IndiaDivine.org

A pint??? Why that's very nearly an armful!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

> Message: 20

> Sun, 24 Feb 2002 20:55:14 -0000

> " Angie Wright " <angiewright

> Re: Re: off topic...this can't be true

>

> Mind you I am confused about giving blood. If I give it , it will

invariably go to an animal eater. It may even help to keep a hunter

alive . If only I could donate to veggies

Perhaps it would be nice if we could all specify that our precious

bodily fluids only go to people we like or agree with, or who's

ethics and worldview happen to match our own.

Unfortunately however, giving blood is still one of the few

remaining opportunities to practice unconditional altuism here in the

21st century.

Happily the other side of the coin is that it works both ways, so you

might get to live thanks to a donation from an omnivore, even though

s/he might be totally opposed to your views.

funny old world ennit?

Graham

PS. How's about a scheme where only those who give blood are entitled

to recieve blood back? Seems fair to me, and no more difficult for

the NHS to administer than some vegans only register scheme...

Hi Graham

> PS. How's about a scheme where only those who give blood are entitled

> to recieve blood back? Seems fair to me, and no more difficult for

> the NHS to administer than some vegans only register scheme...

I'd have to object to that as I *can't* give blood - I had meningitis when I

was a child, and have been told that they can't use my blood because of it!

BB

Peter

---

Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).

Version: 6.0.324 / Virus Database: 181 - Release 14/02/02

same here..i had hep years ago

" Peter " <Snowbow wrote:

>Hi Graham

>

>> PS. How's about a scheme where only those who give blood are entitled

>> to recieve blood back? Seems fair to me, and no more difficult for

>> the NHS to administer than some vegans only register scheme...

>

>I'd have to object to that as I *can't* give blood - I had meningitis when I

>was a child, and have been told that they can't use my blood because of it!

>

>BB

>Peter

>

>

>---

>Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

>Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).

>Version: 6.0.324 / Virus Database: 181 - Release 14/02/02

>

>

>

>To send an email to -

>

>

I heard someone on the television saying they wouldn't give blood in case it

went to a coloured person !!!!

Can you believe some people?

Jo

> > Mind you I am confused about giving blood. If I give it , it will

> invariably go to an animal eater. It may even help to keep a hunter

> alive . If only I could donate to veggies

---

> > PS. How's about a scheme where only those who give blood are

entitled

> > to recieve blood back? Seems fair to me, and no more difficult for

> > the NHS to administer than some vegans only register scheme...

>

> I'd have to object to that as I *can't* give blood - I had

meningitis when I

> was a child, and have been told that they can't use my blood

because of it!

Hi pete, I was being sarcastic ;-)

Just trying to make the point that any system by which we can start

picking and choosing who recieves or doesn't recieve any blood that

we donate would not only be completely unworkable for an already

overstretched NHS, but would also stand utterly in opposition to the

principles of unconditional altruism upon which the blood donor

system is based...

Cheers Graham

I think that is quite different though, judging on behaviour, conduct, character, etc, including judging for animal-eating, is reasonable and is quite different from judging on skin colour.

Lesley

Jo [Heartwork]25 February 2002 18:49 Subject: Re: A pint??? Why that's very nearly an armful!I heard someone on the television saying they wouldn't give blood in case itwent to a coloured person !!!!Can you believe some people?Jo> > Mind you I am confused about giving blood. If I give it , it will> invariably go to an animal eater. It may even help to keep a hunter> alive . If only I could donate to veggies---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.324 / Virus Database: 181 - Release 14/02/02To send an email to -

Not everyone can give blood of course, not everyone is in good health to give blood, and obviously people with blood borne diseases can't, so I can't agree with your PS.

