IndiaDivine.org

Vitamin D Supplements: They may help you live longer

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Looks like we should all make sure we get enough vitamin D in fortified

foods or supplements>

Jo

Vitamin D is a bit of a Cinderella in the world of supplements - and yet it

is the one that could help you live longer.

People who regularly take a vitamin D supplement increase their longevity by

7 per cent, researchers have discovered.

And the reason could be because the vitamin offers natural protection

against most cancers, and stops cancer cells from proliferating. It may

also boost the immune system and the function of the blood vessels.

Even one tablet a day, with a potency of 600 IUs, offers protection against

a range of diseases, including cancer and heart disease.

The importance of vitamin D supplementation has been made by researchers

from France's International Agency for Research on Cancer, and the European

Institute of Oncology. They analysed 18 studies, which involved 57,311

participants, and those who regularly took a standard vitamin D vitamin

every day had a 7 per cent lower risk of death than those who did not.

Vitamin D can be found in milk and yoghurt, eggs, fatty fish and yeast, and

the body naturally produces it when exposed to sunlight.

But researchers say it is " a great idea " to increase your intake by

supplementing.

(Source: Archives of Internal Medicine, 2007; 167: 1709-10).

Isn't this a bit dangerous? I thought overdosing on Vitamin D is a big concern.jo <jo.heartwork wrote: Looks like we should all make sure we get enough vitamin D in fortifiedfoods or supplements>JoVitamin D is a bit of a Cinderella in the world of supplements - and yet itis the one that could help you live longer.People who regularly take a vitamin D supplement increase their longevity by7 per cent, researchers have discovered.And the reason could be because the vitamin offers natural

protectionagainst most cancers, and stops cancer cells from proliferating. It mayalso boost the immune system and the function of the blood vessels.Even one tablet a day, with a potency of 600 IUs, offers protection againsta range of diseases, including cancer and heart disease.The importance of vitamin D supplementation has been made by researchersfrom France's International Agency for Research on Cancer, and the EuropeanInstitute of Oncology. They analysed 18 studies, which involved 57,311participants, and those who regularly took a standard vitamin D vitaminevery day had a 7 per cent lower risk of death than those who did not.Vitamin D can be found in milk and yoghurt, eggs, fatty fish and yeast, andthe body naturally produces it when exposed to sunlight.But researchers say it is "a great idea" to increase your intake bysupplementing.(Source: Archives of Internal Medicine, 2007; 167:

1709-10).

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?

Check out fitting gifts for grads at Search.

No it isn't dangerous at all. I didn't suggest overdosing on it! Maybe you live in a sunny area and don't need to consider it.

Jo

-

Tracy H.

Thursday, September 13, 2007 4:19 PM

Re: Vitamin D Supplements: They may help you live longer

Isn't this a bit dangerous? I thought overdosing on Vitamin D is a big concern.jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

Looks like we should all make sure we get enough vitamin D in fortifiedfoods or supplements>JoVitamin D is a bit of a Cinderella in the world of supplements - and yet itis the one that could help you live longer.People who regularly take a vitamin D supplement increase their longevity by7 per cent, researchers have discovered.And the reason could be because the vitamin offers natural protectionagainst most cancers, and stops cancer cells from proliferating. It mayalso boost the immune system and the function of the blood vessels.Even one tablet a day, with a potency of 600 IUs, offers protection againsta range of diseases, including cancer and heart disease.The importance of vitamin D supplementation has been made by researchersfrom France's International Agency for Research on Cancer, and the EuropeanInstitute of Oncology. They analysed 18 studies, which involved 57,311participants, and those who regularly took a standard vitamin D vitaminevery day had a 7 per cent lower risk of death than those who did not.Vitamin D can be found in milk and yoghurt, eggs, fatty fish and yeast, andthe body naturally produces it when exposed to sunlight.But researchers say it is "a great idea" to increase your intake bysupplementing.(Source: Archives of Internal Medicine, 2007; 167: 1709-10).

Luggage? GPS? Comic books? Check out fitting gifts for grads at Search.

I live in a suburb of Chicago. Average sun. I had just always heard that you had to be careful with Vitamin D. I do drink Vitamin D-fortified orange juice, though, to help with calcium absorption.jo <jo.heartwork wrote: No it isn't dangerous at all. I didn't suggest overdosing on it! Maybe you live in a sunny area and don't need to consider it. Jo ----- Original

Message ----- Tracy H. Thursday, September 13, 2007 4:19 PM Re: Vitamin D Supplements: They may help you live longer Isn't this a bit dangerous? I thought overdosing on Vitamin D is a big concern.jo <jo.heartwork > wrote: Looks like we should all make sure we get enough vitamin D in fortifiedfoods or

supplements>JoVitamin D is a bit of a Cinderella in the world of supplements - and yet itis the one that could help you live longer.People who regularly take a vitamin D supplement increase their longevity by7 per cent, researchers have discovered.And the reason could be because the vitamin offers natural protectionagainst most cancers, and stops cancer cells from proliferating. It mayalso boost the immune system and the function of the blood vessels.Even one tablet a day, with a potency of 600 IUs, offers protection againsta range of diseases, including cancer and heart disease.The importance of vitamin D supplementation has been made by researchersfrom France's International Agency for Research on Cancer, and the EuropeanInstitute of Oncology. They analysed 18 studies, which involved 57,311participants, and those who regularly took a standard vitamin D vitaminevery day had a 7 per cent

lower risk of death than those who did not.Vitamin D can be found in milk and yoghurt, eggs, fatty fish and yeast, andthe body naturally produces it when exposed to sunlight.But researchers say it is "a great idea" to increase your intake bysupplementing.(Source: Archives of Internal Medicine, 2007; 167: 1709-10). Luggage? GPS? Comic books? Check out fitting gifts for grads at Search.

