IndiaDivine.org

Sweetness, meatless

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Vegas? Central Avenue Bakery in Pacific Grove goes 'green' on several levels The Monterey County Herald Article Last Updated: 05/10/2007 01:38:39 AM PDT You never know what can happen when two neighbors, each disenchanted with her job and searching for something new, get together to commiserate over coffee. They might just try to change the world — one vegan nutburger at a time. Two years ago, next-door neighbors Tina Thompson and Rebecca Pieken put their heads together and discovered shared passions — cooking and the environment. The result is Central Avenue Bakery in Pacific Grove, a multipurpose vegetarian and vegan deli/restaurant/ coffeehouse/hangout,

serving food that is — according to their business card — "mostly organic and always delicious." In April 2005, the friends opened their bread-based business in the same space that, ironically, previously housed Carb Busters Deli, which died along with the Atkins Diet. The Bakery evolved slowly, first serving sandwiches on fresh-baked bread, along with deli fare, before expanding to full breakfasts (served all day), salads, soups, pizzas, quiche, lasagna, pirozhkis and much more. And no meat. Ever. "Our philosophy was always healthful, wholesome and delicious," said Pieken, who's not even a vegetarian but admires the lifestyle. "I think we've proven you can serve great food without meat." Choices among breads include the bakery's popular seven-grain, four-seed farmer's bread, as well as a few gluten-free and vegan varieties. The cheeses are made without rennet (derived from the stomach of a calf) and dairy-free vegan cheeses are made

in-house. As for the nutburger, it's a housemade, ground concoction of nuts (including macadamia, cashew, almond and pecan) and vegetables formed into a patty and grilled. Being "green" is important to Pieken and Thompson, who grind their own flour from organic grains; compost their green waste; use dishes, silver and linens to avoid paper products; and shop at local farmers markets, buying organic whenever it's fiscally feasible. The front of the house features a sitting/reading area, complete with comfy couch and a mini library and game table. Fresh flowers abound, completing the picture as a welcoming respite. |HE SAID| Living by my Montana-born father's culinary mantra, "If ya ain't et meat, ya ain't et," I feared the horrors I might encounter inside the Central Avenue Bakery. In the end, however, I realized my greatest fear — actually liking quite a bit of what I consumed. As I walk up to the bakery window,

adorned with hanging pieces of stained-glass art, I imagine coaxing my conservative father inside this "hippie joint." The first challenge would be to avert his eyes from a white car out front with an "Impeach Bush" bumper sticker. Or the Yoga Sanctuary across the street. Or convincing him to eat a bowl of chili sin carne. To my surprise, the chili stands up to my family's high standards, meat or no meat. It's thick and rich, employing large, fresh tomato chunks, whole black beans, sweet onions and some of the bakery's famous nutburger as a binder. The secret here is the addition of barbecue sauce, which provides some sweetness and a bit of zip. Four of us share an abundance of everything — salads, soups, pirozhkis, lasagna, quiche and a few other samplings lost in memory. Most draw enthusiastic approval, with only a few clunkers. The chili rocks — four spoons obliterating the house favorite. The nutburger surprises us all, including Tony, our resident

outspoken vegetarian. Its texture is meatlike, crisp outside and moist inside. The white-bean salad draws raves, although the navy beans are a bit undercooked. I have the curry soup to myself, the others giving it a lukewarm response. It's nicely balanced, the coconut milk not an overly rich component, but rather a nice undertone. The garbanzo beans, tomatoes and spinach add nice layers and I enjoy the spicy kick. The hummus is a huge hit — actually, upon reflection, the best I've ever tasted — smooth, creamy, with subtle garlic shining through. Among the slight disappointments for me were the tomato-spinach quiche (watery) and the pirozhkis (bland, dry and crying out for a dipping sauce). |SHE SAID| Honestly, I could be a vegetarian — right up until I walk past RG Burger. My friend Tricia says it's OK not to be totally committed; you can be a part-time vegetarian, she says, and feel no guilt. I admire the commitment, though, whether made

