IndiaDivine.org

Heaven for Angie

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi Angie,

I believe in my heart and in truth ... we will all go to the same place ...

killer and lover alike and yes, even all our animal friends. How will we

feel when we meet those animals, whose deaths we were responsible for ...

just because we had to have our daily meat.

In Health .... Werner.

-

" Angie Wright " <angiewright

Wednesday, March 06, 2002 1:24 AM

Re: Paganism

> Animals don't apparently so presumably I don't . (Similar enough to

> experiment on)

> If my animals aren't good enough for heaven then I'm not interested either

> Me and my animals are like a union one out -all out !!!

>

> Angie

>

> -

> " Dr Ian McDonald " <ian

>

> Tuesday, March 05, 2002 11:30 PM

> Re: Paganism

>

>

> > Heck, it took the Church long enough to say that women could have

> > *souls* ... several hundred years, in fact.

> >

> > -----

> >

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

Guest guest

I believe in nothing after this life, I am an atheist, and that is why I am so in favour of respecting sentient life. I believe that this life is all we, no second chances, and it's all the animals get too. It is scary but I believe you only live once. If we kill an animal or an unborn child, we have (very likely) wiped them out for ever. This is why for me taking life is so serious.

I think it's weird how on some issues religious people tend to be more in favour of respecting life than atheists. Since the religious people believe in an afterlife, or reincarnation, it always seems to me that they would be less likely to be pro-life or vegan since death is not the end, so is a less serious business for them.

Lesley

Werner [mejda6]07 March 2002 00:54 Subject: Re: Heaven for AngieHi Angie,I believe in my heart and in truth ... we will all go to the same place ...killer and lover alike and yes, even all our animal friends. How will wefeel when we meet those animals, whose deaths we were responsible for ...just because we had to have our daily meat.In Health .... Werner.-"Angie Wright" <angiewrightWednesday, March 06, 2002 1:24 AMRe: Paganism> Animals don't apparently so presumably I don't . (Similar enough to> experiment on)> If my animals aren't good enough for heaven then I'm not interested either> Me and my animals are like a union one out -all out !!!>> Angie>> -> "Dr Ian McDonald" <ian> > Tuesday, March 05, 2002 11:30 PM> Re: Paganism>>> > Heck, it took the Church long enough to say that women could have> > *souls* ... several hundred years, in fact.> >> > -----> >>>>> To send an email to - >>

Guest guest

Hi Lesley

> Since the religious people believe in an afterlife, or reincarnation, it always seems to me that they

> would be less likely to be pro-life or vegan since death is not the end, so is a less serious business for them.

I'd have actually thought it was the other way around - if you don't believe in anything "after" the physical life, then provided death is painless, so what? You're not going to be missing anything when you're dead!

There are probably 3 different "religious" viewpoints which could all lead to a respect for life:

1. Big chap in the sky telling you what to do, and condemning you to eternal suffering if you don't behave yourself.

2. Reincarnation - when you come back, you might be the cow that a human is going to eat - you therefore have much more respect for cows, because you might end up as one. There's also often "Karma" associated with this which dictates that if you are particularly cruel in life, you will be treated badly when you are reincarnated. Very good reason to be vegan!

3. That when we die we move onto another plane of existence - this is the only chance we'll ever have to experience the "physical" world - would you want to meet all the people / animals that you had deprived of that experience in another existence? ("You" being a generic term here!)

Alternatively - nothing outside this life.....I think that tends to lead to people basing conclusions on what they can justify logically, rather than emotionally - this means that they see animals who do not have the same skills as humans, thereby consider them to be inferior, and therefore consider their lives of lesser significance than humans. And what does it matter if a lesser life form ceases to exist?

Of course, there will always be exceptions to these examples :-)

BB

Peter

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.324 / Virus Database: 181 - Release 14/02/02

Guest guest

I'm very emotional about the idea of ceasing to exist actually, I don't like the idea of dying too soon, and expect others not to like the idea! If there was an afterlife (in my belief), I would think so what, if you die, you have something more afterwards, so dying young is no big worry. But if this is all we get, I want a long life, and I don't want other sentient beings' lives cut short either. Makes perfect sense to me! But I'm an atypical atheist and frequently find myself agreeing with religious people on many moral issues, often more than I agree with other atheists. I've considered joining the Humanists, but I think I am so different from most of them.

Lesley

Peter [snowbow]07 March 2002 16:38 Subject: Re: Heaven for Angie

Hi Lesley

> Since the religious people believe in an afterlife, or reincarnation, it always seems to me that they

> would be less likely to be pro-life or vegan since death is not the end, so is a less serious business for them.

I'd have actually thought it was the other way around - if you don't believe in anything "after" the physical life, then provided death is painless, so what? You're not going to be missing anything when you're dead!

There are probably 3 different "religious" viewpoints which could all lead to a respect for life:

1. Big chap in the sky telling you what to do, and condemning you to eternal suffering if you don't behave yourself.

2. Reincarnation - when you come back, you might be the cow that a human is going to eat - you therefore have much more respect for cows, because you might end up as one. There's also often "Karma" associated with this which dictates that if you are particularly cruel in life, you will be treated badly when you are reincarnated. Very good reason to be vegan!

3. That when we die we move onto another plane of existence - this is the only chance we'll ever have to experience the "physical" world - would you want to meet all the people / animals that you had deprived of that experience in another existence? ("You" being a generic term here!)

Alternatively - nothing outside this life.....I think that tends to lead to people basing conclusions on what they can justify logically, rather than emotionally - this means that they see animals who do not have the same skills as humans, thereby consider them to be inferior, and therefore consider their lives of lesser significance than humans. And what does it matter if a lesser life form ceases to exist?

Of course, there will always be exceptions to these examples :-)

BB

Peter

---Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.324 / Virus Database: 181 - Release 14/02/02To send an email to -