Building a website is a piece of cake. Small Business gives you all the tools to get online.

soggy english......

:)

jo Sep 13, 2007 8:38 AM Re: Vitamin D Supplements: They may help you live longer

No it isn't dangerous at all. I didn't suggest overdosing on it! Maybe you live in a sunny area and don't need to consider it.

Jo

-

Tracy H.

Thursday, September 13, 2007 4:19 PM

Isn't this a bit dangerous? I thought overdosing on Vitamin D is a big concern.jo <jo.heartwork > wrote:

Looks like we should all make sure we get enough vitamin D in fortifiedfoods or supplements>JoVitamin D is a bit of a Cinderella in the world of supplements - and yet itis the one that could help you live longer.People who regularly take a vitamin D supplement increase their longevity by7 per cent, researchers have discovered.And the reason could be because the vitamin offers natural protectionagainst most cancers, and stops cancer cells from proliferating. It mayalso boost the immune system and the function of the blood vessels.Even one tablet a day, with a potency of 600 IUs, offers protection againsta range of diseases, including cancer and heart disease.The importance of vitamin D supplementation has been made by researchersfrom France's International Agency for Research on Cancer, and the EuropeanInstitute of Oncology. They analysed 18 studies, which involved 57,311participants, and those who regularly took a standard vitamin D vitaminevery day had a 7 per cent lower risk of death than those who did not.Vitamin D can be found in milk and yoghurt, eggs, fatty fish and yeast, andthe body naturally produces it when exposed to sunlight.But researchers say it is "a great idea" to increase your intake bysupplementing.(Source: Archives of Internal Medicine, 2007; 167: 1709-10).

Luggage? GPS? Comic books? Check out fitting gifts for grads at Search.

I never thought about the universe, it made me feel small

Never thought about the problems of this planet at all

Global warming, radio-active sites

Imperialistic wrongs and animal rights! No!

Why think of all the bad things when life is so good?

Why help with an 'am' when there's always a 'could'?

Let the whales worry about the poisons in the sea

Outside of California, it's foreign policy

I don't want changes, I have no reactions

Your dilemmas are my distractions

I never looked around, never second-guessed

Then I read some Howard Zinn now I'm always depressed

And now I can't sleep from years of apathy

All because I read a little Noam Chomsky

I'm eating vegetation, 'cause of Fast Food Nation

I'm wearing uncomfortable shoes 'cause of globalization

I'm watching Michael Moore expose the awful truth

I'm listening to Public Enemy and Reagan Youth

I see no world peace 'cause of zealous armed forces

I eat no breath-mints 'cause they're from de-hoofed horses

Stephen Walsh recommends taking a supplement of between 10 and 20 micrograms per day. There are many results of research now saying that it is wise not to be deficient in vitamin D. It is well worth reading up on it.

Jo

-

Tracy H.

Thursday, September 13, 2007 4:53 PM

I live in a suburb of Chicago. Average sun. I had just always heard that you had to be careful with Vitamin D. I do drink Vitamin D-fortified orange juice, though, to help with calcium absorption.

LOL

Although we have had sun this last week we had many many weeks throughout the summer with thick cloud. In fact from the end of May until mid August we hardly saw the sun at all. In the winter here the sun is at such an angle that we cannot make vitamin D from about the end of September until the end of March, apparently.

Jo

-

fraggle

Thursday, September 13, 2007 5:59 PM

soggy english......

maybe we should all move back to the tropics...

they are actually talking a chance of showers this week or maybe next..slight chance, but, still a chance...rain

considering it never rains in september here, i expect it to be a mess

jo Sep 13, 2007 11:18 AM Re: Vitamin D Supplements: They may help you live longer

LOL

Although we have had sun this last week we had many many weeks throughout the summer with thick cloud. In fact from the end of May until mid August we hardly saw the sun at all. In the winter here the sun is at such an angle that we cannot make vitamin D from about the end of September until the end of March, apparently.

Jo

-

fraggle

Thursday, September 13, 2007 5:59 PM

soggy english......

I read somewhere, fairly recently, that if you are outside in the sun

for 10 mins. a day in short sleeves, the amount of sun you receive

supplies sufficient vit. D. Of course I can't remember where I read

this, so I'll be hunting for this soon! :)

In school, we were taught to be careful with vitamins A,D,E, and K,

because they were fat-soluble and could build up in the body to toxic

levels. I'm not familiar with Stephen Walsh, I'd be interested in

reading his information. Could you point me in the right direction,

please? :)

, " jo " <jo.heartwork wrote:

>

> Stephen Walsh recommends taking a supplement of between 10 and 20

micrograms per day. There are many results of research now saying

that it is wise not to be deficient in vitamin D. It is well worth

reading up on it.

>

> Jo

>

> -

> Tracy H.

>

> Thursday, September 13, 2007 4:53 PM

> Re: Vitamin D Supplements: They may help

you live longer

>

>

> I live in a suburb of Chicago. Average sun. I had just always

heard that you had to be careful with Vitamin D. I do drink Vitamin D-

fortified orange juice, though, to help with calcium absorption.