on the basis of health-conscious, philosophical or visceral concerns. My reasons are purely preferential, I admit. I gravitate to vegetarian options because I think flavors tend to be more delicate, fresh and creative (hold that ridiculously tired, steamed-within-an-inch- of-its-life vegetable plate, the bane of any self-respecting vegetarian's existence). Enter Central Avenue Bakery. Perusing the menu, you'll be hard-pressed to make a decision. Among other things, this night, five dairy-free soup specials are offered, along with three salad specials, and two delectable sounding desserts to amplify the impressive assortment of goodies in the pastry case. I like the potato, onion and cheese pirozhki, although we agree it looks more like a calzone (my memories of pirozhkis more closely resemble potstickers). The whole wheat crust is a bit dry, but I love the steamy, moist potatoey filling ($5.50). The salad specials are less impressive, although fresh

and inventive. The raw quinoa salad nearly matches the Israeli salad (chopped peppers, tomato and cucumber in a light vinaigrette), with a sprinkling of the tiny beady grain on top. The nutburger is the big hit (we add toppings of pepper Jack, tomato, avocado and green olives) for $8.50. It's as tasty as a hamburger, with a satisfying chewy consistency. We choose as the perfect answer to a bun the farmer's bread. I want to try the vegan cheese sampler, which comes highly recommended, but it's a little pricey (small, $10.50; large, $12.50), especially given the gluttonous spread we just consumed. We wave goodbye, toting loaves of cinnamon bread to the curb as little souvenirs. Mike Hale and Melissa Snyder approach their reviews from a couple's perspective. All visits are made anonymously. Comment at tablefortwo! CENTRAL AVENUE BAKERY 173 Central Ave., Pacific Grove, 373-2000 ·Hours:

weekdays, 7 a.m.-8 p.m.; Sat., 8 a.m.-8 p.m.; Sun., 8 a.m.-7 p.m. ·Cards: all major ·Wheelchair access: yes ·Bar: no ·Price range: $5.50-$12.50 ·Web site: www.centralavenuebakery.com ·Pluses: Variety for vegetarians/vegans; homemade bread; breakfast served all day; personal service; mostly organic; special selections ·Minuses: Some dishes lackluster, deli-style ambience, curbside parking ·The bottom line: Thoughtful variety of fresh, vegetarian-friendly offerings that tempt meat-eaters, as well. Peter H

Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less, sign up for your free

account today.

Guest guest

pacific grove california

near monterey...

peter VV May 10, 2007 1:47 PM Re: Sweetness, meatless

Vegas?

