IndiaDivine.org

Know your rights ( in the UK)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Sorry, I dont know how this differs in the U.S.A, maybe someone could advise. I posted this due to the Police pushing for invasive powers to stop and search in Cardiff ( where I work ) following the terror attacks in London & Glasgow: If youre stopped & searched under Section 44 of the Terrorism Act 2000 you have specific & clear rights that cops will ignore unless you make it clear you know them. They may try & get you to give them your personal details, & they may attempt to photograph you they are not allowed to do either. Here are some pointers provided by the civil rights group Liberty: The police can only give you a pat down, remove outer clothes (eg: jacket, hat) search your bags, & have you empty your pockets You do not have to

give your name or address. You do not have to explain why you are there. You are not allowed to flee the search, but you are not required to be actively compliant. You are allowed to "go limp" as passive resistance during the search if you do not wish to comply. There is no permission to collect DNA data during the search. You do not have to comply with any attempt to photograph or record you (although you cannot wear a mask). Women can not be touched by male police during these searches. Make notes about the officers searching you - name, number, & police force. Note the time & the events preceding the search. Note the specific wording used by the police to explain their authority to search. Ask police for the reason that they are searching you. Specifically, are they searching for terrorists or are they simply trying to deter, delay, or

inconvenience you? check out: www.liberty-human-rights.org.ukPeter H

Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less, sign up for your free

account today.

Guest guest

Hi PeterOne other thing - they are obliged to provide you with a " receipt " to state you have been searched, including a date, time and reason. Check before they search you that they have the necessary paperwork with them to provide the receipt - if they don't, they can't search you.

Also, the police can not prevent you taking photographs (although, they can attempt to hide their faces) - useful if they try to keep their identities secret (which is also an illegal act). From experience, I'd recommend getting the officer's name and number before they attempt to search you, because if they refuse to give it, they are acting illegally and you can refuse to be searched until they provide legal identification of their status as police officers (

i.e. including their name and number).BBPeterOn 28/07/07, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

Sorry, I dont know how this differs in the U.S.A, maybe someone could advise. I posted this due to the Police pushing for invasive powers to stop and search in Cardiff ( where I work ) following the terror attacks in London & Glasgow:

If youre stopped & searched under Section 44 of the Terrorism Act 2000 you have specific & clear rights that cops will ignore unless you make it clear you know them. They may try & get you to give them your personal details, & they may attempt to photograph you they are not allowed to do either. Here are some pointers provided by the civil rights group Liberty:

The police can only give you a pat down, remove outer clothes (eg: jacket, hat) search your bags, & have you empty your pockets You do not have to

give your name or address. You do not have to explain why you are there. You are not allowed to flee the search, but you are not required to be actively compliant. You are allowed to " go limp " as passive resistance during the search if you do not wish to comply.

There is no permission to collect DNA data during the search. You do not have to comply with any attempt to photograph or record you (although you cannot wear a mask). Women can not be touched by male police during these searches.

Make notes about the officers searching you - name, number, & police force. Note the time & the events preceding the search. Note the specific wording used by the police to explain their authority to search.

Ask police for the reason that they are searching you. Specifically, are they searching for terrorists or are they simply trying to deter, delay, or

inconvenience you? check out:

www.liberty-human-rights.org.ukPeter H

Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less,

account today.

Guest guest

Thanks Peter, these are good points, however a lot of intimidation by the boys in blue sometimes makes you forget these points, especially if they try and get you on your own. The Valley Vegan................Peter Kebbell <metalscarab wrote: Hi PeterOne other thing - they are obliged to provide you with a "receipt" to state you have been searched, including a date, time and reason. Check before they search you that they have the necessary paperwork with them to