>

from what i've read, 10-15 minutes of sun exposure twice per week is adequate fer most people

of course, living in soggy england come winter, and all bets are off....

tofuchick24 Sep 16, 2007 2:14 AM Re: Vitamin D Supplements: They may help you live longer

I read somewhere, fairly recently, that if you are outside in the sun for 10 mins. a day in short sleeves, the amount of sun you receive supplies sufficient vit. D. Of course I can't remember where I read this, so I'll be hunting for this soon! :)In school, we were taught to be careful with vitamins A,D,E, and K, because they were fat-soluble and could build up in the body to toxic levels. I'm not familiar with Stephen Walsh, I'd be interested in reading his information. Could you point me in the right direction, please? :) , "jo" <jo.heartwork wrote:>> Stephen Walsh recommends taking a supplement of between 10 and 20 micrograms per day. There are many results of research now saying that it is wise not to be deficient in vitamin D. It is well worth reading up on it.> > Jo> > - > Tracy H. > > Thursday, September 13, 2007 4:53 PM> Re: Vitamin D Supplements: They may help you live longer> > > I live in a suburb of Chicago. Average sun. I had just always heard that you had to be careful with Vitamin D. I do drink Vitamin D-fortified orange juice, though, to help with calcium absorption.>

Apparently for at least six months of the year here there is not enough sun to make the vitamin D (Patrick Holford newsletter received on Saturday).

BBJo

-

fraggle

Monday, September 17, 2007 7:44 PM

Re: Re: Vitamin D Supplements: They may help you live longer

from what i've read, 10-15 minutes of sun exposure twice per week is adequate fer most people

of course, living in soggy england come winter, and all bets are off....

tofuchick24 Sep 16, 2007 2:14 AM Re: Vitamin D Supplements: They may help you live longer

I read somewhere, fairly recently, that if you are outside in the sun for 10 mins. a day in short sleeves, the amount of sun you receive supplies sufficient vit. D. Of course I can't remember where I read this, so I'll be hunting for this soon! :)In school, we were taught to be careful with vitamins A,D,E, and K, because they were fat-soluble and could build up in the body to toxic levels. I'm not familiar with Stephen Walsh, I'd be interested in reading his information. Could you point me in the right direction, please? :) , "jo" <jo.heartwork wrote:>> Stephen Walsh recommends taking a supplement of between 10 and 20 micrograms per day. There are many results of research now saying that it is wise not to be deficient in vitamin D. It is well worth reading up on it.> > Jo> > - > Tracy H. > > Thursday, September 13, 2007 4:53 PM> Re: Vitamin D Supplements: They may help you live longer> > > I live in a suburb of Chicago. Average sun. I had just always heard that you had to be careful with Vitamin D. I do drink Vitamin D-fortified orange juice, though, to help with calcium absorption.>

Who is Patrick Holford? :) Nice to know about the sun issue, we

don't get much sun in the winter here either...although with global

warming...? And I'm not too enthused about walking around in short

sleeves in feet of snow or ice. LOL

>

> Apparently for at least six months of the year here there is not

enough sun to make the vitamin D (Patrick Holford newsletter received

on Saturday).

>

> BB

> Jo

>

> -

> fraggle

>

> Monday, September 17, 2007 7:44 PM

> Re: Re: Vitamin D Supplements: They may

help you live longer

>

>

> from what i've read, 10-15 minutes of sun exposure twice per week

is adequate fer most people

>

> of course, living in soggy england come winter, and all bets are

off....

> tofuchick24

> Sep 16, 2007 2:14 AM

>

> Re: Vitamin D Supplements: They may help

you live longer

>

> I read somewhere, fairly recently, that if you are outside in

the sun

> for 10 mins. a day in short sleeves, the amount of sun you

receive

> supplies sufficient vit. D. Of course I can't remember where I

read

> this, so I'll be hunting for this soon! :)

>

> In school, we were taught to be careful with vitamins A,D,E,

and K,

> because they were fat-soluble and could build up in the body to

toxic

> levels. I'm not familiar with Stephen Walsh, I'd be interested

in

> reading his information. Could you point me in the right

direction,

> please? :)

>

> , " jo " <jo.heartwork@> wrote:

> >

> > Stephen Walsh recommends taking a supplement of between 10

and 20

> micrograms per day. There are many results of research now

saying

> that it is wise not to be deficient in vitamin D. It is well

worth

> reading up on it.

> >

> > Jo

> >

> > -

> > Tracy H.

> >

> > Thursday, September 13, 2007 4:53 PM

> > Re: Vitamin D Supplements: They may

help

> you live longer

> >

> >

> > I live in a suburb of Chicago. Average sun. I had just always

> heard that you had to be careful with Vitamin D. I do drink

Vitamin D-

> fortified orange juice, though, to help with calcium absorption.

> >

>

global warming shouldn't affect how much sun one gets...

vitamin d production comes from skin production from the sun....

Global Warming is the increase of certain gases and related forces in the atmosphere trapping heat (greenhouse effect)...

of course...eventually, if we get a run away greenhouse effect, we won't see any sun,...hidden by a thick layer of clouds, ala Venus...

of course, Vitamin D would be the least of the worries of any inhabitants of this planet by that point....