Central Avenue Bakery in Pacific Grove goes 'green' on several levels

The Monterey County Herald

Article Last Updated: 05/10/2007 01:38:39 AM PDT

var requestedWidth = 0; viewer_currentlySelected = 1; viewer_lastIndex = 1; viewer_images = ['http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site570/2007/0510/20070510__go.central.0510~1_Viewer.jpg']; viewer_widths = ['200']; viewer_heights = ['135']; viewer_captions = ["From left: Eefje Theeuws, David Leroy and Michael Bliss order lunch... (ORVILLE MYERS/The Herald)"]; viewer_galleryUrl = '/portlet/article/html/render_gallery.jsp'; viewer_articleId = '5861010'; viewer_siteId = '570'; viewer_isPreviewing = 'false'; viewer_isEmbedded = ''; viewer_activeButtonLead = 2; viewer_visibleButtonCount = 5; viewer_allowEnlargement = !isEmpty(viewer_galleryUrl); selectImage(1); function addToDimension(dim, val){ index = dim.indexOf('px'); if(index != -1){ dim = dim.substring(0, index); } dim = parseInt(dim) + val; return dim; } if(navigator.userAgent.indexOf("MSIE") != -1){ $('photoviewer').style.width = addToDimension($('photoviewer').style.width, 2); $('caption').style.height = addToDimension($('caption').style.height, 2); } requestedWidth = 202; if(requestedWidth > 0){ document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.width = requestedWidth + "px"; document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.margin = "0px 0px 10px 10px"; } You never know what can happen when two neighbors, each disenchanted with her job and searching for something new, get together to commiserate over coffee. They might just try to change the world — one vegan nutburger at a time. Two years ago, next-door neighbors Tina Thompson and Rebecca Pieken put their heads together and discovered shared passions — cooking and the environment. The result is Central Avenue Bakery in Pacific Grove, a multipurpose vegetarian and vegan deli/restaurant/ coffeehouse/hangout, serving food that is — according to their business card — "mostly organic and always delicious." In April 2005, the friends opened their bread-based business in the same space that, ironically, previously housed Carb Busters Deli, which died along with the Atkins Diet. The Bakery evolved slowly, first serving sandwiches on fresh-baked bread, along with deli fare, before expanding to full breakfasts (served all day), salads, soups, pizzas, quiche, lasagna, pirozhkis and much more. And no meat. Ever. "Our philosophy was always healthful, wholesome and delicious," said Pieken, who's not even a vegetarian but admires the lifestyle. "I think we've proven you can serve great food without meat." Choices among breads include the bakery's popular seven-grain, four-seed farmer's bread, as well as a few gluten-free and vegan varieties. The cheeses are made without rennet (derived from the stomach of a calf) and dairy-free vegan cheeses are made in-house.

As for the nutburger, it's a housemade, ground concoction of nuts (including macadamia, cashew, almond and pecan) and vegetables formed into a patty and grilled. Being "green" is important to Pieken and Thompson, who grind their own flour from organic grains; compost their green waste; use dishes, silver and linens to avoid paper products; and shop at local farmers markets, buying organic whenever it's fiscally feasible. The front of the house features a sitting/reading area, complete with comfy couch and a mini library and game table. Fresh flowers abound, completing the picture as a welcoming respite. |HE SAID| Living by my Montana-born father's culinary mantra, "If ya ain't et meat, ya ain't et," I feared the horrors I might encounter inside the Central Avenue Bakery. In the end, however, I realized my greatest fear — actually liking quite a bit of what I consumed. As I walk up to the bakery window, adorned with hanging pieces of stained-glass art, I imagine coaxing my conservative father inside this "hippie joint." The first challenge would be to avert his eyes from a white car out front with an "Impeach Bush" bumper sticker. Or the Yoga Sanctuary across the street. Or convincing him to eat a bowl of chili sin carne. To my surprise, the chili stands up to my family's high standards, meat or no meat. It's thick and rich, employing large, fresh tomato chunks, whole black beans, sweet onions and some of the bakery's famous nutburger as a binder. The secret here is the addition of barbecue sauce, which provides some sweetness and a bit of zip. Four of us share an abundance of everything — salads, soups, pirozhkis, lasagna, quiche and a few other samplings lost in memory. Most draw enthusiastic approval, with only a few clunkers. The chili rocks — four spoons obliterating the house favorite. The nutburger surprises us all, including Tony, our resident outspoken vegetarian. Its texture is meatlike, crisp outside and moist inside. The white-bean salad draws raves, although the navy beans are a bit undercooked. I have the curry soup to myself, the others giving it a lukewarm response. It's nicely balanced, the coconut milk not an overly rich component, but rather a nice undertone. The garbanzo beans, tomatoes and spinach add nice layers and I enjoy the spicy kick. The hummus is a huge hit — actually, upon reflection, the best I've ever tasted — smooth, creamy, with subtle garlic shining through. Among the slight disappointments for me were the tomato-spinach quiche (watery) and the pirozhkis (bland, dry and crying out for a dipping sauce). |SHE SAID| Honestly, I could be a vegetarian — right up until I walk past RG Burger. My friend Tricia says it's OK not to be totally committed; you can be a part-time vegetarian, she says, and feel no guilt. I admire the commitment, though, whether made on the basis of health-conscious, philosophical or visceral concerns. My reasons are purely preferential, I admit. I gravitate to vegetarian options because I think flavors tend to be more delicate, fresh and creative (hold that ridiculously tired, steamed-within-an-inch- of-its-life vegetable plate, the bane of any self-respecting vegetarian's existence). Enter Central Avenue Bakery. Perusing the menu, you'll be hard-pressed to make a decision. Among other things, this night, five dairy-free soup specials are offered, along with three salad specials, and two delectable sounding desserts to amplify the impressive assortment of goodies in the pastry case. I like the potato, onion and cheese pirozhki, although we agree it looks more like a calzone (my memories of pirozhkis more closely resemble potstickers). The whole wheat crust is a bit dry, but I love the steamy, moist potatoey filling ($5.50). The salad specials are less impressive, although fresh and inventive. The raw quinoa salad nearly matches the Israeli salad (chopped peppers, tomato and cucumber in a light vinaigrette), with a sprinkling of the tiny beady grain on top. The nutburger is the big hit (we add toppings of pepper Jack, tomato, avocado and green olives) for $8.50. It's as tasty as a hamburger, with a satisfying chewy consistency. We choose as the perfect answer to a bun the farmer's bread. I want to try the vegan cheese sampler, which comes highly recommended, but it's a little pricey (small, $10.50; large, $12.50), especially given the gluttonous spread we just consumed. We wave goodbye, toting loaves of cinnamon bread to the curb as little souvenirs.