Lesley

quercusrobur2002 [grahamburnett]25 February 2002 17:50 Subject: A pint??? Why that's very nearly an armful!> Message: 20> Sun, 24 Feb 2002 20:55:14 -0000> "Angie Wright" <angiewright> Re: Re: off topic...this can't be true> > Mind you I am confused about giving blood. If I give it , it will invariably go to an animal eater. It may even help to keep a hunter alive . If only I could donate to veggiesPerhaps it would be nice if we could all specify that our precious bodily fluids only go to people we like or agree with, or who's ethics and worldview happen to match our own.Unfortunately however, giving blood is still one of the few remaining opportunities to practice unconditional altuism here in the 21st century.Happily the other side of the coin is that it works both ways, so you might get to live thanks to a donation from an omnivore, even though s/he might be totally opposed to your views.funny old world ennit?GrahamPS. How's about a scheme where only those who give blood are entitled to recieve blood back? Seems fair to me, and no more difficult for the NHS to administer than some vegans only register scheme...To send an email to -

But some people will not be healthy enough to ever give blood !!!

I'd still prefer the vegan register , and I reckon we'd all give to that

-

" quercusrobur2002 " <grahamburnett

Monday, February 25, 2002 5:50 PM

, you

> might get to live thanks to a donation from an omnivore, even though

> s/he might be totally opposed to your views.

>

>

> Graham

>

> PS. How's about a scheme where only those who give blood are entitled

> to recieve blood back? Seems fair to me, and no more difficult for

> the NHS to administer than some vegans only register scheme...

>

To send an email to -

>

>

Lesley

My blood clotting time is just outside normal. I absolutely hate it if I have to have a blood test because I get enormous bruising. Even when I had a finger prick test for cholesterol (which incidentally was apparently an exceptionally good result) it took 50 minutes of me pressing on my finger with a tissue to stop bleeding. Needless to say, I don't offer blood.

Jo

Not everyone can give blood of course, not everyone is in good health to give blood, and obviously people with blood borne diseases can't, so I can't agree with your PS.

Lesley

quercusrobur2002 [grahamburnett]25 February 2002 17:50 Subject: A pint??? Why that's very nearly an armful!> Message: 20> Sun, 24 Feb 2002 20:55:14 -0000> "Angie Wright" <angiewright> Re: Re: off topic...this can't be true> > Mind you I am confused about giving blood. If I give it , it will invariably go to an animal eater. It may even help to keep a hunter alive . If only I could donate to veggiesPerhaps it would be nice if we could all specify that our precious bodily fluids only go to people we like or agree with, or who's ethics and worldview happen to match our own.Unfortunately however, giving blood is still one of the few remaining opportunities to practice unconditional altuism here in the 21st century.Happily the other side of the coin is that it works both ways, so you might get to live thanks to a donation from an omnivore, even though s/he might be totally opposed to your views.funny old world ennit?GrahamPS. How's about a scheme where only those who give blood are entitled to recieve blood back? Seems fair to me, and no more difficult for the NHS to administer than some vegans only register scheme...To send an email to -

I agree with Lesley

I would not want my blood to go to a murderer or rapist.

Jo

I think that is quite different though, judging on behaviour, conduct, character, etc, including judging for animal-eating, is reasonable and is quite different from judging on skin colour

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.324 / Virus Database: 181 - Release 14/02/02

When I was in hospital just over a year ago, I had so many blood tests that my arms looked like I had been in a few rounds with Mike Tyson - I had huge dark purple bruises, but the doctors still insisted on taking blood tests through the bruises. I nearly hit the ceiling! LOL!

Its sort of put me off now!

Janey

x

-

Jo

Tuesday, February 26, 2002 8:05 AM

Re: A pint??? Why that's very nearly an armful!

Lesley

My blood clotting time is just outside normal. I absolutely hate it if I have to have a blood test because I get enormous bruising. Even when I had a finger prick test for cholesterol (which incidentally was apparently an exceptionally good result) it took 50 minutes of me pressing on my finger with a tissue to stop bleeding. Needless to say, I don't offer blood.

Jo

Lesley

Janey

Ouch!

