IndiaDivine.org

Something new, something green: Couples are honoring the environment when planning their weddings

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Theres a Gloucester in America? Gloucester Daily Times (page 1 of 2)View as a single page Jessica Stasinos of Peabody has been planning weddings for five years. Her work involves spending an average of 100 hours with brides and grooms making sure all their nuptial needs are met. This summer, she's facing a new challenge. Stasinos, who runs the Peabody event coordinator The Social Butterfly, is planning a vegan wedding. Every last detail of this wedding must be all-natural. "No animal products can be used, which I think is kind of neat," she says. "It's been interesting. It's kind of tough to find vegan (products)."Couples are taking their environmental concerns to the altar by planning "green"

and vegan weddings. They choose Earth-friendly options for some or all aspects of their ceremony, reception and even the honeymoon. It's a trend that started in California, says Stasinos, and has moved east. From the food to the favors, most elements of a wedding can go green in a time when people are becoming more environmentally aware."I think (the trend) stems from the state of the environment," says Alexis O'Mara of Unique Weddings by Alexis in Stoneham, which coordinates weddings all over New England. "The bride and groom are much more aware of the world they're going to be raising children in. They want it to be a better place."Linnea Tangorra of Tangorra Wedding Planning in Newburyport has several clients interested in green weddings. She and Stasinos each have been doing a lot of research on environmentally friendly weddings in preparation for interested clients."I was actually surprised at how many resources there are now," Tangorra

says. "A couple months ago, I could hardly find anything."In some cases, like Stasinos', the couples choose to go completely vegan. The bride and groom can opt for hemp dresses, rings made of recycled metal, wildflowers for centerpieces, and animal-free food. Going all-green at your wedding means doing big things - like opting for public transportation for you and your guests - and little things - asking guests who stay in hotels to use towels more than once, O'Mara says.To save energy and to fit the mood, these ceremonies are almost always outside, in spots like the beach, a garden or a park."These tend to be more relaxed days," says Pamela Chase of Boston wedding consultants Sophisticated Brides, who has planned two green weddings. "(One couple) had a volleyball net up. It was kind of a backyard party theme."Environmentally friendly weddings don't have to go to the vegan extreme; they can look and feel exactly like a traditional

extravagant wedding and be held at a first-class facility. Recycled gowns and jewelry, and eco-friendly facilities and services can appear the same as any wedding. "Can you be green and still be elegant? Yes," Stasinos says.However, planning such an event can take a little more time and money than an average wedding. Finding vendors to cater to the eco-friendly theme can take a while, so the wedding planning stage is a bit longer. Greenweddings.net suggests starting a solid year before the big day. Organic food is typically expensive, and providing food for a reception could get costly. "Right now, the average cost (of a wedding) is around $33,000," says Sonny Apotheker, Boston-area wedding DJ and co-author of the new book, "Shut-Up, I'm Walking Down the Aisle," which he wrote with wedding videographer Ron Van Dam. "Now, if you add special factors in, you can be talking 40 or 50 thousand.""The major thing is the organic food, which can be a

lot more expensive," Tangorra says. However, Stasinos says almost any caterer is prepared to put together an organic menu.Now is a good time to be planning a green wedding, too; autumn is an ideal time for a green wedding, because the season enhances the natural theme with a rustic feel, planners say."There lot of fall aspects you can use," Stasinos says.Newlyweds can keep it green after their big day, too. Couples can plan honeymoons that are eco-friendly, like camping trips or getaways to pro-environment hotels and resorts. The Green Hotels Association offers a list of lodging facilities that promote practices such as saving water and electricity, and reducing waste. The list includes spots across the county, as well as in the Caribbean and South America. In addition, the association suggests some eco-friendly travel tips: fly an airline that recycles waste, like Southwest Airlines; walk or use public transportation while at your

destination when you can; and ask the hotel staff not to change your sheets and towels every day. And if you're going green for your wedding, you won't be alone."It's the thing," Tangorra says. "I have people who continuously talk about it and we explore some ideas. We will be seeing more and more of it."Peter H

Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less, sign up for your free

account today.

Guest guest

there's one in massachusetts, and one in virginia

i assume this is the massachusetts one, judging from them saying Peabody...

Peter VV Jul 19, 2007 3:18 PM Re: Something new, something green: Couples are honoring the environment when planning their weddings

Theres a Gloucester in America?

