IndiaDivine.org

Harley question from Shelloid...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Here are some links for you - you may have to cut and past since sometimes my links won't work right. The first one is the vegan motorcyclist page by Carl Olsen out of Seattle - he has LOADS of good informtion onriding gear, etc. There is also a vegan motorcyclist that you can link to on his website - there are about 47 of us on it. I bought my Marsee Ballistic 4 jacket from one of the companies listed here, just ordered draggin' jeans, bought my steel toed black engineer boots at Payless, and my non-leather saddle bags at Harley (they sell a nice set now, embossed with the HD eagle and all). As far as seats, they are mostly leather but see the links below. You can now order new ones - the solo seat for my bike ran about $250.00 but I think they are higher now.

I currently have my second bike which is a 2001 Sportster that I bought in October 2000. My first bike was a 1973 Sporster with the right hand (foot) shift that I bought in a bunch of boxes and put together. As far as insurance, it really isn't that much. I don't know what you pay for the Moto Guzzi but I pay $287 per year for full coverage - this is year round not 9 months. Dairyland insurances my ex's bike for $340 per year - he has an fully decked electra glide (all the luggage). My coverage doesn't include any riders but I did bump up my comp/collission and I have uninsured motorist (which is not required here and that is the most expensive out here). My price was based on 1 year riding and a safety course (I had sold the other bike 3 years earlier). My age (39) and being female may have made it a bit lower but check around because if you are riding and have been riding, I've found that 'ole person Harley's are usually cheaper than the "crotch rockets" (hehehe!!). Also, the Harleys are decent priced now (still more expensive) but I bought the Sportster for $800 down and financed through my bank not Harley at 7.5% - my payments are $154 per month (5 years).

http://waterjets.org/vegan_motorcyclist.html

Some non-leather options for Seats:

Corbin: http://www.corbin.com/material/index.html Sargent: http://www.sargentcycle.com/prodover.htm

Randy says, " Also, try www.RickMayerCycle.com . He is the son of the legendary Bill Mayer and has many years of saddle-making experience behind him. ALthough he does have a leather option, his "default" material is a high grade, US made vinyl (naugahyde). He's a nice guy, besides! "

For another non-leather option for the riding public: http://www.billmayersaddles.com

http://waterjets.org/vegan_motorcyclist.html

-

shelloid

Sunday, April 07, 2002 8:16 AM

Re: New poll for

what sort of harley is it? I love harleys but could never afford the insurance on one ( I'm only 22). At the moment I have a Moto Guzzi 750.

By the way one thing I was wondering - don't most bikes have leather seats? Mine doesn't but I know that my last bike did.

Shelloid

-

Pgh Pam

Sunday, April 07, 2002 3:04 AM

Re: New poll for

I no longer buy or wear leather. All of my motorcycle apparel is now non-leather. I gave all my leather apparel away (motorcycle apparel, shoes, belts, purses, etc.) and have since replaced it with non-leather items.

-

Saturday, April 06, 2002 8:26 PM

New poll for

Enter your vote today! A new poll has been created for the group:As a vegan, how do you deal with the leather issue? o I'll continue to buy & wear leather o I'll no longer buy leather but will wear my old stuff till it wears out o I won't wear it or buy it any more To vote, please visit the following web page:/polls Note: Please do not reply to this message. Poll votes are not collected via email. To vote, you must go to the web site listed above.Thanks!To send an email to -

Guest guest

The harleys would probably be much more expesive over there too!!!

-

shelloid

Sunday, April 07, 2002 12:40 PM

Re: Harley question from Shelloid...

Thanks for the info on the insurance, but have to say coz I am in UK I have no idea what the insurance for my Guzzi would be to you US peeps.

I am a member of the vegan motorcycle , but have never posted,more of a lurker there, but all the links that have come up on that group are great!!

ShelloidTo send an email to -

Guest guest

Thanks for the info on the insurance, but have to say coz I am in UK I have no idea what the insurance for my Guzzi would be to you US peeps.

I am a member of the vegan motorcycle , but have never posted,more of a lurker there, but all the links that have come up on that group are great!!

Shelloid