"dang that suphuric acid rain again...two of my six legs done melted off...."

tofuchick24 Sep 17, 2007 2:05 PM Re: Vitamin D Supplements: They may help you live longer

Who is Patrick Holford? :) Nice to know about the sun issue, we don't get much sun in the winter here either...although with global warming...? And I'm not too enthused about walking around in short sleeves in feet of snow or ice. LOL , "jo" <jo.heartwork wrote:>> Apparently for at least six months of the year here there is not enough sun to make the vitamin D (Patrick Holford newsletter received on Saturday).> > BB> Jo> > - > fraggle > > Monday, September 17, 2007 7:44 PM> Re: Re: Vitamin D Supplements: They may help you live longer> > > from what i've read, 10-15 minutes of sun exposure twice per week is adequate fer most people> > of course, living in soggy england come winter, and all bets are off....> > > > > > > > tofuchick24 > Sep 16, 2007 2:14 AM > > Re: Vitamin D Supplements: They may help you live longer > > I read somewhere, fairly recently, that if you are outside in the sun > for 10 mins. a day in short sleeves, the amount of sun you receive > supplies sufficient vit. D. Of course I can't remember where I read > this, so I'll be hunting for this soon! :)> > In school, we were taught to be careful with vitamins A,D,E, and K, > because they were fat-soluble and could build up in the body to toxic > levels. I'm not familiar with Stephen Walsh, I'd be interested in > reading his information. Could you point me in the right direction, > please? :)> > , "jo" <jo.heartwork@> wrote:> >> > Stephen Walsh recommends taking a supplement of between 10 and 20 > micrograms per day. There are many results of research now saying > that it is wise not to be deficient in vitamin D. It is well worth > reading up on it.> > > > Jo> > > > - > > Tracy H. > > > > Thursday, September 13, 2007 4:53 PM> > Re: Vitamin D Supplements: They may help > you live longer> > > > > > I live in a suburb of Chicago. Average sun. I had just always > heard that you had to be careful with Vitamin D. I do drink Vitamin D-> fortified orange juice, though, to help with calcium absorption.> >>

He's a nutritionist in the UK - has had television programmes, and recently

did a programme where he went to a school and gave lessons on food and

nutrition and made sure they were eating the right things, with a few

supplements. The effect apparently was very good, with the education

benefitting from it, and just an all round improvement. He has written

about six books, and seems very sensible. Unfortunately he is not vegan,

but usually recommends vegetables, fruit and grains and legumes.

Jo

-

" tofuchick24 " <tofuchick

Monday, September 17, 2007 10:05 PM

Re: Vitamin D Supplements: They may help you live

longer

> Who is Patrick Holford? :) Nice to know about the sun issue, we

> don't get much sun in the winter here either...although with global

> warming...? And I'm not too enthused about walking around in short

> sleeves in feet of snow or ice. LOL

>

> , " jo " <jo.heartwork wrote:

> >

> > Apparently for at least six months of the year here there is not

> enough sun to make the vitamin D (Patrick Holford newsletter received

> on Saturday).

> >

> > BB

> > Jo

> >

> > -

> > fraggle

> >

> > Monday, September 17, 2007 7:44 PM

> > Re: Re: Vitamin D Supplements: They may

> help you live longer

> >

> >

> > from what i've read, 10-15 minutes of sun exposure twice per week

> is adequate fer most people

> >

> > of course, living in soggy england come winter, and all bets are

> off....

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > tofuchick24

> > Sep 16, 2007 2:14 AM

> >

> > Re: Vitamin D Supplements: They may help

> you live longer

> >

> > I read somewhere, fairly recently, that if you are outside in

> the sun

> > for 10 mins. a day in short sleeves, the amount of sun you

> receive

> > supplies sufficient vit. D. Of course I can't remember where I

> read

> > this, so I'll be hunting for this soon! :)

> >

> > In school, we were taught to be careful with vitamins A,D,E,

> and K,

> > because they were fat-soluble and could build up in the body to

> toxic

> > levels. I'm not familiar with Stephen Walsh, I'd be interested

> in

> > reading his information. Could you point me in the right

> direction,

> > please? :)

> >

> > , " jo " <jo.heartwork@> wrote:

> > >

> > > Stephen Walsh recommends taking a supplement of between 10

> and 20

> > micrograms per day. There are many results of research now

> saying

> > that it is wise not to be deficient in vitamin D. It is well

> worth

> > reading up on it.

> > >

> > > Jo

> > >

> > > -

> > > Tracy H.

> > >

> > > Thursday, September 13, 2007 4:53 PM

> > > Re: Vitamin D Supplements: They may

> help

> > you live longer

> > >

> > >

> > > I live in a suburb of Chicago. Average sun. I had just always

> > heard that you had to be careful with Vitamin D. I do drink

> Vitamin D-

> > fortified orange juice, though, to help with calcium absorption.

> > >

> >

>

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

How does his advice compare to Andrew Weil? There's so darn much,

usually conflicting, stuff out there I'm just really trying to get

more info. :)

I'll look and see if I can find some of his books. Would they be in

a mainstream bookstore? Our library is absolutely pathetic.

>

> He's a nutritionist in the UK - has had television programmes, and

recently

> did a programme where he went to a school and gave lessons on food

and

> nutrition and made sure they were eating the right things, with a

few

> supplements. The effect apparently was very good, with the

education

> benefitting from it, and just an all round improvement. He has

written

> about six books, and seems very sensible. Unfortunately he is not

vegan,

> but usually recommends vegetables, fruit and grains and legumes.

