are no there no lines we draw ?

>

Guest guest

I dont wear them, they sit in my closet as family keepsakes,

heirlooms.

My mother would be so upset with me if I throw them away or simply

gave them away. My grandmother would prolly roll over in her grave.

It would be wasteful to get rid of something that is so special to

your family.

No animal is being harmed by keeping them, they're a family keepsake.

My family has died and passed away and these were there's.

I only have 2, fox and rabbit.

The rest of mine are faux, 100% polyester too.

, " silverjetta041603 "

<silverjetta041603 wrote:

>

> Sometimes we tend to take ourselves too seriously. Do what you

feel

> in your heart, you know what's right for you. Live by principles

> that make sense to you, your environment and your beliefs.

> Sometimes we're too quick to judge others as well. Do your

> best...follow your heart...

>

> , connie bell <caromiotk@> wrote:

> >

> > I think I also found it odd someone who was vegan would perceive

> them as treasures or heirlooms, ...... since fur hypocritical or

> not .. is in a class by itself .. Connie

> >

> > peter VV <swpgh01@> wrote: I must admit that I

> wouldnt consider wearing fur if I had any before I was vegan.It may

> be hypocritical, but I would continue to wear shoes or a belt of

> leather until they wore out. I dont think that there are many

vegans

> who would?

> >

> > The Valley Vegan....................

> >

> > connie bell <caromiotk@> wrote:

> > OK...this I have never heard of .. keeping Fur coats..

> because they are old? I have never known a vegan to have ever

> considered it .. you want to keep them in the family ? a waste to

> donate ? I am confused ... are no there no lines we draw ?

> >

> > angelikfiona <angelik_kitty_kat@> wrote: > I agree. Many

> have items that cost a lot (or were recent purchase

> > (s) before

> > > the person went Vegan) and they can't afford to replace or

items

> > that have

> > > sentimental value.

> >

> > I have fur coats that have been passed down in my family for

> > generations. They were given to me when i was 18 and I didnt go

> vegan

> > until I was 20 and Im 21 now.

> >

> > No way was I going to throw or just give them away, they have

been

> in

> > my family since the early 1900s and have been passed down to the

> > oldest or closest to oldest daughter (in case odlest daughter had

> no

> > children and her sister ro brother did) on her 18th birthday for

> > generations and I will do the same when the time comes.

> >

> > It would be wasteful and pointless for any vegan to throw or even

> > give away soemthign like that. Even though, in a sense, in

> > contradicts with the beleifs, no one is perfect, and its

somethign

> > that needs to stay within the family.

> >

> > , Mikeygirl9915 <mikeygrl9915@>

> > wrote:

> > >

> > > I agree. Many have items that cost a lot (or were recent

purchase

> > (s) before

> > > the person went Vegan) and they can't afford to replace or

items

> > that have

> > > sentimental value.

> > >

> > > I didn't have a lot of leather but what I had was tossed. There

> are

> > a few

> > > exceptions (my Tae Bo shoes and my Bibles).

> > >

> > > But I don't think there's a Vegan litmus test. Not everyone can

> > afford to

> > > replace everything once they go Vegan. Many Vegan items are

> > expensive to

> > > begin with. I'm still working on some items and it's been

almost

> a

> > year for

> > > me.

> > >

> > >

> > > On 5/9/07, Corry <apocalypse888@> wrote:

> > > >

> > > > Hi,

> > > >

> > > > Concerning whether I should keep my leather shoes until they

> wear

> > out

> > > > or whether I should throw them away, two views have been

> > expressed. The

> > > > first explains that it would be better to keep them in

> interest of

> > > > avoiding waste. The second believes that it is necessary to

> throw

> > them

> > > > out in order to be a 'true' vegan.

> > > >

> > > > I haven't made my mind up what to do, but the second argument

> is

> > not

> > > > germane to the inquiry from my point of view. I simply do not

> > care if I

> > > > am a 'true' vegan or not. I have become convinced that the

> vegan

> > diet

> > > > is the most humane, ecologically friendly, and healthy, but I

> did

> > not

> > > > switch to that diet so that I could join another club.

> > Consequently, if

> > > > the only force behind the second argument is that it

threatens

> my

> > > > membership, then I will disregard the second argument and

> forfeit

> > my

> > > > membership application.

> > > >

> > > > LVX,

> > > >

> > > > Corry

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > To send an email to -

> >

> > > >

Guest guest

[[These items should not be thrown in the garbage. Why not give them toHomeless people. It would piss off the advertisers, who promoteleather as a luxury item]]

Now I have to admit, THAT is an intriguing idea! I have this mental image of homeless people wearing not just leather shoes, but fur coats donated by rich people who have turned vegan. The homeless would benefit since they need to keep warm, and meanwhile the whole "mystique" and image of fur as a luxury item would quickly disappear.

Guest guest

[[they have been in my family since the early 1900s and have been passed down to the oldest or closest to oldest daughter (in case odlest daughter had no children and her sister ro brother did) on her 18th birthday for generations and I will do the same when the time comes.]]

I suppose whalebone corsets could be an heirloom, too, but I wouldn't feel obligated to keep one. What will you do if your daughter just plain doesn't want the furs? What if she plans to travel around the country as so many young people do? If furs are professionally stored, that's a really unfair expense to impose or guilt-trip on your daughter. Sometimes possessions of any sort can be great burdens. You should never allow yourself to be owned by an inanimate object, and you should certainly never "force" something on another person. I have relatives like that. They become very insulting if you say you don't want some prized item--usually something completely out of date--but if you take it to shut them up, they will demand to know where it is 10 years and five major moves later. You can't say, "Oh, I sold it, Grandma." Even though you never wanted it in the first place.