Gloucester Daily Times

(page 1 of 2)View as a single page

Jessica Stasinos of Peabody has been planning weddings for five years. Her work involves spending an average of 100 hours with brides and grooms making sure all their nuptial needs are met. This summer, she's facing a new challenge. Stasinos, who runs the Peabody event coordinator The Social Butterfly, is planning a vegan wedding. Every last detail of this wedding must be all-natural. "No animal products can be used, which I think is kind of neat," she says. "It's been interesting. It's kind of tough to find vegan (products)."Couples are taking their environmental concerns to the altar by planning "green" and vegan weddings. They choose Earth-friendly options for some or all aspects of their ceremony, reception and even the honeymoon. It's a trend that started in California, says Stasinos, and has moved east. From the food to the favors, most elements of a wedding can go green in a time when people are becoming more environmentally aware."I think (the trend) stems from the state of the environment," says Alexis O'Mara of Unique Weddings by Alexis in Stoneham, which coordinates weddings all over New England. "The bride and groom are much more aware of the world they're going to be raising children in. They want it to be a better place."Linnea Tangorra of Tangorra Wedding Planning in Newburyport has several clients interested in green weddings. She and Stasinos each have been doing a lot of research on environmentally friendly weddings in preparation for interested clients."I was actually surprised at how many resources there are now," Tangorra says. "A couple months ago, I could hardly find anything."In some cases, like Stasinos', the couples choose to go completely vegan. The bride and groom can opt for hemp dresses, rings made of recycled metal, wildflowers for centerpieces, and animal-free food. Going all-green at your wedding means doing big things - like opting for public transportation for you and your guests - and little things - asking guests who stay in hotels to use towels more than once, O'Mara says.To save energy and to fit the mood, these ceremonies are almost always outside, in spots like the beach, a garden or a park."These tend to be more relaxed days," says Pamela Chase of Boston wedding consultants Sophisticated Brides, who has planned two green weddings. "(One couple) had a volleyball net up. It was kind of a backyard party theme."Environmentally friendly weddings don't have to go to the vegan extreme; they can look and feel exactly like a traditional extravagant wedding and be held at a first-class facility. Recycled gowns and jewelry, and eco-friendly facilities and services can appear the same as any wedding. "Can you be green and still be elegant? Yes," Stasinos says.However, planning such an event can take a little more time and money than an average wedding. Finding vendors to cater to the eco-friendly theme can take a while, so the wedding planning stage is a bit longer. Greenweddings.net suggests starting a solid year before the big day. Organic food is typically expensive, and providing food for a reception could get costly. "Right now, the average cost (of a wedding) is around $33,000," says Sonny Apotheker, Boston-area wedding DJ and co-author of the new book, "Shut-Up, I'm Walking Down the Aisle," which he wrote with wedding videographer Ron Van Dam. "Now, if you add special factors in, you can be talking 40 or 50 thousand.""The major thing is the organic food, which can be a lot more expensive," Tangorra says. However, Stasinos says almost any caterer is prepared to put together an organic menu.Now is a good time to be planning a green wedding, too; autumn is an ideal time for a green wedding, because the season enhances the natural theme with a rustic feel, planners say."There lot of fall aspects you can use," Stasinos says.Newlyweds can keep it green after their big day, too. Couples can plan honeymoons that are eco-friendly, like camping trips or getaways to pro-environment hotels and resorts. The Green Hotels Association offers a list of lodging facilities that promote practices such as saving water and electricity, and reducing waste. The list includes spots across the county, as well as in the Caribbean and South America. In addition, the association suggests some eco-friendly travel tips: fly an airline that recycles waste, like Southwest Airlines; walk or use public transportation while at your destination when you can; and ask the hotel staff not to change your sheets and towels every day. And if you're going green for your wedding, you won't be alone."It's the thing," Tangorra says. "I have people who continuously talk about it and we explore some ideas. We will be seeing more and more of it."

Peter H

Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less, sign up for your free account today.

When I see the price that you pay

I don't wanna grow up

I don't ever want to be that way

I don't wanna grow up

Seems that folks turn into things

that they never want

Guest guest

Someone overhead a group of Americans who were on holiday here,

saying how sweet it was that we named all our places after theirs -

LOL

Jo

, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

>

> Theres a Gloucester in America?

> Gloucester Daily Times

>

> (page 1 of 2)View as a single page

> Jessica Stasinos of Peabody has been planning weddings for five

years. Her work involves spending an average of 100 hours with brides

and grooms making sure all their nuptial needs are met.