Jo

When I was in hospital just over a year ago, I had so many blood tests that my arms looked like I had been in a few rounds with Mike Tyson - I had huge dark purple bruises, but the doctors still insisted on taking blood tests through the bruises

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.324 / Virus Database: 181 - Release 14/02/02

Poor Lucy had terribly bruised hands from all the blood testing they did on her in the first few hours after birth. I even felt I didn't want to take her for follow-up appointments - too upsetting to see her being prodded even though she didn't cry much at all. Despite all the tests showing she was fine and her blood was fortunately not affected by my antibodies (the problem was Rhesus incompatibility) they still wanted to do more blood tests and did do one more a few weeks later to check yet again for anaemia caused by my antibodies before finally declaring her discharged. Maybe they found it hard to believe she was so well despite my funny blood results! They never made an issue of my veganism, I'm glad to say.

I've hardly never had a problem with bruising or even much pain when they take my blood though, can be down to the skill of the person doing it I think, but with babies it's hard to find the tiny vein.

Lesley

Janey [jane.cuming]26 February 2002 12:16 Subject: Re: A pint??? Why that's very nearly an armful!

When I was in hospital just over a year ago, I had so many blood tests that my arms looked like I had been in a few rounds with Mike Tyson - I had huge dark purple bruises, but the doctors still insisted on taking blood tests through the bruises. I nearly hit the ceiling! LOL!

Janey

x

-

Jo

Tuesday, February 26, 2002 8:05 AM

Re: A pint??? Why that's very nearly an armful!

Lesley

Jo

Lesley

Hi Graham,

>PS. How's about a scheme where only those who give

>blood are entitled

>to recieve blood back? Seems fair to me, and no more

>difficult for the NHS to administer than some vegans

>only register scheme...

aaaaahhh, disaster - you have to be over 8 stone to

give blood and I'm not -

Actually in Ireland, you have to pay if you use the

hospital, including accident & emergency, but they run

a scheme whereby you build up points when you give

pints and these can be redeemed against any hospital

visits! summat like that anyway -

take care,

Joeann

Everything you'll ever need on one web page

from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts

http://uk.my.

Like I said in my mail below, my blood tests were done by doctors. One made a right mess of it too and it bloody hurt! Most nurses take blood and you never feel a thing! I guess they do it all the time, but doctors don't.

Janey

x

I've hardly never had a problem with bruising or even much pain when they take my blood though, can be down to the skill of the person doing it I think, but with babies it's hard to find the tiny vein.

Lesley

Janey

x

sounds like skating on this ice to me

Most folks are murderers aren't they??

We allow our govt's to kill, pilage and destroy in our name don't we?

*shows blood on paws*

besides, wot if , oh, the tories only decided to give blood to other tories? wot

if the rich decided that they would only give blood to those folks who only made

over $100 thousand a year?

who gets to choose?

sounds pretty hinky to me....

fraggle

" Jo " <Heartwork wrote:

>I agree with Lesley

>

>I would not want my blood to go to a murderer or rapist.

>

>Jo

>

> I think that is quite different though, judging on behaviour, conduct,

character, etc, including judging for animal-eating, is reasonable and is quite

different from judging on skin colour

>

>

> ---

> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).

> Version: 6.0.324 / Virus Database: 181 - Release 14/02/02

>

>

> I would not want my blood to go to a murderer or rapist.

>

> Jo

>

would you be happy to be a part of a society that witheld medical

care to such people?

would this not be a form of capital punishment?

would this be that mark of a civilised society?

who would get to decide?

Graham

Hi Fraggle

> wot if the rich decided that they would only give blood to those folks who

only made over $100 thousand a year?

It wouldn't surprise me if they do!!!!!

BB

Peter

---

Graham

> would you be happy to be a part of a society that witheld medical

> care to such people?

No - I stand corrected. I hadn't thought about it in depth.

Jo

---

Yup. That sounds typical. Junior House Officers (first year out of med

school) spent their lives being taught everything they really need to go

by nurses. Try not to get injured on the first week of a rotation!

--- Janey ---

Like I said in my mail below, my blood tests were done by doctors. One

made a right mess of it too and it bloody hurt! Most

nurses take blood and you never feel a thing! I guess they do it all

the time, but doctors don't.

Janey

x

--

Ian McDonald

http://www.mcdonald.me.uk/