provide the receipt - if they don't, they can't search you. Also, the police can not prevent you taking photographs (although, they can attempt to hide their faces) - useful if they try to keep their identities secret (which is also an illegal act). From experience, I'd recommend getting the officer's name and number before they attempt to search you, because if they refuse to give it, they are acting illegally and you can refuse to be searched until they provide legal identification of their status as police officers ( i.e. including their name and number).BBPeter On 28/07/07, Peter VV <swpgh01 (AT) talk21 (DOT) com> wrote: Sorry, I dont know how this differs in the U.S.A, maybe someone could advise. I posted this due to the Police pushing for invasive powers to stop and search in Cardiff ( where I work ) following the terror attacks in London & Glasgow: If youre stopped & searched under Section 44 of the Terrorism Act 2000 you have specific & clear rights that cops will ignore unless you make it clear you know them. They may try & get you to give them your personal details, & they may attempt to photograph you they are not allowed to do either. Here are some pointers provided by the civil rights group Liberty: The police can only give you a pat down, remove outer clothes (eg: jacket, hat) search your bags, & have you empty your pockets You do not have to give your name or address. You do not have to explain why you are there. You are not allowed to flee the search, but you are not required to

be actively compliant. You are allowed to "go limp" as passive resistance during the search if you do not wish to comply. There is no permission to collect DNA data during the search. You do not have to comply with any attempt to photograph or record you (although you cannot wear a mask). Women can not be touched by male police during these searches. Make notes about the officers searching you - name, number, & police force. Note the time & the events preceding the search. Note the specific wording used by the police to explain their authority to search. Ask police for the reason that they are searching you. Specifically, are they searching for terrorists or are they simply trying to deter, delay, or inconvenience you? check out: www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk Peter H Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less, sign up for your free account today. Peter H

Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less, sign up for your free

account today.

Guest guest

Hi PeterIndeed - they will also often threaten to arrest you if you don't give them your name and address. It's only ever happened to me once, and I took their collar number and told them that if they wanted my name and address they would have to arrest me, and in order to arrest me they'd need grounds or find themselves being sued for wrongful arrest... and failure to give your name and address is not grounds for arrest!

BBPeterOn 28/07/07, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

Thanks Peter, these are good points, however a lot of intimidation by the boys in blue sometimes makes you forget these points, especially if they try and get you on your own. The Valley Vegan................

Peter Kebbell <metalscarab

wrote: Hi PeterOne other thing - they are obliged to provide you with a " receipt " to state you have been searched, including a date, time and reason. Check before they search you that they have the necessary paperwork with them to

provide the receipt - if they don't, they can't search you. Also, the police can not prevent you taking photographs (although, they can attempt to hide their faces) - useful if they try to keep their identities secret (which is also an illegal act). From experience, I'd recommend getting the officer's name and number before they attempt to search you, because if they refuse to give it, they are acting illegally and you can refuse to be searched until they provide legal identification of their status as police officers ( i.e. including their name and number).BBPeter On 28/07/07, Peter VV <

swpgh01 wrote: Sorry, I dont know how this differs in the U.S.A, maybe someone could advise.

I posted this due to the Police pushing for invasive powers to stop and search in Cardiff ( where I work ) following the terror attacks in London & Glasgow: If youre stopped & searched under Section 44 of the Terrorism Act 2000 you have specific & clear rights that cops will ignore unless you make it clear you know them. They may try & get you to give them your personal details, & they may attempt to photograph you they are not allowed to do either. Here are some pointers provided by the civil rights group Liberty: The police can only give you a pat down, remove outer clothes (eg: jacket, hat) search your bags, & have you empty your pockets

You do not have to give your name or address. You do not have to explain why you are there.

You are not allowed to flee the search, but you are not required to

be actively compliant. You are allowed to " go limp " as passive resistance during the search if you do not wish to comply. There is no permission to collect DNA data during the search.

You do not have to comply with any attempt to photograph or record you (although you cannot wear a mask). Women can not be touched by male police during these searches. Make notes about the officers searching you - name, number, & police force. Note the time & the events preceding the search.

