IndiaDivine.org

Info straight from Guinness...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

***I found the last sentence a bit odd...***

I'm writing in response to your email which was forwarded to my desk

regarding isinglass and the GUINNESS brewing process.

In answer to your query however, we do use isinglass for fining all

GUINNESS brewed beers. We can confirm that Isinglass is used in

production of our beers. Isinglass is used widely in the brewing

industry although it is extensively refined before use. Its sole

purpose is as a fining agent to help remove yeast from our beer.

While we accept that some minor traces of isinglass may subsequently

remain in the finished product, the European Food Safety Agency has

recently expressed the view that the risk of adverse reaction by

individuals to isinglass is very remote.

We are very happy with the technical performance of isinglass in

removing yeast although we are conscious that its use may represent a

barrier to consumption of our products to some. As part of our

ongoing efforts to further improve the way we make our products, we

are seeking alternatives to isinglass. To date, we haven't found any

alternative that is as effective and as environmentally friendly as

isinglass.

Kind regards

Denise Murphy

Consumer Relations

thats the standard line in the British Isles...

of course its poppycock..since its almost never used in the US, or anywhere else for that reason (the only other big brewer outside the UK that i know of that uses it is Inbev on some beers, which use to be Interbrew)

there's Irish moss

there's polyclar

then there are all the mechanical means..Diatamacious Earth (sic), plae and filter, etc

heck, there's even woodstrips (bud, tho thats just marketing nowadays)

tofuchick24 Sep 12, 2007 9:51 AM Info straight from Guinness...

***I found the last sentence a bit odd...***I'm writing in response to your email which was forwarded to my desk regarding isinglass and the GUINNESS brewing process. In answer to your query however, we do use isinglass for fining all GUINNESS brewed beers. We can confirm that Isinglass is used in production of our beers. Isinglass is used widely in the brewing industry although it is extensively refined before use. Its sole purpose is as a fining agent to help remove yeast from our beer. While we accept that some minor traces of isinglass may subsequently remain in the finished product, the European Food Safety Agency has recently expressed the view that the risk of adverse reaction by individuals to isinglass is very remote.We are very happy with the technical performance of isinglass in removing yeast although we are conscious that its use may represent a barrier to consumption of our products to some. As part of our ongoing efforts to further improve the way we make our products, we are seeking alternatives to isinglass. To date, we haven't found any alternative that is as effective and as environmentally friendly as isinglass.Kind regardsDenise MurphyConsumer Relations

I never thought about the universe, it made me feel small

Never thought about the problems of this planet at all

Global warming, radio-active sites

Imperialistic wrongs and animal rights! No!

Why think of all the bad things when life is so good?

Why help with an 'am' when there's always a 'could'?

Let the whales worry about the poisons in the sea

Outside of California, it's foreign policy

I don't want changes, I have no reactions

Your dilemmas are my distractions

I never looked around, never second-guessed

Then I read some Howard Zinn now I'm always depressed

And now I can't sleep from years of apathy

All because I read a little Noam Chomsky

I'm eating vegetation, 'cause of Fast Food Nation

I'm wearing uncomfortable shoes 'cause of globalization

I'm watching Michael Moore expose the awful truth

I'm listening to Public Enemy and Reagan Youth

I see no world peace 'cause of zealous armed forces

I eat no breath-mints 'cause they're from de-hoofed horses

They couldn't have tried very hard!!

Jo

-

" tofuchick24 " <tofuchick

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 5:51 PM

Info straight from Guinness...

> ***I found the last sentence a bit odd...***

>

>

> I'm writing in response to your email which was forwarded to my desk

> regarding isinglass and the GUINNESS brewing process.

>

> In answer to your query however, we do use isinglass for fining all

> GUINNESS brewed beers. We can confirm that Isinglass is used in

> production of our beers. Isinglass is used widely in the brewing

> industry although it is extensively refined before use. Its sole

> purpose is as a fining agent to help remove yeast from our beer.

> While we accept that some minor traces of isinglass may subsequently

> remain in the finished product, the European Food Safety Agency has

> recently expressed the view that the risk of adverse reaction by

> individuals to isinglass is very remote.