>

> This summer, she's facing a new challenge. Stasinos, who runs the

Peabody event coordinator The Social Butterfly, is planning a vegan

wedding. Every last detail of this wedding must be all-natural.

>

> " No animal products can be used, which I think is kind of neat, "

she says. " It's been interesting. It's kind of tough to find vegan

(products). "

>

> Couples are taking their environmental concerns to the altar by

planning " green " and vegan weddings. They choose Earth-friendly

options for some or all aspects of their ceremony, reception and even

the honeymoon. It's a trend that started in California, says

Stasinos, and has moved east.

>

> From the food to the favors, most elements of a wedding can go

green in a time when people are becoming more environmentally aware.

>

> " I think (the trend) stems from the state of the environment, " says

Alexis O'Mara of Unique Weddings by Alexis in Stoneham, which

coordinates weddings all over New England. " The bride and groom are

much more aware of the world they're going to be raising children in.

They want it to be a better place. "

>

> Linnea Tangorra of Tangorra Wedding Planning in Newburyport has

several clients interested in green weddings. She and Stasinos each

have been doing a lot of research on environmentally friendly

weddings in preparation for interested clients.

>

> " I was actually surprised at how many resources there are now, "

Tangorra says. " A couple months ago, I could hardly find anything. "

>

> In some cases, like Stasinos', the couples choose to go completely

vegan. The bride and groom can opt for hemp dresses, rings made of

recycled metal, wildflowers for centerpieces, and animal-free food.

>

> Going all-green at your wedding means doing big things - like

opting for public transportation for you and your guests - and little

things - asking guests who stay in hotels to use towels more than

once, O'Mara says.

>

> To save energy and to fit the mood, these ceremonies are almost

always outside, in spots like the beach, a garden or a park.

>

> " These tend to be more relaxed days, " says Pamela Chase of Boston

wedding consultants Sophisticated Brides, who has planned two green

weddings. " (One couple) had a volleyball net up. It was kind of a

backyard party theme. "

> Environmentally friendly weddings don't have to go to the vegan

extreme; they can look and feel exactly like a traditional

extravagant wedding and be held at a first-class facility. Recycled

gowns and jewelry, and eco-friendly facilities and services can

appear the same as any wedding.

>

> " Can you be green and still be elegant? Yes, " Stasinos says.

>

> However, planning such an event can take a little more time and

money than an average wedding. Finding vendors to cater to the eco-

friendly theme can take a while, so the wedding planning stage is a

bit longer. Greenweddings.net suggests starting a solid year before

the big day. Organic food is typically expensive, and providing food

for a reception could get costly.

>

> " Right now, the average cost (of a wedding) is around $33,000, "

says Sonny Apotheker, Boston-area wedding DJ and co-author of the new

book, " Shut-Up, I'm Walking Down the Aisle, " which he wrote with

wedding videographer Ron Van Dam. " Now, if you add special factors

in, you can be talking 40 or 50 thousand. "

>

> " The major thing is the organic food, which can be a lot more

expensive, " Tangorra says.

>

> However, Stasinos says almost any caterer is prepared to put

together an organic menu.

>

> Now is a good time to be planning a green wedding, too; autumn is

an ideal time for a green wedding, because the season enhances the

natural theme with a rustic feel, planners say.

>

> " There lot of fall aspects you can use, " Stasinos says.

>

> Newlyweds can keep it green after their big day, too. Couples can

plan honeymoons that are eco-friendly, like camping trips or getaways

to pro-environment hotels and resorts. The Green Hotels Association

offers a list of lodging facilities that promote practices such as

saving water and electricity, and reducing waste. The list includes

spots across the county, as well as in the Caribbean and South

America.

>

> In addition, the association suggests some eco-friendly travel

tips: fly an airline that recycles waste, like Southwest Airlines;

walk or use public transportation while at your destination when you

can; and ask the hotel staff not to change your sheets and towels

every day.

>

> And if you're going green for your wedding, you won't be alone.

>

> " It's the thing, " Tangorra says. " I have people who continuously

talk about it and we explore some ideas. We will be seeing more and

more of it. "

>

>

>

> Peter H

>

>

>

>

> Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less,

>

Guest guest

How ethno-centric Americans can be, huh?