Note the specific wording used by the police to explain their authority to search. Ask police for the reason that they are searching you. Specifically, are they searching for terrorists or are they simply trying to deter, delay, or inconvenience you?

check out:

www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk Peter H

account today.

Guest guest

I thought that under section 6 of the CJA the police had a right to

ask for your details and where you are going, what you are doing.

Surely they could frisk you under section 44 of the Terrorism Act and

get your details under section 6 of the CJA!

Jo

, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

>

> Sorry, I dont know how this differs in the U.S.A, maybe someone

could advise.

>

> I posted this due to the Police pushing for invasive powers to

stop and search in Cardiff ( where I work ) following the terror

attacks in London & Glasgow:

>

> If youre stopped & searched under Section 44 of the Terrorism Act

2000 you have specific & clear rights that cops will ignore unless

you make it clear you know them. They may try & get you to give them

your personal details, & they may attempt to photograph you they

are not allowed to do either. Here are some pointers provided by the

civil rights group Liberty:

> The police can only give you a pat down, remove outer clothes

(eg: jacket, hat) search your bags, & have you empty your pockets

> You do not have to give your name or address.

> You do not have to explain why you are there.

> You are not allowed to flee the search, but you are not

required to be actively compliant. You are allowed to " go limp " as

passive resistance during the search if you do not wish to comply.

> There is no permission to collect DNA data during the search.

> You do not have to comply with any attempt to photograph or

record you (although you cannot wear a mask).

> Women can not be touched by male police during these searches.

> Make notes about the officers searching you - name, number, &

police force.

> Note the time & the events preceding the search.

> Note the specific wording used by the police to explain their

authority to search.

> Ask police for the reason that they are searching you.

Specifically, are they searching for terrorists or are they simply

trying to deter, delay, or inconvenience you?

> check out: www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk

>

>

> Peter H

>

>

>

>

> Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less,

>

Guest guest

Hi Peter

I know they don't like being photographed, because they look most

uncomfortable when you do :-)

BB

Jo

, " Peter Kebbell " <metalscarab

wrote:

>

> Hi Peter

>

> One other thing - they are obliged to provide you with a " receipt "

to state

> you have been searched, including a date, time and reason. Check

before they

> search you that they have the necessary paperwork with them to

provide the

> receipt - if they don't, they can't search you.

>

> Also, the police can not prevent you taking photographs (although,

they can

> attempt to hide their faces) - useful if they try to keep their

identities

> secret (which is also an illegal act). From experience, I'd

recommend

> getting the officer's name and number before they attempt to search

you,

> because if they refuse to give it, they are acting illegally and

you can

> refuse to be searched until they provide legal identification of

their

> status as police officers (i.e. including their name and number).

>

> BB

> Peter

>

> On 28/07/07, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

> >

> > Sorry, I dont know how this differs in the U.S.A, maybe someone

could

> > advise.

> >

> >

> > I posted this due to the Police pushing for invasive powers to

stop and

> > search in Cardiff ( where I work ) following the terror attacks

in London &

> > Glasgow:

> >

> > If youre stopped & searched under Section 44 of the Terrorism Act

2000 you

> > have specific & clear rights that cops will ignore unless you

make it clear

> > you know them. They may try & get you to give them your personal

details, &

> > they may attempt to photograph you they are not allowed to do

either. Here

> > are some pointers provided by the civil rights group Liberty:

> > The police can only give you a pat down, remove outer clothes

(eg:

> > jacket, hat) search your bags, & have you empty your pockets

> > You do not have to give your name or address.

> > You do not have to explain why you are there.

> > You are not allowed to flee the search, but you are not required

to be

> > actively compliant. You are allowed to " go limp " as passive

resistance

> > during the search if you do not wish to comply.

> > There is no permission to collect DNA data during the search.

> > You do not have to comply with any attempt to photograph or

record you

> > (although you cannot wear a mask).

> > Women can not be touched by male police during these searches.

> > Make notes about the officers searching you - name, number, &

police

> > force.