>

> We are very happy with the technical performance of isinglass in

> removing yeast although we are conscious that its use may represent a

> barrier to consumption of our products to some. As part of our

> ongoing efforts to further improve the way we make our products, we

> are seeking alternatives to isinglass. To date, we haven't found any

> alternative that is as effective and as environmentally friendly as

> isinglass.

>

> Kind regards

>

> Denise Murphy

> Consumer Relations

>

>

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

I just " loved " the part where she claims it's " enviromentally

friendly " ...huh? After reading the attitude I'm not sure even IF

they fixed the problem I'd ever be tempted to drink it again.

, " jo " <jo.heartwork wrote:

>

> They couldn't have tried very hard!!

>

> Jo

>

> -

> " tofuchick24 " <tofuchick

>

> Wednesday, September 12, 2007 5:51 PM

> Info straight from Guinness...

>

>

> > ***I found the last sentence a bit odd...***

> >

> >

> > I'm writing in response to your email which was forwarded to my

desk

> > regarding isinglass and the GUINNESS brewing process.

> >

> > In answer to your query however, we do use isinglass for fining

all

> > GUINNESS brewed beers. We can confirm that Isinglass is used in

> > production of our beers. Isinglass is used widely in the brewing

> > industry although it is extensively refined before use. Its sole

> > purpose is as a fining agent to help remove yeast from our beer.

> > While we accept that some minor traces of isinglass may

subsequently

> > remain in the finished product, the European Food Safety Agency

has

> > recently expressed the view that the risk of adverse reaction by

> > individuals to isinglass is very remote.

> >

> > We are very happy with the technical performance of isinglass in

> > removing yeast although we are conscious that its use may

represent a

> > barrier to consumption of our products to some. As part of our

> > ongoing efforts to further improve the way we make our products,

we

> > are seeking alternatives to isinglass. To date, we haven't found

any

> > alternative that is as effective and as environmentally friendly

as

> > isinglass.

> >

> > Kind regards

> >

> > Denise Murphy

> > Consumer Relations

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > To send an email to -

> >

LOL - they always make these claims!

Jo

-

" tofuchick24 " <tofuchick

Thursday, September 13, 2007 8:18 AM

Re: Info straight from Guinness...

> I just " loved " the part where she claims it's " enviromentally

> friendly " ...huh? After reading the attitude I'm not sure even IF

> they fixed the problem I'd ever be tempted to drink it again.

>

> , " jo " <jo.heartwork wrote:

> >

> > They couldn't have tried very hard!!

> >

> > Jo

> >

> > -

> > " tofuchick24 " <tofuchick

> >

> > Wednesday, September 12, 2007 5:51 PM

> > Info straight from Guinness...

> >

> >

> > > ***I found the last sentence a bit odd...***

> > >

> > >

> > > I'm writing in response to your email which was forwarded to my

> desk

> > > regarding isinglass and the GUINNESS brewing process.

> > >

> > > In answer to your query however, we do use isinglass for fining

> all

> > > GUINNESS brewed beers. We can confirm that Isinglass is used in

> > > production of our beers. Isinglass is used widely in the brewing

> > > industry although it is extensively refined before use. Its sole

> > > purpose is as a fining agent to help remove yeast from our beer.

> > > While we accept that some minor traces of isinglass may

> subsequently

> > > remain in the finished product, the European Food Safety Agency

> has

> > > recently expressed the view that the risk of adverse reaction by

> > > individuals to isinglass is very remote.

> > >

> > > We are very happy with the technical performance of isinglass in

> > > removing yeast although we are conscious that its use may

> represent a

> > > barrier to consumption of our products to some. As part of our

> > > ongoing efforts to further improve the way we make our products,

> we

> > > are seeking alternatives to isinglass. To date, we haven't found

> any

> > > alternative that is as effective and as environmentally friendly

> as

> > > isinglass.

> > >

> > > Kind regards

> > >

> > > Denise Murphy

> > > Consumer Relations

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > To send an email to -

>

> > >

Guiness is owned by one of the largest alcoholic drink corporations in the world..Diageo

"environmental" to them is just a nice marketing tool

sweeping the oceans of fish doesn't sound environmental to me....

tofuchick24 Sep 13, 2007 12:18 AM Re: Info straight from Guinness...