>

> Jo

>

> -

> " tofuchick24 " <tofuchick

>

> Monday, September 17, 2007 10:05 PM

> Re: Vitamin D Supplements: They may help you

live

> longer

>

>

> > Who is Patrick Holford? :) Nice to know about the sun issue, we

> > don't get much sun in the winter here either...although with

global

> > warming...? And I'm not too enthused about walking around in

short

> > sleeves in feet of snow or ice. LOL

> >

> > >

> > > Apparently for at least six months of the year here there is not

> > enough sun to make the vitamin D (Patrick Holford newsletter

received

> > on Saturday).

> > >

> > > BB

> > > Jo

> > >

> > > -

> > > fraggle

> > >

> > > Monday, September 17, 2007 7:44 PM

> > > Re: Re: Vitamin D Supplements: They may

> > help you live longer

> > >

> > >

> > > from what i've read, 10-15 minutes of sun exposure twice per

week

> > is adequate fer most people

> > >

> > > of course, living in soggy england come winter, and all bets

are

> > off....

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > tofuchick24

> > > Sep 16, 2007 2:14 AM

> > >

> > > Re: Vitamin D Supplements: They may

help

> > you live longer

> > >

> > > I read somewhere, fairly recently, that if you are outside

in

> > the sun

> > > for 10 mins. a day in short sleeves, the amount of sun you

> > receive

> > > supplies sufficient vit. D. Of course I can't remember

where I

> > read

> > > this, so I'll be hunting for this soon! :)

> > >

> > > In school, we were taught to be careful with vitamins A,D,E,

> > and K,

> > > because they were fat-soluble and could build up in the

body to

> > toxic

> > > levels. I'm not familiar with Stephen Walsh, I'd be

interested

> > in

> > > reading his information. Could you point me in the right

> > direction,

> > > please? :)

> > >

> > > , " jo " <jo.heartwork@>

wrote:

> > > >

> > > > Stephen Walsh recommends taking a supplement of between 10

> > and 20

> > > micrograms per day. There are many results of research now

> > saying

> > > that it is wise not to be deficient in vitamin D. It is well

> > worth

> > > reading up on it.

> > > >

> > > > Jo

> > > >

> > > > -

> > > > Tracy H.

> > > >

> > > > Thursday, September 13, 2007 4:53 PM

> > > > Re: Vitamin D Supplements: They may

> > help

> > > you live longer

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > I live in a suburb of Chicago. Average sun. I had just

always

> > > heard that you had to be careful with Vitamin D. I do drink

> > Vitamin D-

> > > fortified orange juice, though, to help with calcium

absorption.

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > To send an email to -

> >

I don't know - I haven't really read much of Andrew Weil. Patrick Holford

is sensible, seems to have researched very well. Although not a vegan, he

mostly advises the health qualities of fruit and vegetables, legumes etc.

and says dairy is not good for you, and to try to cut out meat.

Unfortunately he does recommend fish for the EFAs but maybe he'll cotton on

to the flax seeds, walnuts etc. later on.

Jo

-

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 12:56 AM

longer

> How does his advice compare to Andrew Weil? There's so darn much,

> usually conflicting, stuff out there I'm just really trying to get

> more info. :)

>

> I'll look and see if I can find some of his books. Would they be in

> a mainstream bookstore? Our library is absolutely pathetic.

>

> >

> > He's a nutritionist in the UK - has had television programmes, and

> recently

> > did a programme where he went to a school and gave lessons on food

> and

> > nutrition and made sure they were eating the right things, with a

> few

> > supplements. The effect apparently was very good, with the

> education

> > benefitting from it, and just an all round improvement. He has

> written

> > about six books, and seems very sensible. Unfortunately he is not

> vegan,

> > but usually recommends vegetables, fruit and grains and legumes.

> >

> > Jo

> >

> > -

> > " tofuchick24 " <tofuchick

> >

> > Monday, September 17, 2007 10:05 PM

> > Re: Vitamin D Supplements: They may help you

> live

> > longer

> >

> >

> > > Who is Patrick Holford? :) Nice to know about the sun issue, we

> > > don't get much sun in the winter here either...although with

> global

> > > warming...? And I'm not too enthused about walking around in

> short

> > > sleeves in feet of snow or ice. LOL

> > >

> > > , " jo " <jo.heartwork@> wrote:

> > > >

> > > > Apparently for at least six months of the year here there is not

> > > enough sun to make the vitamin D (Patrick Holford newsletter

> received

> > > on Saturday).

> > > >

> > > > BB

> > > > Jo

> > > >

> > > > -

> > > > fraggle

> > > >

> > > > Monday, September 17, 2007 7:44 PM

> > > > Re: Re: Vitamin D Supplements: They may

> > > help you live longer

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > from what i've read, 10-15 minutes of sun exposure twice per

> week

> > > is adequate fer most people

> > > >

> > > > of course, living in soggy england come winter, and all bets

> are

> > > off....

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > tofuchick24

> > > > Sep 16, 2007 2:14 AM

> > > >

> > > > Re: Vitamin D Supplements: They may

> help

> > > you live longer

> > > >

> > > > I read somewhere, fairly recently, that if you are outside

> in

> > > the sun

> > > > for 10 mins. a day in short sleeves, the amount of sun you

> > > receive

> > > > supplies sufficient vit. D. Of course I can't remember

> where I

> > > read

> > > > this, so I'll be hunting for this soon! :)

> > > >

> > > > In school, we were taught to be careful with vitamins A,D,E,

> > > and K,

> > > > because they were fat-soluble and could build up in the

> body to

> > > toxic

> > > > levels. I'm not familiar with Stephen Walsh, I'd be

> interested

> > > in

> > > > reading his information. Could you point me in the right

> > > direction,

> > > > please? :)

> > > >

> > > > , " jo " <jo.heartwork@>

> wrote:

> > > > >

> > > > > Stephen Walsh recommends taking a supplement of between 10

> > > and 20

> > > > micrograms per day. There are many results of research now

> > > saying

> > > > that it is wise not to be deficient in vitamin D. It is well

> > > worth

> > > > reading up on it.