> > Note the time & the events preceding the search.

> > Note the specific wording used by the police to explain their

authority

> > to search.

> > Ask police for the reason that they are searching you.

Specifically, are

> > they searching for terrorists or are they simply trying to deter,

delay, or

> > inconvenience you?

> > check out:

> > *www.liberty-human-

rights.org.uk*<http://uk.f867.mail./ym/www.liberty-human-

rights.org.uk>

> >

> >

> >

> > Peter H

> >

> > ------------------------------

> > Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for

less, sign up

> > for your free account

today<http://uk.rd./evt=44106/*http://uk.docs./mail/

winter07.html>.

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

We were stopped when driving to hunt sab once. We had a dozen or so

police circling us to search our car and ask where we were going,

what we were doing. I took the mick a bit by showing my sandwiches,

but it was scary.

Jo

, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

>

> Thanks Peter, these are good points, however a lot of intimidation

by the boys in blue sometimes makes you forget these points,

especially if they try and get you on your own.

>

> The Valley Vegan................

>

> Peter Kebbell <metalscarab wrote:

> Hi Peter

>

> One other thing - they are obliged to provide you with a " receipt "

to state you have been searched, including a date, time and reason.

Check before they search you that they have the necessary paperwork

with them to provide the receipt - if they don't, they can't search

you.

>

> Also, the police can not prevent you taking photographs (although,

they can attempt to hide their faces) - useful if they try to keep

their identities secret (which is also an illegal act). From

experience, I'd recommend getting the officer's name and number

before they attempt to search you, because if they refuse to give it,

they are acting illegally and you can refuse to be searched until

they provide legal identification of their status as police officers

( i.e. including their name and number).

>

> BB

> Peter

>

> On 28/07/07, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote: Sorry, I dont

know how this differs in the U.S.A, maybe someone could advise.

>

> I posted this due to the Police pushing for invasive powers to

stop and search in Cardiff ( where I work ) following the terror

attacks in London & Glasgow:

>

> If youre stopped & searched under Section 44 of the Terrorism Act

2000 you have specific & clear rights that cops will ignore unless

you make it clear you know them. They may try & get you to give them

your personal details, & they may attempt to photograph you they are

not allowed to do either. Here are some pointers provided by the

civil rights group Liberty:

> The police can only give you a pat down, remove outer clothes

(eg: jacket, hat) search your bags, & have you empty your pockets

> You do not have to give your name or address.

> You do not have to explain why you are there.

> You are not allowed to flee the search, but you are not required

to be actively compliant. You are allowed to " go limp " as passive

resistance during the search if you do not wish to comply.

> There is no permission to collect DNA data during the search.

> You do not have to comply with any attempt to photograph or

record you (although you cannot wear a mask).

> Women can not be touched by male police during these searches.

> Make notes about the officers searching you - name, number, &

police force.

> Note the time & the events preceding the search.

> Note the specific wording used by the police to explain their

authority to search.

> Ask police for the reason that they are searching you.

Specifically, are they searching for terrorists or are they simply

trying to deter, delay, or inconvenience you?

> check out:

> www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk

>

>

> Peter H

>

>

>

>

> Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for

less, sign up for your free account today.

>

Peter H

>

>

>

>

> Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less,

>

Guest guest

Hi JoNo - under section 6 of the CJA they have the right to stop and search, but not to take any personal details. They also have the right to prevent access to, or exit from a particular area when they have invoked the CJA, but until they actually arrest you, you are not required to give name and address. The only exception is if you are driving a car, in which case the driver is obliged to give their details under the Road Traffic Act - but no-one else in the car is under any obligation!

Incidentally, it is also not illegal to give a nickname rather than a real name when arrested - the stipulation is that it must be a name by which you are known. Only if you are charged are you required to give your legal name.

BBPeterOn 30/07/07, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:

I thought that under section 6 of the CJA the police had a right toask for your details and where you are going, what you are doing.Surely they could frisk you under section 44 of the Terrorism Act andget your details under section 6 of the CJA!