LOL

Marcy

-

heartwerk

Thursday, July 19, 2007 11:46 PM

Re: Something new, something green: Couples are honoring the environment when planning their weddings

Someone overhead a group of Americans who were on holiday here, saying how sweet it was that we named all our places after theirs - LOLJo , Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:>> Theres a Gloucester in America?> Gloucester Daily Times> > (page 1 of 2)View as a single page> Jessica Stasinos of Peabody has been planning weddings for five years. Her work involves spending an average of 100 hours with brides and grooms making sure all their nuptial needs are met. > > This summer, she's facing a new challenge. Stasinos, who runs the Peabody event coordinator The Social Butterfly, is planning a vegan wedding. Every last detail of this wedding must be all-natural. > > "No animal products can be used, which I think is kind of neat," she says. "It's been interesting. It's kind of tough to find vegan (products)."> > Couples are taking their environmental concerns to the altar by planning "green" and vegan weddings. They choose Earth-friendly options for some or all aspects of their ceremony, reception and even the honeymoon. It's a trend that started in California, says Stasinos, and has moved east. > > From the food to the favors, most elements of a wedding can go green in a time when people are becoming more environmentally aware.> > "I think (the trend) stems from the state of the environment," says Alexis O'Mara of Unique Weddings by Alexis in Stoneham, which coordinates weddings all over New England. "The bride and groom are much more aware of the world they're going to be raising children in. They want it to be a better place."> > Linnea Tangorra of Tangorra Wedding Planning in Newburyport has several clients interested in green weddings. She and Stasinos each have been doing a lot of research on environmentally friendly weddings in preparation for interested clients.> > "I was actually surprised at how many resources there are now," Tangorra says. "A couple months ago, I could hardly find anything."> > In some cases, like Stasinos', the couples choose to go completely vegan. The bride and groom can opt for hemp dresses, rings made of recycled metal, wildflowers for centerpieces, and animal-free food. > > Going all-green at your wedding means doing big things - like opting for public transportation for you and your guests - and little things - asking guests who stay in hotels to use towels more than once, O'Mara says.> > To save energy and to fit the mood, these ceremonies are almost always outside, in spots like the beach, a garden or a park.> > "These tend to be more relaxed days," says Pamela Chase of Boston wedding consultants Sophisticated Brides, who has planned two green weddings. "(One couple) had a volleyball net up. It was kind of a backyard party theme."> Environmentally friendly weddings don't have to go to the vegan extreme; they can look and feel exactly like a traditional extravagant wedding and be held at a first-class facility. Recycled gowns and jewelry, and eco-friendly facilities and services can appear the same as any wedding. > > "Can you be green and still be elegant? Yes," Stasinos says.> > However, planning such an event can take a little more time and money than an average wedding. Finding vendors to cater to the eco-friendly theme can take a while, so the wedding planning stage is a bit longer. Greenweddings.net suggests starting a solid year before the big day. Organic food is typically expensive, and providing food for a reception could get costly. > > "Right now, the average cost (of a wedding) is around $33,000," says Sonny Apotheker, Boston-area wedding DJ and co-author of the new book, "Shut-Up, I'm Walking Down the Aisle," which he wrote with wedding videographer Ron Van Dam. "Now, if you add special factors in, you can be talking 40 or 50 thousand."> > "The major thing is the organic food, which can be a lot more expensive," Tangorra says. > > However, Stasinos says almost any caterer is prepared to put together an organic menu.> > Now is a good time to be planning a green wedding, too; autumn is an ideal time for a green wedding, because the season enhances the natural theme with a rustic feel, planners say.> > "There lot of fall aspects you can use," Stasinos says.> > Newlyweds can keep it green after their big day, too. Couples can plan honeymoons that are eco-friendly, like camping trips or getaways to pro-environment hotels and resorts. The Green Hotels Association offers a list of lodging facilities that promote practices such as saving water and electricity, and reducing waste. The list includes spots across the county, as well as in the Caribbean and South America. > > In addition, the association suggests some eco-friendly travel tips: fly an airline that recycles waste, like Southwest Airlines; walk or use public transportation while at your destination when you can; and ask the hotel staff not to change your sheets and towels every day. > > And if you're going green for your wedding, you won't be alone.> > "It's the thing," Tangorra says. "I have people who continuously talk about it and we explore some ideas. We will be seeing more and more of it."> > > > Peter H > > > > > Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less, sign up for your freeaccount today.>