> > > > >

> > > > > Jo

> > > > >

> > > > > -

> > > > > Tracy H.

> > > > >

> > > > > Thursday, September 13, 2007 4:53 PM

> > > > > Re: Vitamin D Supplements: They may

> > > help

> > > > you live longer

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > I live in a suburb of Chicago. Average sun. I had just

> always

> > > > heard that you had to be careful with Vitamin D. I do drink

> > > Vitamin D-

> > > > fortified orange juice, though, to help with calcium

> absorption.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > To send an email to -

>

> > >

LOL I'll look and see if I can find anything by him. :) I just

kinda ignore the non-vegan advice when I read other sources. LOL

Who knows, Dr. Spock went veg. <grin>

>

> I don't know - I haven't really read much of Andrew Weil. Patrick

Holford

> is sensible, seems to have researched very well. Although not a

vegan, he

> mostly advises the health qualities of fruit and vegetables,

legumes etc.

> and says dairy is not good for you, and to try to cut out meat.

> Unfortunately he does recommend fish for the EFAs but maybe he'll

cotton on

> to the flax seeds, walnuts etc. later on.

>

> Jo

>

> -

>

> Tuesday, September 18, 2007 12:56 AM

live

> longer

>

>

> > How does his advice compare to Andrew Weil? There's so darn much,

> > usually conflicting, stuff out there I'm just really trying to get

> > more info. :)

> >

> > I'll look and see if I can find some of his books. Would they be

in

> > a mainstream bookstore? Our library is absolutely pathetic.

> >

> > >

> > > He's a nutritionist in the UK - has had television programmes,

and

> > recently

> > > did a programme where he went to a school and gave lessons on

food

> > and

> > > nutrition and made sure they were eating the right things, with

a

> > few

> > > supplements. The effect apparently was very good, with the

> > education

> > > benefitting from it, and just an all round improvement. He has

> > written

> > > about six books, and seems very sensible. Unfortunately he is

not

> > vegan,

> > > but usually recommends vegetables, fruit and grains and legumes.

> > >

> > > Jo

> > >

> > > -

> > > " tofuchick24 " <tofuchick@>

> > >

> > > Monday, September 17, 2007 10:05 PM

> > > Re: Vitamin D Supplements: They may help

you

> > live

> > > longer

> > >

> > >

> > > > Who is Patrick Holford? :) Nice to know about the sun

issue, we

> > > > don't get much sun in the winter here either...although with

> > global

> > > > warming...? And I'm not too enthused about walking around in

> > short

> > > > sleeves in feet of snow or ice. LOL

> > > >

> > > > , " jo " <jo.heartwork@> wrote:

> > > > >

> > > > > Apparently for at least six months of the year here there

is not

> > > > enough sun to make the vitamin D (Patrick Holford newsletter

> > received

> > > > on Saturday).

> > > > >

> > > > > BB

> > > > > Jo

> > > > >

> > > > > -

> > > > > fraggle

> > > > >

> > > > > Monday, September 17, 2007 7:44 PM

> > > > > Re: Re: Vitamin D Supplements: They

may

> > > > help you live longer

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > from what i've read, 10-15 minutes of sun exposure twice

per

> > week

> > > > is adequate fer most people

> > > > >

> > > > > of course, living in soggy england come winter, and all

bets

> > are

> > > > off....

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > tofuchick24

> > > > > Sep 16, 2007 2:14 AM

> > > > >

> > > > > Re: Vitamin D Supplements: They

may

> > help

> > > > you live longer

> > > > >

> > > > > I read somewhere, fairly recently, that if you are

outside

> > in

> > > > the sun

> > > > > for 10 mins. a day in short sleeves, the amount of sun

you

> > > > receive

> > > > > supplies sufficient vit. D. Of course I can't remember

> > where I

> > > > read

> > > > > this, so I'll be hunting for this soon! :)

> > > > >

> > > > > In school, we were taught to be careful with vitamins

A,D,E,

> > > > and K,

> > > > > because they were fat-soluble and could build up in the

> > body to

> > > > toxic

> > > > > levels. I'm not familiar with Stephen Walsh, I'd be

> > interested

> > > > in

> > > > > reading his information. Could you point me in the right

> > > > direction,

> > > > > please? :)

> > > > >

> > > > > , " jo " <jo.heartwork@>

> > wrote:

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Stephen Walsh recommends taking a supplement of

between 10

> > > > and 20

> > > > > micrograms per day. There are many results of research

now

> > > > saying

> > > > > that it is wise not to be deficient in vitamin D. It is

well

> > > > worth

> > > > > reading up on it.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Jo

> > > > > >

> > > > > > -

> > > > > > Tracy H.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Thursday, September 13, 2007 4:53 PM

> > > > > > Re: Vitamin D Supplements: They

may

> > > > help

> > > > > you live longer

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I live in a suburb of Chicago. Average sun. I had just

> > always

> > > > > heard that you had to be careful with Vitamin D. I do

drink

> > > > Vitamin D-

> > > > > fortified orange juice, though, to help with calcium

> > absorption.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > To send an email to -

> >

> > > >

Yes, he did! I agree about ignoring the bits that aren't vegan. He has a

lot of sensible advice anyway.