Mike Hale and Melissa Snyder approach their reviews from a couple's perspective. All visits are made anonymously. Comment at tablefortwo!

CENTRAL AVENUE BAKERY 173 Central Ave., Pacific Grove, 373-2000 ·Hours: weekdays, 7 a.m.-8 p.m.; Sat., 8 a.m.-8 p.m.; Sun., 8 a.m.-7 p.m. ·Cards: all major ·Wheelchair access: yes ·Bar: no ·Price range: $5.50-$12.50 ·Web site: www.centralavenuebakery.com ·Pluses: Variety for vegetarians/vegans; homemade bread; breakfast served all day; personal service; mostly organic; special selections ·Minuses: Some dishes lackluster, deli-style ambience, curbside parking ·The bottom line: Thoughtful variety of fresh, vegetarian-friendly offerings that tempt meat-eaters, as well.

Peter H

Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less, sign up for your free account today.

There is power in a factory, power in the land

Power in the hands of a worker

But it all amounts to nothing if together we don't stand

There is power in a Union

Now the lessons of the past were all learned with workers' blood

The mistakes of the bosses we must pay for

From the cities and the farmlands to trenches full of mud

War has always been the bosses' way, sir

Guest guest

Now yer just showing off! The Valley Vegan............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: pacific grove california near monterey... peter VV May 10, 2007 1:47 PM Re: Sweetness, meatless Vegas? Central Avenue Bakery in Pacific Grove goes 'green' on several levels The Monterey County Herald Article Last Updated: 05/10/2007 01:38:39 AM PDT var requestedWidth = 0; viewer_currentlySelected = 1; viewer_lastIndex = 1; viewer_images = ['http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site570/2007/0510/20070510__go.central.0510~1_Viewer.jpg']; viewer_widths = ['200']; viewer_heights =

['135']; viewer_captions = ["From left: Eefje Theeuws, David Leroy and Michael Bliss order lunch... (ORVILLE MYERS/The Herald)"]; viewer_galleryUrl = '/portlet/article/html/render_gallery.jsp'; viewer_articleId = '5861010'; viewer_siteId = '570'; viewer_isPreviewing = 'false'; viewer_isEmbedded = ''; viewer_activeButtonLead = 2; viewer_visibleButtonCount = 5; viewer_allowEnlargement = !isEmpty(viewer_galleryUrl); selectImage(1); function addToDimension(dim, val){ index = dim.indexOf('px'); if(index != -1){ dim = dim.substring(0, index); } dim = parseInt(dim) + val; return dim; } if(navigator.userAgent.indexOf("MSIE") != -1){ $('photoviewer').style.width = addToDimension($('photoviewer').style.width, 2); $('caption').style.height = addToDimension($('caption').style.height, 2); } requestedWidth = 202; if(requestedWidth > 0){