I just "loved" the part where she claims it's "enviromentally friendly"...huh? After reading the attitude I'm not sure even IF they fixed the problem I'd ever be tempted to drink it again. , "jo" <jo.heartwork wrote:>> They couldn't have tried very hard!!> > Jo> > - > "tofuchick24" <tofuchick> > Wednesday, September 12, 2007 5:51 PM> Info straight from Guinness...> > > > ***I found the last sentence a bit odd...***> > > > > > I'm writing in response to your email which was forwarded to my desk > > regarding isinglass and the GUINNESS brewing process. > > > > In answer to your query however, we do use isinglass for fining all > > GUINNESS brewed beers. We can confirm that Isinglass is used in > > production of our beers. Isinglass is used widely in the brewing > > industry although it is extensively refined before use. Its sole > > purpose is as a fining agent to help remove yeast from our beer. > > While we accept that some minor traces of isinglass may subsequently > > remain in the finished product, the European Food Safety Agency has > > recently expressed the view that the risk of adverse reaction by > > individuals to isinglass is very remote.> > > > We are very happy with the technical performance of isinglass in > > removing yeast although we are conscious that its use may represent a > > barrier to consumption of our products to some. As part of our > > ongoing efforts to further improve the way we make our products, we > > are seeking alternatives to isinglass. To date, we haven't found any > > alternative that is as effective and as environmentally friendly as > > isinglass.> > > > Kind regards> > > > Denise Murphy> > Consumer Relations> > > > > > > > > > > > To send an email to - > >

Do you think that the british brewing industry uses isinglass due to the fact that the uk is an island, and island cultures tend to use a lot of fish? or am I talking out of my bum?

The Valley Vegan..............

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Thursday, 13 September, 2007 5:25:10 PMRe: Re: Info straight from Guinness...

Guiness is owned by one of the largest alcoholic drink corporations in the world..Diageo

tofuchick24 Sep 13, 2007 12:18 AM @gro ups.com Re: Info straight from Guinness...

I just "loved" the part where she claims it's "enviromentally friendly"... huh? After reading the attitude I'm not sure even IF they fixed the problem I'd ever be tempted to drink it again. @gro ups.com, "jo" <jo.heartwork@ ...> wrote:>> They couldn't have tried very hard!!> > Jo> > - > "tofuchick24" <tofuchick@. ..>> <@gro ups.com>> Wednesday, September 12, 2007 5:51 PM> Info straight from Guinness...> > > > ***I found the last sentence a bit odd...***> > > > > > I'm writing in response to your email which was forwarded to my desk >

> regarding isinglass and the GUINNESS brewing process. > > > > In answer to your query however, we do use isinglass for fining all > > GUINNESS brewed beers. We can confirm that Isinglass is used in > > production of our beers. Isinglass is used widely in the brewing > > industry although it is extensively refined before use. Its sole > > purpose is as a fining agent to help remove yeast from our beer. > > While we accept that some minor traces of isinglass may subsequently > > remain in the finished product, the European Food Safety Agency has > > recently expressed the view that the risk of adverse reaction by > > individuals to isinglass is very remote.> > > > We are very happy with the technical performance of isinglass in > > removing yeast although we are conscious that its use may represent a

> > barrier to consumption of our products to some. As part of our > > ongoing efforts to further improve the way we make our products, we > > are seeking alternatives to isinglass. To date, we haven't found any > > alternative that is as effective and as environmentally friendly as > > isinglass.> > > > Kind regards> > > > Denise Murphy> > Consumer Relations> > > > > > > > > > > > To send an email to - > >

well...partially

it's a traditional source, being an island, fish was prolly much easier to come by as a clarifier for beer

you use what you have available i guess

but, there are soooooooo many different alternatives nowadays

and, sturgeon ain't exactly a sustainable fishing process rght now.....

Peter VV Sep 13, 2007 4:42 PM Re: Re: Info straight from Guinness...

Do you think that the british brewing industry uses isinglass due to the fact that the uk is an island, and island cultures tend to use a lot of fish? or am I talking out of my bum?

The Valley Vegan..............

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Sent: Thursday, 13 September, 2007 5:25:10 PMRe: Re: Info straight from Guinness...

tofuchick24 Sep 13, 2007 12:18 AM @gro ups.com Re: Info straight from Guinness...

