IndiaDivine.org

Yuck

Rate this topic

Guest guest

> cup of tea and poured some soya milk out, one of the solicitors

said *yuck*

Did it curdle, in which case he may have had a point :-)

I think it would do the vegan cause a great service if somebody were

to market a non-curdling soya milk...

Graham

I've never had it curdling in tea, coffee maybe, but Janey said she was having tea. He was obviously showing extreme anti-vegan prejudice.

Lesley

quercusrobur2002 [grahamburnett]26 February 2002 20:49 Subject: Yuck> cup of tea and poured some soya milk out, one of the solicitors said *yuck*Did it curdle, in which case he may have had a point :-)I think it would do the vegan cause a great service if somebody were to market a non-curdling soya milk...GrahamTo send an email to -

Mine never curdles . you have to put lots in or have weak coffee

-

" quercusrobur2002 " <grahamburnett

Tuesday, February 26, 2002 8:48 PM

Yuck

>

> I think it would do the vegan cause a great service if somebody were

> to market a non-curdling soya milk...

>

> Graham

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

, " Angie Wright " <angiewright@n...> wrote:

> Mine never curdles . you have to put lots in or have weak coffee

Mine neither. but coffee made for for someone else (esp a non vegan

visitor) invariably does :(

No, I was making tea and it never curdles. It does in coffee, but I don't

drink that anymore.

Anyway, he said *yuck* as I was pouring it. But he was commenting on the

carton.

Janey

x

-

Tuesday, February 26, 2002 8:48 PM

Yuck

>

> > cup of tea and poured some soya milk out, one of the solicitors

> said *yuck*

>

> Did it curdle, in which case he may have had a point :-)

>

> I think it would do the vegan cause a great service if somebody were

> to market a non-curdling soya milk...

>

> Graham

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

hehe,you should " accidentally " throw some scalding tea on them.

hehe,sorry...couldn't resist.

Chris X

> I've never had it curdling in tea, coffee maybe, but Janey said

she was having tea. He was obviously showing extreme anti-vegan

prejudice.

>

> Lesley

In a message dated 2/26/02 2:49:28 PM Pacific Standard Time,

angiewright writes:

<< Mine never curdles . you have to put lots in or have weak coffee >>

doesn't the teperature have something to do with it?

if you warm the soy ,ilk, and put it in warm tea(not boiling), it should be ok

fraggle

Hi Lesley,

> He was obviously

> showing extreme anti-vegan prejudice.

well was he? how do you know? He may once have had an

extremely bad experience with a Soya Milk carton -

maybe it had fallen out of the fridge and split milk

all over his best suit -

Or maybe he had drunk soya milk before and was just

admitting that he thought it was yuck - did Janey

query him any further as to his reaction?

You cant just assume that he was showing anti-vegan

prejudice when you know nothing about the situation or

person involved.

maybe that was Janeys cue (?) to ask him if he'd used

it before? or if he'd like to try some?

hey, I dunno - but I must admit I dont get any grief

about being vegan - at the moment I'm having a mix of

sunflower & pumpkin seeds for lunch and people in my

office are just joining in and having some too -

be more positive - dont always see the negative side

of everything - give people the benefit of the doubt -

a lot of people are just struggling to exist in a

world obviously gone mad!

take it easy,

Joeann

Everything you'll ever need on one web page

from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts

http://uk.my.

Maybe he objected that the packaging was not as environmentally friendly as moo juice bottles! I doubt it though.

Lesley

Janey [jane.cuming]27 February 2002 07:37 Subject: Re: YuckNo, I was making tea and it never curdles. It does in coffee, but I don'tdrink that anymore.Anyway, he said *yuck* as I was pouring it. But he was commenting on thecarton.Janeyx-"quercusrobur2002" <grahamburnettTuesday, February 26, 2002 8:48 PM Yuck>> > cup of tea and poured some soya milk out, one of the solicitors> said *yuck*>> Did it curdle, in which case he may have had a point :-)>> I think it would do the vegan cause a great service if somebody were> to market a non-curdling soya milk...>> Graham>>>> To send an email to - >>

Ever heard of Occam's Razor?

I'll go with the simplest. most obvious explanation thanks, which is anti-veganism.