Jo

-

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:22 PM

longer

> LOL I'll look and see if I can find anything by him. :) I just

> kinda ignore the non-vegan advice when I read other sources. LOL

> Who knows, Dr. Spock went veg. <grin>

>

> >

> > I don't know - I haven't really read much of Andrew Weil. Patrick

> Holford

> > is sensible, seems to have researched very well. Although not a

> vegan, he

> > mostly advises the health qualities of fruit and vegetables,

> legumes etc.

> > and says dairy is not good for you, and to try to cut out meat.

> > Unfortunately he does recommend fish for the EFAs but maybe he'll

> cotton on

> > to the flax seeds, walnuts etc. later on.

> >

> > Jo

I've read a lot of Andrew Weil's books and like them, even though

he's not vegan, so I just disregard the nonvegan parts. One thing he

says that I haven't seen anywhere else is to not eat mushrooms

raw.

I missed the orginal question or comment. Basically, the only

nutrition advice I trust is from vegan sources. PCRM has a

NutritionMD.org web page with nutrition advice from vegan MDs! I found

this when I searched for info on vitamin D:

Individuals often drink milk in order to obtain

vitamin D in their diet, unaware that they can receive vitamin D

through other sources. The natural source of vitamin D is sunlight.

Five to fifteen minutes of sun exposure to the arms and legs or the

hands, face, and arms can be enough to meet the body's requirements

for vitamin D, depending on the individual's skin tone.

http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/dairy.html

>-

> " tofuchick24 "

<tofuchick

>Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:22 PM

>

>> LOL I'll look and see if I can find anything by

him. :) I just

>> kinda ignore the non-vegan advice when I read other sources.

LOL

>> Who knows, Dr. Spock went veg. <grin>

i've heard that a couple times

i believe mushrooms have hydrazines in them (but don't quote me), which are destroyed when cooked...

also, the chitin (the cell walls) in mushrooms is supposed to be tough for humans to digest, so some folks get nauseaous when eating raw mushrooms

me..i've never really noticed much when i've eaten scads of mushrooms, but then again, i'm strange...

yarrow Sep 19, 2007 3:10 PM Re: Re: Vitamin D Supplements: They may help you live longer

I've read a lot of Andrew Weil's books and like them, even though he's not vegan, so I just disregard the nonvegan parts. One thing he says that I haven't seen anywhere else is to not eat mushrooms raw.

To send an email to -

Change settings via the Web ( ID required) Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format to Traditional Visit Your Group | Terms of Use | Un

Recent Activity

New MembersVisit Your Group

Sitebuilder

Build a web site

quickly & easily

with Sitebuilder.

Dog Zone

Connect w/others

who love dogs.

Search Ads

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Search.

Are there any titles in particular I should hunt for first? :) I

plan on venturing far afield this weekend, wish list in hand and

hitting various health food stores. :) Closest one is about 30

miles away...lol There are a bunch of bookstores to browse too.

hehehe

>

> Yes, he did! I agree about ignoring the bits that aren't vegan.

He has a

> lot of sensible advice anyway.

>

> Jo

>

>

> -

>

> Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:22 PM

live

> longer

>

>

> > LOL I'll look and see if I can find anything by him. :) I just

> > kinda ignore the non-vegan advice when I read other sources. LOL

> > Who knows, Dr. Spock went veg. <grin>

> >

> > >

> > > I don't know - I haven't really read much of Andrew Weil.

Patrick

> > Holford

> > > is sensible, seems to have researched very well. Although not a

> > vegan, he

> > > mostly advises the health qualities of fruit and vegetables,

> > legumes etc.

> > > and says dairy is not good for you, and to try to cut out meat.

> > > Unfortunately he does recommend fish for the EFAs but maybe

he'll

> > cotton on

> > > to the flax seeds, walnuts etc. later on.

> > >

> > > Jo

>

cool site, thanks. I saved it to read more thoroughly later. I did

notice, briefly, that I didn't see, under the osteoporosis section

about leeching? My mom had a 25% bone mass loss and her specialist

absolutely forbid her to have dairy...she didn't listen. She

actually broke 3 ribs coughing, not to mention other weird stuff.

I've also heard that phosphoric acid (it's in coke) can take calcium

out of your bones.

The no raw mushrooms is a new one on me. Did he say why? I love raw

mushrooms, albeit I go with organic storebought. LOL

, yarrow wrote:

>

> I've read a lot of Andrew Weil's books and like them, even though

> he's not vegan, so I just disregard the nonvegan parts. One thing

he

> says that I haven't seen anywhere else is to not eat mushrooms raw.

>

> I missed the orginal question or comment. Basically, the only

> nutrition advice I trust is from vegan sources. PCRM has a

> NutritionMD.org web page with nutrition advice from vegan MDs! I

> found this when I searched for info on vitamin D:

>

> Individuals often drink milk in order to obtain vitamin D in

their

> diet, unaware that they can receive vitamin D through other

sources.

> The natural source of vitamin D is sunlight. Five to fifteen

minutes

> of sun exposure to the arms and legs or the hands, face, and arms

can

> be enough to meet the body's requirements for vitamin D, depending

on

> the individual's skin tone.

> http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/dairy.html

>

>

>

>

> >-

> >Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:22 PM

> >

> >> LOL I'll look and see if I can find anything by him. :) I

just

> >> kinda ignore the non-vegan advice when I read other sources.