Jo , Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:>> Sorry, I dont know how this differs in the U.S.A, maybe someonecould advise.

>> I posted this due to the Police pushing for invasive powers tostop and search in Cardiff ( where I work ) following the terrorattacks in London & Glasgow:>> If youre stopped & searched under Section 44 of the Terrorism Act

2000 you have specific & clear rights that cops will ignore unlessyou make it clear you know them. They may try & get you to give themyour personal details, & they may attempt to photograph you they

are not allowed to do either. Here are some pointers provided by thecivil rights group Liberty:> The police can only give you a pat down, remove outer clothes(eg: jacket, hat) search your bags, & have you empty your pockets

> You do not have to give your name or address.> You do not have to explain why you are there.> You are not allowed to flee the search, but you are notrequired to be actively compliant. You are allowed to " go limp " as

passive resistance during the search if you do not wish to comply.> There is no permission to collect DNA data during the search.> You do not have to comply with any attempt to photograph orrecord you (although you cannot wear a mask).

> Women can not be touched by male police during these searches.> Make notes about the officers searching you - name, number, & police force.> Note the time & the events preceding the search.

> Note the specific wording used by the police to explain theirauthority to search.> Ask police for the reason that they are searching you.Specifically, are they searching for terrorists or are they simply

trying to deter, delay, or inconvenience you?> check out: www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk>>> Peter H>>>>

> Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less,sign up for your freeaccount today.>To send an email to

-

Guest guest

Hi Peter

I see. I'll have to try to remember that.

BBJo

-

Peter Kebbell

Monday, July 30, 2007 11:09 AM

Re: Re: Know your rights ( in the UK)

Hi JoNo - under section 6 of the CJA they have the right to stop and search, but not to take any personal details. They also have the right to prevent access to, or exit from a particular area when they have invoked the CJA, but until they actually arrest you, you are not required to give name and address. The only exception is if you are driving a car, in which case the driver is obliged to give their details under the Road Traffic Act - but no-one else in the car is under any obligation! Incidentally, it is also not illegal to give a nickname rather than a real name when arrested - the stipulation is that it must be a name by which you are known. Only if you are charged are you required to give your legal name. BBPeter

On 30/07/07, heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:

I thought that under section 6 of the CJA the police had a right toask for your details and where you are going, what you are doing.Surely they could frisk you under section 44 of the Terrorism Act andget your details under section 6 of the CJA! Jo , Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:>> Sorry, I dont know how this differs in the U.S.A, maybe someonecould advise. >> I posted this due to the Police pushing for invasive powers tostop and search in Cardiff ( where I work ) following the terrorattacks in London & Glasgow:>> If youre stopped & searched under Section 44 of the Terrorism Act 2000 you have specific & clear rights that cops will ignore unlessyou make it clear you know them. They may try & get you to give themyour personal details, & they may attempt to photograph you they are not allowed to do either. Here are some pointers provided by thecivil rights group Liberty:> The police can only give you a pat down, remove outer clothes(eg: jacket, hat) search your bags, & have you empty your pockets > You do not have to give your name or address.> You do not have to explain why you are there.> You are not allowed to flee the search, but you are notrequired to be actively compliant. You are allowed to "go limp" as passive resistance during the search if you do not wish to comply.> There is no permission to collect DNA data during the search.> You do not have to comply with any attempt to photograph orrecord you (although you cannot wear a mask). > Women can not be touched by male police during these searches.> Make notes about the officers searching you - name, number, & police force.> Note the time & the events preceding the search. > Note the specific wording used by the police to explain theirauthority to search.> Ask police for the reason that they are searching you.Specifically, are they searching for terrorists or are they simply trying to deter, delay, or inconvenience you?> check out: www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk>>> Peter H>>>> > Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less,sign up for your freeaccount today.>To send an email to -