I struggle too,

Lesley

joeann cantillon [goosy_gander]27 February 2002 13:55 Subject: Re: YuckHi Lesley, > He was obviously> showing extreme anti-vegan prejudice.well was he? how do you know? He may once have had anextremely bad experience with a Soya Milk carton -maybe it had fallen out of the fridge and split milkall over his best suit - Or maybe he had drunk soya milk before and was justadmitting that he thought it was yuck - did Janeyquery him any further as to his reaction?You cant just assume that he was showing anti-veganprejudice when you know nothing about the situation orperson involved. maybe that was Janeys cue (?) to ask him if he'd usedit before? or if he'd like to try some? hey, I dunno - but I must admit I dont get any griefabout being vegan - at the moment I'm having a mix ofsunflower & pumpkin seeds for lunch and people in myoffice are just joining in and having some too - be more positive - dont always see the negative sideof everything - give people the benefit of the doubt -a lot of people are just struggling to exist in aworld obviously gone mad!take it easy, JoeannEverything you'll ever need on one web pagefrom News and Sport to Email and Music Chartshttp://uk.my.To send an email to -

I went through losing career chances because of anti-vegan prejudice. I was framed for doing things wrong I had not done wrong, and forced out of nurse training. I know I did nothing wrong, and I believe it was because I was different (vegan) that I was the target of work bullies, who set out to make me look bad and incompetent. So I know how serious anti-vegan discrimination can be, and sometimes it's much worse than people just looking and saying yuck when you pour soya milk, sometimes the anti-vegans can be much more calculating and scheming and vicious than that, they can get away with it too when there are several of them working together and only one of you, and even the more decent (although omni) colleagues who can see what is happening and think it is wrong sympathise privately but daren't speak up for you for fear that they will be the next target of the bullies. It is a serious issue and needs to be nipped in the bud, it needs to be made clear from the start that anti-vegan discrimination is unacceptable or else it can escalate into real workplace bullying.

I won't post my whole story of what happened to me on here as it is too long, and not of interest to everyone, but if anyone wants to read it, I can email it to them if they ask.

I don't want to scare Janey or Ian or anyone else who is going through some prejudice at work, in their cases it probably won't be like it was for me, my situation was an extreme case, but it does happen.

Lesley

Lesley Dove [Lesley]27 February 2002 14:23 Subject: RE: Yuck

Ever heard of Occam's Razor?

I'll go with the simplest. most obvious explanation thanks, which is anti-veganism.

I struggle too,

Lesley

joeann cantillon [goosy_gander]27 February 2002 13:55 Subject: Re: YuckHi Lesley, > He was obviously> showing extreme anti-vegan prejudice.well was he? how do you know? He may once have had anextremely bad experience with a Soya Milk carton -maybe it had fallen out of the fridge and split milkall over his best suit - Or maybe he had drunk soya milk before and was justadmitting that he thought it was yuck - did Janeyquery him any further as to his reaction?You cant just assume that he was showing anti-veganprejudice when you know nothing about the situation orperson involved. maybe that was Janeys cue (?) to ask him if he'd usedit before? or if he'd like to try some? hey, I dunno - but I must admit I dont get any griefabout being vegan - at the moment I'm having a mix ofsunflower & pumpkin seeds for lunch and people in myoffice are just joining in and having some too - be more positive - dont always see the negative sideof everything - give people the benefit of the doubt -a lot of people are just struggling to exist in aworld obviously gone mad!take it easy, JoeannEverything you'll ever need on one web pagefrom News and Sport to Email and Music Chartshttp://uk.my.To send an email to -

I do the bonus ball at work every week and this week I won £65. Very nice! Every week when someone wins (and on birthdays too) they buy cakes and biscuits for the firm and leave them in the kitchen. I was asked today if I was going to buy cakes and biscuits and I said no because I never eat them when they are in the kitchen, and the never buy them when it is my birthday because I never take anyone else's. Then someone rudely piped up that I should buy a bag of carrots and stick them on the kitchen surface. Yeah right, ha ha!!! They could have said *why don't you buy some vegan biscuits* or something, but they didn't, so I didn't offer! :)

Its like the person at work last week who said he was going to stab a carrot in front of me because I'd laughed at something he said.

Carrots are obviously the thing they think of when they see me. LOL!