document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.width = requestedWidth + "px"; document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.margin = "0px 0px 10px 10px"; } You never know what can happen when two neighbors, each disenchanted with her job and searching for something new, get together to commiserate over coffee. They might just try to change the world — one vegan nutburger at a time. Two years ago, next-door neighbors Tina Thompson and Rebecca Pieken put their heads together and discovered shared passions — cooking and the environment. The result is Central Avenue Bakery in Pacific Grove, a multipurpose vegetarian and vegan deli/restaurant/ coffeehouse/hangout, serving food that is — according to their business card — "mostly organic and always delicious." In April 2005, the friends opened their bread-based business in the same space that, ironically, previously housed Carb Busters Deli, which

died along with the Atkins Diet. The Bakery evolved slowly, first serving sandwiches on fresh-baked bread, along with deli fare, before expanding to full breakfasts (served all day), salads, soups, pizzas, quiche, lasagna, pirozhkis and much more. And no meat. Ever. "Our philosophy was always healthful, wholesome and delicious," said Pieken, who's not even a vegetarian but admires the lifestyle. "I think we've proven you can serve great food without meat." Choices among breads include the bakery's popular seven-grain, four-seed farmer's bread, as well as a few gluten-free and vegan varieties. The cheeses are made without rennet (derived from the stomach of a calf) and dairy-free vegan cheeses are made in-house. As for the nutburger, it's a housemade, ground concoction of nuts (including macadamia, cashew, almond and pecan) and vegetables formed into a patty and grilled. Being "green" is important to Pieken and Thompson, who

grind their own flour from organic grains; compost their green waste; use dishes, silver and linens to avoid paper products; and shop at local farmers markets, buying organic whenever it's fiscally feasible. The front of the house features a sitting/reading area, complete with comfy couch and a mini library and game table. Fresh flowers abound, completing the picture as a welcoming respite. |HE SAID| Living by my Montana-born father's culinary mantra, "If ya ain't et meat, ya ain't et," I feared the horrors I might encounter inside the Central Avenue Bakery. In the end, however, I realized my greatest fear — actually liking quite a bit of what I consumed. As I walk up to the bakery window, adorned with hanging pieces of stained-glass art, I imagine coaxing my conservative father inside this "hippie joint." The first challenge would be to avert his eyes from a white car out front with an "Impeach Bush" bumper sticker. Or the Yoga Sanctuary

across the street. Or convincing him to eat a bowl of chili sin carne. To my surprise, the chili stands up to my family's high standards, meat or no meat. It's thick and rich, employing large, fresh tomato chunks, whole black beans, sweet onions and some of the bakery's famous nutburger as a binder. The secret here is the addition of barbecue sauce, which provides some sweetness and a bit of zip. Four of us share an abundance of everything — salads, soups, pirozhkis, lasagna, quiche and a few other samplings lost in memory. Most draw enthusiastic approval, with only a few clunkers. The chili rocks — four spoons obliterating the house favorite. The nutburger surprises us all, including Tony, our resident outspoken vegetarian. Its texture is meatlike, crisp outside and moist inside. The white-bean salad draws raves, although the navy beans are a bit undercooked. I have the curry soup to myself, the others giving it a lukewarm response. It's nicely