I just "loved" the part where she claims it's "enviromentally friendly"... huh? After reading the attitude I'm not sure even IF they fixed the problem I'd ever be tempted to drink it again. @gro ups.com, "jo" <jo.heartwork@ ...> wrote:>> They couldn't have tried very hard!!> > Jo> > - > "tofuchick24" <tofuchick@. ..>> <@gro ups.com>> Wednesday, September 12, 2007 5:51 PM> Info straight from Guinness...> > > > ***I found the last sentence a bit odd...***> > > > > > I'm writing in response to your email which was forwarded to my desk > > regarding isinglass and the GUINNESS brewing process. > > > > In answer to your query however, we do use isinglass for fining all > > GUINNESS brewed beers. We can confirm that Isinglass is used in > > production of our beers. Isinglass is used widely in the brewing > > industry although it is extensively refined before use. Its sole > > purpose is as a fining agent to help remove yeast from our beer. > > While we accept that some minor traces of isinglass may subsequently > > remain in the finished product, the European Food Safety Agency has > > recently expressed the view that the risk of adverse reaction by > > individuals to isinglass is very remote.> > > > We are very happy with the technical performance of isinglass in > > removing yeast although we are conscious that its use may represent a > > barrier to consumption of our products to some. As part of our > > ongoing efforts to further improve the way we make our products, we > > are seeking alternatives to isinglass. To date, we haven't found any > > alternative that is as effective and as environmentally friendly as > > isinglass.> > > > Kind regards> > > > Denise Murphy> > Consumer Relations> > > > > > > > > > > > To send an email to - > >

So knock up a letter that I can use pointing out all these facts, i.e. alternatives, any facts on what percentage of the world uses the stuff against which doesnt etc, so I can start my campaign. Maybe I can send a copy to CAMRA, - bunch of beardies that they are...........

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Thursday, 13 September, 2007 10:58:50 PMRe: Re: Info straight from Guinness...

well...partially

it's a traditional source, being an island, fish was prolly much easier to come by as a clarifier for beer

Peter VV Sep 13, 2007 4:42 PM @gro ups.com Re: Re: Info straight from Guinness...

The Valley Vegan....... .......

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>@gro ups.comThursday, 13 September, 2007 5:25:10 PMRe: Re: Info straight from Guinness...

I just "loved" the part where she claims it's "enviromentally friendly"... huh? After reading the attitude I'm not sure even IF they fixed the problem I'd ever be tempted to drink it again. @gro ups.com, "jo" <jo.heartwork@ ...> wrote:>> They couldn't have tried very hard!!> > Jo> > - > "tofuchick24" <tofuchick@. ..>> <@gro ups.com>> Wednesday, September 12, 2007 5:51 PM> Info straight from Guinness...> > > > ***I found the last sentence a bit odd...***> > > > > > I'm writing in response to your email which was forwarded to my desk >

> regarding isinglass and the GUINNESS brewing process. > > > > In answer to your query however, we do use isinglass for fining all > > GUINNESS brewed beers. We can confirm that Isinglass is used in > > production of our beers. Isinglass is used widely in the brewing > > industry although it is extensively refined before use. Its sole > > purpose is as a fining agent to help remove yeast from our beer. > > While we accept that some minor traces of isinglass may subsequently > > remain in the finished product, the European Food Safety Agency has > > recently expressed the view that the risk of adverse reaction by > > individuals to isinglass is very remote.> > > > We are very happy with the technical performance of isinglass in > > removing yeast although we are conscious that its use may represent a

> > barrier to consumption of our products to some. As part of our > > ongoing efforts to further improve the way we make our products, we > > are seeking alternatives to isinglass. To date, we haven't found any > > alternative that is as effective and as environmentally friendly as > > isinglass.> > > > Kind regards> > > > Denise Murphy> > Consumer Relations> > > > > > > > > > > > To send an email to - > >

what am i, yer secretary??

:)

ok..clarifiers and such:

Irish moss (seaweed)

polyclar (basically electrically charged plastic beads)

Klarospan, which is irish moss with something else..forget what

filtering:

plate and filter...

DE (diatemacious earth)(sic) ..all the big boys use that here

heck, even budwesier uses beechwood,,tho, like i said earlier...thats just marketing nowadays...

