> > Silas, 16, Victoria, Brazil.

>

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

The official definition for straight edge in Brazil is given in these pages: www.veganpride.com and www.verdurada.org A straight edge is someone who don't have casual sex, do drugs, smoke or drink, and most straight edge people are vegan. "Verdurada" is the name of the most famous straight edge and vegan event in Brazil, wich is a kind of punk show that includes vegan food and videos. Obviously it's forbidden to smoke or drink in that event. Verduradas have been the most powerful in spreading veganism, but, unfortunately, verduradas are only for punks or straight edgers. I don't feel at home in a punk show, or in a str8 edge group. It's really rare to find a str8 edge person who is not at least lacto-ovo-vegetarian. Vegans who don't do drugs, smoke, drink or

have casual sex are not necessarily straight edge, because they may dislike "verduradas" and other str8 edge stuff (especially punk music). As a member and volunteer for Brazilian Vegetarian Society, I have to get acquainted with straight edge groups. Thought they're not helpful to any organization, they're capable of spreading vegetarianism and veganism much more than all vegan organizations combined. Last year our national vegetarian society spent a lot of money with verduradas, because str8 edge groups deserve and need our help - no matter how disorganized they may be. Silas heartwerk <jo.heartwork escreveu: Most vegans here are not straight edge - they seem to like their drink, although I think most of them don't smoke. I must admit that

I thought straight edge meant a vegan who didn't drink, smoke, do drugs or have casual sex. I didn't realise you could have non-vegan straight edge ??? It seems to defeat the object if they are not vegan as well.Jo , Silas Cordeiro Pascoal wrote:>> No problem with str8 edge vegans. They are punkers who don't smoke or drink, but aren't the most sociable guys. They aren't interested in helping any organization, even if it's vegan. Maybe that's why there's no vegan society in Brazil. Str8 edgers have been the most easy-to-find vegans near here.> > Vegans who are not str8 edge are often considered str8 edge just because they're vegan. Many meat eaters, or even vegetarians don't know the difference between vegan and straight edge, because most vegans are str8 edge. I'm not, because I love drinking wine and dislike the punk

style.> > > Silas, 16, Victoria, Brazil.> Brazilian Vegetarian Society coordinator for the Espirito Santo estate www.svb.org.br> Animal Rights activist in www.amaes.org.br> Vegan http://www.guiavegano.com.br/galeria/displayimage.php?pos=-5230> Translator and member of the International Vegetarian Union www.ivu.org> Volunteer for the Vegan Society - UK www.vegansociety.com > Add me (MSN messenger): silasco > > > heartwerk escreveu:> Hi Silas> > Is it a problem to you that most of the vegans you met are straight > edge? I'm presuming by straight edge you mean they don't smoke, do > drugs or drink. > > Jo> > , Silas Cordeiro Pascoal > wrote:> >> > Hi> > > > I'm Silas, 16, from Victoria, Brazil. I had been

lacto-ovo-> vegetarian for some years and became vegan an year ago. Now I don't > have any vegetarian or vegan relative. My parents had been vegetarian > before I was born because of their religion (Adventist). That's why I > first decided to go vegetarian when I was 13, but last year I became > vegan due to my love to animals. I can't put up with animal > exploitation and cruelty. I have some friends who are vegetarian, and > have met some vegans I found in the internet near me (all the vegans > I found are Straight Edge).> > > > Today I can't say I'm vegan just "for the animals". Vegan food > makes me feel really well, and I think it's comfortable to be vegan. > The main problem is prejudice, but people arround me are learning to > deal with me without trouble.> > > > > > Sincerely,> > Silas, 16, Victoria,

Brazil.> > > > > To send an email to - >

Guest guest

the original str8 edge grew out of the punk movement in the early 80's. started in the DC area, and then spread outward...

in the beginning, it never had anything to do with being vegan......

later veganism moved onto the front page of a lot of str8 edgers...i think a lot of it only came into being after krishnaism became a big force in str8 in the mid to late 80's...

then it morphed into hardline

cheers

fraggle

heartwerk Jul 11, 2007 11:42 PM Re: Where do you live? STRAIGHT EDGE

Most vegans here are not straight edge - they seem to like their drink, although I think most of them don't smoke. I must admit that I thought straight edge meant a vegan who didn't drink, smoke, do drugs or have casual sex. I didn't realise you could have non-vegan straight edge ??? It seems to defeat the object if they are not vegan as well.Jo , Silas Cordeiro Pascoal <cordeiropascoal wrote:>> No problem with str8 edge vegans. They are punkers who don't smoke or drink, but aren't the most sociable guys. They aren't interested in helping any organization, even if it's vegan. Maybe that's why there's no vegan society in Brazil. Str8 edgers have been the most easy-to-find vegans near here.> > Vegans who are not str8 edge are often considered str8 edge just because they're vegan. Many meat eaters, or even vegetarians don't know the difference between vegan and straight edge, because most vegans are str8 edge. I'm not, because I love drinking wine and dislike the punk style.> > > Silas, 16, Victoria, Brazil.> Brazilian Vegetarian Society coordinator for the Espirito Santo estate www.svb.org.br> Animal Rights activist in www.amaes.org.br> Vegan http://www.guiavegano.com.br/galeria/displayimage.php?pos=-5230> Translator and member of the International Vegetarian Union www.ivu.org> Volunteer for the Vegan Society - UK www.vegansociety.com > Add me (MSN messenger): silasco > > > heartwerk <jo.heartwork escreveu:> Hi Silas> > Is it a problem to you that most of the vegans you met are straight > edge? I'm presuming by straight edge you mean they don't smoke, do > drugs or drink. > > Jo> > , Silas Cordeiro Pascoal > wrote:> >> > Hi> > > > I'm Silas, 16, from Victoria, Brazil. I had been lacto-ovo-> vegetarian for some years and became vegan an year ago. Now I don't > have any vegetarian or vegan relative. My parents had been vegetarian > before I was born because of their religion (Adventist). That's why I > first decided to go vegetarian when I was 13, but last year I became > vegan due to my love to animals. I can't put up with animal > exploitation and cruelty. I have some friends who are vegetarian, and > have met some vegans I found in the internet near me (all the vegans > I found are Straight Edge).> > > > Today I can't say I'm vegan just "for the animals". Vegan food > makes me feel really well, and I think it's comfortable to be vegan. > The main problem is prejudice, but people arround me are learning to > deal with me without trouble.> > > > > > Sincerely,> > Silas, 16, Victoria, Brazil.> > > > > To send an email to - >