balanced, the coconut milk not an overly rich component, but rather a nice undertone. The garbanzo beans, tomatoes and spinach add nice layers and I enjoy the spicy kick. The hummus is a huge hit — actually, upon reflection, the best I've ever tasted — smooth, creamy, with subtle garlic shining through. Among the slight disappointments for me were the tomato-spinach quiche (watery) and the pirozhkis (bland, dry and crying out for a dipping sauce). |SHE SAID| Honestly, I could be a vegetarian — right up until I walk past RG Burger. My friend Tricia says it's OK not to be totally committed; you can be a part-time vegetarian, she says, and feel no guilt. I admire the commitment, though, whether made on the basis of health-conscious, philosophical or visceral concerns. My reasons are purely preferential, I admit. I gravitate to vegetarian options because I think flavors tend to be more delicate, fresh and creative (hold that ridiculously

tired, steamed-within-an-inch- of-its-life vegetable plate, the bane of any self-respecting vegetarian's existence). Enter Central Avenue Bakery. Perusing the menu, you'll be hard-pressed to make a decision. Among other things, this night, five dairy-free soup specials are offered, along with three salad specials, and two delectable sounding desserts to amplify the impressive assortment of goodies in the pastry case. I like the potato, onion and cheese pirozhki, although we agree it looks more like a calzone (my memories of pirozhkis more closely resemble potstickers). The whole wheat crust is a bit dry, but I love the steamy, moist potatoey filling ($5.50). The salad specials are less impressive, although fresh and inventive. The raw quinoa salad nearly matches the Israeli salad (chopped peppers, tomato and cucumber in a light vinaigrette), with a sprinkling of the tiny beady grain on top. The nutburger is the big hit (we add toppings

of pepper Jack, tomato, avocado and green olives) for $8.50. It's as tasty as a hamburger, with a satisfying chewy consistency. We choose as the perfect answer to a bun the farmer's bread. I want to try the vegan cheese sampler, which comes highly recommended, but it's a little pricey (small, $10.50; large, $12.50), especially given the gluttonous spread we just consumed. We wave goodbye, toting loaves of cinnamon bread to the curb as little souvenirs. Mike Hale and Melissa Snyder approach their reviews from a couple's perspective. All visits are made anonymously. Comment at tablefortwo (AT) sbcglobal (DOT) net.GO! CENTRAL AVENUE BAKERY 173 Central Ave., Pacific Grove, 373-2000 ·Hours: weekdays, 7 a.m.-8 p.m.; Sat., 8 a.m.-8 p.m.; Sun., 8 a.m.-7 p.m. ·Cards: all major ·Wheelchair access: yes ·Bar: no ·Price range: $5.50-$12.50 ·Web site: www.centralavenuebakery.com ·Pluses: Variety for

vegetarians/vegans; homemade bread; breakfast served all day; personal service; mostly organic; special selections ·Minuses: Some dishes lackluster, deli-style ambience, curbside parking ·The bottom line: Thoughtful variety of fresh, vegetarian-friendly offerings that tempt meat-eaters, as well. Peter H Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less, sign up for your free account today. There is power in a factory, power in the land Power in the hands of a worker But it all amounts to nothing if together we don't stand There is power in a Union Now the lessons of the past were all learned with workers' blood The mistakes of the bosses we must pay for From the cities and the farmlands to trenches full of mud War has always been the bosses' way, sir Peter H

New Mail is the ultimate force in competitive emailing. Find out more at the Mail Championships. Plus: play games and win prizes.

Guest guest

oh come on

it said so right in the article!

peter VV May 11, 2007 1:19 PM Re: Sweetness, meatless

Now yer just showing off!

The Valley Vegan............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

pacific grove california

near monterey...

peter VV May 10, 2007 1:47 PM Re: Sweetness, meatless

Vegas?