Peter VV Sep 14, 2007 1:14 PM Re: Re: Info straight from Guinness...

So knock up a letter that I can use pointing out all these facts, i.e. alternatives, any facts on what percentage of the world uses the stuff against which doesnt etc, so I can start my campaign. Maybe I can send a copy to CAMRA, - bunch of beardies that they are...........

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Sent: Thursday, 13 September, 2007 10:58:50 PMRe: Re: Info straight from Guinness...

well...partially

Peter VV Sep 13, 2007 4:42 PM @gro ups.com Re: Re: Info straight from Guinness...

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>@gro ups.comThursday, 13 September, 2007 5:25:10 PMRe: Re: Info straight from Guinness...

I just "loved" the part where she claims it's "enviromentally friendly"... huh? After reading the attitude I'm not sure even IF they fixed the problem I'd ever be tempted to drink it again. @gro ups.com, "jo" <jo.heartwork@ ...> wrote:>> They couldn't have tried very hard!!> > Jo> > - > "tofuchick24" <tofuchick@. ..>> <@gro ups.com>> Wednesday, September 12, 2007 5:51 PM> Info straight from Guinness...> > > > ***I found the last sentence a bit odd...***> > > > > > I'm writing in response to your email which was forwarded to my desk > > regarding isinglass and the GUINNESS brewing process. > > > > In answer to your query however, we do use isinglass for fining all > > GUINNESS brewed beers. We can confirm that Isinglass is used in > > production of our beers. Isinglass is used widely in the brewing > > industry although it is extensively refined before use. Its sole > > purpose is as a fining agent to help remove yeast from our beer. > > While we accept that some minor traces of isinglass may subsequently > > remain in the finished product, the European Food Safety Agency has > > recently expressed the view that the risk of adverse reaction by > > individuals to isinglass is very remote.> > > > We are very happy with the technical performance of isinglass in > > removing yeast although we are conscious that its use may represent a > > barrier to consumption of our products to some. As part of our > > ongoing efforts to further improve the way we make our products, we > > are seeking alternatives to isinglass. To date, we haven't found any > > alternative that is as effective and as environmentally friendly as > > isinglass.> > > > Kind regards> > > > Denise Murphy> > Consumer Relations> > > > > > > > > > > > To send an email to - > >

Come on secretary Fraggle, something else? cant put that in can I . they definately wont take that seriously.

Any stats or countrys that dont use isinglass?

If we /me are going to do this , lets do it right eh?

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Friday, 14 September, 2007 10:12:52 PMRe: Re: Info straight from Guinness...

ok..clarifiers and such:

Irish moss (seaweed)

filtering:

plate and filter...

heck, even budwesier uses beechwood,,tho, like i said earlier...thats just marketing nowadays...

Peter VV Sep 14, 2007 1:14 PM @gro ups.com Re: Re: Info straight from Guinness...

So knock up a letter that I can use pointing out all these facts, i.e. alternatives, any facts on what percentage of the world uses the stuff against which doesnt etc, so I can start my campaign. Maybe I can send a copy to CAMRA, - bunch of beardies that they are......... ..

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>@gro ups.comThursday, 13 September, 2007 10:58:50 PMRe: Re: Info straight from Guinness...

well...partially

Peter H

ask em why they fine instead of filtering...

Peter VV Sep 14, 2007 5:26 PM Re: Re: Info straight from Guinness...

Come on secretary Fraggle, something else? cant put that in can I . they definately wont take that seriously.

Any stats or countrys that dont use isinglass?

If we /me are going to do this , lets do it right eh?

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Sent: Friday, 14 September, 2007 10:12:52 PMRe: Re: Info straight from Guinness...

ok..clarifiers and such:

Irish moss (seaweed)

filtering:

plate and filter...

Peter VV Sep 14, 2007 1:14 PM @gro ups.com Re: Re: Info straight from Guinness...

So knock up a letter that I can use pointing out all these facts, i.e. alternatives, any facts on what percentage of the world uses the stuff against which doesnt etc, so I can start my campaign. Maybe I can send a copy to CAMRA, - bunch of beardies that they are......... ..

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>@gro ups.comThursday, 13 September, 2007 10:58:50 PMRe: Re: Info straight from Guinness...

well...partially

Peter H