Guest guest

It the same in argentina,

the majority of vegans are straight edge. So people assume that all

vegans are straight edge. Meaning no drugs, drink or casual sex.

sometimes it can feel like some sort of private club. Because of the

Punk Music Scene revolving around it. I don't see how someone older

who is not into punk would feel welcomed.

, Silas Cordeiro Pascoal

<cordeiropascoal wrote:

>

> The official definition for straight edge in Brazil is given in

these pages:

> www.veganpride.com and www.verdurada.org

> A straight edge is someone who don't have casual sex, do drugs,

smoke or drink, and most straight edge people are vegan.

> " Verdurada " is the name of the most famous straight edge and vegan

event in Brazil, wich is a kind of punk show that includes vegan food

and videos. Obviously it's forbidden to smoke or drink in that event.

>

>

Guest guest

flower child Jul 12, 2007 9:16 AM Re: Where do you live? STRAIGHT EDGE

It the same in argentina, the majority of vegans are straight edge. So people assume that allvegans are straight edge. Meaning no drugs, drink or casual sex.sometimes it can feel like some sort of private club. Because of thePunk Music Scene revolving around it. I don't see how someone olderwho is not into punk would feel welcomed. , Silas Cordeiro Pascoal<cordeiropascoal wrote:>> The official definition for straight edge in Brazil is given inthese pages:> www.veganpride.com and www.verdurada.org> A straight edge is someone who don't have casual sex, do drugs,smoke or drink, and most straight edge people are vegan.> "Verdurada" is the name of the most famous straight edge and veganevent in Brazil, wich is a kind of punk show that includes vegan foodand videos. Obviously it's forbidden to smoke or drink in that event.> >

When I see the price that you pay

I don't wanna grow up

I don't ever want to be that way

I don't wanna grow up

Seems that folks turn into things

that they never want

Guest guest

i don't beleive so

i don't think ian is vegan today even, tho he is veggie

his first bands (the slinkees and teen idols) both had songs "i drink milk", and nowhere in a minor threat song does he ever mention vegetarianism er veganism..from "out of step" thru "straight edge"

i read some interview with him awhile back where i thought he said he saw vegetarianism as a natural progression from his str8 edge beginnings..

could be wrong tho

AFAIK, vegetarianism in str8 edge began with the krishna influence on a number of bands, (Shelter, Youth of Today) then veganism took off later, with bands such as Vegan Reich and Earth Crisis

flower child Jul 12, 2007 9:33 AM Re: Where do you live? STRAIGHT EDGE

wasn't it that guy ian mackaye from minor threat who firstmade the connection with veganism and punk, then others followed? Ibelieve he talks about it in another state of mind, the movie withsocial d.

When I see the price that you pay

I don't wanna grow up

I don't ever want to be that way

I don't wanna grow up

Seems that folks turn into things

that they never want

Guest guest

Sorry, I can't understand what is written below Silas, 16, Victoria, Brazilflower child <zurumato escreveu: wasn't it that guy ian mackaye from minor threat who firstmade the connection with veganism and punk, then others followed? Ibelieve he talks about it in another state of mind, the movie withsocial d. To send an email to -

Guest guest

sorry Silas

she asked whether straight edge and veganism came together because of ian mackaye of the band minor threat.

Silas Cordeiro Pascoal Jul 12, 2007 5:10 PM Re: Re: Where do you live? STRAIGHT EDGE

Sorry, I can't understand what is written below

Silas, 16, Victoria, Brazilflower child <zurumato (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> escreveu:

wasn't it that guy ian mackaye from minor threat who firstmade the connection with veganism and punk, then others followed? Ibelieve he talks about it in another state of mind, the movie withsocial d. To send an email to -

Guest guest

thank you ;-) I gotta study morefraggle <EBbrewpunx escreveu: sorry Silas she asked whether straight edge and veganism came together because of ian mackaye of the band minor threat. Silas Cordeiro Pascoal Jul 12, 2007 5:10 PM Re: Re: Where do you live? STRAIGHT EDGE Sorry, I can't understand what is written below Silas, 16, Victoria, Brazilflower child <zurumato (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> escreveu: wasn't it that guy ian mackaye from minor threat who firstmade the connection with veganism and punk, then others followed? Ibelieve he talks about it in another state of mind, the movie withsocial d. To send an email to -