Central Avenue Bakery in Pacific Grove goes 'green' on several levels

The Monterey County Herald

Article Last Updated: 05/10/2007 01:38:39 AM PDT

var requestedWidth = 0; viewer_currentlySelected = 1; viewer_lastIndex = 1; viewer_images = ['http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site570/2007/0510/20070510__go.central.0510~1_Viewer.jpg']; viewer_widths = ['200']; viewer_heights = ['135']; viewer_captions = ["From left: Eefje Theeuws, David Leroy and Michael Bliss order lunch... (ORVILLE MYERS/The Herald)"]; viewer_galleryUrl = '/portlet/article/html/render_gallery.jsp'; viewer_articleId = '5861010'; viewer_siteId = '570'; viewer_isPreviewing = 'false'; viewer_isEmbedded = ''; viewer_activeButtonLead = 2; viewer_visibleButtonCount = 5; viewer_allowEnlargement = !isEmpty(viewer_galleryUrl); selectImage(1); function addToDimension(dim, val){ index = dim.indexOf('px'); if(index != -1){ dim = dim.substring(0, index); } dim = parseInt(dim) + val; return dim; } if(navigator.userAgent.indexOf("MSIE") != -1){ $('photoviewer').style.width = addToDimension($('photoviewer').style.width, 2); $('caption').style.height = addToDimension($('caption').style.height, 2); } requestedWidth = 202; if(requestedWidth > 0){ document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.width = requestedWidth + "px"; document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.margin = "0px 0px 10px 10px"; } You never know what can happen when two neighbors, each disenchanted with her job and searching for something new, get together to commiserate over coffee. They might just try to change the world — one vegan nutburger at a time. Two years ago, next-door neighbors Tina Thompson and Rebecca Pieken put their heads together and discovered shared passions — cooking and the environment. The result is Central Avenue Bakery in Pacific Grove, a multipurpose vegetarian and vegan deli/restaurant/ coffeehouse/hangout, serving food that is — according to their business card — "mostly organic and always delicious." In April 2005, the friends opened their bread-based business in the same space that, ironically, previously housed Carb Busters Deli, which died along with the Atkins Diet. The Bakery evolved slowly, first serving sandwiches on fresh-baked bread, along with deli fare, before expanding to full breakfasts (served all day), salads, soups, pizzas, quiche, lasagna, pirozhkis and much more. And no meat. Ever. "Our philosophy was always healthful, wholesome and delicious," said Pieken, who's not even a vegetarian but admires the lifestyle. "I think we've proven you can serve great food without meat." Choices among breads include the bakery's popular seven-grain, four-seed farmer's bread, as well as a few gluten-free and vegan varieties. The cheeses are made without rennet (derived from the stomach of a calf) and dairy-free vegan cheeses are made in-house.