Janey

x

I went through losing career chances because of anti-vegan prejudice. I was framed for doing things wrong I had not done wrong, and forced out of nurse training. I know I did nothing wrong, and I believe it was because I was different (vegan) that I was the target of work bullies, who set out to make me look bad and incompetent. So I know how serious anti-vegan discrimination can be, and sometimes it's much worse than people just looking and saying yuck when you pour soya milk, sometimes the anti-vegans can be much more calculating and scheming and vicious than that, they can get away with it too when there are several of them working together and only one of you, and even the more decent (although omni) colleagues who can see what is happening and think it is wrong sympathise privately but daren't speak up for you for fear that they will be the next target of the bullies. It is a serious issue and needs to be nipped in the bud, it needs to be made clear from the start that anti-vegan discrimination is unacceptable or else it can escalate into real workplace bullying.

I won't post my whole story of what happened to me on here as it is too long, and not of interest to everyone, but if anyone wants to read it, I can email it to them if they ask.

I don't want to scare Janey or Ian or anyone else who is going through some prejudice at work, in their cases it probably won't be like it was for me, my situation was an extreme case, but it does happen.

Lesley

Hi Janey,

I dont understand - surely that would have been an

ideal time to buy 'normal' biscuits (albeit vegan) and

leave them in the kitchen - I'm sure most people dont

realise that a lot of biscuits are vegan - They

probably still think in terms of carob and healthy

fruit bars - and then, surely once they knew what

brands were vegan, isn't it possible that they might

buy them the next time they are shopping for the

office (with the little thought in their head 'oh, I

know Janey can eat these, so we'll get a pack') -

btw Lesley, no I've never heard of Occams Razor

Joeann

--- Janey <jane.cuming wrote: >

> Every week when someone wins

> (and on birthdays too) they buy cakes and biscuits

> for the firm and leave them in the kitchen.

> I was asked today if I was going to buy cakes and

> biscuits and I said no because I never eat them when

> they are

> in the kitchen, and the never buy them when it is my

> birthday because I never take anyone else's.

>They could have said *why don't you

> buy some vegan biscuits* or something, but they

> didn't, so I didn't offer! :)

Everything you'll ever need on one web page

from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts

http://uk.my.

Ah, well you've got me there. I don't eat biscuits or cakes so I wasn't

sure that *ordinary* biscuits are often vegan too! I thought that I

probably had to buy some from a health food store. I never take

cakes/biscuits when someone else buys them, so I didn't buy any myself!

Whichever way, I don't eat them anyway, vegan or not!!!!!!

Janey

x

> Hi Janey,

> I dont understand - surely that would have been an

> ideal time to buy 'normal' biscuits (albeit vegan) and

> leave them in the kitchen - I'm sure most people dont

> realise that a lot of biscuits are vegan - They

> probably still think in terms of carob and healthy

> fruit bars - and then, surely once they knew what

> brands were vegan, isn't it possible that they might

> buy them the next time they are shopping for the

> office (with the little thought in their head 'oh, I

> know Janey can eat these, so we'll get a pack') -

> Joeann

---

> I won't post my whole story of what happened to me on here as it is

too

> long, and not of interest to everyone, but if anyone wants to read

it, I can

> email it to them if they ask.

Lesley,

I'd be curious to hear your story.

Chris X

Don't know but I don't wait for the water to boil before making coffee.

Time is precious!!!!

-

<EBbrewpunx

Wednesday, February 27, 2002 4:16 PM

Re: Yuck

> In a message dated 2/26/02 2:49:28 PM Pacific Standard Time,

> angiewright writes:

>

>>

>

> doesn't the teperature have something to do with it?

> if you warm the soy ,ilk, and put it in warm tea(not boiling), it should

be ok

>

> fraggle

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

Lucky Janey,

Mines a pint !!!!!!!

Angie

-

Janey

Wednesday, February 27, 2002 5:53 PM

I do the bonus ball at work every week and this week I won £65. Very nice! Its like the person at work last week who said he was going to stab a carrot in front of me because I'd laughed at something he said.

To send an email to -

, " Angie Wright " <angiewright@n...> wrote:

> Don't know but I don't wait for the water to boil before making

coffee.

> Time is precious!!!!

You could be doing something else whilst waiting for the kettle to

boil!!!!

Graham

No point .It doesn't take long for the water to warm up. Instant coffee

doesn't need boiling water and I don't have to wait for it to cool before

drinking it.

makes sense all round to me (and for the conservationists it saves on

electricity !)