LOL

> >> Who knows, Dr. Spock went veg. <grin>

>

That is true in certain climes at certain times of the year, but

unfortunately not all through the year. Also as you get older,

apparently, you are less able to make the changes necessary to ensure

enough vitamin D even if there is enough sun, in the right position.

As lots of the latest research seems to indicate that lack of vitamin

D is implicated in many illnesses, including various cancers, it is

worth paying attention to getting enough vitamin D from foods

supplemented with it, or supplements.

Jo

, yarrow wrote:

>

> I've read a lot of Andrew Weil's books and like them, even though

> he's not vegan, so I just disregard the nonvegan parts. One thing

he

> says that I haven't seen anywhere else is to not eat mushrooms raw.

>

> I missed the orginal question or comment. Basically, the only

> nutrition advice I trust is from vegan sources. PCRM has a

> NutritionMD.org web page with nutrition advice from vegan MDs! I

> found this when I searched for info on vitamin D:

>

> Individuals often drink milk in order to obtain vitamin D in

their

> diet, unaware that they can receive vitamin D through other

sources.

> The natural source of vitamin D is sunlight. Five to fifteen

minutes

> of sun exposure to the arms and legs or the hands, face, and arms

can

> be enough to meet the body's requirements for vitamin D, depending

on

> the individual's skin tone.

> http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/dairy.html

>

>

>

>

> >-

> >Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:22 PM

> >

> >> LOL I'll look and see if I can find anything by him. :) I

just

> >> kinda ignore the non-vegan advice when I read other sources.

LOL

> >> Who knows, Dr. Spock went veg. <grin>

>

I would suggest Patrick Holford's 'New Optimum Nutrition Bible', and

Stephen Walsh' 'Plant Based Nutrition & Health', which is vegan.

Good luck with the search - it should be interesting.

Jo

, " tofuchick24 " <tofuchick

wrote:

>

> Are there any titles in particular I should hunt for first? :) I

> plan on venturing far afield this weekend, wish list in hand and

> hitting various health food stores. :) Closest one is about 30

> miles away...lol There are a bunch of bookstores to browse too.

> hehehe

>

> , " jo " <jo.heartwork@> wrote:

> >

> > Yes, he did! I agree about ignoring the bits that aren't vegan.

> He has a

> > lot of sensible advice anyway.

> >

> > Jo

> >

> >

> > -

> > " tofuchick24 " <tofuchick@>

> >

> > Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:22 PM

> > Re: Vitamin D Supplements: They may help

you

> live

> > longer

> >

> >

> > > LOL I'll look and see if I can find anything by him. :) I

just

> > > kinda ignore the non-vegan advice when I read other sources.

LOL

> > > Who knows, Dr. Spock went veg. <grin>

> > >

> > > , " jo " <jo.heartwork@> wrote:

> > > >

> > > > I don't know - I haven't really read much of Andrew Weil.

> Patrick

> > > Holford

> > > > is sensible, seems to have researched very well. Although

not a

> > > vegan, he

> > > > mostly advises the health qualities of fruit and vegetables,

> > > legumes etc.

> > > > and says dairy is not good for you, and to try to cut out

meat.

> > > > Unfortunately he does recommend fish for the EFAs but maybe

> he'll

> > > cotton on

> > > > to the flax seeds, walnuts etc. later on.

> > > >

> > > > Jo

> >

>

Thanks, I'll let you know what I can find. LOL I tried the one and

only bookstore here in my town and unless it's " christian " I can't

get it. Road trip...lol

, " heartwerk " <jo.heartwork

wrote:

>

> I would suggest Patrick Holford's 'New Optimum Nutrition Bible',

and

> Stephen Walsh' 'Plant Based Nutrition & Health', which is vegan.

>

> Good luck with the search - it should be interesting.

>

> Jo

>

> , " tofuchick24 " <tofuchick@>

> wrote:

> >

> > Are there any titles in particular I should hunt for first? :)

I

> > plan on venturing far afield this weekend, wish list in hand and

> > hitting various health food stores. :) Closest one is about 30

> > miles away...lol There are a bunch of bookstores to browse too.

> > hehehe

> >

> > >

> > > Yes, he did! I agree about ignoring the bits that aren't

vegan.

> > He has a

> > > lot of sensible advice anyway.

> > >

> > > Jo

> > >

> > >

> > > -

> > > " tofuchick24 " <tofuchick@>

> > >

> > > Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:22 PM

> > > Re: Vitamin D Supplements: They may help

> you

> > live

> > > longer

> > >

> > >

> > > > LOL I'll look and see if I can find anything by him. :) I

> just

> > > > kinda ignore the non-vegan advice when I read other sources.

> LOL

> > > > Who knows, Dr. Spock went veg. <grin>

> > > >

> > > > , " jo " <jo.heartwork@> wrote:

> > > > >

> > > > > I don't know - I haven't really read much of Andrew Weil.

> > Patrick

> > > > Holford

> > > > > is sensible, seems to have researched very well. Although

> not a

> > > > vegan, he

> > > > > mostly advises the health qualities of fruit and vegetables,

> > > > legumes etc.

> > > > > and says dairy is not good for you, and to try to cut out

> meat.

> > > > > Unfortunately he does recommend fish for the EFAs but maybe

> > he'll

> > > > cotton on

> > > > > to the flax seeds, walnuts etc. later on.

> > > > >

> > > > > Jo

> > >

> >

>