As for the nutburger, it's a housemade, ground concoction of nuts (including macadamia, cashew, almond and pecan) and vegetables formed into a patty and grilled. Being "green" is important to Pieken and Thompson, who grind their own flour from organic grains; compost their green waste; use dishes, silver and linens to avoid paper products; and shop at local farmers markets, buying organic whenever it's fiscally feasible. The front of the house features a sitting/reading area, complete with comfy couch and a mini library and game table. Fresh flowers abound, completing the picture as a welcoming respite. |HE SAID| Living by my Montana-born father's culinary mantra, "If ya ain't et meat, ya ain't et," I feared the horrors I might encounter inside the Central Avenue Bakery. In the end, however, I realized my greatest fear — actually liking quite a bit of what I consumed. As I walk up to the bakery window, adorned with hanging pieces of stained-glass art, I imagine coaxing my conservative father inside this "hippie joint." The first challenge would be to avert his eyes from a white car out front with an "Impeach Bush" bumper sticker. Or the Yoga Sanctuary across the street. Or convincing him to eat a bowl of chili sin carne. To my surprise, the chili stands up to my family's high standards, meat or no meat. It's thick and rich, employing large, fresh tomato chunks, whole black beans, sweet onions and some of the bakery's famous nutburger as a binder. The secret here is the addition of barbecue sauce, which provides some sweetness and a bit of zip. Four of us share an abundance of everything — salads, soups, pirozhkis, lasagna, quiche and a few other samplings lost in memory. Most draw enthusiastic approval, with only a few clunkers. The chili rocks — four spoons obliterating the house favorite. The nutburger surprises us all, including Tony, our resident outspoken vegetarian. Its texture is meatlike, crisp outside and moist inside. The white-bean salad draws raves, although the navy beans are a bit undercooked. I have the curry soup to myself, the others giving it a lukewarm response. It's nicely balanced, the coconut milk not an overly rich component, but rather a nice undertone. The garbanzo beans, tomatoes and spinach add nice layers and I enjoy the spicy kick. The hummus is a huge hit — actually, upon reflection, the best I've ever tasted — smooth, creamy, with subtle garlic shining through. Among the slight disappointments for me were the tomato-spinach quiche (watery) and the pirozhkis (bland, dry and crying out for a dipping sauce). |SHE SAID| Honestly, I could be a vegetarian — right up until I walk past RG Burger. My friend Tricia says it's OK not to be totally committed; you can be a part-time vegetarian, she says, and feel no guilt. I admire the commitment, though, whether made on the basis of health-conscious, philosophical or visceral concerns. My reasons are purely preferential, I admit. I gravitate to vegetarian options because I think flavors tend to be more delicate, fresh and creative (hold that ridiculously tired, steamed-within-an-inch- of-its-life vegetable plate, the bane of any self-respecting vegetarian's existence). Enter Central Avenue Bakery. Perusing the menu, you'll be hard-pressed to make a decision. Among other things, this night, five dairy-free soup specials are offered, along with three salad specials, and two delectable sounding desserts to amplify the impressive assortment of goodies in the pastry case. I like the potato, onion and cheese pirozhki, although we agree it looks more like a calzone (my memories of pirozhkis more closely resemble potstickers). The whole wheat crust is a bit dry, but I love the steamy, moist potatoey filling ($5.50). The salad specials are less impressive, although fresh and inventive. The raw quinoa salad nearly matches the Israeli salad (chopped peppers, tomato and cucumber in a light vinaigrette), with a sprinkling of the tiny beady grain on top. The nutburger is the big hit (we add toppings of pepper Jack, tomato, avocado and green olives) for $8.50. It's as tasty as a hamburger, with a satisfying chewy consistency. We choose as the perfect answer to a bun the farmer's bread. I want to try the vegan cheese sampler, which comes highly recommended, but it's a little pricey (small, $10.50; large, $12.50), especially given the gluttonous spread we just consumed. We wave goodbye, toting loaves of cinnamon bread to the curb as little souvenirs.

Mike Hale and Melissa Snyder approach their reviews from a couple's perspective. All visits are made anonymously. Comment at tablefortwo (AT) sbcglobal (DOT) net.GO!

CENTRAL AVENUE BAKERY 173 Central Ave., Pacific Grove, 373-2000 ·Hours: weekdays, 7 a.m.-8 p.m.; Sat., 8 a.m.-8 p.m.; Sun., 8 a.m.-7 p.m. ·Cards: all major ·Wheelchair access: yes ·Bar: no ·Price range: $5.50-$12.50 ·Web site: www.centralavenuebakery.com ·Pluses: Variety for vegetarians/vegans; homemade bread; breakfast served all day; personal service; mostly organic; special selections ·Minuses: Some dishes lackluster, deli-style ambience, curbside parking ·The bottom line: Thoughtful variety of fresh, vegetarian-friendly offerings that tempt meat-eaters, as well.

Peter H

Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less, sign up for your free account today. There is power in a factory, power in the land Power in the hands of a worker But it all amounts to nothing if together we don't stand There is power in a Union Now the lessons of the past were all learned with workers' blood The mistakes of the bosses we must pay for From the cities and the farmlands to trenches full of mud War has always been the bosses' way, sir

Peter H

New Mail is the ultimate force in competitive emailing. Find out more at the Mail Championships. Plus: play games and win prizes.

There is power in a factory, power in the land

Power in the hands of a worker

But it all amounts to nothing if together we don't stand

There is power in a Union

Now the lessons of the past were all learned with workers' blood

The mistakes of the bosses we must pay for

From the cities and the farmlands to trenches full of mud

War has always been the bosses' way, sir