Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

As I write this there is an Flash ad for McDonald's new milkshake

products playing at the top of the page. Is there anyway we could ask

not to aim advertising for meat and dairy (and unpleasant

corporations generally) in this group?

Guest guest

HiUnfortunately will pretty much advertise what they like! Although it is rather amusin that McD* are wasting their money on us!BBPeterOn 14/06/07,

vsuk2007 <dodgyid123 wrote:

As I write this there is an Flash ad for McDonald's new milkshakeproducts playing at the top of the page. Is there anyway we could ask not to aim advertising for meat and dairy (and unpleasantcorporations generally) in this group?

To send an email to -

Guest guest

I hadn't thought of it that way - it is amusing.

BBJo

-

Peter Kebbell

Thursday, June 14, 2007 5:56 PM

Re: Non-vegan Advertising Messages

HiUnfortunately will pretty much advertise what they like! Although it is rather amusin that McD* are wasting their money on us!BBPeter

On 14/06/07, vsuk2007 <dodgyid123 wrote:

As I write this there is an Flash ad for McDonald's new milkshakeproducts playing at the top of the page. Is there anyway we could ask not to aim advertising for meat and dairy (and unpleasantcorporations generally) in this group? To send an email to -

Guest guest

you could write , but doubt it would do much

Those ads appear across all their groups. its a general ad, and i doubt is going to spend money on tailoring ads to specific group sites

could just get your mail sent to your e-mail address

:)

along the same lines, here's a bunk letter i got from GRIST:

Hi Fraggle (sorry, I don’t know your real name),

First, a sincere thank you for sharing your feedback about the GE ads with us. I hope an explanation of Grist's ad policy will be enough to move us back into your good graces.

The revenue we receive from advertising is vital to continuing our independent coverage of environmental issues. We assure you that advertisers have no influence whatsoever on our editorial content; our writers and editors will always be free to call it as they see it. In order to maintain our unbiased, independent coverage of environmental news, it is important that we draw a firm line between ad sales and editorial.

Although it might seem counterintuitive, this is exactly why we do not filter ads based on whether we agree or disagree with their content. Put simply, rejection of ads we disagree with would imply endorsement of the ads we do run. We firmly maintain that our readers are more intelligent than the average website reader, and, as such, we leave it up to you to decide whether or not you agree with the ads, and ignore, close, or click-thru as you see fit.

Further, we are trying very hard to acclimate Grist readers to an ad policy that is similar to any offline magazine you might read. If you're like me, there are many ads in the magazines you read that you do not agree with, but as long-time magazine readers we know that the ads that run are not an endorsement of the products that are advertised.

If you’re interested, check out our ad policy for the advertising standards we have in place:

http://www.grist.org/about/advertising/.

Thank you again for sharing your concerns with us, and for your obvious commitment to the environment. Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Holly

vsuk2007 Jun 14, 2007 5:16 AM Non-vegan Advertising Messages

As I write this there is an Flash ad for McDonald's new milkshakeproducts playing at the top of the page. Is there anyway we could ask not to aim advertising for meat and dairy (and unpleasantcorporations generally) in this group?

When I see the price that you pay

I don't wanna grow up

I don't ever want to be that way

I don't wanna grow up

Seems that folks turn into things

that they never want

Guest guest

Dont talk to me about , first it tells me that I cant post to this group because I am not amemeber and to re-enroll, now I have I am getting two of every piggin posts.................GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! The Valley Vegan..............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: you could write , but doubt it would do much Those ads appear across all their groups. its a general ad, and i doubt is going to spend money on tailoring ads to specific group

sites could just get your mail sent to your e-mail address :) along the same lines, here's a bunk letter i got from GRIST: Hi Fraggle (sorry, I don’t know your real name), First, a sincere thank you for sharing your feedback about the GE ads with us. I hope an explanation of Grist's ad policy will be enough to move us back into your good graces. The revenue we receive from advertising is vital to continuing our independent coverage of environmental issues. We assure you that advertisers have no influence whatsoever on our editorial content; our writers and editors will always be free to call it as they see it. In order to maintain our unbiased, independent coverage of environmental news, it is important that we draw a firm line between ad sales and editorial. Although it might seem counterintuitive, this is exactly why we do not filter ads based on whether we agree or disagree with their content. Put simply, rejection of ads we disagree with would imply endorsement of the ads we do run. We firmly

maintain that our readers are more intelligent than the average website reader, and, as such, we leave it up to you to decide whether or not you agree with the ads, and ignore, close, or click-thru as you see fit. Further, we are trying very hard to acclimate Grist readers to an ad policy that is similar to any offline magazine you might read. If you're like me, there are many ads in the magazines you read that you do not agree with, but as long-time magazine readers we know that the ads that run are not an endorsement of the products that are advertised. If you’re interested, check out our ad policy for the advertising standards we have in place: http://www.grist.org/about/advertising/. Thank you again for sharing your concerns with us, and for your obvious commitment to the environment. Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions or concerns. Sincerely, Holly vsuk2007 Jun 14, 2007 5:16 AM Non-vegan Advertising Messages As I write this there is an Flash ad for McDonald's new milkshakeproducts playing at the top of the page. Is there anyway we could ask not to aim advertising for meat and dairy (and unpleasantcorporations generally) in

this group? When I see the price that you pay I don't wanna grow up I don't ever want to be that way I don't wanna grow up Seems that folks turn into things that they never want Peter H

Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less, sign up for your free

account today.