-

Thursday, February 28, 2002 12:09 AM

> , " Angie Wright " <angiewright@n...> wrote:

>

> You could be doing something else whilst waiting for the kettle to

> boil!!!!

>

> Graham

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

I agree about vegan biscuits, if you can get them, Rakusen's Chocolate Digestives are especially delicious for sharing. Also most bourbon biscuits are vegan, Jacobs Lemon Puffs, Crawfords Jam Rings and Pink Wafers, and the Trufree Gluten-free range from Health Food shops are actually Vegan Society approved (my kids like the chocolate chip cookies).

My kids are real biscuit lovers, so these are some of the ones we get, not for me though, other than the odd rich tea biscuit with a cup of tea, I prefer savoury snacks like Walkers Beef and Onion crisps (which are definitely vegan) or Salsa Kettle chips (all fattening so I have cut down).

In a nutshell, Occam's Razor is to do with choosing the simplest and most obvious explanation. There are websites which explain it properly if you do a Google search, but I bet someone who is a real brainbox like Dr Ian would be good at explaining it!

It's possible I used the wrong term anyway, but the point I was making was just that I wouldn't go looking for unlikely and complicated explanations for Janey's colleague's rudeness, I feel that it's usually better to take a comment of "yuck" on face value. If one of your explanations was correct, and he hadn't meant to be rude especially against veganism he would most likely have explained himself and said sorry when he realised he had offended her from the expression on her face.

Lesley

joeann cantillon [goosy_gander]27 February 2002 20:48 Subject: Re: YuckHi Janey, I dont understand - surely that would have been anideal time to buy 'normal' biscuits (albeit vegan) andleave them in the kitchen - I'm sure most people dontrealise that a lot of biscuits are vegan - Theyprobably still think in terms of carob and healthyfruit bars - and then, surely once they knew whatbrands were vegan, isn't it possible that they mightbuy them the next time they are shopping for theoffice (with the little thought in their head 'oh, Iknow Janey can eat these, so we'll get a pack') - btw Lesley, no I've never heard of Occams RazorJoeann--- Janey <jane.cuming wrote: > > Every week when someone wins> (and on birthdays too) they buy cakes and biscuits> for the firm and leave them in the kitchen.> I was asked today if I was going to buy cakes and > biscuits and I said no because I never eat them when> they are> in the kitchen, and the never buy them when it is my> birthday because I never take anyone else's. >They could have said *why don't you> buy some vegan biscuits* or something, but they> didn't, so I didn't offer! :) Everything you'll ever need on one web pagefrom News and Sport to Email and Music Chartshttp://uk.my.To send an email to -

Lesley

Thanks for the info on vegan biscuits. I think that HobNobs are vegan as well.

Jo

I agree about vegan biscuits, if you can get them, Rakusen's Chocolate Digestives are especially delicious for sharing. Also most bourbon biscuits are vegan, Jacobs Lemon Puffs, Crawfords Jam Rings and Pink Wafers, and the Trufree Gluten-free range from Health Food shops are actually Vegan Society approved (my kids like the chocolate chip cookies).

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.324 / Virus Database: 181 - Release 14/02/02

There's a lot more info in the Vegan Shopper, these are just the tip of the iceberg.

I don't go mad for biscuits, but I do miss Jaffa cakes even now though!

They still contain egg.

Lesley

Jo [Heartwork]28 February 2002 12:07 Subject: Re: Yuck

Lesley

Thanks for the info on vegan biscuits. I think that HobNobs are vegan as well.

Jo

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.324 / Virus Database: 181 - Release 14/02/02To send an email to -

Guest guest

joeann cantillon wrote:

>

> Hi Lesley,

> > He was obviously

> > showing extreme anti-vegan prejudice.

>

> well was he? how do you know? He may once have had an

> extremely bad experience with a Soya Milk carton -

> maybe it had fallen out of the fridge and split milk

> all over his best suit -

> Or maybe he had drunk soya milk before and was just

> admitting that he thought it was yuck - did Janey

> query him any further as to his reaction?

Listening to Janey's account, it sounded like he was an unpleasant

person who was delighted to find someone to be appallingly rude to.

I can revise that opinion later if I ever meet him and gain more

information, but it will do for now.

--

Ian McDonald

http://www.mcdonald.me.uk/